Placebo

VBS2/3 Discussion thread - the one and only

Maven, no. $60 is the time limited TRIAL.

The Personal Edition, which you'd want as a gamer (it does not expire, unlike the trial) is more like $3-400 (unsure of the exact price these days)

MAVEN

Academic version

Now Im wondering if I as an "Academic" user can create content freely for say the Military to use an everything be ok? Or do I need to find a new license bracket?

After I took a look at links posted before, I got many questions answered from the website.

I see that VBS2 has come a long way from what I had a chance to try years ago (VBS1)

And the pricing is more reasonable. I apology for misunderstanding it :)

The Personal Edition, which you'd want as a gamer (it does not expire, unlike the trial) is more like $3-400 (unsure of the exact price these days)

Got it. Thanks for clarifying. Does Personal Edition require a seat license? I was unable to find this version in the store.

MAVEN

Academic version

Now Im wondering if I as an "Academic" user can create content freely for say the Military to use an everything be ok? Or do I need to find a new license bracket?

There's all of that listed on the website, thanks for the links again. Helped a lot.

So basically put, if you are not a commercial user, and you would like to use VBS2 with your buddies, you would need to shell out ~500 USD for VBS2 Academic Version. + the encryption key/dongle per user, and after one year of free updates you would need to pay from ~200 and up USD for annual updates and services.

Each initial VBS2 license purchase includes one year of Product Software Version Upgrades / Bronze Service Level Agreement (SLA) and access to our support team, wiki and forums. Additional years of VBS2 Software Assurance Renewal and support are available for purchase.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about it.

~500 USD, although not a small sum for a gamer, is still very much reasonable for anyone interested in combat simulation "on the cheap" if that's the only price applied that is.

What I would like to know is does this

Only acredited universities can qualify for this discount.
mean that a random user would need to be university entity (military) to be able to purchase the Academic Seat License?

Also does one HASP Pro Key mean that one user is able to use his product, while other would need a separate key, and does that mean that each individual needs a HASP Key (Pro or other) in order to join a hosted and encrypted simulation (Example, 2 people, 2 keys, internet hosted simulation)?

It was $211 with -50% off during 11 years of OFP celebration so $422 is the best (logical) bet

So basically put, if you are not a commercial user, and you would like to use VBS2 with your buddies, you would need to shell out ~500 USD for VBS2 Academic Version. + the encryption key/dongle per user, and after one year of free updates you would need to pay from ~200 and up USD for annual updates and services.

(...)

Also does one HASP Pro Key mean that one user is able to use his product, while other would need a separate key, and does that mean that each individual needs a HASP Key (Pro or other) in order to join a hosted and encrypted simulation (Example, 2 people, 2 keys, internet hosted simulation)?

It would be $500 (or whatever the PE price is, I assume its close to $500 now) per person, the HASP key is (as far as I understand) included in the price of the licence, it the thing you are buying after all. The HASP key allows VBS2 (and the tools etc) to load while its plugged in, so for every copy of VBS2 you want to run you have to have one licence (with a HASP key) for each copy.

Exactly, one licence / key per user. Nothing different than with ARMA2, just with the difference that all content is encrypted and can only be used with a working and plugged in HASP key.

Thanks, makes lots of sense :)

I like the encryption part.

Hi Maven,

With the Personal Edition you are provided free updates for the life of the product. So you are not required to pay any annual update or service charges. So you only pay for the initial product. Support costs come into it for Academic and Commercial customers only.

At present the PE version is not listed on our store as we are in the process of finalizing a few things. For those who want to purchase you need to use the contact form on our site at http://products.bisimulations.com/contact-us

Our offices will be closing down over the Christmas period between 21 December and reopening 2 January. Orders placed during this time will be processed after the 2nd.

Edited by tromac_bis

Thanks for the information, Tromac.

I bookmarked the link.

After I talked with my buddies, it appears we may try purchase our copies somewhere in Q1 or Q2 2013. I hope that PE version is listed on website by then so that I can take a brief look in what's on offer with this version.

Happy Holidays everyone. Cheers :)

VBS2 xaitment Integration Teaser Video

mwmiPhVf8xU

VBS2 xaitment Integration Teaser Video

Looks amazing. The only problem being the $30,000 (each) needed to buy both XaitMap and XaitControl to have access to its interface :|

Edited by froggyluv

Glorious. My VBS2 PE copy has just arrived.

Let's see

(Also some tips that will point me to VBS2 PE MP communities will be greatly appreciated)

Let's see

(Also some tips that will point me to VBS2 PE MP communities will be greatly appreciated)

Please share your experience, cons and pros (either here or PM me). As mentioned before, I'm looking forward to getting a copy too next year so would like to hear first hand about PE edition :)

Happy hunting!

Got my PE today. If anyone's interested in having a bit of coop fun, contact me, I'm currently digging into the OME.

Let's see

Have you registered on the BISim forum? There's some links to small communities on there.

I did almost a week ago, but I guess they are all on holidays because my account still isn't activated.

Also is it possible to import ArmA2 content into the current version of VBS2? Because it has all those pretty advertisement screenies made on Takistan, videos showing Chernarus and all. But I've been moderately successful only with importing AA1 content (and also VBS2 wiki says only AA1 stuff is compatible)

I've also noticed the game installing xaitment dlls - so does that mean it uses said improved pathfinding?

I did almost a week ago, but I guess they are all on holidays because my account still isn't activated.

Also is it possible to import ArmA2 content into the current version of VBS2? Because it has all those pretty advertisement screenies made on Takistan, videos showing Chernarus and all. But I've been moderately successful only with importing AA1 content (and also VBS2 wiki says only AA1 stuff is compatible)

I've also noticed the game installing xaitment dlls - so does that mean it uses said improved pathfinding?

From what I have seen posted on the BISim forum you can't get ArmA2 content into VBS2, despite all the advertising. It seems that they might be adding that stuff in a future update.

As for xaitment, I think its just there but not activated. It is a separate product that requires its own licence.

This is the response I got from Mike Walsh Xaitment CEO

Thanks very much for your interest in xaitment. Both of our products, xaitMap and xaitControl are integrated into VBS2 (v. 1.6 & 2.0). The xaitMap (pathfinding) libraries are included with their standard maps out of the box. xaitControl libraries are also integrated, but you really can't make use of them without our Finite State Machine tool.

Most importantly, you have to be a Fusion customer in order to get access to either of the products. It's a requirement in order to get access to the integration.

In terms of pricing, below are the details:

xaitMap $30,000 USD

- Annual fee

- Includes integration with VBS2

- Support included

- Upgrades, bug fixes, maintenance releases included

xaitControl $30,000 USD

- Annual fee

- Includes integration with VBS2

- Support included

- Upgrades, bug fixes, maintenance releases included

I really don't know what to make of this as it appears to read that the Pathfinding at least is somewhat baked into the standard maps but I haven't found that to be the case. Somewhat dissapointed as that was pretty much the primary reason for getting it but so far I find the AI from Arma 2 superior.

Edited by froggyluv

That's a pity. I hope sooner or later it will indeed be RV3 that VBS2 uses and not RV2.5 (don't need xaitment as much as all the current ArmA2 AI improvements. Well and OA improvements like backpacks and alternative scopes)

Still thus far VBS2 seems leading in many things. Gameplay wise the top ones for me are breathing simulation (gunfighting feels so incredibly smooth and it's kinda fun timing the breath, plus this is a figure of 8 and not random convulsions of ArmA2 soldiers) and PhysX. Vehicles don't feel like logs on wheels anymore. All that inertia and swaying as you ride on uneven terrain feels nice.

But another question. I realize it's a long shot but to me it becomes clear that not all of ArmA1 content is present in VBS2 (at least Afghani maps are missing some objects). What pbos do I need to add from ArmA1 installation to have a full compatibility?

lol Xaitment. Im wondering if they have achieved anything with the driving an flying skills of the AI. for those prices in a commercial settings it doesn't really look that interesting. But what the hell do I know about none government funded organization wanting to advance their training lessons using VBS2??? Im also very tempted to get into that FSM editor an see what the limitations are. Im also considering getting Unity an attempt to create something. But that's another story for another time on a different forum..

Edited by NZXSHADOWS

Interesting news (official press release). Riverside private equity firm acquires majority in Bisim. Former Bisim majority owner Spanel and Morrison to still retain minority share. Some more news in Czech. Could be good news for US tenders, as an US majority owned company.

If this is inappropriate for this thread, please delete.

Edited by fraczek

Could be good news for US tenders, as an US majority owned company.

Maybe, but its just a Private Equity Firm ..... hoping to get in on a good earner ;)

lol @ $30k. What exactly does this Xaitment do? I could think of some things it should be able to do for a $30k annual price tag... :cool:

If this is inappropriate then please delete it. I coudn't help myself, I thought I was having vision problems or a typo at first...

Gnat;2274634']Maybe' date=' but its just a Private Equity Firm ..... hoping to get in on a good earner ;)[/quote']

Don't we all :) ?

I just hope it's not a quick turnaround LBO.

On a side note, the Czech publication that brought the news is using an image of Dragon Rising in the web article about the acquisition...At least the paper version had proper photos :)

Army, Navy seeking out better video game tech (Gamespot)

According to an article in National Defense Magazine, both the Army and Navy are seeking contracts for the creation of updated virtual PC simulation games that will look and play more like Call of Duty than the games already available.
FPDR

"games already available" is referring to VBS2. You should read the comments too, some of them are pretty awesome.