again, move to the Debian 8.x 64bit release. It is the base upon which SteamOS sits. If you must have kernel 4.2.x, use something like xubuntu for minimal performance degradation. Also, if you are using the latest kernel released with 15.10, you should have access to the latest AMDGPU driver stack for 4.2.x.

According to this, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference if you are using Ubuntu instead of SteamOS/ Debian. What would be the advantage of Debian?

Why not install SteamOS directly? I heard that Valve has made some patches for it (for example, the leds on the XBox360 Controller do work now, which is great). There might be a way to apply these patches into Debian though.

According to this, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference if you are using Ubuntu instead of SteamOS/ Debian. What would be the advantage of Debian?

Why not install SteamOS directly? I heard that Valve has made some patches for it (for example, the leds on the XBox360 Controller do work now, which is great). There might be a way to apply these patches into Debian though.

When SteamOS officially releases yes. As far as SteamOS (Built on Debian 8.x 64bit) vs Ubuntu 15.10 goes, Debian is built on Stable code. Ubuntu is not. To be clear, Debian Stable is just that. Stable. It take Debian a couple years or so to make the next big version. It takes Ubuntu using the Testing or Experimental versions of Debian among other package sources 6 months to make a LTS version and another 6 months to make a non-LTS version. There is a major release every year. Ever notice how on Ubuntu you tend to get a lot of system error reports? It is not running on Debian Stable like it used to.

• Like 1

Si this would be good?

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.2.0/amd64/bt-cd/

Sorry for so much questions.... Your words feels unknown for me, as i dont know the pages, names for it.

My PC is:

i5 4690 4 x 3.5Ghz

Radeon R9 270oc 2 GB

8 GB ram

I think you will want the Live discs like these:

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/bt-hybrid/

Hi all,

I am wondering if someone would know if (and possibly when) the BattlEye Anti Cheat System is going to be added to the expiremenatl ports?

The reason that I ask is that when taking a look at Multiplayer for the first time I noticed that there were a few servers that are running the same version of the game. The problem is that each time I joined a server that is running the same version of the game I was kicked off within a minute becuse BattEye client couold not be found, it seems that without Battleye present I am not going to be able to play multiplayer at all, regardless of the server version.

Thanks for any assistance and clarification.

Well, it was announced that ArmA for Linux will be updated to the Nexus update (1.54), we can only hope it will be included in that update, as I didn't read anything about it being ported.

@Linuxmaster9

Why should one have to install Debian Stable to 'experience the new standard for Linux gaming'?

Yeah, SteamOS might be based on it, but as long as you are on a derivative of Debian (stable or not) you should still have a very similar user experience.

I'm running Mint (which is afaik based on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian unstable or testing) and I don't experience any 'unstableness'

But ok, you're the linux master, I'm just some linux-using guy :P

And in the end, it's up to everyone themselves anyway.

Well, it was announced that ArmA for Linux will be updated to the Nexus update (1.54), we can only hope it will be included in that update, as I didn't read anything about it being ported.

@Linuxmaster9

Why should one have to install Debian Stable to 'experience the new standard for Linux gaming'?

Yeah, SteamOS might be based on it, but as long as you are on a derivative of Debian (stable or not) you should still have a very similar user experience.

I'm running Mint (which is afaik based on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian unstable or testing) and I don't experience any 'unstableness'

But ok, you're the linux master, I'm just some linux-using guy :P

And in the end, it's up to everyone themselves anyway.

it was for those who want something that is as close to SteamOS as possible before SteamOS officially releases aka leaves Beta/RC stage. I myself run Xubuntu or Ubuntu Gnome depending on the machine. Im not knocking those distros. It is just that SteamOS is having a lot of custom stuff done to it to improve performance. Ubuntu keeps moving further and further from Debian Stable and Debian in general every release. there is even talk of them going completely separate from Debian. When Linux gaming and Linux in general needs a unified front, going separate from a mainline platform is counter-intuitive.

Arma 3 for Linux is being written in general geared towards SteamOS as that is the most likely gateway platform for new players interested in Arma 3.

By all means, keep your Ubuntu or Fedora or Arch or Gentoo or Slack distros that you have set up. But for those who are 'new' to Linux gaming, let them use something more uniform and stable to hopefully prevent them from having so much trouble.

• Like 2

Guys please be careful recommending Linux Distros to new comers, be aware OPEN SOURCE drivers don't work on ARMA3, and also that many closed sourced drivers won't function well under Kernel 4.2/4.3/4.4.  Please stick with Kernel 3.19 or there abouts, and use the closed source drivers atm for this game (and probably in the future).

I recommend Linux Mint MATE, Ubuntu MATE, maybe SteamOS (don't install the kernel 4.2 update).  I would steer away from ARCH based Linux, its not beginner friendly IMO (Manjaro is ok I guess). Main point I would say is stay away from Plasma/KDE/Unity8/Gnome3 all those desktops as they are not suited for gamers, LOTS of bling but very few performance related considerations.

I run ARMA3 at 50-60fps 4K with high to ultra settings (no blur/FSAA/DOF) with FGLRX and Ubuntu MATE 15.04 and latest FGLRX (kernel 3.19). On a 390X card which often performs worse then earlier models due to driver issues!

Guys please be careful recommending Linux Distros to new comers, be aware OPEN SOURCE drivers don't work on ARMA3, and also that many closed sourced drivers won't function well under Kernel 4.2/4.3/4.4.  Please stick with Kernel 3.19 or there abouts, and use the closed source drivers atm for this game (and probably in the future).

I recommend Linux Mint MATE, Ubuntu MATE, maybe SteamOS (don't install the kernel 4.2 update).  I would steer away from ARCH based Linux, its not beginner friendly IMO (Manjaro is ok I guess). Main point I would say is stay away from Plasma/KDE/Unity8/Gnome3 all those desktops as they are not suited for gamers, LOTS of bling but very few performance related considerations.

I run ARMA3 at 50-60fps 4K with high to ultra settings (no blur/FSAA/DOF) with FGLRX and Ubuntu MATE 15.04 and latest FGLRX (kernel 3.19). On a 390X card which often performs worse then earlier models due to driver issues!

Like i said. New user---> SteamOS or Debian Stable

• Like 2

Because I have nothing better to do, I have installed OpenSUSE Tumbleweed on a new partition and tried out ArmA3 on it.

System Information:

OS   - OpenSUSE Tumbleweed 64bit, Kernel: 4.2

DE   - KDE Plasma 5

CPU  - i7 3770k @4.2GHz

GPU  - GTX 660Ti,  Drivers: Nvidia 352.55

RAM  - 16GB 1600MHz

HDD  - 1TB WD Green 5400rpm

Experience:

• Performance is pretty much the same as Mint, running between 40-70fps, average ~55fps

• I get slightly more FPS-drops/lags where the image freezes for a fraction of a second (might just imagine it's more, need to test it a bit longer)

• The time acceleration keys do also not work. (might just be my German keyboard layout)

• Keyboard layouts with dead keys make the game not notice input once after you pressed a dead key (have to test this on Mint again)

• Problems with freelook, fixed by unbinding alt as a window modifier key. (probs also on Mint, had that disabled before testing arma though)

• Game goes into Window mode after alt-tabbing (need to check this on Mint again)

• Audio still cuts off a bit (especially when firing full-auto ; had that on Mint too)

Because I have nothing better to do, I have installed OpenSUSE Tumbleweed on a new partition and tried out ArmA3 on it.

System Information:

OS   - OpenSUSE Tumbleweed 64bit, Kernel: 4.2

DE   - KDE Plasma 5

CPU  - i7 3770k @4.2GHz

GPU  - GTX 660Ti,  Drivers: Nvidia 352.55

RAM  - 16GB 1600MHz

HDD  - 1TB WD Green 5400rpm

Experience:

• Performance is pretty much the same as Mint, running between 40-70fps, average ~55fps

• I get slightly more FPS-drops/lags where the image freezes for a fraction of a second (might just imagine it's more, need to test it a bit longer)

• The time acceleration keys do also not work. (might just be my German keyboard layout)

• Keyboard layouts with dead keys make the game not notice input once after you pressed a dead key (have to test this on Mint again)

• Problems with freelook, fixed by unbinding alt as a window modifier key. (probs also on Mint, had that disabled before testing arma though)

• Game goes into Window mode after alt-tabbing (need to check this on Mint again)

• Audio still cuts off a bit (especially when firing full-auto ; had that on Mint too)

What Filesystem did you use? EXT4, XFS, or BTRFS?

Hi all,

For those looking to play multiplayer I have found a server that does not require the Battleye Anti Cheat System to play on.

Server details as follows :

[MG] Militia Gaming Linux 1.42

The server is based in the US and runs coop missions to locate and destroy enemy targets.

Hope this helps for people thinking that we will not be able to play the multiplayer aspect of the game until it is updated.

• Like 1

If I recall correctly Bohemia also introduced a 1.42 branch for the Windows version client specifically for MP compatibility with the current iteration of the Mac/Linux ports...?

• Like 1

What Filesystem did you use? EXT4, XFS, or BTRFS?

On Linux Mint I use EXT4.

on openSUSE / is BTRFS and /home is XFS. (I'm not so informed about the Filesystems, openSuse picked those automatically so I thought I'd roll with it)

• Like 1

On Linux Mint I use EXT4.

on openSUSE / is BTRFS and /home is XFS. (I'm not so informed about the Filesystems, openSuse picked those automatically so I thought I'd roll with it)

BTRFS is the FS of the future. EXT4 is starting to show its age. But is still a good FS.

Hi all,

I am looking for some assistance with hiring a server that runs version 1.42 of the game and does not have the BattlEye Anti Cheat system in place.

I contacted GameServers.com as I saw that they have at least 4 servers currently running version 1.42 of ARMA 3 and thought that it would be simple enough to contact them and hire a server for us Linux & Mac users to play on, however, the response I received from GameServers.com was as follows :

Unfortunately we do not offer version 1.42 at this time. The lowest version that we can offer is 1.44.

The response I received has left me a little confused (i.e I am seeing their servers running version 1.42 but they deny that this is possible????)

In any case - would anyone here know of a decent server provider that has an outlet located in Australia that would be able to assist me with getting version 1.42 up and running?

Also, would anyone know why people would be running version 1.42 of ARMA 3 on a server that also requires the BattlEye Anti Cheat system when the Linux & Mac ports dont have it, and therefore cannot access those servers?

Thanks for any clarifictaion and/or assistance that can be provided.

Hi all,

I am looking for some assistance with hiring a server that runs version 1.42 of the game and does not have the BattlEye Anti Cheat system in place.

I contacted GameServers.com as I saw that they have at least 4 servers currently running version 1.42 of ARMA 3 and thought that it would be simple enough to contact them and hire a server for us Linux & Mac users to play on, however, the response I received from GameServers.com was as follows :

The response I received has left me a little confused (i.e I am seeing their servers running version 1.42 but they deny that this is possible????)

In any case - would anyone here know of a decent server provider that has an outlet located in Australia that would be able to assist me with getting version 1.42 up and running?

Also, would anyone know why people would be running version 1.42 of ARMA 3 on a server that also requires the BattlEye Anti Cheat system when the Linux & Mac ports dont have it, and therefore cannot access those servers?

Thanks for any clarifictaion and/or assistance that can be provided.

people don't update. They also don't fix what aint broken for them. GameServers.com doesn't keep copies of all the versions of Arma 3. It only keeps versions back to a certain point. Like 3 versions back.

Thanks for your response, it leaves me wondering what the point of porting ARMA 3 to Linux and Mac is (other than a grab for cash) when we do not get BattlEye Anti Cheat with the game and therefore have no (save but one) servers to play the game on, and by the looks of it - cannot go and hire one yourself to play on either.

There may well be a point to all this and things may change for the better, but right now I don't see it and without an update from Bohemia sometime soon, this game is going to end up in the bin (there is no way I am changing to a Windows OS in order to play a game).

Thanks for your response, it leaves me wondering what the point of porting ARMA 3 to Linux and Mac is (other than a grab for cash) when we do not get BattlEye Anti Cheat with the game and therefore have no (save but one) servers to play the game on, and by the looks of it - cannot go and hire one yourself to play on either.

There may well be a point to all this and things may change for the better, but right now I don't see it and without an update from Bohemia sometime soon, this game is going to end up in the bin (there is no way I am changing to a Windows OS in order to play a game).

It is up to the game hosters to get the Linux/Mac copy of the game. The Linux/Mac version will be brought up to date with the 1.54 release making it work on 1.54 servers. I am unsure if they are adding Battleye or not.

Anyone know what the 10,2 MB update is that was just released for the linux port?

I don't expect Nexus to be released for Linux any time soonâ„¢. I guess porting all the new stuff will take some time, so maybe we will have it end of Q1/2016 or beginning of Q2.

Leaving a game without a functional multiplayer component for several months is not ideal, I am expecting the job to be done sometime before Christmas and will be disappointed if it is not.

Leaving a game without a functional multiplayer component for several months is not ideal, I am expecting the job to be done sometime before Christmas and will be disappointed if it is not.

true, true. Without multiplayer, nobody will play it. I also expect it to come before christmas. If Otherwise, I will be very disappointed.

• Like 2

I have it installed but havent touched the Linux client after testing it because of the lack of MP support. I can not play Wasteland or KoTH.