Placebo

VBS2/3 Discussion thread - the one and only

Well, nobody is stopping you contacting BISim for a personal edition (which they mentioned is not available anymore). They might offer you a expensive licence (1500-2500$).

After you paid that little sum, you will wait for your 4 DVD Disks and the HASP-USB-Key. After playing arround 1-2 hours, please come back hear and give feedback if the money was worth the playing arround.

I bet you will be dissapointed as most are (including myself)

If you get access to the personal edition, get ready to be stuck on Version 3.4. And since Edward left BISim, there is not much support for personel editions.

And Btw, most features everybody talks about, are all scripted. So there is no dynamic interaction like in CSE/AGM or ACE back in the days. Every mission needs to be scripted properly.

You are probably better off supporting some mod teams here on the forums like RHS, TFAR, ACRE, AGM, CSE and many others than spending those euros on a training tools which will keep you happy for 2-5 hours.

Thanks for the tip :) My comment wasn't meant to be taken serious though.

I've watched enough VBS videos to understand what it's good for and to know we don't want most of that in Arma. Also messed a bit with the JCOVE version and if I end up having some money to blow, I will look into picking up a copy of VBS3 at some point. For now I'm quite content mucking about with Arma modding.

I just really liked like the vehicles in BL's video and the functionality they offer but I understand how my comment gave off a different impression.

Another nice video from TBOC SIMS which showcases VBS Usage pretty well...

B

do you know of other videos featuring naval warfare other than those in the older promotional material that are on youtube from bisim. another channel that you have to browse/be lucky to find.

thanks

I have played VBS 1 for a few hours long time ago. The original Operation Flashpoint lookalike. I don' remember it having a server browser or anything of that sort. Maybe there was a LAN mode can't remember cause it was many years ago.

I wonder are there actually people playing VBS 3 online? Are there mods being made for it and are there communities like Shaktac or United Operations playing it on dedicated servers? If not I see absolutely no reason to spend such amounts of money for singleplayer scenarios with some cool features. Forgive me but in that case it's just another one of those dull simulators that feel like work. Well VBS actually is work :D

IForgive me but in that case it's just another one of those dull simulators that feel like work.

That's the whole point of VBS. It's not there to entertain but it's a tool that armies can use to simulate things.

And this time, it's not even sold to individuals! (Although VBS2 Personal Edition license-holders were offered free upgrades to VBS3, I understand that version-wise it's still behind where the military clients are up to.)

For anyone who wants to see some of the differences in that respect (Arma 3 as game for entertainment vs. VBS3 as training tool), just look at the manual for VBS3Strike v3.2, a Java-based (Sun JRE 6+) application...

Defused,

You may email, support@bisimulations.com and submit a ticket for sales. However as has been previously posted we no longer offer personal editions but there may be other possibilities. You are free to explore that route.

Is there an explanation for why BISim has included a "Down's Syndrome Child" model under both the Iraqi and the Afghan Civilians factions?

Afghan: https://resources.bisimulations.com/content/index.html?category=People&group=af_civilians&object=vbs2_af_child_male_downs_01

Iraqi: https://resources.bisimulations.com/content/index.html?category=People&group=iq_civilians&object=vbs2_iq_child_downs_01 (and the next 5 entries down the list)

Is there an explanation for why BISim has included a "Down's Syndrome Child" model under both the Iraqi and the Afghan Civilians factions?

For CIMIC training

Apologies if this has already been posted.

It has, on the previous page :p

Defused,

You may email, support@bisimulations.com and submit a ticket for sales. However as has been previously posted we no longer offer personal editions but there may be other possibilities. You are free to explore that route.

"Other possibilities", what do you mean? Is there a way to buy a licence for VBS3 without being part of military or academics (sorry if I misunderstood your post, but I'm very interested in such a matter)?

HD Model of U.S. Army Pilot Represents ‘Next-Gen’ Content in VBS3

VBS3 is capable of displaying entities with this photo-realistic level of detail, with polygon counts in the 50K-60K range and higher. BISim artists are capable of reproducing everything from the smallest weapon to the biggest ship in VBS3. Here is an article with a photogallery of a new US helicopter pilot character in VBS3, representing the next generation of models in coming in version 3.7.

An interesting video showing the Rheinmetall Combat & Gunnery Skills Trainer (CGST) using VBS3 for visualisation.

B

And another new video - this one showcases the new BI Sim product - "Tactics" (Not the same as Arma Tactics ;) )

B

Now thats what Ive been waiting for all my life ^^^ :inlove:

Doubt its available for standard private vbs owner tho...

You can tell it's ITEC time! - New tech videos coming thick and fast!

Here's another two sortof related videos and, for once, I totally agree - wouldn't this sort of thing be Awesome to have in Arma!?

B

New Maritime Features in VBS3 v3.7

In VBS3 v3.7, Bohemia Interactive Simulations is introducing a number of new maritime features. This includes early access to the following maritime features: visual representation of sea states 0 to 12, prototype ship physics, variable stern and bow wakes, coastal effects with waves that correspond to wind direction, variable water color and opacity, and configurable sea states in scenario settings and synchronized across networks. Visit www.bisimulations.com to learn more about VBS3 for maritime simulations.

We are still waiting for the personnal edition update :(

It is very impressive.

At the Innovation Showcase today at ITEC, BISim Co-CEO Pete Morrison unveiled tech still under development that will bring whole-earth simulation to the VBS product suite. Morrison presented to a packed area with watchers spilling over into the convention hall aisles.

VBS Blue is a project several months in the making that will render the entire planet for VBS. This exciting never-before-seen prototype provides whole-planet rendering within VBS, with impressive procedural detail based upon minimal source data.

Interesting!

If only they got some more Maritime based support over to Arma 3. The possibilities. With ArmA 3's smoother PhysX system, it could benefit so many aspects of gameplay. Man, every time i see something on VBS, one could only imagine how that could be brought to ArmA 3, that would bring a whole new layer of gameplay opportunity to the players. I try staying away from VBS videos because it makes one dream too much. But it's hard to avoid it. :butbut:

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial