Placebo

VBS2/3 Discussion thread - the one and only

On another note, what is the process behind getting the PE edition of VBS3? Can we preorder the PE edition? I might consider purchasing it.

Also, I found some nice commands VBS2 has that would benefit Arma 3's library, but there are over 1000 and I'm still flipping through and reading about all of them. Is Arma3's library almost as vast as VBS2's library?

Edited by ProGamer

Back in July, one of BISim's support team stated that they hadn't yet decided whether there would be a PE version of VBS3 at all, and that they probably wouldn't announce their decision until next month (December 2013), ahead of the launch of pre-release access in January 2014.

I suggest you wait and see what they say in the coming couple of months.

Look at this here: https://transnet.act.nato.int/WISE/COE/Individual/MS/Events/8thNATOCAX/Keynotespe/SESSION7AC/3VBS3Turne/file/_WFS/3%20-%20VBS3%20-%20Turner.pdf

Arma 3 maps and units in a VBS3?

---------- Post added at 05:07 ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 ----------

So VBS takes units and features from Arma 3 but Arma 3 doesn't take anything from VBS3?

---------- Post added at 05:19 ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 ----------

Back in July, one of BISim's support team stated that they hadn't yet decided whether there would be a PE version of VBS3 at all, and that they probably wouldn't announce their decision until next month (December 2013), ahead of the launch of pre-release access in January 2014.

I suggest you wait and see what they say in the coming couple of months.

Maybe we will get a "civilian" version thats slightly cheaper this go around targeting those sim players with extra cash?

Then they would be targeting the two groups with the most money to spend.

---------- Post added at 05:27 ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 ----------

This is interesting but oldish:

70. FutureArmA3 is our next “game for entertainment†release Further graphical enhancements 3D clouds Rag-doll animation Inverse kinematics Full support for industry standard scriptingBeyond VBS2 v2.0: Ease of use Multi-server architecture • Server redundancy … and a number of other important yet-to-be-announced features ïŠ Copyright © 2012 Bohemia Interactive Simulations s.r.o. All other trademarks or copyrights are the property of their respective owners. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.slideshare.net/BrianLucke/vbs2-20-update-march-2012

The whole point of da12thMonkey's post was to say that as of July the seemingly on-the-record answer on BISim's end was "we dunno, we probably won't say until December"...

It is getting to the point where feature parity wise there really isn't that much of an advantage of VBS over Arma, especially when you roll in Arma mods. Unless you are doing seriously training then I don't see what justification you can make for buying VBS just for your own use.

It is getting to the point where feature parity wise there really isn't that much of an advantage of VBS over Arma, especially when you roll in Arma mods. Unless you are doing seriously training then I don't see what justification you can make for buying VBS just for your own use.

Feature wise of VBS vs Arma includes moving around on moving vehicles, Physx rope, better aircraft simulation, ect... There is no one major feature that's better than arma, but rather many smaller ones.

VBS is like the ultimate sim, and tries to simulate everything while others like DCS only simulate aircraft. Feature wise you could mod in almost everything that VBS has into Arma 3 but there are certain features that cannot just be handled by modders. Though some of these limitations/issues can be fixed. It's a weird relationship between VBS and Arma when compared to the rest of the gaming industry though! :)

VBS is a good place to go "shopping" for scripting commands that Arma 3 could use though. As if they were good enough for VBS, why not Arma?

Edited by ProGamer

I am sorry, but having worked extensively with both platforms for almost 4 years now I can safely say that VBS is not the "ultimate" sim if you are talking about realism. There are many features that are not realistic and are direct mirrors of features in A1/A2. ACE + A2 actually has more realistic simulations of a number of things vs. VBS2.

The point of VBS2 is not to be "super realism" it is meant to be a training aide, and as such many parts of "realism" are glossed over to focus on the core aspects of infantry training.

Also last time I checked both games had the exact same fixed-wing flight FDM.

Basically the only major feature differences are the ones you listed, and even those are not great (moving on vehicles is still somewhat iffy). Yes there are some nice scripting commands, and you can do interesting things with the models (like the BMI and height commands) but other than that the engine doesn't really offer much for non-training gameplay.

Don't get your hope too high.

They use Arma2/3 asset (and share some tech) to show the sim. It doesn't mean that's coming with.

For exemple in VBS2 2.00 we only have Takistan + a few PMC from the dlc (At least for PE user).

On the last page of the pdf, you can see StalkerGB's unit... from Arma3.

VBS is not the "ultimate" sim if you are talking about realism.

Amen. If anyone's reading this thread and contemplating buying VBS for the realism, I'll strongly advise against it. It's not a simulator by miles, it's a military training tool. If it's a simulator you're after you'd be better off with A3 and TMR.

I distinctly remember Rocket saying that in the course of trying to get shooting-from-vehicles going for Arma 3 he took a look at what the VBS2 implementation was and found it "useless"...

Underground (right screenshot) and certain terrain differences (left screenshot).

What does it explain?

From where these features came from. :rolleyes:

You mean DayZ Money versus Riverside Money? :lol:

Who has more? Depending on the popularity of Dayz standalone, couldn't BI gain more money?

---------- Post added at 07:30 ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 ----------

That is just mean teasing.

http://i.imgbox.com/acmYpkAN.jpg

Don't ask. This explains.

Sometimes it feels as though they check out the forums for what people want in Arma and then do it in VBS.

Sometimes it feels as though they check out the forums for what people want in Arma and then do it in VBS.

Uh no they add a lot of features as they are requested (and paid for!) by their major customers. This is something people seem to not know / ignore about VBS (2 at least). Most of the "amazing" features were added by request (and payment) of their customers, a lot of the features aren't (or previously weren't) available to all VBS customers. For example the sky diving / HALO system which is shown in a lot of BISim's promo videos was only recently shared with all the people who own VBS2.

The snow thing could be pretty easily done via the community for A2/A3 and actually looks sorta like an existing tech that someone worked on in A1/A2 for dynamic terrain.

I distinctly remember Rocket saying that in the course of trying to get shooting-from-vehicles going for Arma 3 he took a look at what the VBS2 implementation was and found it "useless"...

Because dean is the authority when it comes to game design?

At the very least he was the only (former) dev to weigh in on the subject at all in public (even if it is on Reddit) while Dwarden I recall basically said "told to work on something else", and I don't recall any (other) Arma 3 devs saying anything about shooting-from-vehicles for Arma 3.

The snow thing could be pretty easily done via the community for A2/A3 and actually looks sorta like an existing tech that someone worked on in A1/A2 for dynamic terrain.

Not to toot my own horn too much, but I whipped up a proof of concept for snow in A3 (or A2).

Snow on Altis!

is_this_snow_low.jpg

Obviously the geometry is not as complex as what they are doing in VBS2 (it could be though), and in VBS2 its probably in the actual engine, which would make it a lot faster, but just because its in VBS2 doesn't mean it is entirely impossible.

Not to toot my own horn too much, but I whipped up a proof of concept for snow in A3 (or A2).

Snow on Altis!

http://raceriv.com/arma2/is_this_snow_low.jpg

Obviously the geometry is not as complex as what they are doing in VBS2 (it could be though), and in VBS2 its probably in the actual engine, which would make it a lot faster, but just because its in VBS2 doesn't mean it is entirely impossible.

Very nice! Would love to see that become a finished mod! If you do not have the time then it would be nice to see an open sorce release so that anyone can modify it.

Is it possible to make the snow curve up at the side of the road like in the VBS picture?

Edited by ProGamer

Amen. If anyone's reading this thread and contemplating buying VBS for the realism, I'll strongly advise against it. It's not a simulator by miles, it's a military training tool. If it's a simulator you're after you'd be better off with A3 and TMR.

Not true. At this point VBS2 is much more realistic than ArmA3 with any amount of mods.

Wounding, breathing, fatigue. VBS2 just smokes ArmA3 in those aspects alone. Sides in it are also realistic and have no arcade stuff like 1 APC with some fluff and 4 different names.