Placebo

VBS2/3 Discussion thread - the one and only

Yeah it will be interesting to see what comes out of that. A lot of companies at IITSEC want a piece of that pie but creating a "jack of all trades" sim is not as easy as all those upper management people think. "We'll just make a replacement for VBS2. It shouldn't be too hard right? You could have that in 6 months right? OH and we want it to run wirelessly, be accessible by any machine on a DOD network and work via cloud computing." I heard that one at least once a year for the last several years, and when they see/hear what it would actually take to do it they look at you like you just told them aliens landed outside :p

So either way it should be neat to see what happens :)

Edited by Ebud

Yeah it will be interesting to see what comes out of that. A lot of companies at IITSEC want a piece of that pie but creating a "jack of all trades" sim is not as easy as all those upper management people think. "We'll just make a replacement for VBS2. It shouldn't be too hard right? You could have that in 6 months right?" I heard that one at least once a year for the last several years, and when they see/hear what it would actually take to do it they look at you like you just told them aliens landed outside :p

So either way it should be neat to see what happens :)

Yea, investing in modernizing VBS2 would probably be the cheapest and most capable system for some time to come. Starting over, and then trying to do all of the things that VBS2 can or could do in-house is insanity.

Seeing the trouble the US Army had with the dev-team for AA3, which isn't even close to a sim, or anywhere near capable of doing the things VBS2 does I do not see them really having a fighting chance here, at least in the short-term (a decade out at least).

NouberNou: me & my friends watched the video of loading armor into the back of C130. As you can see in the video the C130 jumps like it has a weight of a goat. It happens when the APC tries to drive up on the ramp. Do you think the weight is improperly set in the actual model or its a bigger collision/engine problem?

NouberNou: me & my friends watched the video of loading armor into the back of C130. As you can see in the video the C130 jumps like it has a weight of a goat. It happens when the APC tries to drive up on the ramp. Do you think the weight is improperly set in the actual model or its a bigger collision/engine problem?

I am not sure, though I believe in 1.40 the roll-on/roll-off capabilities of transport items is improved some.

I'll let you know, got my 1.40 key this morning and downloading the latest build.

Hey guys is ADF Lite (JCOVE Lite but with Australian people, weapons and vehicles) out yet or not?, if so where can I get it?

I am not sure, though I believe in 1.40 the roll-on/roll-off capabilities of transport items is improved some.

I'll let you know, got my 1.40 key this morning and downloading the latest build.

Roll-on/Roll-off is still pretty lol... thats the best way I can put it. :p

Hey guys is ADF Lite (JCOVE Lite but with Australian people, weapons and vehicles) out yet or not?, if so where can I get it?

That ould be nice. I love Jcove lite, but as I'm planning to move to Australia itd be great to fiddel with teh sussie gear and compare it to the great work modders have done with Arma 2!

Available only for ADF personell from what I know.

¿Has someone seen this presentation? The web-based "games" looks amazing

That does look amazing :eek:

I fnd more interesting another document, linked in the one that Txalin (hola maño!!!!!) posted.

And that's the one that makes a valoration about the VR3 engine capabilities regarding a maritime environment and it's utility as a simulation tool in that environment.

The document is here:

http://distribution.bisimulations.com/docs/VBS2_Maritime_Discussion_Paper.pdf

There is also another link that talks about medical possibilities. Here

http://distribution.bisimulations.com/docs/VBS2_Medical_Discussion_Paper.pdf

Thanks Txalin for posting this. I have found these documents very enlightening

Gracias maño!!!!!!!

Thanks Txalin for posting this. I have found these documents very enlightening

Yes, very interesting to us water-boys ;)

Unfortunately my ArmA2 wish list just got longer :(

Gnat;1837260']Yes' date=' very interesting to us water-boys ;)

Unfortunately my ArmA2 wish list just got longer :([/quote']

Yeah... Everytime I read one of those files or watch any movie about VBS2 1.4+ I have to hold myself to ask "Is that ever gonna be in A2?". So many amazing things in there...

I'm sure a lot will. After all they will benefit from implementing expensive labour applicable to more products.

Or perhaps they will keep it for a new ArmA game. But if they can sell the same technology in another product for a different target it will save costs.

For instance creating a render-to-texture feature might cost 100 work hours. If BIS would only use it for VBS2 it is an expensive technology. But if BIS would also implement it in ArmA 2 you create a certain form of unification.

The business model that BIS uses, experimenting with new technology in either commercial or military and implementing it in the other is a very efficient way of risk spreading.

Hi all

Forget this already mentioned two or three pages back. It was about the XM-25 Grenade Launcher Video.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Who/where/what do I contact in order to purchase VBS2 PE? Also, does PE include Visitor4?

Hi all

The US Secret Service has now officialy anounced it is using VBS2.

US Secret Service taps video game, 3D technology for advanced security training

US Secret Service goes virtual to gain security insights

By Layer 8 on Tue, 01/25/11 - 12:41pm.

When it comes to preparing for all manner of security threats, the more realistic the training can be the better. That's why the US Secret Service said it has developed a software system that uses gaming technology and 3D modeling to offer high-tech training for its personnel.

With funding from Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Science & Technology Directorate, the Secret Service developed the Site Security Planning Tool (SSPT), a training system dubbed "Virtual Tiny Town" to offer service members preparation against chemical, biological or radiological attacks, armed assaults, suicide bombers and other threats, the service stated.

SSPT features include:

3D models and game-based virtual environments

Simulated chemical plume dispersion for making and assessing decisions

A touch interface to foster collaborative, interactive involvement by student teams

A means to devise, configure, and test a security plan that is simple, engaging, and flexible

Third- and first-person viewing perspectives for overhead site evaluation and for a virtual "walk-through" of the site, reflecting how it would be performed in the field.

According to the Secret Service, the system consists of three kiosks, each composed of a 55" Perceptive Pixel touch screen with an attached projector and camera, and a computer running Virtual Battle Space (VBS2) as the base simulation game...

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/70958

As allways follow the link to original article in full

Kind Regards walker

Sorry for creating a new thread earlier.

Any ways this looks great but as said its a lot of money.

I have seen J Cove but its no different to ARMA2 I have been told really.

Sorry for creating a new thread earlier.

Any ways this looks great but as said its a lot of money.

I have seen J Cove but its no different to ARMA2 I have been told really.

VBS is usually overrated by us arma players, you can get many of the same features already in the game, or by mods, and sometimes it has been done better than how it is implemented in VBS.

It is also targeted for a different public - not meant as a game, but as a training simulator and is therefore tailored towards that usage.

Lastly plenty of progress in VBS later appears in arma - which is a nice deal I would say.

In any case, if you wanna get VBS - then it'll take VBS money...

But for play purposes you'll get a lot more bang for buck in arma ;-)

I'd say in most ways JCOVE is less advanced than Arma 2. After all, it's a heavily stripped down version of VBS2 containing only rather low-quality modeled British hardware, and keep in mind that VBS2 runs off of a heavily modified Armed Assault engine, RealVirtuality 2, and Arma 2 runs off RealVirtuality 3. I had no reason to play JCOVE over Arma 2. Same with VBS2 US Army Lite, which you can see a video I made playing it here:

9MBQg-7z-04

And as Sickboy correctly states, VBS2 is often very much over-hyped by people here. People have told me that once you try it you realize that it's definitely not a product intended for the same demographic as those who play Arma 2.

Hi stk2008

What Sickboy said plus VBS2 is based on RV engine II same as ArmA I, plus the modifications of the VTK and a few others, not RV Engine III. Essentially ArmA I plus some mods and patches.

If you want to play a game then play ArmA II which is based on RV engine III.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Virtuality_(game_engine)

If you are involved in military simulation and build simulations then VBS2 is the way to go. As it is the de facto NATO simulator and more or less ubiquitous throughout NATO and the PFP nations, it accounts for a sizable chunk of simulation time in NATO now. Within the concept of military simulations VBS2 is very very very very lots more of those very very cheap and stable. Especially when bought as an enterprise license when it works out to around as low as 7 dollars per seat. This is because it is COTS product like DOS was compared to the big IBM mainframes. This means simulation costs per seat have gone down while their usefullness has risen. Just the same as happened in the move from mainframes to desktop PCs that brought about the PC revolution.

The VBS Lite versions and there are several for different countries have most of the content but miss out on AAR and the 3D editor.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Hi all thanks for the reply`s.

I think I just watched a few videos with a couple of features arma don't have and thought damn.

But ARMA is great I only ever play ARMA and sickboy and the rest of the ACE team you really do help fill the gap between the peeps that want that little more content and features ACE rules.

Thanks for all the info and hope to see some of the features in an ARMA update near me :)