Placebo

VBS2/3 Discussion thread - the one and only

And even worse: No "old" Editor included either, only the 3D one which - for me - sucks pretty much as I'm not able to port the old missions. Must say that I'm a bit disappointed after all the trailers shown recently.

Have you tried starting the mission an jumping into the editor an saving the current state of the mission an going into the OME an making changes. Only way I can think of converting older missions to the OME.

The OME is the same as it's always been. The "old" editor is something else entirely, and I'm not quite sure what reason anyone would have for using that in VBS2 considering how great of a tool the OME is in comparison.

Compatibility? Or porting already started missions over to VBS2? :)

Unless there is a working tool to convert missions created in the "old editor" over to OME.

No doubt there are people here who would give their left hand for something like OME/RTE, but for "old school" guys like me working with OME is a pain in the butt simply because even such simple things like rotating objects or adding/editing waypoints is completely different to the thing I worked with since a decade.

It's the only thing I'm really missing and I don't think it would have hurt much keeping it somewhere. ;)

Well Im sure you could make a mod that will enable the old editor. maybe make a secret invisible button on the main menu that gives access to it. I just know its still there hiding.

On a side note the PhysX are getting fancy. Vehicles are getting some nice simulation advancements. Its a whole different story when you apply brake's an they lock up an you go sliding an twisting as if you was on ice. Its just crazy feeling.

Edited by NZXSHADOWS

Just got a quote from BIA for Vbs2 and it was 564USD . Wanted to know a couple of things before I bought it though. First, do any of the aircraft have clickable cockpits? Second, do the airplanes have a more advanced flight model? Lastly, does the civilian version get all the content listed in the resources section on the VBS2 website?

Just got a quote from BIA for Vbs2 and it was 564USD . Wanted to know a couple of things before I bought it though. First, do any of the aircraft have clickable cockpits? Second, do the airplanes have a more advanced flight model? Lastly, does the civilian version get all the content listed in the resources section on the VBS2 website?

No - Yes (Not so much as advanced but more customized for each aircraft.) - Maybe, From what i've read some of it is missing from contract specific requests (so if the US version requested a specific vehicle with a speicifc set of details it may not be in the PE version) but i think all of whats in the resource section are in there.

Do all the planes and helps at least have cockpits?

Yes they do.

I wonder what are the limitations of the Bisim store.

Looks like it has 60 day free VBS2 trial but something tells me it won't be available to us, mere mortals.

Would be cool to check it out though while I still haven't got my copy of PE....

I wonder what are the limitations of the Bisim store.

Looks like it has 60 day free VBS2 trial but something tells me it won't be available to us, mere mortals.

I don't see any trial versions :confused:

Hm, 60$ for "Trial License Handling and Activation"...

Xeno

I'm not sure of the current trial package contents now that the new 2.0 has been released, but in general terms, the "Trial" version carries the same "dongle protection" as all other versions, so the process is pretty much the same as PE... There'll be the same "waiting for dongle to arrive in the post", activation, etc...

Hence the cover charge...

I'm sure Vandrel or one of the Sales guys will chip in with exact details if I'm hopelessly wrong, but if you think of the Trial Version as PE with an "Evaluation Version" watermark onscreen, and a 60 day time limit, then you won't be far wrong...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

And the next community member snitched away :eek:

You coming soon? Lots of opportunity to start your own bushiness.

FYI:Im kidding,

Xeno

There'll be the same "waiting for dongle to arrive in the post", activation, etc...

Hence the cover charge...

Correct

The price covers our cost for the hardware and shipping. The dongles are not cheap and in most cases we never see them again so we have to charge to at least cover that. The software for eval is free though.

Some of those dongles can cost as much as $100-$200 depending on how many seats they can hold.

So I went through the latest comments, back few pages and it looks like an interesting conversation is going on.

However I can't figure out several things.

I did try VBS ages ago, but VBS2 looks like a lot of improvements over it's previous version.

If anyone is kind enough to answer this, I would like to know next:

1. Is there a lifelong VBS2 license and how much does it cost?

2. What are minimum requirements to use VBS2? (not system specifications, referring to extra hardware)

3. What are necessary procedures to have VBS2 fully functional?

4. What kind of network connection does VBS2 support, and is it encrypted or not?

5. Does VBS2 require a special permission for use? (By government or anyone concerned)

6. I have several buddies I would like to use VBS2 with some day maybe, for serious "play" as we prefer purely tactical simulation and not casual gaming.

7. Are there some missions available for download to go along with VBS2?

8. Is there a demo version which I can DL and try without complex procedures?

Thank you in advance.

Last but not least. VBS was great, that little time I had to try it out was one of a kind experience. There's no doubt VBS2 is a far better release, and although I haven't tried VBS2 yet, I think it's the best combat simulator out there.

1. Is there a lifelong VBS2 license and how much does it cost?

The purchase of a PE license for VBS2 is essentially that. You will get free updates for life, upgrades to newer versions (VBS3, etc) will be on a case by case basis once things progress to that point in time.

2. What are minimum requirements to use VBS2? (not system specifications, referring to extra hardware)

Not sure I follow on this one, as in what kind of hardware? There's no additional requirement to run VBS2 other then a PC that meets the system specs. In most cases if your system can handle ArmA2 then you're ok.

3. What are necessary procedures to have VBS2 fully functional?

Same as any other game, just install it :) The added part is the encryption key which must be plugged into the machine at all times for it to run the software, including the Developer Suite (Tools).

4. What kind of network connection does VBS2 support, and is it encrypted or not?

Same as ArmA2 minus the GameSpy Arcade lobby. Uses direct IP (remote) server connections and can also communicate over LVC with DIS/HLA (military sim network stuff).

5. Does VBS2 require a special permission for use? (By government or anyone concerned)

If you purchase/own a PE license then it's yours to use as you see fit for non-commercial use under the EULA.

6. I have several buddies I would like to use VBS2 with some day maybe, for serious "play" as we prefer purely tactical simulation and not casual gaming.

They can purchase their own copies and link up with you just fine. We have a entire community of PE users that do this from time to time.

7. Are there some missions available for download to go along with VBS2?

Sample and tutorial content comes with the software but it's not really the main focus of it, the idea is you make your own. Some folks post scenarios on the VBS forums for other PE users to download.

8. Is there a demo version which I can DL and try without complex procedures?

Typically our trial copy is only for commerical users who are interested in purchasing a license, however you can email sales ( sales@bisimulations.com ) and request a copy, never hurts to ask.

Last but not least. VBS was great, that little time I had to try it out was one of a kind experience. There's no doubt VBS2 is a far better release, and although I haven't tried VBS2 yet, I think it's the best combat simulator out there.

There's a lot of debate in the sim world over who's the best but really there's no one else out there who can compete with the amount of content and functionality that we offer.

The purchase of a PE license for VBS2 is essentially that. You will get free updates for life, upgrades to newer versions (VBS3, etc) will be on a case by case basis once things progress to that point in time.

Not sure I follow on this one, as in what kind of hardware? There's no additional requirement to run VBS2 other then a PC that meets the system specs. In most cases if your system can handle ArmA2 then you're ok.

Same as any other game, just install it :) The added part is the encryption key which must be plugged into the machine at all times for it to run the software, including the Developer Suite (Tools).

They can purchase their own copies and link up with you just fine. We have a entire community of PE users that do this from time to time.

Thanks for your brief comment, Vandrel. Clarified many things.

I would further like to ask and provide more detail:

1. Is the PE license a one-time fee license or has a monthly/annual pricing (Exception are the updates, which are free as mentioned)?

2. About the extra hardware, I was referring to any extra equipment necessary such as headtrackers, VR goggles, motion sensors, and any other equipment that would enhance the overall simulation experience. Are any of those required and if not, does VBS2 have an SDK/API set for some like ArmA 2 does for TrackIR and Freetracker?

3. The encryption key is the cool part. Can you tell me is the encryption key an usb device, externally attached device or a software, and does it transmit data only from clients machine to clients software (VBS2) or it sends data globally (GPS, Internet, or local) and what is the encryption key's pricing?

4. It's good to hear there's a community for VBS2. If I do purchase VBS2 with my buddies, we would use it primarily for our own scenarios based on our experience and knowledge about combat, however, it's always a good thing to have a starting point from where we can learn basics of the VBS2's new content and later create our own. In fact, we already have several good scenarios, one of my buddies actually created and scripted a whole set of ranges based on real life data complete with boot camps, working in-game computers that can manipulate target ranges completely with custom values and even added a cpu-guided score tracking for several basic ranges complete with their field tables and lanes that work individually, but these scenarios are for ArmA 2. Is there a way to port them to VBS2?

5. I think that I would like to try VBS2. So could you please tell me or point me to where I can find VBS2 pricing lists for licenses, encryption keys and any external hardware, and if possible a link where I can try out a trial (or a demo) if available?

Once again, thanks in advance.

Vandrel, may I ask you about VBS2 NATO? I know it is free but is it possible for a person living in non-NATO country (I mean myself) to get it? I emailed Bisim about a week ago but still got no answer:( It's written in FAQ that a possibility to get it exists "case-by-case". I wonder what it means?

Afternoon Gentlemen!

On behalf of the Redoutable Tess Butler, our Mighty PR Guru, I'd like to draw your attention to the following survey...

ITEC 2015 Survey

We'd very much like to see the 2015 ITEC show to be hosted in Prague ;), so I'd like to ask you all to take a few seconds to vote, using the above link...

Our "recommended" responses are...

1. Czech Republic

2. Prague

3. May

... and for the final question, we are members of the "National Training and Simulation Association (NTSA)"

We'll probably only get one shot a decade at making this happen, so please take the time to vote, and also pass on the link to friends, community, etc...

....our Thanks to you all.....

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Xeno

And? The HASP USB licence key costs money, so does the shipping of the disc and key.

Yeah, the trial is not supposed to be used by the casual gamer but organizations where 60$ are not even peanuts.

Okay I vote, but only if I get a free ticket and invitation. :)

And? The HASP USB licence key costs money, so does the shipping of the disc and key.

Yeah, the trial is not supposed to be used by the casual gamer but organizations where 60$ are not even peanuts.

Dunno where your problem is. Now that I know that it includes a dongle I can understand the 60$. But it is not mentioned anywhere, just "Trial License Handling and Activation".

Xeno

Well of course the demo content must be encrypted as well. And the only way to do this using the HASP key. I thought you know about the encryption since you're not really some "random guy" in the community. ;)

But yes, maybe there should be an explanation for the 60$ somewhere in the offer.

Xeno,

Is 60 bucks all it costs?!

Honestly, that's super cheap. Consider this. Crappy games like COD, BF, and whatever cost 90+ USD, and those are games for mass use. VBS2 is a combat simulator, and not just any, it's used by many military personnel worldwide and has unmatched functionality. The only real comparison is DCS Series.

Even my Victorinox watch costs 5 times more than that, and it just shows time, date and other boring things....

If 60 bucks is all it costs, I'm so gonna try and get a copy. Just need to check with my buddies if they want to tag along.

And btw, where can I find some of your scripts :P

Thanks.