Placebo

VBS2/3 Discussion thread - the one and only

I guess this is the closest place to the right place to ask this, so if anybody knows (and it's okay to talk of such things):

How closely related are "Bohemia Interactive Studio" and "Bohemia Interactive Simulations"? Are they owned by the same people/entities? Assuming they are, can anybody give a rough idea of the relative scale of the two businesses?

I'm curious as I can see implications to the development focus of BI studio titles (ie, on areas that VBS is not already superior in) and an understanding of the scale of the businesses gives insight into the extent to which this might be true...:confused:

Cheers :)

From my reply to something else:

As far as employees, from that same interview Maruk mentioned "now about one hundred people on the gaming side, and about the same on the simulation side [bIS also produce military simulator training tech]" in late August 2012, though it seems to be an interviewer error of lumping BI and BISim together since they're both HQ'd in Prague despite seemingly separate personnel right down to having separate CEOs (a seemingly common error in conflating BI and BISim).
Maruk is apparently still a co-owner of BI as well as CEO, but BISim has a different CEO (Peter Morrison) and other executive officials.

DM (a seemingly rather well-informed member) has also made statements re: BI manpower (as opposed to BISim) as well; for example, according to DM the above figure of "about one hundred people on the gaming side" counts devs for all of the games that BI is currently doing, with Arma 3's dev team merely comprising the majority (I've heard as high as 70, though his second linked post says "closer to 60").

Best see BISim as a separate entity. They cooperate on the engine and tools to some degree, but thats about it for the most part.

BISim was also recently sold to another company. Use search if you want to know more about it.

Correct, BISim is a seperate entity with different priorities. There is certainly much cooperation, but this generally limited to things that can easily/readily be shared between the products (ex: sharing models or specific engine changes). BISim devs do not (for the most part), unfortunately, work on BIS projects (not that I'm complaining :p).

What both of them said. :D I imagine that's part of why there's VBS2 devs at BISim who don't have the BI logo avatar like Arma/CCGM/TOH/TOM devs at BI do.

Public mainstream conflation of the two seems to be one of those things that feeds people's "why isn't this in Arma when it's in VBS, isn't it just the civilian version" comments, but as we've seen described here, the Arma/VBS and BI/BISim relationship doesn't work that way... though I suspect that someone at BI likes the ability to use the aforementioned "conflating of Arma with VBS" for Arma promotional hype too much to correct this public mainstream misunderstanding...

From TBOCSims:
PEO STRI has awarded the Games for Training Flagship recompete contract to Calytrix Technologies, Inc. for a hybrid of VBS2 and the newest commercial game engine from Bohemia Interactive Simulations.
The new game will be entitled Virtual Battlespace 3. PEO STRI will conduct the validation and accreditation testing over the next six months and plan to start distribution after January 2014.

Hmm interesting, if it's really a step forward, it could be the one. Let's see what's happening in the next few month.

My admittedly immediate speculation is the idea of "VBS on RV4"...

That would be Awesome. But the way I read it was "A Hybrid of VBS2 and the newest commercial game engine from Bohemia Interactive Simulations". Which would mean to me they are referring to the latest VBS2 2.X build. But anything is possible.

That would make more sense admittedly considering how WIP RV4 is.

Interesting thread... I am curious how is the AI performance in this engine vs the "game" engine.

In simulation mode, does VBS2 lag the overall experience or has it been commercially optimized to keep things running smooth even in heavy AI simulation mode?

If it is better than the current game engines, will we ever see the AI optimizations come over to the game side? :D

Interested in working on VBS2 full-time? TBOC SIMS has job openings for several positions at our facility in Hampton Roads, Virginia. We are looking for people with a strong demonstrated skills (especially with VBS2/ARMA) that can hit the ground running.

3D Artist/Game Modeler 9859

http://camber-modsim.jobs/newport-news-va/3d-artistgame-modeler-9859/37927218/job/

IT Analyst/Technical Development (VBS2 Scripter/Programmer)

https://www4.recruitingcenter.net/Clients/coleengineering/PublicJobs/controller.cfm?jbaction=JobProfile&Job_Id=10096&esid=az

Scenario Developer (To be posted early next week)

http://www.cgi.com/en/careers/working-at-cgi

Looks like we'll all get to stick with Bohemia and VBS2/3 for a while longer

Bohemia Interactive Simulations (BISim), in partnership with Calytrix Technologies, SimCentric and Alelo, has been awarded the US Army's 'Games for Training' (GFT) contract. Primed by Calytrix, the five-year program - based on the new Virtual Battlespace 3 (VBS3) simulation product - delivers the next generation of game-based training technology to the US Army.

BISim has a strong heritage in developing game-based simulation tools, and previously delivered VBS2 for the US Army's Game After Ambush (GAA) contract in 2009. VBS2 has been continuously improved since this delivery, and all of these enhancements, plus exciting new game engine features, are rolled into the brand new VBS3. BISim is committed to delivering modular technology with an emphasis on re-use and open standards, and VBS3 is a further step towards a common virtual environment for use across all aspects of military simulation. VBS3 is backwards compatible to facilitate re-use of VBS2 scenarios and content, and will run on hardware compatible with VBS2. More details on the VBS3 feature-set will be released in the coming months.

http://www.itnewsonline.com/showrwstory.php?storyid=11353

I thought I read that as a partnership or at least just an infusion of cash into BIS so they could develop ARMA3 and VBS3. BISim/BIStudios aren't going anywhere. Especially not after winning the GfT contract.

not sure about that, BISim was "acquired" by riverside group in January i believe

I thought I read that as a partnership or at least just an infusion of cash into BIS so they could develop ARMA3 and VBS3. BISim/BIStudios aren't going anywhere. Especially not after winning the GfT contract.
Bohemia Interactive Simulations (BISim), a simulation technology and integrated training solutions developer with its North American headquarters in Orlando, has been acquired by New York-based private equity firm Riverside Company - See more at: http://www.floridaventuresourcing.com/2013/01/bohemia-interactive-simulations-acquired-by-riverside-company/#sthash.q43KTjGz.dpuf

http://www.floridaventuresourcing.com/2013/01/bohemia-interactive-simulations-acquired-by-riverside-company/

TerraSim® Acquired by Bohemia for Technology and Innovation

Peter Morrison, the CEO of BISim, said, "We were considering acquiring TerraSim even before the Riverside acquisition

... acquired by New York-based private equity firm Riverside Company

All that means is some general investors found the BISim group to be on a winning formula and wanted to help out ;)

Should mean bigger and better things for BISim.