Sign in to follow this  
john chaser

Terrain Builder replaces textures

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to this forum, so please be kind ;)

I'm currently working on a new map and am stuck with a problem I can't solve by myself. The map contains a wide range of "bioms" (desert, great plains etc.), which is why I need a various amount of textures to keep everything close to reality.

- Everything is set up properly

- .rvmat's look all the same

- layers.cfg got all textures (so far) configured and RGB's defined

Everything worked at that point, but some of my custom textures weren't seamless, which is why I had to replace 4 textures. When I replaced the [...]_co.paa's and the [...]_nopx.paa's, I changed neither the names (still the same) nor colors or .rvmat's.

Now the strange thing I can't solve: Since I replaced 4 textures and created a new project in terrain builder, terrain builder keeps reducing my amount of textures to 4 or 5, which is really annoying. Seabed is all over the desert i.e..

- I deleted all "terrain builder created" files

- all parameters are the same as before

- my RGB-codes worked before

- rebuild everything plenty of times from scratch, still the same problem

I can't move forward at that point and would appreciate any help. If you need layers.cfg or sth alike, just write it and I will try my best to support you with all the information you need.

Regards

Umbarion

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to this forum, so please be kind ;)

I'm currently working on a new map and am stuck with a problem I can't solve by myself. The map contains a wide range of "bioms" (desert, great plains etc.), which is why I need a various amount of textures to keep everything close to reality.

- Everything is set up properly

- .rvmat's look all the same

- layers.cfg got all textures (so far) configured and RGB's defined

Everything worked at that point, but some of my custom textures weren't seamless, which is why I had to replace 4 textures. When I replaced the [...]_co.paa's and the [...]_nopx.paa's, I changed neither the names (still the same) nor colors or .rvmat's.

Now the strange thing I can't solve: Since I replaced 4 textures and created a new project in terrain builder, terrain builder keeps reducing my amount of textures to 4 or 5, which is really annoying. Seabed is all over the desert i.e..

- I deleted all "terrain builder created" files

- all parameters are the same as before

- my RGB-codes worked before

- rebuild everything plenty of times from scratch, still the same problem

I can't move forward at that point and would appreciate any help. If you need layers.cfg or sth alike, just write it and I will try my best to support you with all the information you need.

Regards

Umbarion

You can only have 5 surfaces within your tile size range, so if you have 512 tile size you can only have 5 surfaces within 512 meters + your overlap.

It basically uses another surface instead of what you wanted, I had the same problem trying to add tarmac on my airport, because it was by the sea it has seabed, sand, concrete runways, soil and grass, the tarmac was too much.

Could that be why ?

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick answer, that could be it!

What do you recommend, if my heightmap is 2048*2048 with a 10m cluster so far and about 12 textures all in all? 256*256px tiles? Or even 128*128px?

You can only have 5 surfaces within your tile size range, so if you have 512 tile size you can only have 5 surfaces within 512 meters + your overlap.

It basically uses another surface instead of what you wanted, I had the same problem trying to add tarmac on my airport, because it was by the sea it has seabed, sand, concrete runways, soil and grass, the tarmac was too much.

Could that be why ?

Well thank you very much! You can't imagine (well maybe you can), how much time I've spent trying to solve this problem. I love this communty, have a nice day! ;)

Try and see if you can work round it, you can change the tile size to 256 but if that affects the 'Texture Layer' don't, My texture layer is 40 and if i use 256 i'd be forced to use 20, that will have an affect on performance.

What i did was push my seabed out a few hundred meters, far enough away so i could use my tarmac, get creative and hopefully you can find a workaround.