Placebo

VBS2/3 Discussion thread - the one and only

no ACRE
This is actually a pretty important one for ACRE fans; on the one hand, there is an equivalent for VBS2 called Calytrix Comm Net Radio Simulator (CNR-Sim) that actually has a free version bundled in with VBS2 licenses. On the other hand, want to know just how many channels/frequencies/nets it has? A whole whopping TWO, and one team, all without "the ability to listen to different Channels in the Left Ear and Right Ear", user-configurable channels/teams, user-configurable signal degradation (simulated signal loss/noise/jamming), or even a graphical numerical keypad for entering ad hoc transmit frequencies...

Yea, CNR is a joke, everyone I have talked to says it sucks.

Hey Calytrix, want something better than your product thats already done and people like? Shoot me a PM. ;)

And let me guess, ACRE has all of the above (as well as unlimited channels/frequencies/nets and teams, not including the ad hoc transmit frequencies that a player may enter by said graphical numeric keypad) but isn't out-of-the-figurative-box compatible with VBS2?

And let me guess, ACRE has all of the above (as well as unlimited channels/frequencies/nets and teams, not including the ad hoc transmit frequencies that a player may enter by said graphical numeric keypad) but isn't out-of-the-figurative-box compatible with VBS2?

It has all those features, and further more it is a radio SIMULATOR. It is meant to teach how to use radios, the actual radios they will go out an deploy with (which is lost on most Arma players).

Actually it is for the most part. :) It'd def need some work though in its current state, but really the engines are similar enough that what VBS2 lacks (yes fanboys I said lacks) can be made up for with some clever work. The code is designed to work on multiple platforms (including VBS, which really is just writing a compatible library).

Seriously, ASTi and CNR have had year years to compete with ACRE, but haven't had to because ACRE isn't entirely in the VBS game because of a few past issues (unrelated to ACRE, mainly due to financing).

So if there are any wealthy investors out there that want to smoke the current competition or BIS wants to get an actual radio system I am their man. ;)

I said out-of-the-figurative-box compatible, no clever-or-not work or "writing a compatible library" required. ;) Still, thank you for the illuminating peek behind the curtain.

I would like to emphasize that I was comparing ACRE against CNR-Sim Free specifically, since you haven't locked the above 'missing' features behind a $599 - $999 paywall. ;)

P.S. Any objection if I were to add you on Skype?

the engines are similar enough that what VBS2 lacks

Given that since 2.0 VBS has had all the same scripting commands and config abilities as A2:OA, I'm not sure what it lacks (beyond CBA, but thats not all roses and sunshine either...)

yes fanboys I said lacks

Want some salsa to go with that chip on your shoulder?

Im sticking by my guns, it is a great product, it may lack an online community but so what? Its a professional tool with many applications, coupled with the fact that technology wise its far more advanced than what you all have ;)

coupled with the fact that technology wise its far more advanced than what you all have ;)

Well that's just not true...

VBS is still on DirectX 9, Arma 3 is on DirectX 11

VBS doesn't feature ragdoll or Inverse Kinematics, Arma 3 does

VBS doesn't have the "improvements" to the sound engine that were made in A3

VBS uses physX 2 libraries, Arma 3 uses physX 3 libraries

etc etc

Both versions of the engine have differences, its impossible to say that one is more advanced than the other... (especially not if you're trying to be smug about it ;) )

It is bloody good though!

• A redesigned, cleaner, and simpler user interface
  • Support for larger multi-map terrains (over 2000km by 2000km), including high-detail insets
  • Improved network performance, allowing for increased number of clients and AI entities
  • Improved procedural and multi-map terrain rendering
  • Support for high-fidelity graphics
  • Improved support for the maritime environment, including large and high-detail ships
  • Improved physics via PhysX by Nvidia middleware
  • Reworked animation system for increased realism
  • Improved after-action review (AAR) capability, including AAR editing
  • Robust and proven HLA and DIS interoperability
  • Integrated digital chalkboard for military overlays in both 2D and 3D

Not bad, eh?

I said out-of-the-figurative-box compatible, no clever-or-not work or "writing a compatible library" required. ;) Still, thank you for the illuminating peek behind the curtain.

I would like to emphasize that I was comparing ACRE against CNR-Sim Free specifically, since you haven't locked the above 'missing' features behind a $599 - $999 paywall. ;)

P.S. Any objection if I were to add you on Skype?

No problem if you want to add me on skype, same name as forum name.

Also ACRE1 works out of the box on VBS2 1.60+ and above (when built for it, all public builds are made for Arma at the moment). ACRE2 technically should work minus some CBA stuff that got written in but hasn't had alternate capability added (CBA is being written out of ACRE2 though specifically for that reason).

---------- Post added at 06:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 AM ----------

Im sticking by my guns, it is a great product, it may lack an online community but so what? Its a professional tool with many applications, coupled with the fact that technology wise its far more advanced than what you all have ;)

I don't think anyone is denying its a great product, it really is, it is just annoying seeing people think that it is some god level game compared to A3 when it really isn't. You will always have more fun in A2/A3. There is more content, a more active open community, more players, more access to the developers with out paying huge fees (16k a year to get what the Biki and this forum community gets in you in support), and it still looks better (that one example videos is not demonstrative of even close to a majority of the quality of content in VBS2 right now).

If you are doing serious gaming, as in training or experimentation then VBS is the platform to go with. If you are looking to play and have fun then Arma is the platform to go with.

It is bloody good though!

• A redesigned, cleaner, and simpler user interface
  • Support for larger multi-map terrains (over 2000km by 2000km), including high-detail insets
  • Improved network performance, allowing for increased number of clients and AI entities
  • Improved procedural and multi-map terrain rendering
  • Support for high-fidelity graphics
  • Improved support for the maritime environment, including large and high-detail ships
  • Improved physics via PhysX by Nvidia middleware
  • Reworked animation system for increased realism
  • Improved after-action review (AAR) capability, including AAR editing
  • Robust and proven HLA and DIS interoperability
  • Integrated digital chalkboard for military overlays in both 2D and 3D

Not bad, eh?

I can't take you seriously when all you're doing is repeating marketing talk - you're no better than ProGamer in that respect. Have you actually had MP experiences that took advantage of any of the things you cite? Honestly? The smugness of your prior bit:

technology wise its far more advanced than what you all have

and the false nature of that claim, makes you a pot-stirrer. Your glittering words work great on ProGamer types - people who have no actual VBS experience and just gobble up every piece of PR with gusto - but they don't have the same impact on people like Nou or myself, who have actual no-kidding experience with VBS and have a far more grounded understanding of what it is and where it succeeds.

You're just repeating marketing talk, and you're trying to put VBS out as some sort of 'better-than-Arma' product - it's just not true. It's for a different market, it works great for that, but I would personally never choose VBSx over Armax for gaming. The most I want from the VBS<--->Arma relationship is to see some minor features and scripting commands carried across - and that's all it is to me, just some minor features that would be nice to see in Arma. Trying to pass VBS off as some 'perfected' Arma is misleading and dishonest.

I can't take you seriously when all you're doing is repeating marketing talk - you're no better than ProGamer in that respect. Have you actually had MP experiences that took advantage of any of the things you cite? Honestly? The smugness of your prior bit:

and the false nature of that claim, makes you a pot-stirrer. Your glittering words work great on ProGamer types - people who have no actual VBS experience and just gobble up every piece of PR with gusto - but they don't have the same impact on people like Nou or myself, who have actual no-kidding experience with VBS and have a far more grounded understanding of what it is and where it succeeds.

You're just repeating marketing talk, and you're trying to put VBS out as some sort of 'better-than-Arma' product - it's just not true. It's for a different market, it works great for that, but I would personally never choose VBSx over Armax for gaming. The most I want from the VBS<--->Arma relationship is to see some minor features and scripting commands carried across - and that's all it is to me, just some minor features that would be nice to see in Arma. Trying to pass VBS off as some 'perfected' Arma is misleading and dishonest.

First off, ive owned VBS2 since its release and used it to its full potential.

Edit: I never said it was better for gaming. Although there are elements within the VBS engine that, if applied in that environment, would be great!

Yes I have actually, on many occasions, used it to run mission rehearsal and to simulate all levels of the Battle space. Training sections, platoons all the way up to company wide and even battle group level. It is used by all Tiers of the military for a good reason, its is applicable to many training needs.

So not at all am I talking without experience. I have used it a lot and still do, right now.

Its marketing talk because its true and it outlines the capabilities of the engine, which I am a massive fan off because I have seen its potential and its use in many different applications.

:)

Edited by OChristie

the fact that technology wise its far more advanced than what you all have ;)

Dude, everyone you're arguing against here have VBS2 AFAIK. Which is why there's so many people in this thread saying Arma is better in almost every aspect.

It's not that VBS2 is badly made or anything, it's that it's designed as a training tool, not a simulator or anything.

Yes is has potential and there are some features that are wonderful -- the 3d editor, RTE.

But, there isn't a gaming community behind it that will provide the mods for free to exploit even a small part of that potential. Oh you wanna adjust windage on a sniper scope in VBS, How's about fire control for that chopper or tank, well you'd better learn how to program etc etc.

For anyone who doesn't have a small army of programmers, very deep pockets or is in the military, ARMA2 with ACE/ACRE is a significantly more realistic simulator than any private party could dream of creating in VBS2.

Would be nice if BIS added this bit to A3 though:

Support for large-scale 3D models for recreating ships, etc. It is now possible to build large-scale, fully-functional 3D models that can can be hundreds of meters long, and consist of millions of polygons. It is possible for characters to walk on them, they can move using any type of vehicle simulation and they can have animated components.

Although they have been getting closer recently.

Happy new year!

And yup, to jump into the discussion, too I as a PE owner have to say that ArmA outruns VBS2 in many aspects - especially quality-wise.

Some features are nice-to-have and sometimes even fuckingwanttohave (walkable interiors), but when taking a closer look, ArmA often is capable of the same things, feels better and, in many aspects, simply is ahead of VBS2.

But in the end, everyone will use the platform that provides the most fun for him, so it's all good, isn't it? ;)

Cheers!

Nope.

im not very fond with how modding for Arma works

Why?

One difference between ArmA and GTA mod'ing come to my mind, GTA mod'ing community cares little about others IP.

Gnat;2592362']Nope.

Why?

One difference between ArmA and GTA mod'ing come to my mind' date=' GTA mod'ing community cares little about others IP.[/quote']

oh believe me i know how bad people are when it comes to not giving credit/stealing models in the GTA community sadly, Anyway getting back on topic to be completely clear you are saying no one is allowed to use models from VBS in Arma 3, Correct?

Also not related to what i said above but i just saw the video of the snow in VBS 3, Man what i would do to have snow like that in Arma 3 its amazing,

Edited by Rages123

... you are saying no one is allowed to use models from VBS in Arma 3, Correct? ...

Yes. Been discussed many times before. Breach of EULA's. And its 2 different companies.

Snow in A3 has already been discussed recently in another A3 thread. Proof of concept done.