Placebo

VBS2/3 Discussion thread - the one and only

Was disappointed by Xaiment's demo using the little Sims characters just shuffling about - would have really like to have seen the actual vbs soldiers utilising that very cool looking FSM editor. Seems like a wasted opportunity for Xaitment unless more was shown off camera.

Other notables:

@ 3:10: Urban Combat behaviour shown in editor.

@ 16:38: What is up with that turkey shoot enemy AI in Laser Shot :eek:

The guy just seems to be standing in the middle of the street with enemies charging him without firing...

@ 16:38: What is up with that turkey shoot enemy AI in Laser Shot :eek:

The guy just seems to be standing in the middle of the street with enemies charging him without firing...

If you watched in full screen you would see that the enemies fired a few shots, and about half were in cover behind cars.

Looked like fairly standard ArmA AI to me, just condensed into stupidly close range and bolt action rate of fire.

Guess the intention was to make a crisp VBS20 ad but somehow most of the booth guys were not in the right mood for it. :D

no recoil in Laser Shot :( how is it different than Duck Hunt?

That wasn't a first person view, But an open view screen for multiple people to shoot things. The guns they where using had an air recoil effect. But after you mention duck hunt I gave it some thought an the difference is this is 2+ players an duck hunt is one player at a time or is it? lol.....

If you watched in full screen you would see that the enemies fired a few shots, and about half were in cover behind cars.

I saw cars that happened to be in between shooter and AI - not use as cover. The shooter also seemed to just be standing taking pot shots with little fear of being hit and at the end you can see AI actually approaching him but looking in different direction before being gunned down.

I know current Arma AI has its limitations -especially in urban cqb but for a soldier training tool on display I would have liked to see a little more lethality.

I know current Arma AI has its limitations -especially in urban cqb but for a soldier training tool on display I would have liked to see a little more lethality.

Current AI does have its limitations, but those limitations are no where near as severe as the ArmA 1 AI limitations, and that's what VBS2 uses. There's really no way to make them act more intelligently than that, particularly in an urban environment.

The use of cover, by the way, is something that ArmA 1 AI only sort of does: When in a non-safe behavior mode, the AI will try to move in the general direction of registered cover objects, but it never leans around corners or considers the direction of cover like ArmA 2 AI. Also, in both games, cover-seeking behavior is limited to objects that already exist on the terrain; the AI never considers particular mission objects, like empty vehicles, as cover. To make the AI use editor-placed cover, you must script it.

I think you guys are delving in a little too deep to the lasershot demo, no?

Its a trade show, they wanna show off their pretty "we can use real guns to shoot at a game" tech, so its gonna be a bit of a duck hunt, right? The demo doesnt even mention new AI...

I've used the full-spec lasershot system, and I can tell you, its pretty freaking sweet. You've got everything from replica weapons with gas blowback (which it looks like they had here at I/ITSEC, tho by the sounds of it, a little low on gas...) all the way up to live fire.

Current AI does have its limitations, but those limitations are no where near as severe as the ArmA 1 AI limitations, and that's what VBS2 uses. There's really no way to make them act more intelligently than that, particularly in an urban environment.

Ahh, Arma1 AI -that explains alot.

Also, in both games, cover-seeking behavior is limited to objects that already exist on the terrain; the AI never considers particular mission objects, like empty vehicles, as cover. To make the AI use editor-placed cover, you must script it.

I always wondered about this - hopefully can be implemented by default someday.

VB-Edit Prefabs english

VB-Edit Realtime Scenery & Workflow Demonstration english

VB-Edit Examples english

VB-Edit Prefabs english

I'm in love. A whole city in less than 5 minutes

Is VB-Edit included in PE? And is stuff getting put in PE? like the dutch army just joined vbs2 and they requested an island and a few caracters are they getting put in PE aswell or is that for their private use only?.

Thanks,

Lars

And sorry for my english :)

all the way up to live fire.

Isn't that a little detrimental to the condition of the screens?

(Yes I had to ask)

Is VB-Edit included in PE? And is stuff getting put in PE? like the dutch army just joined vbs2 and they requested an island and a few caracters are they getting put in PE aswell or is that for their private use only?.

Thanks,

Lars

And sorry for my english

no, neither are in PE

Edited by PuFu

which one? To both of my questions or?

and how do you get VB-Edit. Do you need to contact Eurosimtec for payment?

Hah, the way that system looks on-screen reminds me of the construction system in The Movies. Very clever

I've used the full-spec lasershot system, and I can tell you, its pretty freaking sweet. You've got everything from replica weapons with gas blowback (which it looks like they had here at I/ITSEC, tho by the sounds of it, a little low on gas...) all the way up to live fire.

ok you will have to elaborate a little... :eek:

i agree that duck hunt would have been way cooler in live fire mode :) but my parents would have disagreed :)

Got a mailing from Peter Morrison, CEO, Bohemia Interactive Simulations. Just recaping stuff mentioned:

They have a new BISIM UK office.

Dutch army bought Enterprise VBS2 edition.

Challenger II tank gunnery enhancements - The UK-funded gunnery enhancements enabled realistic fire control and ballistics simulation in VBS2, and you can expect a video showing some of the new capability in early 2012.

VBS2Fires in the Joint Fires CCD in the UK - As reported in the Financial Times, The Royal School of Artillery at Larkhill successfully employed VBSFires in a landmark Capability Concept Demonstration (CCD), proving that VBS2 and VBS2Fires has great potential in the call-for-fire training domain.

VBSWorlds employed by NATO ACT - VBSWorlds has been employed to update NATO's 'Borders Ahoy' application, designed to improve the effectiveness of personnel during Maritime Interdiction Operations.

VSS Afghan Summer Terrain Pack 1 provides New Afghan terrain areas for VBS2, and many new Afghan-specific 3D models.

VBEdit is a powerful in-game terrain and object editor. <- mus acquire this, even if I spend a fortune :)

Got a mailing from Peter Morrison, CEO, Bohemia Interactive Simulations. Just recaping stuff mentioned:

They have a new BISIM UK office.

Dutch army bought Enterprise VBS2 edition.

Challenger II tank gunnery enhancements - The UK-funded gunnery enhancements enabled realistic fire control and ballistics simulation in VBS2, and you can expect a video showing some of the new capability in early 2012.

VBS2Fires in the Joint Fires CCD in the UK - As reported in the Financial Times, The Royal School of Artillery at Larkhill successfully employed VBSFires in a landmark Capability Concept Demonstration (CCD), proving that VBS2 and VBS2Fires has great potential in the call-for-fire training domain.

VBSWorlds employed by NATO ACT - VBSWorlds has been employed to update NATO's 'Borders Ahoy' application, designed to improve the effectiveness of personnel during Maritime Interdiction Operations.

VSS Afghan Summer Terrain Pack 1 provides New Afghan terrain areas for VBS2, and many new Afghan-specific 3D models.

VBEdit is a powerful in-game terrain and object editor. <- mus acquire this, even if I spend a fortune :)

Also known as: The newsletter.

Ive been playing around with some things every once and a while. Im thinking about doing a terrain map or something. Looking forward to the 2.0 version if it ever comes out.

Edited by NZXSHADOWS