Sign in to follow this  
ja391045

Place Vehicle With "wrecked" skin.

First off, I'm fairly new to Arma 3 mission editing, and after a lot of searching, I've not found the answer for a specific atmosphere I'd like to create.

The mission I'm working on should begin, following several helicopters and trucks being sabotaged.  So when the mission loads, the first thing I want the player to see is the burning/smoking wrecks of a lot of vehicles, as well as crews of personnel trying to put out the fires.  What I'd like to do, is to be able to set an empty vehicle, and then somehow attach it's wrecked skin, instead of it's normal skin.

I've tried the setDamage method, but when you do that, all the helicpoters explode.  So the first thing the player sees is a bunch of explosions instead of a bunch of burning wrecks.  (These explosions would also wipe out the crews who are firefighting).  The vehicles were supposed to have been sabotaged hours beforehand, not in the presence of the player, so the explosions wouldn't make sense.     I've also tried the "setHitPointDamage <part_name> <value>" method, which wrecks the various parts of the helicopters independently.  However, that makes the vehicle look like it's been in a firefight, it doesn't look like someone slapped a half pound of C-4 to the bottom of the helo, lit the fuse, and let it burn for a couple hours.   Finally, I've tried using setPosATL to place the helo underground, then setDamage1, then using setPosATL to put it back above ground, but this looks...strange.  I either have to keep the helo underground for a few seconds, so that from the player POV they pop in to existence after the mission loads, or the explosion isn't finished so that they pop into existence while they are exploding.

What I would like to be able to accomplish is the same effect as: "setDamage 1", without the explosion.  While looking through all the variables and .pbo data associated with the MH9 (a.k.a. B_Heli_Light_01_F), I was able to find it's wrecked model.  This is the model that is used after you setDamage 1, and the explosion goes off.  ( "\A3\Air_F\Heli_Light_01\Heli_Light_01_wreck_F).   If I could just place this model on the map, it would serve my purposes, I could set it on fire, etc.

Does anyone know of a way to fully wreck a helicopter without the explosion, or how to place a specific skin or model of a vehicle on the map?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tried createVehicle with the wreck names in your init file?

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/createVehicle

_heli = "Heli_Light_01_wreck_F" createVehicle getMarkerPos "helispawn";

or could try this.

http://killzonekid.com/arma-scripting-tutorials-how-to-make-a-wreck/

Along with the fire and smoke modules if you are just using the editor.

I've had success with putting

this enableSimulation false; this setDamage 1;

in a units init, though you might want to switch those round (can't remember if it matters).

• Like 1

Thank you both for trying to help out.  My apologies for the late thanks, but I was caught up in one heck of work week, and didn't get a chance to hop back on the forums to say thanks.

Neither of these suggestions prevents the helicopter from exploding.  Disabling simulation prevents the helicopter from burning, but the explosion still happens.   For some reason, createVehicle doesn't do anything.  No errors, nothing appears, it just doesn't do anything.   I think it's because Heli_Light_01_wreck_F isn't a vehicle, but just a vehicle's skin/texture.

I do have an idea about how to accomplish what I want, but I don't know how to do the specifics, I'll have to read up on that.

I'm thinking I can use config.cpp or description.ext to subclass the helicopter I want to turn into a wreck, and in the subclass, change the vehicles model "skin" to that of the wrecked version.  So I'd have to create both an add-on, to provide the wrecks, on top of the mission/scenario.

Something like this is what I have in mind:

class cfgVehicles 
{
    class B_Heli_Light_01_F;

class B_Heli_Light_01_wrecked_F: B_Heli_Light_01_F
    {
        model = "\path\to\B_Heli_Light_01_wrecked_F.pba" 
    };
};

I think if I create a vehicle with the wrecked skin in an add-on, I can then place the vehicle on the map, set it on fire, etc.