Sign in to follow this  
yolojenkins

low FPS

I have tried using the startup parameters and pretty much everything, but I still get low FPS and I was wondering if it was my system hardware

I have a AMD A8-6500 APU 4 Core 3.5-3.9 GHZ processor
MSI GTX 970 4G 
8GB RAM

I have tried using the startup parameters and pretty much everything, but I still get low FPS and I was wondering if it was my system hardware

I have a AMD A8-6500 APU 4 Core 3.5-3.9 GHZ processor

MSI GTX 970 4G 

8GB RAM

What start up parameters? How low is "low FPS"?

Hi, for arma series you need fast cpu. Overclocked intel sandy bridge (2500k) upwards is recommended. Look into the pinned threads in the troubleshooting area to get more tips.

I normally get 15-20 FPS 30 if i'm lucky And i've tried -corecount -exthreads -high -winxp -maxmem -maxvram  etc and I put my ingame settings on their lowest

I was wondering if it was my system hardware

Yes, that processor is not remotely suitable for Arma.

You will need a new motherboard and CPU to get playable framerates most likely. I have an i5 3350P, and it is really too slow for this game, yet that model is still 30-50% faster than yours. As an example of a "good" CPU, an Intel i7 4790K @4.4GHz is getting like 250% performance of your 6500.

I would say that if you want to play Arma, an i5-7 Sandy Bridge is bare minimum, with an i5-7 Haswell+ being recommended. Typically, over 3.5GHz turbo since single threaded performance is key.

Ignoring Arma, that's a really lopsided computer build anyway. You have a decent new GPU with a totally obsolete CPU and moderate RAM (assuming it's 1600/C9 or so). I'm not sure what game it's designed for (BF4?) but you really would want a new processor anyway. A good balance with the CPU would be something like an i5 4570 or i7 4770.

All that said, I can't tell you what framerates you'll get without knowing what missions/servers you play and with what settings. I mean, I get around 23FPS on a full KOTH server, yet 45-60FPS on a low-AI COOP server. If you want 60FPS+ on the big MP servers, I'm not sure there's a CPU out there that can deliver that with good quality settings: That's an engine "feature" caused by server FPS heavily impacting client FPS.

What's about the best processor I can get with a MSI 2AE0 motherboard

Well, to answer that you should look up what socket your motherboard has, then look up all the CPUs that fit that socket, then compare them using the website linked to above in this thread where the guy compared CPUs. If you're going to have a custom built PC you should understand how to build one. Start learning and get to researching. All the answers are out there, fairly easily found via your search engine of choice.

Hint: you're going to need a new motherboard too, as I said above. This is all quite a large investment for one game. If your other games are running fine then maybe just stick to those. I mean, I get crap FPS on Arma (some missions at least), but since I get decent FPS on every other game I play, I just deal with it instead of spending $500 chasing a 10FPS bump here.

Why did you blow like 500 bucks on a top of the line Graphics card when your Motherboard and CPU are so... not top of the line. It's like putting a supercharger in a Ford Model T.

I upgraded my graphics card to my GTX 970, and I got a MSI board that I was told would work with my graphics card then I later planned to update my processor but I didn't know the board only supports 5 processors, And my games are running a bit sluggish anyways, I am not just looking to get good FPS on Arma I am trying to get a CPU that can get good FPS on most newer games

An i5-4670 or i5-4670k depending on your budget/desire to overclock is sufficient for Arma 3 and probably most other current gen games if you don't want to spring for an i7. Your current Processor is going to severely bottleneck your GPU unless you plan on playing nothing but console ports. 

I upgraded my graphics card to my GTX 970, and I got a MSI board that I was told would work with my graphics card then I later planned to update my processor but I didn't know the board only supports 5 processors, And my games are running a bit sluggish anyways, I am not just looking to get good FPS on Arma I am trying to get a CPU that can get good FPS on most newer games

Well, this is why you need to do research ahead of time --on your own-- and actually know what you're doing before you do it. You basically wasted $50-100 now on that board. Every board manufacturer will clearly state what socket the board is made for on their website. The chip manufacturers will clearly say on their websites what processors fit what sockets. The benchmarking sites (particularly cpubenchmark.net) will let you know how these processors compare in performance (but also google specific game titles since not all utilize a given part the same *cough arma*). Again, if you're building your own computers for gaming, you need to learn about all this stuff first. What you're doing is like trying to fix a car's engine without knowing what a cam or crankshaft is... it doesn't end well.

Find some enthusiast sites (anandtech, hardocp, tomshardware, etc) read relevant articles, lurk relevant forums, eventually post questions about what you've read, and once you're ready to actually buy the parts, first post a "check my new build" on said forums and get user feedback. A lot of users are idiot kids, so keep in mind a lot of the information isn't exactly trustworthy on those forums, but the big post count older members usually know their stuff and are probably in IT if not engineers. Anyway, all that should take you a few months, but the knowledge gained will be worthwhile if you plan on doing this sort of thing long-term. Otherwise just buy prebuilt systems and save yourself the trouble if you can't bother to inform yourself.

A bit more advice for you regarding Arma and gaming: go with Intel. Since you're upgrading, get a Haswell, Broadwell, or Skylake. I think a 4770 or 4570 would be a good price-performance compromise for the sort of system you're building, and will probably be good enough to keep past your next GPU/RAM upgrade. Note that Broadwell only supports lower voltage RAM so it probably isn't compatible with yours, and Skylake only supports DDR4, which also won't be compatible with yours, so unless you plan to upgrade your RAM with your CPU you should stick with Haswell (the 4770 or 4570 are both that). If those two chips are a bit too expensive, just find a cheaper Haswell. I would guess a new Skylake build is too expensive for you, since it's *just* rolling out, and Broadwell is a pretty skippable generation, hence going with a bit older but still good Haswell is not a bad idea.

Here are some actual A3-specific comparisons I saw in /General:

kkpgKcE.png

Note that your current processor is a lot worse than the lowest one on that list.

This website also has an A3 comparison (below Crysis):

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/940-15/cpu-jeux-3d-crysis-3-arma-iii.html

Depending on how much you want to spend, you could possibly double your FPS since your current CPU is so garbage.

• Like 1