Placebo

VBS2/3 Discussion thread - the one and only

All discussion about VBS2 goes here now. Please refrain from creating any new threads about this simulation and cluttering the forums even more.

The existing VBS2 threads spread all over the forums will be closed anytime soon.

This thread is for general discussion about VBS2 and its features only.

Questions about how to use VBS2 or asking for support is not tolerated and such posts will be removed without further comment.

For support use the VBS2 forums or the known support email.

Also please refrain from spamming this thread with nonsense posts like "This should be in ArmA2 for free because <whatever reason>".

If and which parts of VBS2 are included in future versions of Armed Assault 2 are completely up to BI and/or the VBS2 users who funded the development.

Edited by Placebo

Does anyone think that VBS is a *tad* overpriced for its features anyway? I know it has a few nice ones now, like Render-to-Texture and the 3d real-time editor with all the stuff like rotating objects. But, is it worth the money, well for us civvies anyway?

Does anyone think that VBS is a *tad* overpriced for its features anyway? I know it has a few nice ones now, like Render-to-Texture and the 3d real-time editor with all the stuff like rotating objects. But, is it worth the money, well for us civvies anyway?

god ben, it is you again :)

Yes, it is pricie due it NOT being aimed for the civilians, and not being considered a game, but a learning tool.

I'd say it is fairly price (especially with no competition). Bear in mind that there is software a lot more expensive out there (adobe ones, autodesk ones etc).\

So the 1500$ price tag is something you also pay for the support you are getting. It is sort of obvious that the new features are added to it before moving to A2 (i still have hopes that r2t will be available in BI commercial games next year).

god ben, it is you again :)

Hi, Yes its me, don't worry, I'm friendly :)

.... mostly :D

Yes, it is pricie due it NOT being aimed for the civilians, and not being considered a game, but a learning tool.

I'd say it is fairly price (especially with no competition). Bear in mind that there is software a lot more expensive out there (adobe ones, autodesk ones etc).\

So the 1500$ price tag is something you also pay for the support you are getting. It is sort of obvious that the new features are added to it before moving to A2 (i still have hopes that r2t will be available in BI commercial games next year).

Yeah, its obvious that the price is because its a military tool, not a game. And its probably got a wealth of what we would consider un-needed and usless features which the military love ontop of that.

Yeah, I'm still yet to see any competition for VBS, I'm sure there are a few other "tools" but nothing really on its scale/level.

Then again, I do not own VBS nor have I seen a full feature list. I've played the "lite" versions like JCOVE but thats it. :(

Overpriced? I wouldn't say so. Name me another military training simulation which is available to the general public and where private customers get free updates several times per year which also include new content for free as well.

And with JCOVE you just scratched the surface of the simulation.

Still for a military simulator, its a bit expensive for the military isn't it? They have to buy a copy for almost every soldier out there!

Yeah, but all of those are just models that don't make anything more realistic gameplay wise.

true, but model making doesn't come cheap. oh, there is no such thing as gameplay for a sim, not in the common sense you and me uses it anyways.

Still for a military simulator, its a bit expensive for the military isn't it? They have to buy a copy for almost every soldier out there!

LOL. Not even close to it. If you think every greenhorn out there has access to it, you are soo wrong

BTW, anyone here actually bought the game? That guy is surely a rich bastard and have steak for breakfast everyday!

;1784143']Shhhhhh. Wolle have it... ;]

It makes all of us drool.....VBS2 is the one game everyone wishes to have......

MODERATORS!!!

Overpriced? I wouldn't say so. Name me another military training simulation which is available to the general public and where private customers get free updates several times per year which also include new content for free as well.

And with JCOVE you just scratched the surface of the simulation.

Ok, Just out of intrest how much does a personal edition of VBS2 cost, for us non-military people?

I have 'played' the civilian VBS2, and it is... just different than ArmA1/2. In terms of being 'overpriced' - it depends on what you want to use it for. As a game - then yes, it is. It isn't really fun, when compared to games.

But, that is not its mission in life. It is a trainer. As such, it isn't suppose to be fun, or at least, only as much fun as training can be.

More than 'fun' I hope it is effective for the troops using it. Fun would be bonus. Helping them to learn the skills and processes necessary to survive (and 'win') is what really counts.

It makes all of us drool.....VBS2 is the one game everyone wishes to have......

MODERATORS!!!

The fact I own a copy has absolutely nothing to do with me being Moderator here.

Hint: Enterprise Licence. ;)

And obviously you have no idea what other simulators for military use cost.

Ok, Just out of intrest how much does a personal edition of VBS2 cost, for us non-military people?

Please contact Sales dept. and request the actual price for the Personal Edition from there.

Really there's more to it then a price. So I don't see why anyone would have a problem about the pricing of VBS2 or any other Mil Sim. The US military will think your product is shit if its to cheap. Here's some reading if your interested.

4IBCT Soldiers sharpen battlefield skills, prepare for combat through virtual simulator

SERIOUS GAMING

War gaming

If your serious about purchasing VBS2 an would like a price quote check the Sales section at BI Simulations. Maybe mention your a "Serious Gamer" or something, An maybe we will see ya on the VBS2 forums...

true, but model making doesn't come cheap. oh, there is no such thing as gameplay for a sim, not in the common sense you and me uses it anyways.

LOL. Not even close to it. If you think every greenhorn out there has access to it, you are soo wrong

Not to mention they'd buy bulk licenses, thus far cheaper then a single license for 1 person.

VBS is basically ArmA OA, heck tbh OA seems to have everything VBS has (especially with mods added in, but even without it covers the majority).

The only stuff VBS has that ArmA doesn't is AAR (After Action Review) and another training tool I can't remember.

I've got VBS1 and have used VBS2 and tbh 2 is just ArmA 1, but with alot more units in it by default, which is where VBS shines (the unit list).

Edited by RicoADF

So wait wolle, how did you get your copy? Also, is there online for you?

Please contact Sales dept. and request the actual price for the Personal Edition from there.

My last info about for VBS Personal Edition (from 07/02/2010):

VBS2 Personal Edition is AUD 819.00 (approx 575 euros) including postage and packing.

The only stuff VBS has that ArmA doesn't is AAR (After Action Review) and another training tool I can't remember.

I believe there are also significant differences with respect to the MP/LAN frameworks. Also, things like the real-time 3d editor, so the trainer can tweak the scenario as it is being played. Also, the tools are more robust, for the most part.

I think most of the things that VBS is used for can be re-created in A2, but with a longer work cycle, and with some workarounds.

Plus, A2 is just more fun. :)

Theres alot of stuff from VBS2 I suspect will find their way into A2 like as the FLIR and such in OA.....

Heh, VBS2 wont be considered expensive by any any of the people its intended to be used by. The UK MOD have an enterprise licence that means they're allowed to have it installed on any of the computers on any computers on military bases. Imagine having a massive LAN with a load of people on an army base..makes you want to join the armed for forces just for that :D

VBS2 is more of an Investment than a upfront purchase, as W0lle previously stated the purchasee will get updates every couple of months adding amazing new features and new content all for free aswell as recieving an extremley well designed Development Suite which makes Terrain/Model Creation a piece of cake.

At the end of the day it depends what you want out of it, as a Game it probaly isnt worth the money but, as a trainer and a long term investment it is worth every penny.

Having now used it for 45 min in a military environment the benfit of it is extremley noticable and helpful.

Yes, there are a few issues with the AI and sometimes the immersion but because of the nature of the simulator and its ability to customize pretty much anything with a little bit of basic knowledge, you can literally do anything with it.

Did anyone else notice from playing JCOVE that Arma tanks accelerate and decelerate way too fast? I love the tank handling in JCOVE because it feels like there is more weight behind the vehicles. I realize that some big features trickle down from VBS2 into arma, but couldn't they take some of the small details like this and update the arma series for a bit more realism?

Heres a thought, is there any actual contender for the Mil Sim market versus VBS?