zukov

arma 3 on game on linux

One topic is enough, no need to start several.

The whole point of this forum is for people to talk about it, isn't it?

The whole point of this forum is for people to talk about it, isn't it?

True, my post sounds a little harsh.

• Like 1

I am currently installing it now I will report on the success of game launch... my system specs are

Radeon R290

Lubuntu 14.04 AMD64

AMD FX-8320 4.2ghz overclocked

ASUS Formula V Crosshair Motherboard

16g DDR3 1866 RAM

Mushkin SSD 120G

mutliarch working.. most all my steam games work.

dying light, metro last light redux and so on....

Hi! I have installed Arma3 on Linux, and, guys, i have no words to describe it! I'll try to resume my impressions of it.

**PROS**
With the same settings as on Windows, my FPS on Linux (Debian) went from the interval 16-20 to 22-25;
No huge FPS spikes;
Sound = working superb!;
Played the part I of the campaign without any problems (like crashes/etc);

**CONS**

Just a problem with dual monitors and fullscreen (NVidia GPU). Cant use the mouse on the menus; on game, playing it, it works superb!;
   *If I switch to fullscreen windowed or windowed, mouse works ok on menus (same goes if i disable one of the monitors);
   *Arma thinks my second monitor is the main one, with fullscreen;
   *Different version than most of the servers, which made me unable to play it online

B.I., keep up with the awesome work! Thank you very much for this game on Linux! Just try to give us the same patch version as windows!!! :-)

I can confirm what samir666 said about the sound working and the gameplay working. I can also confirm that on the main menu the mouse is not working but keyboard keys are. I am also using a multi monitor setup (3). Window mode the mouse starts working on the main menu but the resolution is bad. I also noticed using the process monitor that arma3 seems to be using multiple threads (10+).

I really want this port to succeed so I can play breaking point with my friends.

Keep up the good work team!

Specs

Fedora 22 - Build 4.1.6-200.fc22.x86_64 - Nvidia 346.72

i7 3820k - Asus 750 ti - 32GB - 2x S840 Pro Raid 0

Arma 3 for Linux is cool news! I played all through OFP 1 + 2, Arma 2 and DayZ in my previous W$ life.

Since Valve started to port games to Linux, I'm only buying games for Linux, because I like to support the OS.

It's money that lets company get interested in you.

I've read an article about Arma 3 and Linux on a news site. But the Steam store does not mention Linux support.

But as I've found this thread, I immediately bought it. Downloading took 9 minutes @28MB/s.

Now I can start to learn the successor of OFP and Arma 2.. :-)

Thanx for supporting the Pengiun!

There is 1 or 2 multiplayer servers setup for Linux/Mac users atm. One is Insurgency one which doesn't appear to get much attention, I tried it out a few times. Maybe someday I will log on when people are actually online.

• Like 1

Hm, interestating idea. More servers running with Linux client setup could lead to the more interest of players.

• Like 1

wow. i did not even know it was an expermental port. i use linux these days basicly only. and downloaded it when i saw the game was on sale ahha i just assume all games work on linux now.. probly shoudl check... did not even notice anything wrong, works very smooth till i tired to go multi-player. andd like nooo serivers was confused about version nums.. now undersand.. really hope they update it to the 1.52 or whatever. also noticed some of the workshop things when you try to launch hard crash it. :( butt. overall preformce seems smoth as silk. hoppppe they keep work. just wantaaa post to show support! linuxxxxxgameeezzz forevrrrr! yah!. i never wanta go back to windows. i have a orcial vertual box and steam there too but hate useing it. always a pain in the a$z. and between that, wine, and runonlinux can get most to work butt if im doin that im goina just get cracked gamez. i like payin for stuff when it works on linux no issue. but, i expect they still support. more people should use linux these days. its soo smoth and easy to use. basicly getttin eveyone i know to switch over.  if they dont NEED a windows box. mizwellll. basicly thesedays eveythign is there. and hopefully games keep goin. not sure what "limitations" they really mean, i guess i should boot it up in windows and see if anything is diffrent but cant really see other then more onlineness.. could be different. anywhzozozo hopepe see eyazzz all in the gamelandzzzzzzzzz.. and keep up the demandzzz for more! yah!

Hi BI. Can you, please, release a version compatible with multiplayer's server/windows version??? I REALLY wanna play it online! So far, played all the 1st campaign, but i am missing MultiPlayer action, with a low ping to servers (i live in brazil, and the old version servers are way too " lagged"/high latency for me to play. Thank you very much!

Nice port & keep on rockin!!!

@_Zepalz @samir666 There is a "legacyports - Legacy Build (1.42 - ports)" branch available in the Steam Library Properties for the Windows client, and SITREP #00128 states:

We are planning to update the experimental client port betas shortly after Nexus Update 1.54, so that players on Linux and Mac can benefit from all additions, fixes and tweaks as well. This will not be a simultaneous release, but we'll try to get it out reasonably soon after the Windows primary version.

Hoping for the next updates so i can join friends without switching back to win***s.
I did buy arma only because it came to linux, i hope it will stay stay on linux.

Hoping for the next updates so i can join friends without switching back to win***s.

I did buy arma only because it came to linux, i hope it will stay stay on linux.

Me, too and it's a shame thats the Linuxversion don't get any update after 1.54

On 16.8.2017 at 11:26 PM, Korbut_Cheka said:

When on LINUX version of the game will be like on Windows?

If I would have to guess, you won't be getting the full windows experience on linux until windows version runs on wine. And thats fine with me, I'm not interested to eg. give root privleges to battleye. There are lots of things to consider in multi-platform game developement, if you are interested take a look at linux gaming sites for articles about those. I'm patiently waiting for the 64-bit version to come some day.