Intel HD Graphics 4000 1GB

I know its the beare minimum but that means i should be able to play it on low right?

Well there have been a few people with Os X issues, but trying to get it running on a Intel HD Graphics 4000 1GB card is asking for trouble, does that even support the required OpenGL version this port needs? My guess is, no. 

You really need a AMD/Nvidia adapter to have a chance at running this game I think, at least with the current port. 

First of all, thanks BI and VP for supporting Linux  :D

I have been playing the game for 90 hours, and have finished the campaign, all while having a steady 50 FPS on near maximum settings :o

I only have one problem with the port at the moment, which is finding the missions folder with the description.ext in it. On Windows, it is apparently located in ./Documents/Arma 3/missions/[missionname]

On Linux, I can't seem to find any similar folder, if anyone found it, telling me the path would be appreciated  :D

Thanks for any help!

Look in the folders here   /home/<user>/.local/share/bohemiainteractive/arma3

.local is hidden (turn on show hidden folders)

Just finished the campaign! only issues are it sets low textures sometimes and the drop down list doesnt show high anymore...

sometimes it sets it to standard. The game looks like its running standard/high though. I also cant raise the sampling over 100%, but dropping the sampling enables the higher texture settings. I think its not detecting the Vram correctly on my 980ti.

lines from eon.txt:

Available texture memory (from NVidia extension): 6291456 kB
NVidia card: restricting reporting of available memory to 768 MB

Arma3Retail_DX11...rpt:

DX11 - Initializing DX11 engine.
18:25:28 DX11 - Using DXGI adapter 0 (detected in config).
18:25:28 DX11 - Using DXGI adapter 0.
18:25:28     - adapter description : X551UN 55"
18:25:28     - adapter vendor ID : 1
18:25:28     - adapter device ID : 1
18:25:28     - adapter subsys ID : 1
18:25:28     - adapter revision  : 1
18:25:28     - dedicated video memory : 805306368
18:25:28     - dedicated system memory : 0
18:25:28     - shared system memory : 0

About running with intel graphics, one of the intel developers posted a note on mesa bugzilla that arma 3 runs with linux intel driver. He didn't mention the hardware used or anything about performance, and you might require installing the current developement version yourself.

Phoronix is asking help with setting an automatic benchmarking profile for Arma 3 linux client. If someone knows a good benchmark mission and how to run it from commandline, you can share your knowledge in the comments to see some professionally run benchmarks of Arma 3.

What I would like to see BIS to in the future is push version 1.50 to Linux, atm being limited to 1.42 is annoying as you don't find many servers online to test with. Given the performance of the Linux port at present, I think it would be worth updating it to 1.50 :)

It there any news from the 1.50 version on linux? The campaign is awesome on my Ubuntu 15.04, my pc has better FPS than it was on Windows :D

• Like 2

Great experience so far under Debian distribution. I have not experienced a single crash when playing the campaign and the performance was also on-par to Windows using the proprietary NVIDIA drivers. I am looking forward to playing Multiplayer under Linux. Great job VP and BI!

• Like 1

love to see this updated semi-regularly, just to major releases. Maybe I can move to linux completely (except for msg V being quite a ton of fun for the time being)

Just finished the campaign! only issues are it sets low textures sometimes 

I think it may be a NVIDIA issue, as on my 390x I get ULTRA option without issue. Could be the 8GB VRAM, but more likely NVIDIA issue as I had similar issue with 980GTX and I'm surprised your 6GB VRAM isn't enough for it.

So far I have to say, the port works awesome!

My framerate feels about the same as on Windows (which I have now finally gotten rid of :D )

And in general it is just great to have this running on Linux!

I really hope BI decides to put more time into it and update Linux (also ArmA4-Linux at launch please!) :)

One question that remains for me though is why we don't have RotorLib Advanced Flight Model on Linux...

A quick look on their website and I read:

Multi-Platform: 32/64 Bit Windows and Linux.

Binaries available for all common Visual Studio version and Linux distros.

So Mac can't have it, but Linux could... or are these ports the same?

The only problems I am experiencing at the time are:

1. audio seems a bit cut off (but this may be something pulse audio is doing, as I have to use the env PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=30 hack for many of my applications to work correctly)
  2. loading some mods reports "bad version 68 in p3d ..." and closes the game (guess it could be because mods are for windows verison which is more up to date)
  3. loading workshop scenarios always instantly crashes the game (have not tried non-workshop scenarios yet, will see if it happens too)
  4. Time Acceleration and Deceleration over keypresses does not work (the script setTimeMultiplier works!)

My System:

OS   -  Linux Mint 17.2 64bit

CPU  -  i7 3770k @ 4.2GHz

GPU  -  Nvidia GTX 660ti  Driver: 355.11
RAM  -  8GB 1600MHz

HDD  -  1TB WD Green 5400rpm (yes yes, I know...)

• Like 1

2. loading some mods reports "bad version 68 in p3d ..." and closes the game (guess it could be because mods are for windows verison which is more up to date)

3. loading workshop scenarios always instantly crashes the game (have not tried non-workshop scenarios yet, will see if it happens too)

2.) yes, these mods do not support v1.42 anymore. The ported version of Arma is just too old.

3.) this is known, a bug report is already filed: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=25425

• Like 1

Those scenarios/missions likely require a higher version of the game also, could be reason for crash. I think BIS should just go ahead and give the green light on updating the Linux/Mac ports to V1.50 and see if some of these crashes just go away. 

I really hope BIS can give some communication on their thoughts about how Linux/Mac are going, do they feel its successful and worth pursuing? that sort of thing.

• Like 1

Those scenarios/missions likely require a higher version of the game also, could be reason for crash. I think BIS should just go ahead and give the green light on updating the Linux/Mac ports to V1.50 and see if some of these crashes just go away. 

I really hope BIS can give some communication on their thoughts about how Linux/Mac are going, do they feel its successful and worth pursuing? that sort of thing.

I don't think this is something that can be done overnight.

The best scenario in this case would be BIS introducing a development or feature freeze on the Windows branch and waiting until the Linux/Mac port catches up with the Windows version.

• Like 1

What is this update of 11.8 Mb doing (at least in Linux)? Steam downloaded it for me but I have not been able to find any changelogs...

What is this update of 11.8 Mb doing (at least in Linux)? Steam downloaded it for me but I have not been able to find any changelogs...

I executed find in the Moment while Steam finished (so it could be that there is one file missing):

find
./launcher
./launcher/cs-cz
./launcher/cs-cz/arma3launcher.resources.dll
./launcher/cs-cz/SharedResources.resources.dll
./launcher/de-de
./launcher/de-de/arma3launcher.resources.dll
./launcher/de-de/SharedResources.resources.dll
./launcher/en-us
./launcher/en-us/arma3launcher.resources.dll
./launcher/en-us/SharedResources.resources.dll
./launcher/es-es
./launcher/es-es/arma3launcher.resources.dll
./launcher/es-es/SharedResources.resources.dll
./launcher/fr-fr
./launcher/fr-fr/arma3launcher.resources.dll
./launcher/fr-fr/SharedResources.resources.dll
./launcher/it-it
./launcher/it-it/arma3launcher.resources.dll
./launcher/it-it/SharedResources.resources.dll
./launcher/pl-pl
./launcher/pl-pl/arma3launcher.resources.dll
./launcher/pl-pl/SharedResources.resources.dll
./launcher/pt-br
./launcher/pt-br/arma3launcher.resources.dll
./launcher/pt-br/SharedResources.resources.dll
./launcher/ru-ru
./launcher/ru-ru/arma3launcher.resources.dll
./launcher/ru-ru/SharedResources.resources.dll
./addons
./addons/languagemissions_f_beta.pbo.a3.bisign
./addons/languagemissions_f_epa.pbo.a3.bisign
./addons/languagemissions_f_epc.pbo.a3.bisign
./addons/language_f_beta.pbo
./addons/languagemissions_f_bootcamp.pbo
./addons/languagemissions_f_beta.pbo
./addons/languagemissions_f_bootcamp.pbo.a3.bisign
./addons/languagemissions_f_epa.pbo
./addons/languagemissions_f_epc.pbo
./addons/languagemissions_f_gamma.pbo
./addons/languagemissions_f_gamma.pbo.a3.bisign
./addons/language_f_bootcamp.pbo.a3.bisign
./addons/languagemissions_f_epb.pbo
./addons/languagemissions_f_epb.pbo.a3.bisign
./addons/language_f_beta.pbo.a3.bisign
./addons/language_f_bootcamp.pbo
./addons/language_f_epb.pbo
./addons/language_f_epb.pbo.a3.bisign
./dta
./dta/languagecore_f.pbo
./dta/languagecore_f.pbo.a3.bisign
./mark
./mark/addons
./mark/addons/languagemissions_f_mark.ebo.a3.bisign
./mark/addons/language_f_mp_mark.ebo.a3.bisign
./mark/addons/language_f_mp_mark.ebo
./mark/addons/languagemissions_f_mark.ebo
./arma3_manual.pdf

Edit: compared with an backup using meld, it tells the same.

Edited by L3G0

Anyone with luck running it on Apple OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) ?

I would love to be able to play A3 without rebooting to Windows, alas, so far I got mostly crashes. AMD R9 280X.

Some update on OS X (10.11 El Capitan):

Multiscreen support is broken. Filing a ticket. Arms things the 2nd screen is the main screen for all purposes (max resolution, problems with mouse input) except actual display of the game.

Multiscreen support is broken. Filing a ticket. Arms things the 2nd screen is the main screen for all purposes (max resolution, problems with mouse input) except actual display of the game.

This issue is also in Linux, to work arround switch to the window mode, disable the window borders and set an custom resolution if you want to span it across several monitors.

Linux port is amazing guys.

I mean for real. I can play Arma 3 on Linux and there is barely noticeable performance sacrifice. It's stable and working without problems on GNU\Linux Debian 8 'jessie' x86_64.

I've used dual-boot, but my hdd with Windows died recently and now I use only Linux for work and gaming. I was very amazed when Arma 3 appeared in my Steam Library on Linux.

I do hope you will continue updating Linux port and give it full support in near future.

Thanks a lot for undertaking such a venture!

I'm on the hedge about buying Arma 3 because of this port. Since it is quite a bit of money, I am quite reluctant at this point until I can see that there is more long time commitment. That does not mean I were angry if there weren't, after all it has to make economically sense for the developer. That it is undertaken alone is greatly appreciated.

tl;dr Sitting on the hedge, but ready to jump (and pay) when things are clearer and there is success. Looking forward to play an OPF again!

I really hope that this is going to work I really enjoy this game. Guys we have to keep this alive.

• Like 1

I really hope that this is going to work I really enjoy this game. Guys we have to keep this alive.

Especially if they release this for SteamOS. It can make those naysayers shut up about the lack of AAA games on SteamOS.

• Like 2

Especially if they release this for SteamOS. It can make those naysayers shut up about the lack of AAA games on SteamOS.

I believe it will happen as SteamOS will be Linux in "valve eyes". I cant wait till the ports will be updated, and finished, then i will finally uninstall Windows 7 and install Kubuntu.......Amen.

• Like 1

[...] Guys we have to keep this alive.

definitely!

still waiting for multiplayer support in this great port, please Bohemia :*

Multiplayer support is there, we're just on a different version, for which only very few servers exist.

Also, SteamOS is Linux, not just "in valve's eyes" :b

• Like 1