Sign in to follow this  
fallenfoxes

Topology randomly changing

Hi, I've come across an unusual problem, not sure if any of you understand what's going on. I modelled the model in 3Ds Max and imported it into Object Builder but somehow it's changed the topology. It has removed lines where they should be and added them where they shouldn't. I've imported it in as both .3ds and .obj I have also imported a tri only version but to receive the same problem.

topologycomparison02_zps7hjrkp20.png

topologycomparison01_zps95bd3cx4.png

If you used 3DS to tranfer between Max and O2, have you tried the "No squarize" option in the O2 3DS import options dialogue box?

You can also check out this topic. It might illuminate or further confuse you.

My solution for this unwanted optimization was triangulating the polygons around the "problem" area. It worked most of the times. Sometimes though, it would only respect my efforts if i triangulated top-left to bottom-right, or viceversa (top-right to bottom-left). But it worked, even though it was a bit of trial and error.

The missing lines/edges is just a weird visual glitch in the Object Builder viewports when viewing wireframe on shaded.

The physical polygon edge connecting the verts is still there, and you can see it if you switch the viewport to wireframe only mode or use the Direct3D mode.

I've noticed that ObjectBuilder shows different things when rendering via OpenGL, versus Direct3D. But i don't think it's a glitch, weird and confusing yes. I say this because, like i mentioned in the topic i linked to above, it happened to me on a few occasions that the edges removed by OB when importing models, happened to be UV borders. And in the game, texturing on the adjacent faces was destroyed. I had to go back, and triangulate around those edges, in order to convince OB, not to discard them as redundant. Then re-import.

For the sake of completing this:

The issue was solved when I triangulated the mesh and made sure when exporting from Max in the obj export window under geometry to select 'triangles' under faces. That bit was key else the triangles would still break and become ngons without that. 

No, it wasn't a visual glitch, it legitimately created ngons. And when rendering dx, this proved that was unchanged.

So now, everything is triangulated in ObjectBuilder? Not a single quad left?

I might be mistaken, but was the model complete? What i mean was was this a test import that did not have UV maps done properly?

I think i had this happen before when i was checking a weapon for shading issues inside OB, had more than 1 UV Set and was not unwrapped, problem went away when i unwrapped it and removed the second UV Set.