I downloaded Arma 3 last night onto my macbook pro. I was expecting a crappy port like most games ported to mac. To my supprise I got about a 10-15% improvement in performance over my bootcamp partition (windows running native on my mac). I have a windows desktop which I will admit vastly outperforms my mac with either partition, but I am very happy that the port is as high quality as it is because I can get that much better performance when I travel, and just when I want to play on my laptop. I'm also very happy to be able to run my favorite game on my favorite operating system!

otherwise the games runs fine so far.. (besides not supporting rotor-lib, which I really can't understand as physics normally is the easiest things to port / write multi-platform)

RotorLib is work of third-party like BattleEye. If ports will materialize, I think those 3rd-party companies will be asked to make ports for Linux and Mac. I think those 3rd-party companies will ask money for porting work and that's the reason why those features aren't ported yet, even if porting work isn't big deal.

At a quick glance RTDynamics mentions Linux support for their FixedWingLib but doesn't mention it for RotorLib, although that of course isn't the same as "Linux not supported".

At a quick glance RTDynamics mentions Linux support for their FixedWingLib but doesn't mention it for RotorLib, although that of course isn't the same as "Linux not supported".

I think linux support will come when someone is paying for it. In this case it will be Bohemia Interactive.

Wanting to manually get around this Texture resolution selection glitch.

Does anyone know where on the Linux system ARMA3 is storing the CONFIG files? I have looked before but can't find anything anywhere, hope their not embedded or encrypted.

Thank you so much for this port Bohemia!

It really runs great on Ubuntu 15.04 with an Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1231 v3 @ 3.40GHz and a NVidia GTX 970

Next step should be BattleEye support + recent patch version and this would be the most epic Linux port of the year.

Works quite well under Ubuntu 15.04 x64 on my system. Im using the fglrx-updates drivers for my 7970Ghz card.

System:

i7 4770k stock

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3

16GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistix LP 1600 Mhz

Sapphire Dual-X 7970GHz OC

1x Crucial 120GB SSD (Windows drive)

1x ADATA 256GB SSD (Steam Drive)

1x Kingston HyperX 3K 128GB SSD (Linux Drive)

1x 1.5TB 7.2k Drive

1x 2TB 7.2k Drive

27.5" Hanns-G 1920x1200 19:10 screen

CMStorm Trigger Mechanical K/B w/ Blue switches

Logitech G500 Mouse.

One thing that would really benefit the Linux Ports and the Windows client would be the inclusion of the Vulkan API which is due to be released by the end of 2015. It would allow players to get the same performance improvements of DirectX 12 without forcing them to upgrade to Windows 10. It would also improve the performance on the Linux side as well as Linux will natively support Vulkan as of Kernel 4.x .

I created a Feedback Tracker post if you want to vote to show your support for Vulkan.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=25362

• Like 1

I just bought Arma 3 yesterday and decided to download it to my macbook pro 13 inch. Upon opening the training, i was faced with 45-60 fps which is not bad at all for most if not all computers. However! As soon as the first campaign mission started, i was faced with a whopping 4-5 fps. All settings are on the lowest possible, even my resolution.

Anyone know a fix? Bootcamp Arma 2 ran perfectly!

I just bought Arma 3 yesterday and decided to download it to my macbook pro 13 inch. Upon opening the training, i was faced with 45-60 fps which is not bad at all for most if not all computers. However! As soon as the first campaign mission started, i was faced with a whopping 4-5 fps. All settings are on the lowest possible, even my resolution.

Anyone know a fix? Bootcamp Arma 2 ran perfectly!

It could have something to do with how advanced the implementation of WINE is on Mac OSX. I know the Linux side has had extensive development. It could also have to do with the overall specs of your system. You have a Macbook pro 13......what specs?

Based on a quick look at the Apple store specs for a Macbook Pro 13 inch, you are running on integrated graphics and a weak Intel i5/i7 dual core. As well as most likely, not more than 4GB of RAM. Your Macbook pro is NOT intended to be a gaming machine. Hence the weak specs. Most of the people playing it on Linux are using desktops or gaming laptops like the ones from System76.com. Ex: Bonobo Extreme or Serval WS. The macbook pro 13 has either an intel hd 4600 without Retina display, or an intel iris pro 6100 with Retina display. Either way, it is not a gaming chip.

As for Arma 2, Compared to A3, A2 is a walk in the park. A2 had no physX. The graphics were sub par compared to A3. A3 is a beast compared to A2.

It could have something to do with how advanced the implementation of WINE is on Mac OSX. I know the Linux side has had extensive development.

The Arma 3 ports aren't using Wine. They're using eON, which allowed them to do native ports without rewriting parts of the engine.

• Like 1

The Arma 3 ports aren't using Wine. They're using eON, which allowed them to do native ports without rewriting parts of the engine.

Interesting. I was under the impression that the eON wrapper utilized Wine. After all, unless the engine supports OpenGL or Vulkan, it would have to somehow emulate DirectX.

But, my statement still stands, That Macbook is Not meant for gaming.

Interesting. I was under the impression that the eON wrapper utilized Wine. After all, unless the engine supports OpenGL or Vulkan, it would have to somehow emulate DirectX.

What they do is they don't change the engine code itself, but instead of including Windows/DirectX libraries, they include the eON libraries, which have the same API as as Windows/DirectX libraries, but under the hood they're using OpenGL and X11 (or whatever).

It's similar to how libraries like SDL and SFML work, except it mimics DirectX and the Windows API. That's why the game performs as well as it does.

This is a great port, I have played for 26 hours since it got released aparently and have only had some minor issues. 2 crashes to desktop, some wierd mouse bugs and some sound issues but other than that, it has been running flawlessly, perhaps even better than it did on windows when I played it on there.

My specs:

64 bit Antergos (Pretty much arch with a graphical installer)

i5 4760k

GTX 770 - Running closed source drivers

16 GB of RAM

• Like 1

I bought Arma 3 just to test it out on Linux, never played it on Windows.

Awesome game runs perfect, only crap part was it was ported on an older version so multiplayer is useless. Be a better experience to have the multiplayer but still its fun playing around with the editor & campaign modes

This game would be awesome for the SteamOS box coming out. 

Kinda sad you guys may not countinue the Linux port. Just think there are approx of 10,000,000 users on steam.
There are about 1% of Linux users on Steam which is 100,000 users & climbing so there is huge income potential. Not saying all 100,000 linux users will buy Arma 3, but still it shows there is a market for Linux ports.

Once the SteamOS Box comes out there will even more linux users being SteamOS is written in Debian (Linux) & any games not ported to linux will not be available without steaming the game which sucks & pointless.

So I hope you guys countinue the ports.

System Specs:

Ubuntu Mate 15.04 64Bit

Intel Core i5 Quad Core 2500k CPU @ 3.30GHz

8GB Ram Corsair Vengeance

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB GDDR5 (Nvidia Driver: 355.06)

:D Fantastic! Runs very smoothly! I've only played for 2 hours on Linux so far but with no crashes or glitches at all!

Bought this game back in alpha on Windows two years ago and it's running better than ever on Linux now B)

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64-bit

Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Proprietary drivers: version 340.76

8 GB RAM

I finaly have a linux version of Arma 3 running.

First issue was with Radeon 5770. The r600 open source mesa driver only exposes opengl 3.3, while game requires opengl 4.1. OpenGL 4.1 for r600 might come later, I "worked around" by buying a more recent graphics card (R390). With open source radeonsi driver (mesa-11.0.0-rc2) the game atleast runs. I haven't really had time to play the game yet, so I don't have much to say about performance or issues when using open source GL driver at this time. When using graphics menus autodetect settings gives detectedAdapterBenchmark=121 on linux vs. 160 on windows.

I did initial download with steamcmd to steam library on NFS network drive, where local user has group r/w/x permissions. This made the game exit silently on startup. Resolution was to copy it to local steam library after getting and installing a bigger SSD. Propably a permission issue, but it would be nice to give an proper error message instead leaving the user guessing for reason. Looks like ownership of game files is required, but it may be an another issue too.

Would it be possible to add linux and mac to issue trackers (http://feedback.arma3.com) platform or os pull down menu? This would make searching for known issues a lot easier.

Despite these few minor issues I'm very happy with this port, looking forward to actually playing with it.

• Like 3

I finaly have a linux version of Arma 3 running.

First issue was with Radeon 5770. The r600 open source mesa driver only exposes opengl 3.3, while game requires opengl 4.1. OpenGL 4.1 for r600 might come later, I "worked around" by buying a more recent graphics card (R390). With open source radeonsi driver (mesa-11.0.0-rc2) the game atleast runs. I haven't really had time to play the game yet, so I don't have much to say about performance or issues when using open source GL driver at this time. When using graphics menus autodetect settings gives detectedAdapterBenchmark=121 on linux vs. 160 on windows.

I did initial download with steamcmd to steam library on NFS network drive, where local user has group r/w/x permissions. This made the game exit silently on startup. Resolution was to copy it to local steam library after getting and installing a bigger SSD. Propably a permission issue, but it would be nice to give an proper error message instead leaving the user guessing for reason. Looks like ownership of game files is required, but it may be an another issue too.

Would it be possible to add linux and mac to issue trackers (http://feedback.arma3.com) platform or os pull down menu? This would make searching for known issues a lot easier.

Despite these few minor issues I'm very happy with this port, looking forward to actually playing with it.

I would suggest trying the fglrx-updates or the Catalyst binary package from the AMD site. I had great success with those drivers. If you pair it with the Lniux 4.2 kernel, the AMDGPU stack should show marked improvement.

I would suggest trying the fglrx-updates or the Catalyst binary package from the AMD site. I had great success with those drivers. If you pair it with the Lniux 4.2 kernel, the AMDGPU stack should show marked improvement.

I might have to do that, but I am really not a fan of fglrx driver. With mesa-11.0.0-rc2, game runs and performance is OK. VR Training works, but trying any challenges or showcases on real maps crashes with, for example, a shader error:

[thread 0000000f][E][48888]: Program from shader GL_FRAGMENT_SHADER with length 20611 and CRC 0xae61bc1c has not been successfully linked. Program info log: error: Too many fragment shader texture samplers

This could be a driver issue, but after the crash some stale tmp files are left, and trying to launch the game makes it crash instantly again:

[thread 00000004][W][154]: REGISTRY OPERATION: RegOpenKeyExW() returns ERROR_NOT_FOUND (subkey not found) key = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, subkey = Software\Bohemia Interactive\Arma 3\Expansions

[thread 00000004][W][154]: REGISTRY OPERATION: RegOpenKeyExW() returns ERROR_NOT_FOUND (subkey not found) key = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, subkey = Software\Bohemia Interactive\Arma 3\Expansions

Removing /tmp/arma3* makes this go away, and arma 3 runs again, so another minor issue here. Let's see what I can break next, plan was to take a look at the shader issue with debugger, and maybe try with fglrx.

I might have to do that, but I am really not a fan of fglrx driver. With mesa-11.0.0-rc2, game runs and performance is OK. VR Training works, but trying any challenges or showcases on real maps crashes with, for example, a shader error:

[thread 0000000f][E][48888]: Program from shader GL_FRAGMENT_SHADER with length 20611 and CRC 0xae61bc1c has not been successfully linked. Program info log: error: Too many fragment shader texture samplers

This could be a driver issue, but after the crash some stale tmp files are left, and trying to launch the game makes it crash instantly again:

Removing /tmp/arma3* makes this go away, and arma 3 runs again, so another minor issue here. Let's see what I can break next, plan was to take a look at the shader issue with debugger, and maybe try with fglrx.

When you have crashes like that it usually implies that the game is actively looking for the binary drivers. it expects the Binary drivers.

Thank you so very much for this Bohemia. Please, do not give up on the project,time will prove that it is a good move and ultimately, if you choose to go fully platform independent (natively) on Arma 4 I'm sure you will see benefits to all areas of your business.

I first asked about porting to Linux here in these forums many, many years ago*. I've waited so long for this, and I know that a lot of people have requested it over the years, I remember it being discussed many times going right back to the Operation Flashpoint days. I bought Arma and Arma 2 without ever being able to play them because I was a huge fan of Operation Flashpoint. Now for the first time I can buy an Arma game and have it counted as a Linux sale.

* With the account GBee, to which I no longer have access, perhaps some kind admin will change the email address on that account for me? I gave up the domain name several years ago :(

I currently don't have a native *nix system running but I'd just like to say that I very much appreciate these ports. Given the external development, is this potentially a case where we can throw money at our screen/appropriate thing on bistore in order to show how awesome we think it would be if work on this was continued?

I just hope BIS understands that they won't get a marked increase in sales from Linux users until we see v1.50+BattleEye+ probably SteamOS Machine launch.  Oh and expansion support, I won't buy those until they are supported (likely just a version issue, solve v1.50 and you solve that issue).

Thank you BI for bringing my fav game to my fav platform (mac)

I'm very interested in BI's thinking around this port? Lets port it to mac/linux and see the community uptake... Without multiplayer and the other "selling" features (DLC, Mods, etc) do you think you will get a true reflection of the viability of this port on other platforms?

another thank you from me. A huge thank you. I've been looking for a reason to move to Linux and now i can give it a try again as Arma 3 is the game I use 90% of the time. thanks BIS and the external contractors - awesome work!!

another thank you from me. A huge thank you. I've been looking for a reason to move to Linux and now i can give it a try again as Arma 3 is the game I use 90% of the time. thanks BIS and the external contractors - awesome work!!

:rolleyes: I hope you have been paying attention to the limitations of this current implementation so far? and don't go formating your Windows drive just yet :)  Boot off a USB3.0 Linux Live FlashDrive to start with ;)

I haven't played much so there are still things that can go wrong (hopefully not), but tried the Stratis benchmark and fooled around a bit with a showcase mission on both SteamOS and Windows.

Running pretty good so far:

• Like 6