teamwolf

Embedding Video in Arma 3 map

Is there a way to embed  a youtube file to a sign so it shows up in a map?

• Like 1

I doubt it. Even if there was, multiplayer would be super laggy. Not only that, but Arma doesn't support standard video formats, only .OGV

DON'T quote me but i remember BI talking about a code function to play youtube video cant find it of hand

Someone (the name escapes me) was working on an extension to play video's as textures on world objects.

As for a video playing in the map you would need to create a RscTitles display. (See UI Documentation for details). You can create the resource using cutRsc ["RscName","PLAIN",true]. This will create a rsc layer that will be displayed even when the map is open. Its just a case of positioning the resource using the ctrl command set.

You can create a class and give it a type of static video. Then using some scripting commands you can call the video to play (with sound), much like BI has done with their functions.

Hope this points you in the right direction

Someone (the name escapes me) was working on an extension to play video's as textures on world objects.

As for a video playing in the map you would need to create a RscTitles display. (See UI Documentation for details). You can create the resource using cutRsc ["RscName","PLAIN",true]. This will create a rsc layer that will be displayed even when the map is open. Its just a case of positioning the resource using the ctrl command set.

You can create a class and give it a type of static video. Then using some scripting commands you can call the video to play (with sound), much like BI has done with their functions.

Hope this points you in the right direction

No extension is needed. (I think) only Display 1100 on RscMissionScreen is capable of playing an OGG video as a hidden selection. Volume of the file will be the same for all clients in the mission. I'm pretty sure you can't pause or terminate the video without the audio remaining; I suppose you could just play a very short clip to act as a stop functionality. It took some time to figure out a encoding configuration that the game engine liked. Unfortunately I don't have the settings anymore, so hopefully you will have better luck than me on your first attempt. Start with a small video to convert to make sure your encoding is acceptable!

This was a 30+ minute game capture from an operation, so to reduce the size of the mission, I played the video from a mod that was listed on the Steam Workshop. The following snippet requires an empty marker named "screen"

disableSerialization;
_display = findDisplay 1100;
with uiNamespace do {
    _screen = "Land_Billboard_F" createVehicle getMarkerPos "screen";
    _screen setObjectTexture [0,"\3rdid_extra\video.ogv"];
    1100 cutRsc ["RscMissionScreen","PLAIN"];
    _scr = BIS_RscMissionScreen displayCtrl 1100;
    _scr ctrlSetPosition [0,-5000,0,0];
    _scr ctrlSetText "\3rdid_extra\video.ogv";
    _scr ctrlAddEventHandler ["VideoStopped", 
    {
        (uiNamespace getVariable "BIS_RscMissionScreen") closeDisplay 1;
    }];
    _scr ctrlCommit 0;
};

His name is Killzone Kid (He's preferred to not be called a kid, but he has made playing videos on objects. However, I don't recall him playing a video off the internet except radio)