Have any of you Linux users installed VAS (Virtual Ammo Box System)?

I could use a hand getting it up and running if anyone knows how to do it.

I found instructions  here : https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/140303-virtual-ammobox-system-vas/

And followed them to the point where I reached the final instruction :

You will also need to drag the stringtable.xml in the root part of your mission where mission.sqm & init.sqf are located.

Unfortunately I cannot complete the final instruction as I do not know what a "stringable.xml, mission.sqm & init sqf" are or where I would find them.

I have checked both the MPMissions folder and the Missions folder but only found a text file advising that this is where exported missions will be saved.

If anyone is already using it and can help me get it up and running that would be great.

Thanks

Have any of you Linux users installed VAS (Virtual Ammo Box System)?

I could use a hand getting it up and running if anyone knows how to do it.

I found instructions  here : https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/140303-virtual-ammobox-system-vas/

And followed them to the point where I reached the final instruction :

You will also need to drag the stringtable.xml in the root part of your mission where mission.sqm & init.sqf are located.

Unfortunately I cannot complete the final instruction as I do not know what a "stringable.xml, mission.sqm & init sqf" are or where I would find them.

I have checked both the MPMissions folder and the Missions folder but only found a text file advising that this is where exported missions will be saved.

If anyone is already using it and can help me get it up and running that would be great.

Thanks

that file is usually located in the mission folder of the mission you are using it on.

• Like 1

I made the switch to linux. Can't wait for the port to get updated. I think I will post a month Linux server along my current set of them.

Sadly, it probably won't be out by christmas  :( I hope they'll at least give us a progress report.

Hello all ! Im a newbie - and actually this is my FIRST post :)

I am an owner of an ArmA 3 Mac port... and i must say, for a version 1.42 its doing pretty well ! I also got the 2 DLCs for helo and marksman..

However, i noticed two main things. please correct me if i am wrong.

1) The subscribed steam workshop content DOESN't WORK. and

2) many recent mods, add ons, missions, do not work well with Mac port 1.42...  since it appears that 1.54 got a lot of improvements to date on its previous builds.

When will 1.54 be released to Mac / Linux ! please.

And oh. older mods and add ons work nicely via Steam Launcher .. (and not ArmA3 launcher) but its good enough for me. You just have to pay attention what mods you're going to launch

Has anyone managed getting a flight stick working with the Linux port? On the port page it says that you need to bind the keys through Steam Big Picture, which works fine for a Steam Controller, but not for a flight stick.

I just downloaded the Mac port for Arma 3 and when started the icon shows up on the dock but nothing else appears. On steam it says it is running but nothing happens.

Where is the Arma3 config file stored on mac?, I've looked all throughout the wrapper like a usual wrapper and can't find a config file, even when i do a search there is no config file. If anyone knows where the config file is that would be much appreciated as i want to edit some settings in there.

I just downloaded the Mac port for Arma 3 and when started the icon shows up on the dock but nothing else appears. On steam it says it is running but nothing happens.

I had this issue as well all i did was force quit the application and restart it. it seemed to work for me the 3rd time.

I did some benchmarks a while ago

CPU: Intel 4690k

GPU: Nvidia  GTX 650

General

SAMPLING:100%

TEXTURE:High

OBJECTS:Ultra

TERRAIN:Ultra

SHADOW:Ultra

PARTICLES:High

CLOUD:Ultra

PIP:Ultra

HDR:Standard

DYNAMIC LIGHTS:Ultra

Visibility

OVERALL: 2000

OBJECT: 1286

SHADOW: 100

Display

Fullscreen

1600x900{16:9}

AA&PP

FSAA:Disabled

ATOC:Disabled

PPAA:Disabled

ANISO. FILTERING:Ultra

AO:HDAO HDAO High

CAUSTICS:Enabled

Tested using Yet Another Arma Benchmark 0.98

Game version 1.42 Linux Average 22 FPS

Game version 1.52 Windows 7 Average 25 FPS

more test info in the google doc link

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-g99EBnWudTvlGlRKNIjDG7rm0C6QFQPFxuWM2gHS98/edit?usp=sharing

Overall I say pretty good however it's starting to fall behind a little in updates

• Like 1

Hi Man-in-Combat,

I have a similar set up to yours.....

OS = Linux Mint 17.2 (Rafaela)

CPU = Intel i7 - 4770 @ 3.40GHz

GPU = Asus/Nvidia GeForce GTX 660

I used the auto detect feature for the video settings and this is how it turned out :

General

Sampling  = 100%

Texture = Standard

Objects = High

Terrain = High

Shadow  = High

Particles  = Standard

Cloud  = High

PIP = High

HDR = Standard

Dynamic Lights  = High

Visibility

Overall  = 2200

Object  = 1800

Shadow = 100

Display

Display Mode  = Fullscreen

Resolution  = 1920x1080 (16:9)

Aspect Ratio = 16:9 Wide

VSYNC = Enabled

Interface size  = small

Brightness  = 1.0

Gamma  = 1.0

Postprocesses

Bloom = 100

Radial Blur = 100

Roation Blur = 100

Depth of Field  = 100

Sharpen Filter  = 100

AO  = HDAO Low

Caustics  = enabled

Antialiasing

FSAA = 4x

ATOC  = All Trees + Grass

PPAA = FXAA Standard

Aniso Filtering = High

FPS = 30

I don't know what a lot of this means (e.g PPAA, ATOC, PPAA, FXAA are all meanginless to me) and therefore do not know whether I am getting good results or poor ones. The fact that it is showing an FPS of 30 seems to indicate that all is well, however,  I would like some assistance from someone who knows about these technologies to see if I can tweak or adjust some settings to get better performance from my GPU. The only thing that I currently do is make use of the "Powermizer" feature found in the "Nvidia X Server settings", I simply switch it from its default setting of "on demand" to "performance".

Hi Man-in-Combat,

I have a similar set up to yours.....

OS = Linux Mint 17.2 (Rafaela)

CPU = Intel i7 - 4770 @ 3.40GHz

GPU = Asus/Nvidia GeForce GTX 660

I used the auto detect feature for the video settings and this is how it turned out :

General

Sampling  = 100%

Texture = Standard

Objects = High

Terrain = High

Shadow  = High

Particles  = Standard

Cloud  = High

PIP = High

HDR = Standard

Dynamic Lights  = High

Visibility

Overall  = 2200

Object  = 1800

Shadow = 100

Display

Display Mode  = Fullscreen

Resolution  = 1920x1080 (16:9)

Aspect Ratio = 16:9 Wide

VSYNC = Enabled

Interface size  = small

Brightness  = 1.0

Gamma  = 1.0

Postprocesses

Bloom = 100

Radial Blur = 100

Roation Blur = 100

Depth of Field  = 100

Sharpen Filter  = 100

AO  = HDAO Low

Caustics  = enabled

Antialiasing

FSAA = 4x

ATOC  = All Trees + Grass

PPAA = FXAA Standard

Aniso Filtering = High

FPS = 30

I don't know what a lot of this means (e.g PPAA, ATOC, PPAA, FXAA are all meanginless to me) and therefore do not know whether I am getting good results or poor ones. The fact that it is showing an FPS of 30 seems to indicate that all is well, however,  I would like some assistance from someone who knows about these technologies to see if I can tweak or adjust some settings to get better performance from my GPU. The only thing that I currently do is make use of the "Powermizer" feature found in the "Nvidia X Server settings", I simply switch it from its default setting of "on demand" to "performance".

Well you actually can force something to your GPU instead of CPU, but i dont know how it works on Linux. On Nvidia Control Panel you can create profile for Arma, and set there Anizotopy filter to your needs, and in game you can turn this feature off - now it will be rendered through GPU. Antialasing is something you should turn off, Disable Vsyns, AtoC, caustics, HDR to low, Disable PiP (or lower if you use mirrors in cars), clouds to standard, SHADOWS TO ULTRA (Now on GPU), terrain to standard (disabling ugly parallax, but floating objects in the distance, use at your own like, but parallax is just making game look worse, when you prone, and eat lot of CPU), and if you wanna get nice looking game, turn texture to very high. I also suggest you if you will use any AI mod (even ACE 3 which increase distances of AI eye visibility) to increase ;

Visibility

Overall  = 3100

Object  = 2500

My documents > Arma 3 > arma 3.cfg > open via notepad, search and change;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

Now when opening launcher of the game,  go to parameters, turn on all cores of your CPU (just to be nice, game will mainly use 2), mark all exthreads, max mem to 6913, max vram 1793 and done. If still felling you want few FPS more, open task manager and set high priority to Arma 3.

• Like 1

Hi Vasiliy.B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out.

Trying some of the suggestions that you made has produced some interesting results, for example , disabling VSYNC increased the FPS from 30 to 56.

I was not able to switch the texture to "very high" as I do not have that option, only "standard" or "low" for some reason.

I have disabled FSAA & ATOC but have PPAA set to "Ultra" as I found that this feature seems to help with making things look a little smoother , at least to my eyes anyway.

Aniso Filtering has been increased from "High" to "Ultra" however I cannot see any difference.

At this point in time I am not able to play online with this version 1.42 of the game that I have so am not really concerned about visibilty so much and have set that to 2200 for "Overall" and 1800 for "Objects"

Now when opening launcher of the game,  go to parameters, turn on all cores of your CPU (just to be nice, game will mainly use 2), mark all exthreads, max mem to 6913, max vram 1793 and done.

This may be something that is specific to Linux but I do not see a tab or anything that says "parameters" when launching the game. What I do is use a tool called "indicator_cpufreq" to adjust the performance level of my CPU from "powersave" to "performance" and that's about it - no messing about with memory, vram or anything like that.

Again, thanks for taking the time to offer some help!

Hi Vasiliy.B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out.

Trying some of the suggestions that you made has produced some interesting results, for example , disabling VSYNC increased the FPS from 30 to 56.

I was not able to switch the texture to "very high" as I do not have that option, only "standard" or "low" for some reason.

I have disabled FSAA & ATOC but have PPAA set to "Ultra" as I found that this feature seems to help with making things look a little smoother , at least to my eyes anyway.

Aniso Filtering has been increased from "High" to "Ultra" however I cannot see any difference.

At this point in time I am not able to play online with this version 1.42 of the game that I have so am not really concerned about visibilty so much and have set that to 2200 for "Overall" and 1800 for "Objects"

This may be something that is specific to Linux but I do not see a tab or anything that says "parameters" when launching the game. What I do is use a tool called "indicator_cpufreq" to adjust the performance level of my CPU from "powersave" to "performance" and that's about it - no messing about with memory, vram or anything like that.

Again, thanks for taking the time to offer some help!

ach, sorry, its 1.42 right? I dont remember the game was launching via launcher, or dirrectly (via game exe). There should be launcher when you launch game through the steam app, or in game folder. About PAA - lower setting makes worse FPS, same with shadows. Ultra is best you could sset. I wonder why you havent very high texture option, but its still beta, maybe it will be fixed. As of anisotopy - ultra/very high - you will notice on this surface while looking at big angle. I have it disabled, as it was making white dots on some vegetation (dont know why) on my end. I didnt know that disabling Vsync will help that much :) Only annoying thing, without Vsync, my GPU is whistling when i'm in editor or in main menu. But i have disabled default world so fps are around 270 then....

• Like 1

Yes Vasily, version 1.42, hopefully being upgraded to 1.54 when BIS stop stuffing their faces and bellies with Christmas cheer and get back to work :)

I looked into what VYSNC is and found that it helps in either eliminating or reducing tearing - some people seem to have all kinds of weird and wonderful ideas about what it does but if you can disable it without tearing becoming an issue then it is reccomended that you do so.

I had to make use of the auto detect feature again as disabling anti aliasing etc actually made the game look horrible - sharp edges everywhere, things like telephone/power lines looked bad. The only features that I have disabled now are the VSYNC option and I have lowered the setting for clouds (who cares what they look like).

I am now recieving 40 FPS (down from 56) which is fine for me  - it is not like it is a fast paced, twitchy style shooter. I like the game to look as good as possible - even if it means losing some FPS in order to do that.

Great to hear that VP, BIS and BattlEye are working on getting BattlEye middleware ported to other platforms. A triple-win situation if you ask me!

No word yet on the porting of the launcher. To me it would seem that porting the launcher could be a good effort to learn how Linux/OSX applications work. BIS could learn how to implement SDL in future applications, which in turn could make porting to any other platform less complicated.

BTW Vsync is synchronise bottom and upper part of screen to the same FPS (forcing it), so you cant see spreading of screen parts, which resoult low FPS, beacuse if you have setted 60Hz refreshing rate on monitor (and in settings), game is trying to force 60 frames per second on bottom, and upper part.  It require lot of RAM in most cases, but God knows what it require in Arma 3.

Our partners at Virtual Programming have been working hard on updating the client port betas to 1.54. We're testing these updates in-house right now. There are a few issues that need to be solved before we can release them to you as well. Meanwhile we're discussing with VP and BattlEye whether it might be possible to support the anti-cheat service on the port platforms in the future. We'll keep you updated!

http://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00137

• Like 2

Our partners at Virtual Programming have been working hard on updating the client port betas to 1.54. We're testing these updates in-house right now. There are a few issues that need to be solved before we can release them to you as well. Meanwhile we're discussing with VP and BattlEye whether it might be possible to support the anti-cheat service on the port platforms in the future. We'll keep you updated!

YES MOTHERFUCKER! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

I was looking forward to this until I saw all of the complaints relating to the new fatigue system......Bohemia, could you update the experimental ports to version 1.52  and leave those clowns who chose to use a bloated toy (aka Windows) with version 1.54 and that new fatigue system of yours (a suitable punishment for being so foolish) :)

Thanks!

I was looking forward to this until I saw all of the complaints relating to the new fatigue system......Bohemia, could you update the experimental ports to version 1.52  and leave those clowns who chose to use a bloated toy (aka Windows) with version 1.54 and that new fatigue system of yours (a suitable punishment for being so foolish) :)

Thanks!

I'd still like to try the fatigue system, and even if it sucks, being able to finally play on more than one server totally makes up for it  :D

The game runs fine on my iMac 27-inch late 2013, I get a constant 60 fps, I hope they can update the game so we can play multiplayer because I really want to play with a friend but parallels don't run very well.

Allot of people don't realise this when using Linux and gaming, but vsync for the most part is detrimental under Linux unless the game has a special implementation like Talos which allows fps between 30-60 without any real OVERHEAD. OpenGL in general hasn't been too nice with either AMD/Nvidia drivers when it comes to vsync options, you will get HUGE hits in performance attempting to use it. 

Maybe later this year we will see freesync/gsync and general improvements in the drivers for vsync if we're lucky. For the most part it's the drivers holding Linux back, AMD still fight with their customers on the performance issues but perhaps there is hope with AMDGPU someday.

Just so I am clear on this, would I be correct in thinking that unless BattlEye anti cheat is incorporated into the experimental ports it is not going to matter that those ports have been updated to version 1.54 , both Linux and Mac users will still not be able to make use of the Multiplayer aspect of the game as most, if not all servers require that you have the BattlEye anti cheat system in order to play on them?