Multiplayer support is there, we're just on a different version, for which only very few servers exist.

Also, SteamOS is Linux, not just "in valve's eyes" :b

Yeah i know. I have Kubuntu image ready to install, just waiting till 2016 when MAYBE arma will be updated,  and they apply new features they are working on now. Thats all reasons why i keeping Windows now it wasnt worth 100$ i think..... I buyed W7 (year ago) just to know they will stop support it and they forcing me (by the agressive way) to buy W10. No way, i will never use their "service" beacuse W10 is service, what i will have to paying for after year of using with no way back to W7 (i have only month to get back). Kubuntu is best from linux for game as i heard, is it true? SteamOS is better or what? I heared its in beta....

Well, when SteamOS is released, I assume it will be "the best" for Linux Gaming.

About Kubuntu, I had it a few months ago, and they just made the switch to KDE5 in 15.04, and that is currently a bit unstable (frequent crashes of the Desktop Environment), but maybe that's different now.

I am on Linux Mint 17.2, and I cannot complain about it, all my games run fine, and as it is based on Debian, you get to install the same software packages as with Ubuntu/Kubuntu.

Actually Linux Mint is even the most popular Distro, see http://distrowatch.com/

And I don't really see how any Distro is more suited for gaming than another, but I am new in the Linux World too, just made the switch earlier the year, when I heard ArmA3 ports are being worked on ^^

I'm using Ubuntu MATE 15.04 Kernel 3.19 with latest FGLRX drivers on my 390x and things run pretty good. Still performance issues in areas and hopefully next-generation of AMDGPU drivers will solve that when they finally 100% have them going for latest games and all.

This is the best distro I have used so far, REALLY enjoying MATE desktop and going back to simple DEB packages/ubuntu again, and I have tried pretty much ALL the major distros (ARCH/FED/so many I can't remember). Trick with Ubuntu is to not rely on the included repositories for AMD/Nvidia drivers, they often have no one maintaining them so get outdated. There are some nice maintained PPAs for each hardware vendor if your willing to look/read a bit.

Also as for this port, we need BIS to understand that IF THEY BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME philosophy, because I can assure them that if they release latest update for ARMA3 Linux/Mac and figure out a solution for BattleEye (such as waiving requirement for port OS's for time being) then they might be surprised by the adoption rate.

Allot of Linux/Mac gamers don't show up on the statistic radar because the games they play simply don't exist on their platform of choice, if more support existed for the games beforehand then they will see a rise in adoption rate, and I think its time for the WORLD to move away from Windows IMO!

• Like 3

I'm using Ubuntu MATE 15.04 Kernel 3.19 with latest FGLRX drivers on my 390x and things run pretty good. Still performance issues in areas and hopefully next-generation of AMDGPU drivers will solve that when they finally 100% have them going for latest games and all.

This is the best distro I have used so far, REALLY enjoying MATE desktop and going back to simple DEB packages/ubuntu again, and I have tried pretty much ALL the major distros (ARCH/FED/so many I can't remember). Trick with Ubuntu is to not rely on the included repositories for AMD/Nvidia drivers, they often have no one maintaining them so get outdated. There are some nice maintained PPAs for each hardware vendor if your willing to look/read a bit.

Also as for this port, we need BIS to understand that IF THEY BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME philosophy, because I can assume them that if they release latest update for ARMA3 Linux/Mac and figure out a solution for BattleEye (such as waiving requirement for port OS's for time being) then they might be surprised by the adoption rate.

Allot of Linux/Mac gamers don't show up on the statistic radar because the games they play simply don't exist on their platform of choice, if more support existed for the games beforehand then they will see a rise in adoption rate, and I think its time for the WORLD to move away from Windows IMO!

As well as make the switch to Vulkan API instead of DirectX 12. Especially since Vulkan is platform Agnostic whereas DirectX 12 is not.

• Like 3

As well as make the switch to Vulkan API instead of DirectX 12. Especially since Vulkan is platform Agnostic whereas DirectX 12 is not.

I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.

It seems to me that BI is struggling a bit when it comes to upgrading their Engine, and with DX12 and Vulkan being very low level, that would probably cause a too massive re-write of the Engine as that it would happen in the near future.

Also with Vulkan only releasing end of the year / beginning of next year, and ArmA 4 possibly coming in 2 years there is simply not enough time, imo.

But of course would I love to see ArmA 4 running on Vulkan :P

• Like 2

I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.

It seems to me that BI is struggling a bit when it comes to upgrading their Engine, and with DX12 and Vulkan being very low level, that would probably cause a too massive re-write of the Engine as that it would happen in the near future.

Also with Vulkan only releasing end of the year / beginning of next year, and ArmA 4 possibly coming in 2 years there is simply not enough time, imo.

But of course would I love to see ArmA 4 running on Vulkan :P

I would normally agree with you on this except for the fact that Van'Landt stated that they are going to move to DirectX 12 in Arma 3. He said this in a tweet a couple months ago. I think they should use Vulkan instead since it is already essentially completed. They are just fine tuning some stuff. I say it is complete because Imagination Tech is already hosting webinars for devs on how to use Vulkan.

http://blog.imgtec.com/powervr/5-new-webinars-on-the-vulkan-api

• Like 1

Woah, really? That's good news to hear!

Did he post that on his personal twitter? I think I'm not following him yet :D

About Vulkan: It's still not released yet, and I don't know how they could implement something that is not released.

Also, Vulkan is successor to OpenGL, so it's just a graphics API. Now don't forget DirectX is an API compilation, not just a graphics API, so maybe they are using something else than just Direct3D and thus cannot exchange it?

But agreed, they should implement Vulkan!

Woah, really? That's good news to hear!

Did he post that on his personal twitter? I think I'm not following him yet :D

About Vulkan: It's still not released yet, and I don't know how they could implement something that is not released.

Also, Vulkan is successor to OpenGL, so it's just a graphics API. Now don't forget DirectX is an API compilation, not just a graphics API, so maybe they are using something else than just Direct3D and thus cannot exchange it?

But agreed, they should implement Vulkan!

Actually, Vulkan is not just a graphics API. Vulkan and DirectX 12 accomplish the same task from two different approaches. Vulkan actually does not contain any OpenGL code. It was written from scratch. And, it is released. Just not publicly. Hence why there are working Intel and Nvidia demos of the Vulkan API drivers.

vulkan_slide06.jpg

VulkanFeatureSets.png

Vulkan-API-4.jpg

vulkan-based-on-mantle.jpg

• Like 1

I know Vulkan is written from scratch, but it is still OpenGL's successor (replacement), never said it included OpenGL code.

And what I mean is Vulkan handles graphics, like OpenGL, but DirectX includes Direct3D, XInput, XAudio etc.

But anyway, let's not get into a discussion about that too much, this is still a thread for ArmA 3 Port, not for discussion about graphics APIs :P

Actually guys, porting DX12 to Vulkan is going to be far easier for BIS then say porting DX11 to OpenGL (which is why they handed it to 3rd party). Once Vulkan comes out and devs start showing it off (including Valve with SteamOS) then I think companies like BIS will see the value in it over a closed narrow platform API solution (dx12).

It will still take time for them to achieve API ports but not as long as some of you seem to think, it doesn't take years for developers to move to DX12, thus likewise with Vulkan. (we are going to get a whole heap of DX12 games/updates at end of year, and it's only been out since Windows10, not long at all).

• Like 1

We are planning to update the experimental client port betas shortly after Nexus Update 1.54, so that players on Linux and Mac can benefit from all additions, fixes and tweaks as well. This will not be a simultaneous release, but we'll try to get it out reasonably soon after the Windows primary version.

http://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00128

• Like 5

We are planning to update the experimental client port betas shortly after Nexus Update 1.54, so that players on Linux and Mac can benefit from all additions, fixes and tweaks as well. This will not be a simultaneous release, but we'll try to get it out reasonably soon after the Windows primary version.

http://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00128

Holy moly.... i'm installing Kubuntu then.....

Hell yeah!

I just wonder how they will proceed with updating afterwards...

The possiblities are either:

1. we get every update after 1.54 slightly delayed

2. we get the 2 major updates (Eden and Apex)

3. we don't get updates again

I don't believe 3. will happen, but I doubt possiblity 1 too... though I really hope that's the way it will turn out...

Edit:

I just started some scripting in ArmA again, and to reload my script in my preview mission I have to restart the game. Someone please remind me if it always was that way, because I though it was enough to reload the mission in the editor. Or is this a Port specific problem? I don't want to report it as long as I am not sure.

• Like 1

Restart the game? tried exiting the editor and going back in?  If the script is external (best method of testing) then it should reload it if you do a preview of the map (continue doesn't). You could also try including the script inside the editor, again I don't know what method you're using.

Also the update info is nice news, I really do wonder about the cost of paying VP to make each patch compatible, does the cost go down after they have initial port sorted? I surely hope so!

Yes, that is what I thought, that previewing reloaded the script, that's how I remembered it from Windows, but I had to restart the whole game to reload it. (eON wrapper problem?)

It's scripts in my mission folder that I call over init.sqf and init lines, so I guess that's external.

Have some video proof, because proof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9gvRpcpR1A

will the tools be ported to linux aswell ? or is it already possible, i have not tried if they work with wine or any other emulator, steam says not available.

(i am a total noob when it comes to linux and windows programs running in wine etc.)

if the ports are going to lag behind it would be nice to have tools for personal use and maybe modders can adjust current mods to linux so we have more online options.

this would really benefit the overall community and player base.

• Like 1

Hi all, I am both new to the forum and the game (downloading it as I type).

I am currently not able to start a new topic so thought that this would be the appropriate place to say thank you to both Bohemia Interactive & Virtual Programming for making this game available on Linux.

People state that porting a game to Linux is not worth the developers time, and that may be true, to some degree. As far as gaming is concerned, I look at Linux as an open frontier in that a development team would have very little in the way of competition (i.e you are not going to be competing with the likes of Battlefield & COD for market share)

The only game I have played and liked (sorry War Thunder) on a Linux OS so far is Wargame : Red Dragon from the French development team, Eugen. It is a cool game but does not compare to a game like ARMA 3. So again, I say thank you for taking on what I can only imagine would be a big task that has any number of issues to overcome, bravo Bohemia Interactive & Virual Programming...*tips his hat*.

Anyway, armed with Linux Mint 17.2, an i7 4770k that has the indicator-cpufreq applet set to performance, an ASUS B-85M-G motherboard (set to performance) and a ASUS GTX660 with the Nvidia X Server Settings set to "prefer maximum performance" I am thinking that my rig should be able to handle the demands of the game (could do with a better graphics card but it does sit between the minimum requirements and the recommend requirements, in any case,  if it blows up after 10 minutes of gameplay I will simply buy a bigger one!) and that once it has finished downloading,  I should be good to go.

PS If anyone has any tips or information that could be handy for someone playing this game via a Linux OS I would love to hear from you.

I think developing games for Linux is worth it now thanks to Valve and SteamOS giving it some attention. And AMD/NVIDIA are also developing new generation of drivers for their hardware, so the future looks good for Linux. Developers must just get over the lack of short term rewards, people will buy the game and gradually migrate over by having ARMA3 fully updated and functional in Linux. You can't realistically expect everyone to buy and play your game when its largely outdated and dysfunctional in multiplayer because of it (the main component).

Most people will sit on the fence and WAIT until VP releases an update that allows Linux and Mac users to play on the Windows servers. Speaking of witch, doesn't the Linux dedicated server support BattleEye? is perplexing that it only allows for Windows users.

• Like 1

Which means that if you want to experience the new standard for Linux Gaming, you need to move to Debian OS Stable. I believe the version is 8.x now.

• Like 1

Thats sad, most of programs/games was written for Windows without thinking of Linux :( I'm fresh here, but when I was reinstalling Windows and it was not capable to format HDD on install process, and i first time pushed linux DVD into my disc drive, AND I SAW SYSTEM WAS WORKING EVEN WITHOUT INSTALATION, i was damm impressed, impression was rising when it formated my HDD which Windows wasnt able to, wheen i add Windows Security which is working on my nerws...... I hope Linux version will be fully functionally and optimalised, beacuse i see bigger future for it. AND LINUX IS FREE..... Of course its little hard (for me) to fully understand Linux, but people are learning whole life. I'm still not selected Linux for myself, its lot of versions....... Every is talking diferent about it, but Linux is something that my PC will meet soon anyway. Honestly i just waiting till Windows 7 will not be supported fully.

• Like 1

Guys, I think you underestimate a tad the developers (and editors). They certainly are aware that in the mid-long term it is a necessity to get rid as much as possible of the dependencies towards microsoft/windows. Thus, the tactical/economical value of developing the gaming market on linux is IMO pretty high.

So I think that linux's gaming future is pretty bright, it is only a matter of time.

• Like 1

I'm still not selected Linux for myself, its lot of versions....... Every is talking diferent about it, but Linux is something that my PC will meet soon anyway. Honestly i just waiting till Windows 7 will not be supported fully.

If you are playing on AMD Graphics, I wouldn't take a KDE-based Distribution (I know you initially planned) at the moment, as you might encounter FPS drops with it: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fedora-23-desktops&num=1

I recently installed Manjaro (KDE Version), and performance in all games was significantly lower than with Gnome Shell, which I normally use. I'm using the AMD HD7950.

If you are playing on AMD Graphics, I wouldn't take a KDE-based Distribution (I know you initially planned) at the moment, as you might encounter FPS drops with it: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fedora-23-desktops&num=1

I recently installed Manjaro (KDE Version), and performance in all games was significantly lower than with Gnome Shell, which I normally use. I'm using the AMD HD7950.

again, move to the Debian 8.x 64bit release. It is the base upon which SteamOS sits. If you must have kernel 4.2.x, use something like xubuntu for minimal performance degradation. Also, if you are using the latest kernel released with 15.10, you should have access to the latest AMDGPU driver stack for 4.2.x.

Hi all,

I am wondering if someone would know if (and possibly when) the BattlEye Anti Cheat System is going to be added to the expiremenatl ports?

The reason that I ask is that when taking a look at Multiplayer for the first time I noticed that there were a few servers that are running the same version of the game. The problem is that each time I joined a server that is running the same version of the game I was kicked off within a minute becuse BattEye client couold not be found, it seems that without Battleye present I am not going to be able to play multiplayer at all, regardless of the server version.

Thanks for any assistance and clarification.

again, move to the Debian 8.x 64bit release. It is the base upon which SteamOS sits. If you must have kernel 4.2.x, use something like xubuntu for minimal performance degradation. Also, if you are using the latest kernel released with 15.10, you should have access to the latest AMDGPU driver stack for 4.2.x.

Si this would be good?

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.2.0/amd64/bt-cd/

Sorry for so much questions.... Your words feels unknown for me, as i dont know the pages, names for it.

My PC is:

i5 4690 4 x 3.5Ghz

Radeon R9 270oc 2 GB

8 GB ram