Placebo

VBS2/3 Discussion thread - the one and only

And yet BIS(Simulation department) has much better documented .SQF scripting than does arma 3. And you tell me it's not the same engine? It has execVM and compile etc. All components apart of the .SQF virtual machine. And it's not the same engine? Sure looks like it is.

Just like Bohemia says "Zeus" is an innovation, yet it was already in VBS 2.0 as "Instructor". I don't think it is coincidence.

Edited by Polymath820

And yet BIS(Simulation department) has much better documented .SQF scripting than does arma 3. And you tell me it's not the same engine? It has execVM and compile etc. All components apart of the .SQF virtual machine. And it's not the same engine? Sure looks like it is.

They are both based off of Real Virtuality, yes, but they have long been branched apart and are no longer the "same". They still use the same scripting language, but the engines are not the same.

Go buy a personal edition of VBS3 if it would suit you better.

No it wouldn't... It's just aggravating to see a CryEngine 3 based Military simulator outstrip arma 3 on so many levels.

Arma 3 also suffers not limited to:

1. Shadow Approximation errors (Pixelation of shadows (found in arma 2 as well))

2. Anti-aliasing cost far too high than necessary and model-jagging removal results in "fuzzy edges"

3. Ambient Occlusion costs too high than necessary for not even a noticeable difference

4. Terrain mapping and bump-mapping of terrain "slightly more bumpy" from appearance in the sky but not noticeable

5. Ugly post processing that adds no value to immersion

the list goes on.

Edited by Polymath820

No it wouldn't... It's just aggravating to see a CryEngine 3 based Military simulator outstrip arma 3 on so many levels.

I didn't say it would suit you better, I said purchase it IF it would suit you better.

I highly doubt that the CryEngine 3 military simulator can do half of what the Real Virtuality engine can do -as is (In its current state). The Real Virtuality engine is extremely flexible, which is why so many organizations around the world choose to use VBS over anything else.

Don't know about the flexibility part. You could quite easily use a well developed scripting language such as Python to script missions reducing the development time considerably and allowing main-stream training to develop the missions. Just simply make it so a "stripped down" version of python can call / manipulate the games functions / components and that is it eliminating the concern about "viruses".

That article is from 2011 and the company working on it shit the bed I believe. It apparently was much more limited than VBS hence why VBS 3 won the contract, again.

Don't know about the flexibility part.

The Real Virtuality engine is flexible, just look at all of the mods and even stand-alone games it has spawned. ArmA, a military shooter. DayZ, a zombie survival game. Take On Helicopters, a helicopter simulator. You have RTS game modes such as Warfare, Window Of Opportunity, even the "Life" genre.

Then you have Zeus that is coming out. Real Virtuality is an extremely flexible engine and there is so much that can be done with it. If you can imagine it, it can most likely be done in Real Virtuality. I mean, just look at the diversity on Armaholic.

The most likely reason why you don't see everything that you want in the game is because of time and money constraints.

The Real Virtuality engine is flexible, just look at all of the mods and even stand-alone games it has spawned. ArmA, a military shooter. DayZ, a zombie survival game. Take On Helicopters, a helicopter simulator. You have RTS game modes such as Warfare, Window Of Opportunity, even the "Life" genre.

Then you have Zeus that is coming out. Real Virtuality is an extremely flexible engine and there is so much that can be done with it. If you can imagine it, it can most likely be done in Real Virtuality. I mean, just look at the diversity on Armaholic.

Hell, people are unironically declaring that they'd actually buy the Karts DLC...
That article is from 2011 and the company working on it shit the bed I believe. It apparently was much more limited than VBS hence why VBS 3 won the contract, again.
Ahahaha yes, that's the elephant in the room... though as far as its limits, Vandrel (a BISIM dev) seemed to hint that RTI losing out to VBS3* had more to do with differences that have little to do with what the OP seems to want in a game.

* Apparently VBS3 won the US Army Games For Training (GFT) contract but RTI may have picked up at least one Navy contract?

/This post was deleted by Bohemia Interactive

Arma 3 also suffers not limited to:

1. Shadow Approximation errors (Pixelation of shadows (found in arma 2 as well))

2. Anti-aliasing cost far too high than necessary and model-jagging removal results in "fuzzy edges"

3. Ambient Occlusion costs too high than necessary for not even a noticeable difference

4. Terrain mapping and bump-mapping of terrain "slightly more bumpy" from appearance in the sky but not noticeable

5. Ugly post processing that adds no value to immersion

the list goes on.

I'll believe CryEngine 3 doing ARMA scale warfare when I see it... and if I do I won't be surprised since they're 4 times the size of Bohemia and a 60 mil backing.

I also believe you're making most if not all of those issues with ARMA3 up lol.

---------- Post added at 13:06 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

/This post was deleted by Bohemia Interactive

Bohemia Interactive... Simulations?

Go buy a personal edition of VBS3 if it would suit you better.

How can I buy it. I've been searching trough VBS site and can't find it.

but RTI may have picked up at least one Navy contract?

Apparently even all that stuff is on the rocks at the moment: http://www.military.com/daily-news/2013/09/23/navy-delays-warship-training-contract.html

At the end of the day, cry looks great, but when you actually try to do anything with it you can't.

I know of 2 cryengine projects that were both funded to the tune of $40 million each, and the end product that was delivered was VBS based...

But we still don't know if a PE version will be available.

I think nothing is going change. its just a big update for a mil sim which military will use. I think we will remain drooling and dreaming about VBS3 for private use for a long time...

I think nothing is going change. its just a big update for a mil sim which military will use. I think we will remain drooling and dreaming about VBS3 for private use for a long time...

VBS2 has a PE version. That might change for this one but it isn't in the realm of impossibility or anything like that.

When I see the discussion, I have a question, people say that BI and BIsim are two differents company ... okay! but are they any link between them ? like BIsim depends of BI ?

When I see the discussion, I have a question, people say that BI and BIsim are two differents company ... okay! but are they any link between them ? like BIsim depends of BI ?

I've seen dev's allude that they are completely different companies while their business logos ring eerily similar.....:rolleyes:

BISim licensed the RV engine from BI. I'm pretty sure that's it.

Ok so no link between the 2 companies (except the engine and the logo) dafuq ?

Long story short: Just because you bought Arma doesn't make you entitled to something that someone else bought, i.e. VBS2/3. When you buy something, you are entitled to claiming that object as your own. Not another object. 5 year olds tend to understand that, but for some reason a relatively large minority of Arma players don't.

Ok so no link between the 2 companies (except the engine and the logo) dafuq ?

Dont forget assets. just sayin. But I dont know what that really has to do with anything in general. But what do i know. Heres a random thought. Unity is making alot of sense right now.

http://www.rt-immersive.com/media

This is really depressive.

Not only does arma 3 suffer from performance problems. But I get the same GPU usage and less CPU usage in Crysis 2 and the CryEngine 3 development set. Than arma 3. All on a GTX 650... and I5-2400 3.5Ghz Bohemia pull your socks up. And before anyone makes an excuse the "terrain is too large"

I am sorry we need to stop making excuses for bohemia and face it bohemia are going to lose their VBS contract (http://www.pcgamer.com/au/2011/05/31/us-military-commission-57m-virtual-reality-training-sim-powered-by-cryengine-3/) . It's only a matter of time before they get kicked out of the Military simulation department as well.

We have

http://unigine.com/

Valley Benchmark...

Honestly Bohemia you are holding back so bad. It is so angering.

I compared one critical object behavior in unigine and in Arma3.

Here is one more:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71026113/LinkedContent/unigine_sg_forum.png

How do you search and target the landing zone or enemy in the green shape? If you fly closer than rocks appear just like in red shape. Unigine fail in terrain simulation. It is only a "Looking good" engine for arcade games. Nothing more! I never tested the CryEngine but i think it is same category like Unigine.