Sign in to follow this  
bonchie

MAFIA 3

Kind of old news, but it was announced and debuted last week. Surprised there's no thread. 

Initial impressions aren't good. Story issues aside (70's, you are fighting the mob and not part of it, huh?), things don't look good if you are a fan of the original.

Took a peak at 2Ks forum. They aren't happy over there. The youtube debut has more dislikes then likes.

To make things worse, apparently the lead developer is a guy who never played the original Mafia games, had never even heard of them, and is now taking it in a different direction to correct the "flaws" of the original.

It's going to be open-ended, open-world vs. a tight, focused story like Mafia was. There's one button superman melee attacks, regenerating health, no speed limits anymore, touch a car and it explodes and flies in the air, player isn't damaged from jumping from cars, no real recoil, simplified shooting, etc.

Chalk this one up as another great franchise destroyed by stupid decisions and adaptation to the console market. It may be fun, but this isn't going to be what Mafia is supposed to be.

Well even the second wasn´t as good as the first one, in my opinion. The first one had much more charme, better story and more memorable characters. I think I can´t name 5 characters from mafia 2 from the top of my head, but I bet I can name 10 from Mafia 1, at least.

Mafia 3 looks like they are ditching everything that made Mafia exceptional and are going for a GTA style gameplay instead. Everything they have shown so far looks absolutelly unfitting for a Mafia game.

Well surely it goes a different way than a typical Italian macho mob - mafia 1 is still the best , mafia 2 was fine (even with that cut content)

but this doesn't mean that the game will be bad tho , it just will be something different than we used to and i agree MAFIA name is for marketing (same as new R6 or Ghost Recon)

gameplay is a weird mix of GTA V , Driver 4 and Mafia 2 - yea cars do explode way too easily , i hope it will be able to choose driving settings like in Mafia 2 /simulation ftw/

also noticed that you can actually shoot while driving which in Mafia 2 you couldn't - at least that heh

I bet 2K will do a DLC with the old Vito

btw that soundtrack will be the best heh - even mafia 2 had a really great soundtrack

To make things worse, apparently the lead developer is a guy who never played the original Mafia games, had never even heard of them, and is now taking it in a different direction to correct the "flaws" of the original.

Source?

btw that soundtrack will be the best heh - even mafia 2 had a really great soundtrack

Soundtrack will be the best since it's the '60.

I hate when people diss Mafia 2. It's been a while, but AFAIR Mafia 2 was way more realistic when it came to character's story, behaviour and development than any portion of Mafia 1. Mafia 1 was a good game, but a really clunky one, too. Mafia 2 was... well, a lot less clunky, it also had hands down 2 best characters ever in the gangster game: Vito and Joe and a twist like no other gangster story had - Caution: MASSIVE SPOILER AHEAD

main character going to prison.

These things, plus great design made Mafia 2 a great game, even with all the cut-out content, weak DLC and the ending that left many in awe (it was a very good ending in my opinion, the game just needed more extra quests and the freeride option earlier). A game that gave me a lot more fun than Mafia 1.

2K has a record of bad decisions, but I'm pretty sure there HAS to be some QA and testers who won't let this kind of Mafia-1-clunkyness show up in Mafia 3. You know, the one we see in the gameplay portions seen in some IGN footage and stuff. Because yes, the gameplay looks kinda dull, but still, dissing the Mafia 3 just because it isn't the Mafia 1 or just because You're not playing as Italian (AFAIR there was supposed to be 2 main protagonists? 1 being Italian?) doesn't make this game bad or any kind less of a Mafia game, just like it went down with Max Payne 3, which was almost as good and definetly as dark as the first one.

So far, I think the story has a potential to be great and I find the trailer promoting the game to be really good. So I'm kinda chill about the game's story...

...it's the gameplay and execution I'm worried about. I don't want this game to end up like The Cartel (good story that died under the chunks of poor design decisions).

Let's hope for the best.

Here's some gameplay. I personally would mute the video.

I should have known. I was way too excited for this, it was too good to be true. All of my dreams were crushed within the opening seconds.

Another thing I really liked about Mafia as a series (both 1 and 2) was the fairly realistic driving wich really set it appart from GTA (well GTA 4 had bloody good driving). It seems as if Mafia 3 has nothing of that.....

Another thing I really liked about Mafia as a series (both 1 and 2) was the fairly realistic driving wich really set it appart from GTA (well GTA 4 had bloody good driving). It seems as if Mafia 3 has nothing of that.....

Well there might be a simulation setting like in Mafia 2 , since in trailers they always used that arcade setting

i like Mafia 1 & 2 and hopefully 3 will be the same story mod i loved

the good old times

Loved the music and the atmosphere in Mafia 2, driving those old cars in a snowy town was really something.