Placebo

VBS2/3 Discussion thread - the one and only

No offense to you J3Aleine but this is the most retarded thing I've ever seen.

How can you imagine that i will be offended by you ? What is "retarded" here ?

JimT : Dr. Jim Templeman i suppose, glad to meet you on this forum.

I think that it's a another and interesting way to control our virtual soldier and i am reading the documentation (pdf), impressive.

I'm just a VBS3 PE user, i was wondering if Pointman Interface is only for USMC ?

My apologies for my poor english, have a good day.

I think that it's a another and interesting way to control our virtual soldier and i am reading the documentation (pdf), impressive.

Thank you.

I'm just a VBS3 PE user, i was wondering if Pointman Interface is only for USMC?

Pointman was originally developed for the USMC, but the US Army & other US DoD organizations should be able to obtain access to it. NATO members would probably have to go through channels to obtain access. I don’t see a way of distributing it directly to VBS3 Personal Edition users, but then I’m no expert in the licensing of Navy software.

Since I’ve tuned into the forum, I’d be happy to answer questions about the design of the user interface.

-JimT

Hello guys.

I am a big fan of ofp/arma which is unhappy that missed to buy VBS2 !!

Is there a legal way to get it? Is someone selling his licence or where can i buy it?

I hope to hear positive replys.

kind regads

FireAtWill

PS: OFP/ARMA will never DIE !

I still have yet to hear back from anyone in the support forums about how to implement the new creek features when making a map. Someone said that it was likely a creek model, but I keep seeing the term micro-terrains when referring to creeks and am very curious as to what exactly that means and how it was achieved. Seems like no one from BISim answers questions in the PE forums anymore, and there's no documentation that I've been able to find.

We are still thinking about VBS3 Personal Edition (PE). Generally we don't see any negatives.

It would be really cool that happended :cool:

Seems like no one from BISim answers questions in the PE forums anymore, and there's no documentation that I've been able to find.

You should ask in the other subforum, the one dedicated to VBS3, you might get a quicker/better answer. I really hope they will tell us how to do it.

I still have yet to hear back from anyone in the support forums about how to implement the new creek features when making a map. Someone said that it was likely a creek model, but I keep seeing the term micro-terrains when referring to creeks and am very curious as to what exactly that means and how it was achieved. Seems like no one from BISim answers questions in the PE forums anymore, and there's no documentation that I've been able to find.

If you're relying on the BISim forums for direct Q&A support then you may end up waiting for awhile. The *priority* level for Support really exists as such,

1) Walk-in

2) Phone

3) Email

4) Forums

As well PE users are a bit lower on the totem pole when it comes to priority responses. Not that PE users don't matter but the fact is PE users don't pay for support so much of Support's time is spent with paying customers who purchase Gold/Silver hours. If you want a quicker response then I suggest emailing them, you'll definitely get a response much quicker that way.

You should ask in the other subforum, the one dedicated to VBS3, you might get a quicker/better answer. I really hope they will tell us how to do it.

If you haven't received a response yet or seen documentation then it's because they are still working on it. In a perfect world you'll see documentation released before product but that usually is never the case with new flashy things that are developed and in demand. Many thing are still undocumented with VBS but they will eventually get to them all in due time, it's just a lot to cover and despite what most people think there isn't 500 BI people running around. Give them time and they'll get to it :)

Ohh that APC simulator + 6DOF Hexapod platform...

want. Is it possible to extract acceleration data from VBS for such purposes?

New Bohemian Interactive simulation Videos. Electronic Warfare capabilities.

BIS I/ITSEC Video

's snYpir doing a presentation on VBS3 at I/ITSEC 2014, and if you skip to 29:30 there's a snow demonstration that wasn't uploaded separately.

i played arma 3 and wasnt particularly thrilled because of how much it seemed to sacrifice in terms of realism. it reminded me of the king of the hill episode where hank hill gets invited to a focus group at the mall where the lawn mower company is showcasing its new mower. they try to pitch all these high ideas to these rednecks like the fact it has vanity mirrors, luxury cupholders and european seat warmers and at first they are enthralled by these new features, but eventually they realize the at its most basic level the lawn mower no longer is able to mow a lawn.

i always heard about vbs and i know its used in some capacity to train soldiers. the ads always pitch it as a defense industry product with academic applications. so i go and check out vbs3, which is the latest one i take it, and im like dayum. it has all this crazy stuff in it that i wont even go through here, but it is obviously more well-rounded as a simulation of a warzone than arma is. the little things that really bring it home are there. i also noticed that it uses all real world vehicles and weapons which is another thing i dont like about arma 3.

so what im tryin to say here is why are vbs and arma even separate entities? why cant vbs be released as arma would? is it just too damn realistic and they dont want the enemy to train with it? i dont get it. i would literally rather play vbs3 instead of arma 3, but i dont want to call and get a "quote" or have to verify my DOD id card or some shit to play what is essentially a video game.

Edited by PurePassion
Post moved to the correct thread. Please search before posting. Thank you!

ArmA is a game, an entertainment product. VBS is a training tool designed for military/commercial applications, not entertainment. Bohemia Interactive Simulations =/= Bohemia Interactive Studios. Separate companies with separate goals. Different CEO's, investors, etc.

Dedicated VBS thread here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?109702-VBS2-3-Discussion-thread-the-one-and-only

Edited by Nicholas

so what im tryin to say here is why are vbs and arma even separate entities? why cant vbs be released as arma would? is it just too damn realistic and they dont want the enemy to train with it? i dont get it. i would literally rather play vbs3 instead of arma 3, but i dont want to call and get a "quote" or have to verify my DOD id card or some shit to play what is essentially a video game.
To answer the first question, because it's not Bohemia Interactive's (BI) to release... Nicholas already elaborated on BI =/= BISim, so if BISim is only offering "call and get a "quote" or have to verify my DOD id card or some shit"...

The other thing, as my link (the presentation by BISim co-CEO Peter "snYpir" Morrison) has mention of, is that some of those VBS-exclusive are directly paid for and contracted by client militaries, who in the contracts may even restrict those upgrades among military customers, much less from civilians. For example, as has been said more than once, the snow in VBS3 that you may have seen was paid for by the Swedish military, while some of the Tiger helicopter's upgrades only became "baseline" in v3.6 and before that in v3.4 were Australian-exclusive.

ArmA is a game, an entertainment product. VBS is a training tool designed for military/commercial applications, not entertainment. Bohemia Interactive Simulations =/= Bohemia Interactive Studios. Separate companies with separate goals. Different CEO's, investors, etc.

Dedicated VBS thread here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?109702-VBS2-3-Discussion-thread-the-one-and-only

alright so who do i call so i can play it. you say its not entertainment but it seems pretty entertaining to me.

alright so who do i call so i can play it. you say its not entertainment but it seems pretty entertaining to me.

Join the British Army, Royal Navy, United States Marine Corp., US Army, Royal New Zealand Navy or French Air Force to name a few. Alternatively, save up about £3000* and buy yourself a license

*£3000 is a guess, but VBS1 set me back about £350 back in the day (~8 years ago roughly), but that was when there was a bit of a "gamer" cult following to it. Now its a lot more technologically advanced and is a dedicated simulator environment with a lot more development and much larger backing by Worldwide military institutions.

Edited by Jackal326

Join the British Army, Royal Navy, United States Marine Corp., US Army, Royal New Zealand Navy or French Air Force to name a few. Alternatively, save up about £3000* and buy yourself a license

*£3000 is a guess, but VBS1 set me back about £350 back in the day (~8 years ago roughly), but that was when there was a bit of a "gamer" cult following to it. Now its a lot more technologically advanced and is a dedicated simulator environment with a lot more development and much larger backing by Worldwide military institutions.

I bought it a while back too. Hardly touched it. I had fun in an AC-130 for about an hour and never really played after that. I got it mostly for the tools that came with it though.

In addition to the information posted above, the UK Ministry of Defence has released a

of their VBS2 JCOVE program. While this is very outdated, it is the biggest glance of VBS you can get for free. You can find download mirrors on various websites via a google search.

I own it and it's more of a toy rather than actually a proper game. I mean if you love making your own SP missions and playing them I'm sure you can have some fun but it's not designed for entertainment

EDIT: it also runs poorly, looks janky and feels it.

Another nice video from TBOC SIMS which showcases VBS Usage pretty well...

Thanks. I see the point some people make that it's not really a game but is it okay if I want it even more now? I love those vehicles :yay:

Thanks. I see the point some people make that it's not really a game but is it okay if I want it even more now? I love those vehicles :yay:

Well, nobody is stopping you contacting BISim for a personal edition (which they mentioned is not available anymore). They might offer you a expensive licence (1500-2500$).

After you paid that little sum, you will wait for your 4 DVD Disks and the HASP-USB-Key. After playing arround 1-2 hours, please come back hear and give feedback if the money was worth the playing arround.

I bet you will be dissapointed as most are (including myself)

If you get access to the personal edition, get ready to be stuck on Version 3.4. And since Edward left BISim, there is not much support for personel editions.

And Btw, most features everybody talks about, are all scripted. So there is no dynamic interaction like in CSE/AGM or ACE back in the days. Every mission needs to be scripted properly.

You are probably better off supporting some mod teams here on the forums like RHS, TFAR, ACRE, AGM, CSE and many others than spending those euros on a training tools which will keep you happy for 2-5 hours.