Hello, 

So, I announced this add-on a few years back and quickly had to postpone it due to some employment related reasons.

The issues that led me to postpone it originally are no longer a factor, I have started the project back up and have been working tirelessly on these models for the past few months.

Here are some pic links...

I apologize for the hasty, low quality pics, I will try to make future preview pics higher resolution.

*Pics have been updated to high resolution renders

I have fashioned the model to be a representation of the systems upgrades that Bell-Textron introduced in 2012. I do not think that a model currently exists of this helo that represents this particular version.

Here is how the model(s) are progressing...

• Geometry is about 95% complete.
  • UV unwrapping is about 80% complete.
  • Texturing is about 10% complete, so far the textures are just an ambient occlusion layer and color layer, with more detail in the instrument panel textures.
  • Integration into ArmA 3 has not started yet but will as soon as all modeling and texturing is completed.

So far I only have plans to create several versions of the Delta variant but would love to do the newer Foxtrot variant as well, we will see what happens.

I am doing all of the work in Blender and Photoshop.

I will post updates regularly as I reach certain milestones.

Thanks for your feedback!

- ADuke

• Like 16

Looks really nice,

I can't wait to see in-game pics.

Keep up the good work mate!

• Like 1

Great project!

I always wondered why there is no Kiowa yet in Arma 3. There are countless versions of Hueys and Apaches, but a OH-58 is new. Hopefully you will change this fact. The pics are really nice.

So keep it up!

• Like 2

Nice work man

• Like 1

Good to see that you are coming back and bringing some lovely helos in A3. 

I liked your BH in A2.

For the camera, I hope you will be able to use the one from the A3 UAV (you can now lock the camera so it does not move everywhere like in Arma 2).

• Like 2

Good to see that you are coming back and bringing some lovely helos in A3. 

I liked your BH in A2.

For the camera, I hope you will be able to use the one from the A3 UAV (you can now lock the camera so it does not move everywhere like in Arma 2).

I did not know that was possible, but now that I do it will be a definite feature, thanks for the suggestion.

Also, thank you everyone for your replies and support, currently I am drawing rivets, panel lines and weathering on the hull texture, I will post a pic once I have something worth showing  :)

• Like 1

I have replaced the pic links in my original post with more high resolution renders, they also include the texture work that I have done over the last few days (mostly rivets and panel lines).

Cheers,

-AD

• Like 2

Been waiting on someone to tackle this. Great job so far. I am definitely going to follow this project. Keep it up  !  Looking awesome !!

• Like 1

Been waiting on someone to tackle this. Great job so far. I am definitely going to follow this project. Keep it up  !  Looking awesome !!

Thanks bud,

I have been thinking and I would like some help with this project I think, more specifically with integration into ArmA 3.

It is not as though I can't handle it, but having some help would cut the overall development time in half. I am putting in upwards of 12 hours a day already with modeling and texturing.

I would need this person to handle...

• Conversion to .p3d
  • Config.cpp
  • Model.cfg
  • PBO creation

I would prefer that whoever I bring onto the project would have successfully created a helicopter addon for A2 or A3 sometime in the past.

If anyone is interested please let me know.

Today my goal is to complete all geometry for weapons and pylons and have textures started for both.

- AD

Im happy to see you back. You made some great helicopters in A2. Looks great so far.

• Like 1

UPDATE

I have been working on weapon systems and pylons, they need quite a bit more work, but here is what I have so far...

M-296

7 round Hydra tube 

I have more geometry tweaking to do on those, which would of course mean another uv-unwrapping and texture bake/edit.

Next I would need to make a 2-rnd Hellfire rack, then I can interchange all of those to get different loadout variants.

If you look at pics of these pylons in real-life you will notice 2 actuator cables attached to 2 ports on the side of the aircraft, at some point I plan on making these.

This will be an exciting challenge because it will require a lot of bending and shaping of cylinders which I only have brief experience in.

Back to work...

Cheers, 

-AD

• Like 3

This is shaping up nicely!

Splines can help you out a lot when making cables. Will save you a lot of time.

Keep it up!

• Like 1

This is shaping up nicely!

Splines can help you out a lot when making cables. Will save you a lot of time.

Keep it up!

Thanks for the suggestion, found some very useful tutorials, should be fun, always nice to learn new things.  ;)

• Like 1

Looks nice, congrats!

Will you also port your Blackhawk pack to ArmA 3?

• Like 1

Looks nice, congrats!

Will you also port your Blackhawk pack to ArmA 3?

I have a fairly long list of helos and vehicles (and models in varying degrees of completion)  that I would like to bring into ArmA 3, the MH-60M is on that list.

I do know though that if I did an MH-60M addon for A3, it wouldn't be a straight across port of those old models, they're a little low quality for A3.

Despite the long development times, I am a fan of creating 100% unique models and textures, this will be my MO with anything that I make from now on.

This all depends on a myriad of things, but for now I am very motivated and determined to make everything that is in my power to make, so stay tuned for sure.

Thanks for your interest,

- AD

Great news!  I'm curious are you going to port your Black Hawk?  What's the biggest difference between a Kiowa from today and a Kiowa from another era...like maybe the 90s?

• Like 1

Great news!  I'm curious are you going to port your Black Hawk?  What's the biggest difference between a Kiowa from today and a Kiowa from another era...like maybe the 90s?

In regard to my helo pack from A2, see my post just above yours.

Some of the upgrades to the KW over the years have been...

The mast mounted sight was removed in the F variant, and it now has FLIR mounted under the nose.

In 2012 the instrument panel was redesigned, one MFD was completely removed and replaced with analog gauges and a fire control computer.

Also, air bags were installed and I am sure there were a lot of other things that are beyond me at the moment, but those are the major ones that I know off the top of my head.

EDIT: Also, new proximity sensors were added, upgraded or re-positioned, flare launchers were added and a new skid design was added.

Oh, and the M-296 was replaced by the newer M-3P machine gun, which I plan on modeling as well.

The Kiowa Warrior is in the process of being retired, both Sikorsky and Bell are competing to be the manufacturers of it's new replacement, which will be decided in 2017 as part of the Future Vertical Lift program.

-AD

In regard to my helo pack from A2, see my post just above yours.

Dangit, I just became that person lol.

I think if you ported your Blackhawks, completed your Kiowas and made a Chinook, and then combined a version of your helicopter with my US Military Mod it would be epic!

I really think also you putting so much attention into the Kiowa is awesome.  There's just something humble about this helicopter that makes it so attractive.

• Like 1

I have a fairly long list of helos and vehicles (and models in varying degrees of completion)  that I would like to bring into ArmA 3, the MH-60M is on that list.

I do know though that if I did an MH-60M addon for A3, it wouldn't be a straight across port of those old models, they're a little low quality for A3.

Despite the long development times, I am a fan of creating 100% unique models and textures, this will be my MO with anything that I make from now on.

This all depends on a myriad of things, but for now I am very motivated and determined to make everything that is in my power to make, so stay tuned for sure.

Thanks for your interest,

- AD

You have no idea how happy that makes me. We need more non-ported helicopters in ArmA III :)

• Like 2

there will also be the version OH58F?

Great pics...

My first post addresses this question though...

So far I only have plans to create several versions of the Delta variant but would love to do the newer Foxtrot variant as well, we will see what happens.

Still too early to give a definite answer but I am not against it right now.

heripai is still working on something, maybe you should contact him.. https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/142697-wip-oh-58kiowa-pack/i saw testing it with arma3, but i don't now if and when is going to release it

Yes, Heripai and myself have PMed a bit, he has a great, unique model and he does some awesome work, looking forward to his release.  :)

UPDATE

Many tweaks and changes were made over the last few days, I have included them all in this video.

Also, at the end of the week I will be purchasing 2 plugins for photoshop called dDo and NdO2 which will help me create very detailed, hi-res textures. Around the same time conversion to .p3d and addon creation will begin.

Cheers,

-AD

• Like 1