Very impressive to see that the game runs globally as good as on windows. So to speak, it is clear that performance isn't the main issue for an official port (well for geforce based configurations at least ; seems that amd graphic cards have not-so-good driver support).

I've just finished the game under Mint Linux and it worked perfectly. Amazing game! I hope the game will support custom scenarios because right now if I try to download them from Stream and then open them, the game crash with a very strange log error.

Very impressive to see that the game runs globally as good as on windows. So to speak, it is clear that performance isn't the main issue for an official port (well for geforce based configurations at least ; seems that amd graphic cards have not-so-good driver support).

i dont have an issue with my AMD card under Linux. It is not the userspace drivers that are the issue. It is the developer-space drivers. Client-side drivers (the ones WE install) are fine.

The first time I started the game all was set to standard for me as well. Then I just used the auto-detection in the graphics menu and some settings went to high. (No need for me to set anything higher.) Maybe this will work for you as well?

tried, but unfortunately it didn't.. auto-setting was low for textures....

only way i could make a high setting available was when reducing the resolution to half size (1920x1080) and setting the sampling to 50%...

going back to full res (3840x2160) and 100% sampling the configuration displayed high textures setting but when playing low res textures were used and when i returned to the config menu it showed low or standard (but the displayed quality here is the same)... could run max. texture quality with 4k-res on windows, so doesn't seem to be a general arma3 problem...

Thats a great port, THX.

Runs very good on I5 2500k@ 4,6 GHZ, 8GB RAM, GTX 760 - Kubuntu 14.04. I'm in second part of the campaign. No crashes in campaign and original SP-Missions so far, some sound/heavy echo problems after diving, thats all.

Mission download from steam workshop is not working, CTD, is that expected ? I have to copy the mission into missions folder.

Thats a great port, THX.

Runs very good on I5 2500k@ 4,6 GHZ, 8GB RAM, GTX 760 - Kubuntu 14.04. I'm in second part of the campaign. No crashes in campaign and original SP-Missions so far, some sound/heavy echo problems after diving, thats all.

Mission download from steam workshop is not working, CTD, is that expected ? I have to copy the mission into missions folder.

It's a bug. I've got a feedback ticket in and VP are aware. Sure they'll fix it soon enough. 

i'm wondering the possibility to build a distribution with custom kernel specifically for arma 3.......

Wow! Pinch me, I think I'm dreaming. I never thought in a million years BIS would port Arma 3 to linux. It's working great for me, I'm getting a steady 60 fps (slight dips to 56 occasionally)... call me very IMPRESSED!

• Like 1

I have to copy the mission into missions folder.

How do you do that exactly? I tried to copy the missions file (doomsday_night) from my windows arma3/steam into my linux steam folder but it did not work. Steam deletes the file every time. path: Steam/userdata/3323440/ugc

How do you do that exactly? I tried to copy the missions file (doomsday_night) from my windows arma3/steam into my linux steam folder but it did not work. Steam deletes the file every time. path: Steam/userdata/3323440/ugc

I copied the pbo from /home/username/.steam/userdata/22086726/ugc/referenced/someweirdnumbers/ to /home/username/.steam/SteamApps/common/Arma 3/Missions/

Wow! Pinch me, I think I'm dreaming. I never thought in a million years BIS would port Arma 3 to linux.

And they didn't, they simply let Virtual Programming do it.

I have my AMD 390x now, I noticed texture settings goes all the way up to utlra now, whereas on my 980 it had issues. I get about 30-40% less FPS then my 980GTX hopefully that changes once better drivers come out.

I have my AMD 390x now, I noticed texture settings goes all the way up to utlra now, whereas on my 980 it had issues. I get about 30-40% less FPS then my 980GTX hopefully that changes once better drivers come out.

It should since the Kernel 4.2 shows that the AMD GPU drivers are being completely overhauled from scratch and essentially built into the Kernel for the most part. You will still have to install a couple packages but most of the code will be in the kernel to begin with.

Seems VSYNC has issues still, caps/sucks the fps away when enabled. I believe that is a AMD/OpenGL issue, disabling it yields good results but screen tearing occurs. Hope I can get freesync working under Linux when I get my new monitor.

It should since the Kernel 4.2 shows that the AMD GPU drivers are being completely overhauled from scratch and essentially built into the Kernel for the most part. You will still have to install a couple packages but most of the code will be in the kernel to begin with.

I thought that amdgpu is just a new kernel interface that both mesa and later catalyst could use. I think there was an article at phoronix about that. Drivers would still mostly live in userspace. Regardind catalyst performance, I also recall that someone reported that --eon-disable-catalyst-workarounds might improve performance with latest catalyst drivers on VP ported titles. Some other people have found with other games that one can activate driver optimizations by renaming the game binary to some other games binary that has optimized profile. I haven't tried those, since catalyst fails to compile on me with 4.2.0 kernel, and I prefer the OSS driver. For Mesa shader issue, there is a bug report on bugs.freedesktop.org, lets see how it turns out.

So, I went outside of the minimum requirements just to see how performance could be gauged on lower-end hardware.

I am currently running Linux Mint 17.2, using the fglrx-updates proprietary driver.

My laptop system specs:

• OCZ 120GB SSD
  • 8GB 1333MHz RAM
  • AMD A8-4500M
  • AMD HD 7600G (512MB Allocated + dynamically using available RAM)

I have to say, when I ran this on Windows, just testing it out, I was getting a minimum of around 10-15FPS. On Linux, I get nearly the EXACT same performance. I am not complaining about it, but I am impressed that the performance is nearly identical to performance on Windows. I will have to give this a shot on my rig at home, which my specs are as follows:

Desktop Specs:

• AMD FX 4130
  • 16GB DDR3
  • 1x 1TB @7200RPM (Windows 10) + 1x 500GB @7200RPM (Ubuntu 15.04)
  • AMD HD 7850 1GB

Really hoping this port gets official!

BIS I love you! BUT please do the normal version!

I am responsible for the two Linux users who have played already 1k hours on Windows, and willfully as much on Linux! Please wa, no, I beg you, do normal version !!!

All I get on the Linux Action Show Reddit is grief about how none of the Linux gamers should buy the game because BI has not officially announced a port to Linux. Therefore, BI can pull the plug at any time and Linux gamers should not support a publisher that is not guaranteed to code for Linux. It would assuage the general Linux Gaming community and Linux news groups fears of a snatch and grab operation by BI of Linux money without an official client. They would be more willing to promote the client IF it was guaranteed to release in full. 

Yep we need v1.52 (think that's the latest) and BattleEye, pretty sure they can make BattleEye work with a wrapper alongside the main executable. 

If BIS confirmed they were going to update the client to latest and work on getting BattleEye sorted, pretty sure allot of people would be more willing to buy it from the Linux community.

• Like 2

Sounds like a bit of a cyclical situation: Bohemia specifically refused to guarantee any progress (look at their FAQ outright admitting that some limitations will never be overcome), therefore people hold off, therefore the Linux usage doesn't look so good vs. the Windows usage which continues to relegate Linux to lower-priority (as Bohemia's already overtly declared it) behind the Expansion...

if they would say "we are going to expand to tanoa when time comes and have battle eye support" people would be more willing to buy.

if tanoa is not coming to linux then i guess no one is willing to buy because they know it will be a dead end

Thank You, works like a charm on AMD 6520G, asus K53TK laptop, Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon, fglrx-updates from repo. Similar fps to Windows version, stable 20-25, no issues after few hours of gameplay.

Can't get the game to run on my macbook. Application starts but no screen.

Macbook specs are:

Mackbook Pro 13" from 2013

i5 2x 2.3 Ghz 3MB L3 Cache,

8 GB RAM

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1GB

OS X 10.10.5

I know its the beare minimum but that means i should be able to play it on low right?

Although the port is not native it works great! I've never played ARMA 3, but it was in my library. VP opened this wonderful game for me by creating this port. The game is really good. I've just purchased all DLCs to support the further efforts of porting it to Linux.

Here is my specs for the reference:

System:    Host: thor Kernel: 3.19.0-28-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE 5 Distro: Ubuntu 15.04 vivid
Machine:   Mobo: Gigabyte model: Z97X-Gaming 5 v: x.x Bios: American Megatrends v: F5 date: 05/30/2014
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-4790K (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 4400 MHz 1: 4384 MHz 2: 4355 MHz 3: 4371 MHz 4: 4064 MHz 5: 4368 MHz 6: 4392 MHz
           7: 4384 MHz 8: 4346 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GM204 [GeForce GTX 980]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 driver: nvidia Resolution: 2560x1080@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 980/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 352.41
Audio:     Card-1 NVIDIA GM204 High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2 Intel 9 Series Family HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-3 Logitech driver: USB Audio
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.19.0-28-generic
Network:   Card: Ralink RT5392 PCIe Wireless Network Adapter driver: rt2800pci
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: c4:a8:1d:f3:47:71
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2360.5GB (66.8% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: KINGSTON_SVP200S size: 240.1GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: OCZ size: 120.0GB ID-3: /dev/sdc model: ST31000528AS size: 1000.2GB
           ID-4: /dev/sdh model: ST31000528AS size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 110G used: 65G (63%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/md1
RAID:      Device-1: /dev/md1 - active raid: 1 components: online: 2/2 - sda1 sdb1
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C gpu: 39C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 305 Uptime: 37 min Memory: 5042.6/15975.0MB Client: Shell (zsh) inxi: 2.2.16