i was just asking on the Addons forum if anyone was making a Kiowa!Nice job-cant wait to fly this beauty! :D

• Like 2

im very glad someone is taking the effort of replicating this helo. This helo is in the sweet spot for mission makers, because is more durable than a little bird without being too powerful nor sturdy like the Apache, has analogic weaponry but electronic sensor arrays so it's great for scouting and directing other units. 

cant wait to see it done!

Totally agree-and even though they are being retired,a lot of Arma3 missions people make are set in the 90's or 2000's.This will fill a gap nicely :)

Also the Army's idea to replace Kiowas with Apaches for scouting?Crazy! The Apache is amazing,but it is far to high cost for scouting roles.They cost thousands of dollars per flight hour and need a massive maintenance ground team with them. They also require a lot of servicing.I believe it works out at 12 hours service time for every 24 hours flight time?

• Like 1

Totally agree-and even though they are being retired,a lot of Arma3 missions people make are set in the 90's or 2000's.This will fill a gap nicely :)

And ADuke could always bring it into the present (for those younger whippersnappers) with a slightly stretched 407 model of the same airframe, like this:

(Yes, someone is feeling Airwolf in the first shot)

Not that I could want anything more than a Kiowa Warrior. I love the challenge of doing a mission with seven rockets and three thousand rounds 7.62mm tracer.

Anticipating this eagerly.

• Like 4

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all of the interest and suggestions. Just to update you a bit, I am writing this post from my tablet because my laptop drive took a crap, but not before I was able to back everything up, including all of the work that I have done on the OH58.

Very soon I will have the funds and time to get a new hdd, resume this project and dedicate all of the time and effort that it deserves.

The holidays (happy holidays everyone) have also kept me busy with family, so things will definitely clear up after the new year.

Until then cheers, stay safe and stay tuned.

-AD

• Like 8

Great project!

I always wondered why there is no Kiowa yet in Arma 3. There are countless versions of Hueys and Apaches, but a OH-58 is new. Hopefully you will change this fact. The pics are really nice.

So keep it up!

The main reason is that Bohemia decided to keep the fantasy future and use the Commanche which was to be the replacement for the kiowa as a front line spotter, light scout helo.  Instead in real life, the project was cancelled, too expensive and Army rejected it. So instead the money was redirected to upgrading the Kiowa and Apache fleets to have a very good system in place that was already working but needed more electronics. Crazy how history works and Arma does the "what if this had happened". style.  The Commanche flew but I'm sure it would have been an intersting part and a very expensive part of the Military.

• Like 2

Great to see a Kiowa implemented to RHS standards! Looking forward to using this, and sorry I have no editing skills to offer!

• Like 1

Can't wait for the Kiowa release ADuke! Keep up the great work! Also, have you thought about making a UH-60 for Arma 3 or porting one of your older ones? I'd love to see one of your 60's or Yurapetrov's grace the skies of Arma 3. 

• Like 1

If you want some first hand experience with the OH-58D(I) and ® models I was an Armament/Avionics tech for my enlistment and would be happy to lend any assistance I can.

• Like 3

A​ co-production with Dezkit and his Bell 206? I really would like to see a Bell 406 X in A3.

Hey aduke

If you need help with configs give me a holler

I can set up your basic one for you to tweak further

Regarding weapons, if there are any you dont have im planning to release frl missilebox from arma 2 plus lots of additions - sykocrazy has suggested including his weapons too for example - so this could save you some time, though our textures on some thing may be less quality than you prefer.

It will be out in a month or so.

Once it's done do you think you might consider licensing us at unsung mod the model to adapt for vietnam era as we need to retire our old ofp models.

Sykocrazy has offered to convert his littlebird into a cayuse for us too.

• Like 2

I'd PM him and once I get it usable I can see what I can do, sans MMS if my brain serves me correctly. There's a lot of texturing (I'm quite frankly an external artist more than anything else) that needs to be knocked out, so if you want to help out or we get communicating I'm sure things can move along.

• Like 1

Cool, that's good news, as a (virtual) helo pilot I would prefer to use a HUD in ArmA3 with any helo.

I will try to find out more info from my sources, whether I find any info or not I will include it as a feature, I just may have to assume the details of a lot of the functionality.

Thanks for the info,

-AD

EDIT: Found more info, I am going to go off this reference image for the HUDs functionality.

I think it might be better w/ the default Arma3 HUD