Placebo

VBS2/3 Discussion thread - the one and only

Heres a thought, is there any actual contender for the Mil Sim market versus VBS?
Not really. I can only imagine Steel Beasts, but you can as that to complement VBS2 or vice versa.

I wonder if BIS ever thought of acquiring eSim Games, LLC... :D

Not really. I can only imagine Steel Beasts, but you can as that to complement VBS2 or vice versa.

I wonder if BIS ever thought of acquiring eSim Games, LLC... :D

AFAIK, you can use Steel Beast together with VBS2. I was unable to find the link where i read that though

That is basicly a no then. Would a real competitor for VBS be a good thing or a bad thing for the product itself. Having that bit of healthy competition addded in.

AFAIK, you can use Steel Beast together with VBS2. I was unable to find the link where i read that though
Yes, using HLA you can connect VBS2 to Steel Beasts Pro.

But using an external wrapper plugin isn't such a nice solution are truly integrating both packages.

Hi all

There are couple of Interesting articles in "start" the UK "Army Recruiting and Training Division" Magazine about VBS2 this month.

stART ISSUE5AUTUMN2010

Latest sim a test of battlefield control

By: MAJOR SIMON POTTER

SO2 Joint Fires

Royal School of Artillery, Larkhill

Virtual Battle Simulation 2 (VBS2) is being used to transform Fire Support Team and Joint Fires Cell training at the Royal School of Artillery (RSA). Such is its capability and potential that it has been adopted as the simulation system for the Army for the next five years. It is being used by other armed forces with great success, most notably the United States Marine Corps who used the original version to train for Iraq.

Their results were astounding – the success rate in training scenarios went from 30 per cent with pure real world training, to 100 per cent with VBS2 and real world training combined...

http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/ARTD_Start_Autumn_2010_(Nov_10).pdf

As allways follow the link to the original text in full.

Kind Regards Walker

Edited by walker

I just saw this image in the wiki: VBS terrain pack 3

:eek: If that's a true 3D rendering, this must be hundreds of buildings, incredible ... guess even my 5970 would have problems with that :p Whish there were similar city places in Arma!

I just saw this image in the wiki: VBS terrain pack 3

:eek: If that's a true 3D rendering, this must be hundreds of buildings, incredible ... guess even my 5970 would have problems with that :p Whish there were similar city places in Arma!

its an addon for vbs1.

old days..

Its also available in VBS2. Baghdad, Greenzone. So :j:

Its also available in VBS2. Baghdad, Greenzone. So :j:

Yep. It's not really that great, either, TBH, as far as Arma 2 islands go. VBS2 is quite HSLD in some areas.

I'm in discussion and finalizing my purchase as we speak. Though I will admit, $545 is a bit steep. Though I do remember at one time it was around $300 or so. Wonder why it went up.

Possibly engine changes, a mass introduction of items. Perhaps they were just having a bad year so put the price up?

How many of you guys actually have VBS2? Im just curious to see the number of Serious Gamers that use these forums. Maybe we could start up a Social Group of something.

Couple new vids on the bisimmedia Youtube channel :)

hk1oozqRyG0

Joint Training Counter-IED Operations Integration Center recently demonstrated at I/ITSEC 2010 a very impressive new technology they implemented using VBS script. This Patriot Missile System not only looks authentic, but behaves with proper missle trajectory, honing in on the airborne target. These sort of additions they implemented are strong evidence to how open the VBS platform is and JTCOIC's impressive development team. For more information about JTCOIC, you can visit: https://www.jieddo.dod.mil/train.aspx

Ob_OuPfUgYk

In addition to the Patriot Missle System, Joint Training Counter-IED Operations Integration Center recently demonstrated at I/ITSEC 2010 a new infantry weapon system, the XM-25 grenade launcher. Completely implemented in VBS script, their weapon allows the user to lase the distance to target, fire a grenade precisely to that distance, and then airburst downward to target, just like the real weapon. Not only did they create the complete weapon in VBS, but they then used VBS in case studies to examine whether the XM-25 would positively improve fireteam survivability in the field. Their findings suggested the weapon would improve soldiers ability to survive conflict in various conditions by 33%. This research contributed to the recent decision of the US Army to acquire 15 thousand units and field them immediately. And with JTCOIC's work, the US soldier has a very capable training tool to use when they receive these weapons. This is just another example of VBS's powerful, open platform. For more information about JTCOIC, you can visit: https://www.jieddo.dod.mil/train.aspx

How many of you guys actually have VBS2? Im just curious to see the number of Serious Gamers that use these forums. Maybe we could start up a Social Group of something.

I do. I guess I'm stuck on 1.23, as I'm not sure I'm eligible to upgrade, or that I want to.

I only rarely fire it up, though.

If you're a private customer you can upgrade for free at any time.

However if you still have a YYMEA key you need to exchange it with a GYBBK one in order to patch to the actual version. The exchange is for free, you just need to contact support to start the exchange.

If you don't want to change the key you only can either run 1.23, or sign a support contract to get the patch for that key.

When you already have an GYBBK key, all you need to do is grabbing the downloadlinks from the support forums.

Woah, holy shit, that patriot. We could really use one for mando missile. And I guess its time I learn how to model. Its a real shame we can't port stuff over to Arma 1 or 2.

My copy should be here on the 27th.

I hope this simulator will be easier to buy unlike last time. They told me it would take 3 - 6 months to ship to the US.

My copy arrived today! :yay:

Thank God I have a little experience with VBS2 Lite, else I be totally lost. Still waiting on forum permission and what not.

Thank God I have a little experience with VBS2 Lite, else I be totally lost. Still waiting on forum permission and what not.

That's great new's. Congratulations.

Just out of intrest have any of the VBS2 owners tried running any of the ARMA 1 AI mods? (with the authors permission of course.)

I understand in theory all ARMA mods work, just wandering what the results are in practise

So you actually paid for it? Full price?

So you actually paid for it? Full price?

For the Personal Edition (VTK)? Yes. It's not a $1k plus as some would have you believe.

Wolle, NZX, anybody else... I'm still waiting on my forum membership confirmation. Is BIA on vacation until after the New Year?

Wolle, NZX, anybody else... I'm still waiting on my forum membership confirmation. Is BIA on vacation until after the New Year?

closed till or after Jan 3 as stated in the newsletter.