which will mean they could make patches internally instead of paying a company every time they release a major update?

Doesn't sound like there's much of a chance of that until after Apex, part of the reason for outsourcing was to focus the internal teams on the expansion.

• Like 1

Good news people, the next patch for the port is nigh.

Bad news is that it's version 1.54, not 1.56 :(

But BI also reported that BattleEye support is most certainly coming.

• Like 1

The new version has low texture setting issue, and for me and open-source drivers AMD 390x I get issues loading the scenery, I can spawn ok in VR or FAR out in the ocean on a boat but if I travel toward the island (any) it crashes within 3-4km range. I did submit a bug report when it crashed so maybe someone will resolve the issue.  By memory it mentioned some problem with a texture shader issue.

Hi! BIS, thank you for port - it works good. System: Gentoo amd64, nvidia (nvidia-drivers), ALSA (without pulse). FPS ~60 on GTX480. A3 launcher is needed ;)

Interesting news in the last  SITREP 00153

"

• BattlEye started kicking clients who took too long to download custom scenarios. This was temporarily mitigated by setting a longer timeout, but a proper fix is being sought. The silver lining is that these changes to the BE implementation lay the groundwork for support in the Linux and Mac ports."

I've beaten half the campaign so far on my mac, runs just as well as my windows pc did (yeah, i had a potato.)

Scenarios seem to work fine.

Haven't had any luck trying to manually install mods, must be doing it wrong.

Either way, this is an amazing game to port, and I can't wait for it to get updated some more!

You should be able to play almost all the mods. I'm running it on an iMac 5K and haven't found a mod that doesn't work. Mods should go into ~/library/application support/steam/steamapps/common/Arma 3. When in game go to "configure" and you can enable your mods there.

Hi!

This is mainly for developers and other people in Bohemia Interactive (like sales persons) if anyone from there are reading this.

I have not heard much about ports. I can say this Arma 3 port is one of the best port for Linux. I will hope you will update ports soon to same stage as Windows version. I am waiting new Apex expansion, but I don't buy it if doesn't install to my computer. I can say I was Windows user for years, but I have not any means to install Windows anymore. I am complete Linux user at now. What I have tested Linux version it will work really well. You have one of the best Linux ports in your hands. So I don't see any reasons why not to make ports official and bring them same level as Windows version. Maybe you are doing much work for that, but I have not seen much talk about that in your news. I will understand some middleware will have some things to do, but BattleEye is already for Linux. I don't know what is situation about rotorlib. And can't say anything about OS X version. I will hope you bring soon official ports.

Best regards!

• Like 2

Hi!

This is mainly for developers and other people in Bohemia Interactive (like sales persons) if anyone from there are reading this.

I have not heard much about ports. I can say this Arma 3 port is one of the best port for Linux. I will hope you will update ports soon to same stage as Windows version. I am waiting new Apex expansion, but I don't buy it if doesn't install to my computer. I can say I was Windows user for years, but I have not any means to install Windows anymore. I am complete Linux user at now. What I have tested Linux version it will work really well. You have one of the best Linux ports in your hands. So I don't see any reasons why not to make ports official and bring them same level as Windows version. Maybe you are doing much work for that, but I have not seen much talk about that in your news. I will understand some middleware will have some things to do, but BattleEye is already for Linux. I don't know what is situation about rotorlib. And can't say anything about OS X version. I will hope you bring soon official ports.

Best regards!

+1 I know a lot of people on Linux/Mac that would of pre-ordered Apex if only it was available to their platform. 

I hope BIS understands that the egg needs to come before the chicken in this situation. I will be interested in buying APEX (as a upgrade?) but only IF they update the port versions to work online with Windows users (that means 1.60+ and battleye). I can live with the smaller issues for the time being (such as texture resolution selection issues and OSS not working right).

Atm Linux is undergoing allot of driver updates and development, the AMDGPU-PRO driver is still beta thus most people will not use it (the AMD website also mis-informs people on what hardware it can function under). NVIDIA seems to be for the most part driver ready under Linux however.

Anyway, if ARMA3 and APEX is there in the Steam Linux store, it will be bought over time as Linux stuff comes out of beta and makes it more viable platform. I don't think its a good idea to just WAIT, Linux users are not like Windows users whom only buy the NEWEST titles released in that week, Linux users will seek out games that work on their platform, even if there not new releases...

I already buyed apex, waiting for stable release. (Beacuse why not!?) ;)

I'm pretty excited for this. For a non native port it runs amazingly well on Nvidia hardware.

1.58 is out, but is unfortunately still way behind main branch. Again.

Recent BI Tools produce content incompatible with even the most recent legacy port 1.58 (e.g. p3d version 71 and such). This makes recent versions of mods (e.g. CUP mods) unusable in legacy ports.

Recently released missions use modern scripting commands, etc. All this makes Steam Workshop infrastructure unusable. Getting older versions of content is problematic or even impossible.

So players not only limited in their experience because of inability to play with mainstream players, but also because of lack of content provided by community.

All this legacy port thingy needs a bit more of forward compatibility.

• Like 1

So there is no Apex yet on linux? How the situation is looking like in details? I was close to install Debian today....

So there is no Apex yet on linux? How the situation is looking like in details? I was close to install Debian today....

expansion directory is here and weighs (only) 5.2 GiB, and I couldn't find a way to use it (so no Apex yet). I guess we have the same ArmA 1.58 as you had on Windows on April 21st, 2016 (or, I hope, on April 28th, hotfix). Except there's no launcher to manage mods and other settings, so you will have to cope with launch parameters in Steam.

Very few active servers to play on, very few players to play with.

• Like 1

Well, i'll wait till 1.64 on Linux, then installing it. But Windows.... ech.... maybe i'll switch to Linux when arma reach 1.60.

Apparently they're skipping it to jump straight to Apex (1.62)... but that won't arrive until 1.64 hits Windows.

Apparently they're skipping it to jump straight to Apex (1.62)... but that won't arrive until 1.64 hits Windows.

That mean, my Debian is going to travel on disc very soon (yay!)

1.58 is out, but is unfortunately still way behind main branch. Again.
Recent BI Tools produce content incompatible with even the most recent legacy port 1.58 (e.g. p3d version 71 and such). This makes recent versions of mods (e.g. CUP mods) unusable in legacy ports.
Recently released missions use modern scripting commands, etc. All this makes Steam Workshop infrastructure unusable. Getting older versions of content is problematic or even impossible.
So players not only limited in their experience because of inability to play with mainstream players, but also because of lack of content provided by community.
All this legacy port thingy needs a bit more of forward compatibility.

This is why they'll never get an accurate impression of the demand for these ports. If Linux/Mac users can't join in as many MP games, if they can't use most of mods, if they can't play the latest content and most importantly if the ports are never more than an 'experiment' then they aren't going to hand over their money to buy the games. You just have to look at all the comments from users at GamingOnLinux who refused to buy the game on principal, arguing that if BI decide the experiment has 'failed' and stop maintaining the ports their money will have been wasted.

Even many existing Windows players who would like to switch to linux would be put off by all these limitations.

As I typed all of the above, I realised that it could even be taken by BI as an argument to abandon the ports because they are more trouble than they are worth. I really, really hope that doesn't happen - what the Unix community wants is BI to just a commit more to the ports.

• Like 2

Since MS is heading in the wrong direction with W10 - IMO of course - and it looks like W7 will be my last Windows version, it's great to read about your positive experience with the Beta port.

Quite impressive it's pretty much on par with the Windows version since I'm considering switching to Linux as my main OS and I'm sure I'm not alone due to MS dirty tactics trying to force feed W10 to everyone! They actually lost all credibility with me and I've been a Windows user since 2.11...

/KC

• Like 1

Since MS is heading in the wrong direction with W10 - IMO of course - and it looks like W7 will be my last Windows version, it's great to read about your positive experience with the Beta port.

Quite impressive it's pretty much on par with the Windows version since I'm considering switching to Linux as my main OS and I'm sure I'm not alone due to MS dirty tactics trying to force feed W10 to everyone! They actually lost all credibility with me and I've been a Windows user since 2.11...

/KC

Not only you ;) For me 7 is last Windows. They can force mo to move to 10 by baseball bats, machineguns, grenades, but i will never do that. My brother just switched to 10 in last days it was possible, i'll look how it will work. But he is planing upgrade of his PC, so i think he is in troubles :D .