Placebo

VBS2/3 Discussion thread - the one and only

Sub'd for awesomeness. I always hoped to try this some day but I'll have to be satisfied with videos.

Cool presentation of VBS: Blue!

Edited by Anthariel

The scale is getting out of hands :D

But VBS doesn't have the weather capabilities Arma 3 does... or well, could have, if they used TrueSKY to it's full potential. =P

That is just awesome.. :)

if they used TrueSKY to it's full potential.

Or something that is less bugged.

TrueSky goes randomly wonky in A3 with full overcast and rain (clouds look like an oil painting)...

For reason the VBS Tactics portion of that video seems most immediately relevant out of the whole of that presentation, if only because Arma's lack of choppy water (or water of different colors) and whole-earth rendering (as technically cool as that may be) is a lot less noticeable/debilitating than AI issues...

The scale is getting out of hands :D

Haha, yes. I'm very curious about the algorithms that they use for the investment of objects such as buildings. I think it is possible to create an algorithm with software like Google Streetview coupled with satellite imagery, but Google Streetview is not available everywhere on the world (Tadjikistan, Afghanistan, Irak etc...) and it's a lot of work. It's a very (and crazy :p) interesting project.

Edited by Anthariel

That is just awesome.. :)

Or something that is less bugged.

TrueSky goes randomly wonky in A3 with full overcast and rain (clouds look like an oil painting)...

Meh. The TrueSKY is limited in Arma 3, which is for the most part, why it does end up looking like an oil paint sometimes. However, when it look good, it looks damn spanking good. In fact, it looks better below the clouds in Arma 3 than it does in War Thunder, and looks worse above the clouds in Arma than it does in WT. I guess that's by design. But, unlocking the full potential of TrueSKY would only benefit. =)

Regarding VBS Tactics, is it enhanced High Command module or different beast altogether?

I'd dare say the latter (depending on what you meant by "enhanced High Command module") considering that 3+ command levels were supported as far back as VBS2 v1.6; note that that that system would be replaced in VBS3 v3.5, with a corresponding "Higher Echelon Command" addition to the "Commanding Subordinates" page, with both systems the "assign/select team" functionality (practically 1:1 with Arma) was recommended for fire teams, and Zeus' placed objects tree (the EDIT menu) can be seen as roughly analogous to the VBS3 Editor Object Tree (both Offline Mission Editor and Real Time Editor). In contrast, there isn't nearly a similar equivalent in vanilla Arma 3 for what you saw of VBS Tactics.

"Other possibilities", what do you mean? Is there a way to buy a licence for VBS3 without being part of military or academics (sorry if I misunderstood your post, but I'm very interested in such a matter)?

Hi Schroeder,

As Jeff has mentioned in his post BISIM no longer offers personal editions for sale as we are solely focused on supporting our military, government and commercial customer base who are the intended users of VBS and the new line up of software we offer. The cryptic advice that there may be other possibilities comes back to what many others have posted in this topic. This being the purchase of a commercial licensed subscription. Due to the cost involved in this yearly subscription it isn't really a viable alternative for the average home user. Hope that clears up the ambiguity in the previous post.

Regards,

Troy

Haha, yes. I'm very curious about the algorithms that they use for the investment of objects such as buildings. I think it is possible to create an algorithm with software like Google Streetview coupled with satellite imagery, but Google Streetview is not available everywhere on the world (Tadjikistan, Afghanistan, Irak etc...) and it's a lot of work. It's a very (and crazy :p) interesting project.

Considering that you only need very limited detail for operations where the entire world is actually required that's not a big issue. Think of flightsimulator level "building" cuboids. Special areas of interest can be hand-modelled to higher degree when required.

Hello Troy,

Thank you for your interesting answer and for clarifying the information. If someday the company changes its mind about it, I will certainly buy a personal edition, as many others surely will do.

Regards,

Schroeder

Got a question here -

First off I am not sure if this is the right thread to post this - So forgive me if I made a mistake.

Will VBS: Blue be integrated into the ARMA Series at some point in the future?

Just thought I would ask,

HeadClot

Got a question here -

First off I am not sure if this is the right thread to post this - So forgive me if I made a mistake.

Will VBS: Blue be integrated into the ARMA Series at some point in the future?

Just thought I would ask,

HeadClot

It is highly unlikely since they have both become completely different products and are developed by separate companies.

Given the divide between the two companies, i would like to know from a BISim dev, if there would ever be a possibility in the future of certain features that could benefit your close but still distant sister company that develops Arma 3, would BISim and BIStudio ever be willing to collaborate to bring limited advances to the Arma Engine?

Given the divide between the two companies, i would like to know from a BISim dev, if there would ever be a possibility in the future of certain features that could benefit your close but still distant sister company that develops Arma 3, would BISim and BIStudio ever be willing to collaborate to bring limited advances to the Arma Engine?

I would doubt it. In the past that happened fairly often (they shared literally the same code base) but now I believe engine development has entirely parted ways.

VBS 3 3.7 is available for download guys, check BI forum :)

VBS 3 3.7 is available for download guys, check BI forum :)

Thanks for the news.

BISIM definitely bumps up theirs sea related 'anything' ;)