Placebo

VBS2/3 Discussion thread - the one and only

Things can change from VBS2 to VBS3 as well. :)

http://products.bisimulations.com/press-releases/tuesday-december-3-2013-0837/vbs3-iitsec-first-look

---------- Post added at 05:14 ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 ----------

It would be awesome to have VBS3 PE become more accessible with alternative pricing and easier to purchase. A very large community like Arma's could form and then more people would buy it because they could join other players online.

VBS being so similar to Arma allows Arma players to adjust easier and transfer their knowledge from Arma to stuff they do in VBS.

VBS also tends to fix the stuff players complain about in Arma games and adds features people request in Arma games. The wiki is much more informative (Arma's wiki just doesn't seem as detailed). Physx is fully implemented and modders could do much more amazing things ect...

And the "Nothing is impossible" quote is just awesome! :)

this is my best dream but i believe this will never be possible sadly

From that tech-demo video it looks like VBS3 got IK for trees too. At least branches seem to wave with wind instead of the whole tree incl. its bark.

And no popping for grass

And it seems that unfortunately with ArmA3 being such a lazy project (especially RV4 in particular being more like RV3 with a new coat of paint whereas VBS3 looks like it has the true next gen RV) we will never see it rise up to VBS3 even with mods.

Arma3 isn't too bad currently, however I do agree that some of the improvements in VBS3 look superb. Popping grass and trees are my main bugbear with Arma3.

From that tech-demo video it looks like VBS3 got IK for trees too. At least branches seem to wave with wind instead of the whole tree incl. its bark.

LOL. Please read up on what IK and FK are before making this sort of post.

Truth be told, if BIA would be using IK for vegetation, i would laugh my ass of.

Here's a video for the sort of anim(procedural) bia must have used(speedtree in the example)

And no popping for grass

best thing in the entire video. Plus the real reflectivity of the water.

And it seems that unfortunately with ArmA3 being such a lazy project (especially RV4 in particular being more like RV3 with a new coat of paint whereas VBS3 looks like it has the true next gen RV) we will never see it rise up to VBS3 even with mods.

Why would compete with VBS3 in the first place?

Edited by PuFu

VBS3 uses the RV3 engine with enhancements in certain areas. :) Its beautiful!

Just out of interest (based on a post of yours I saw earlier) do you actually have access to VBS3 already? Obviously just ignore this post if you aren't allowed to answer this question.

My simulation business has a VBSDN licenses so I gratefully receive whatever we are granted access too :)

I can only imagine that most of the good stuff in VBS3 can be implemented into A3 as you are able to completely mod and script to your hearts consent! :)

VBS is always ahead than arma - maybe we get those things in arma 5 :D

Wonders and joys of government financing.

And even more crucially, a specific-features-contracting policy unlike BI's "we make a game" policy.

VBS is always ahead than arma - maybe we get those things in arma 5 :D

Maybe not. They seem to be farther apart then before. And then there's a possibility they may want to compete with each other.

The military would buy Arma if it had VBS's features. Features may be under contract or other thing that do not allow Arma to use them. Best you can hope for is a more accessible PE edition.

Maybe not. They seem to be farther apart then before. And then there's a possibility they may want to compete with each other.

The military would buy Arma if it had VBS's features. Features may be under contract or other thing that do not allow Arma to use them. Best you can hope for is a more accessible PE edition.

I didnt mean all of the VBS3 features - only that river , water reflections and the grass but yes - arma can only dream about it sadly ...

Edited by RobertHammer

There is more to a product than the product itself. There is updates, 1:1 customer care and so forth.

The PE edition is easily accessible. All you need is a credit card.

And money, it ain't cheap either compared to Arma3

Seriously unless you are developing for it, have money to blow, or are using it as a training tool VBS is not worth it for the average person, even with all this stuff. There is a very small, hardly active MP community around it, so unless you just like to fuck around in the editor on your own then it is pretty boring since there really isn't any single player game.

And money, it ain't cheap either compared to Arma3

That doesn't make it any less accessible ;)

Seriously unless you are developing for it, have money to blow, or are using it as a training tool VBS is not worth it for the average person, even with all this stuff. There is a very small, hardly active MP community around it, so unless you just like to fuck around in the editor on your own then it is pretty boring since there really isn't any single player game.

A community could grow. They did also say they were thinking about alternative pricing. Pretty much all the simulation features can be disabled.

All I really do in Arma is mess around in the editor...

Edited by ProGamer

That doesn't make it any less accessible ;)

Well, it is. Aside from the fact that you actually have to call them for starters, they won't even sell you a PE edition if you live in certain countries, due to copyright concerns.

A community could grow. They did also say they were thinking about alternative pricing. Pretty much all the simulation features can be disabled.

This is you.

You say that like it's a bad thing?

I'm with you there! I've been an avid supporter of VBS2 since it's release and nothing will change that.

It is fine to be a supporter, but ProGamer really is taking a stance that is unrealistic to say the least.

Not necessarily my friend. Having owned VBS2 from its release I agree with him because I see the potential for a small community, the capability is there and server hosting is free under a certain license. If they were to do a different PE version with a better price tag, then more people would pick it up, even if it was only for V4.

I've got VBS2 PE, but I can't see it turning into an even small informal community. I mean, can you give me one reason for why I, as a VBS2 and Arma owner, should spend time playing the one that has no ACRE, no mods, no certain future for PE owners, and only a very small community, when I could instead spend that time on Arma, that has all the positive opposites of what I've just mentioned?

Yea frankly, unless you are doing training then the benefits of Arma far outweigh the benefits of VBS2 by a wide wide margin. If you are looking for realism as well, Arma is better.

Even for development I have always prefered working in Arma, and loathed any time I had to go into VBS2, especially prior to 2.0.