How well does AI deal with shooting at different elevations (shooing up at targets above them, or below)???  know this use to be a big issue, AI was awful at it.   But great looing map!

Nice work!It's looking great :D I really want to design a map myself.Do you know a good tutorial to start with?there are so many,it's a bit overwhelming.i don't even know all the tools/software I need ...

Thanks for the kind words. It is difficult to point to one tutorial as being a good place to start. This terrain is my first, and I had no idea how to do it until I started doing it. I primarily followed the contents of The Atlas by Jakerod, everything on terrain building at PMC Editiing Wiki, and all of CAPTNCAPS video tutorials. Any other tutorials you find will most likely contain what one of those three have. The best thing you can do is just dive in and get your hands dirty with it.

• Like 1

How well does AI deal with shooting at different elevations (shooing up at targets above them, or below)???  know this use to be a big issue, AI was awful at it.   But great looing map!

From what I have seen the AI will engage whatever they see. Whether I am above or below them it doesn't seem to detract from their ability engage me when I present myself as a visible target within their active range. let me know if you see otherwise.

Just loaded it up and flew around a bit. Really excited about the map, it looks pretty badass. Keep it up!

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words. It is difficult to point to one tutorial as being a good place to start. This terrain is my first, and I had no idea how to do it until I started doing it. I primarily followed the contents of The Atlas by Jakerod, everything on terrain building at PMC Editiing Wiki, and all of CAPTNCAPS video tutorials. Any other tutorials you find will most likely contain what one of those three have. The best thing you can do is just dive in and get your hands dirty with it.

Great!Thanks-I'll give it a go!

v0.14 Alpha has been released. The terrain is continuing to grow and get more detailed. You should notice a couple more trails and new locations. As well as, many more buildings added to the first city which is pretty much complete. I began working on the airport, but was not able to finish it. You will notice an area on the map that is the location of this future airport. Thanks for supporting and I hope you guys enjoy the update.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4ZXC3a9bH9oZVpPanZ2OGJJMUE/view?usp=sharing

The next update for this terrain should be out within the next few weeks. My second computer is currently calculating a new high res texture/sat image and should be done tomorrow or the next day. I will then have some edits to do to that image which could take some time. I also plan to include a completed second village and military base. If things go really well, I should be able to include a finished airport in the update. At the very least you can expect an update that includes at least a higher resolution texture/sat image in the next week or two. Thanks for the continued support.

I am working to get the next update out, but my plate is pretty full with other, higher priority responsibilities. It doesn't help that a prior partial hardware failure on my pc has contributed to some significant problems with continuing the project. I am working on resolving this and if need be, I am just going to re-do the terrain. If it comes down to this the terrain won't change and you can expect the next update to appear as progress of what you have already. Apologies, but please be bear with me until I get the issues resolved.

-To those who wish to offer help on my problem,

I had a hard drive failure. When I recovered the partition that had my terrain project on it everything seemed fine. I am was and am still able to open the project in Terrain Builder and seemingly continue development without any problems. There are no issues with Buldozer either. However,after I export the terrain to .wrp and load it up with arma, the issue is observable. There are no roads visible. In addition, when the player brings up the map, all objects placed in the terrain are not visible. The green overlay for forests, rocks, roads(to be expected), and building shapes are all not visible.

An important thing to note is that when I recovered from my hard drive failure, my partition containing the terrain project had a change occur with it's drive letter. It went from D to E. For a week or two I continued with the change and had tor resolved several problems with things looking for a D path.  Since then I have reverted the drive letter back to D(what it was before crash) as well as other changes I made to compensate for the changed drive letter (E). The problem still persists. If you have an idea what could be the problem, I would really appreciate your input. 

Wish I knew what the cause was. Maybe a missing texture file that didn't come over?

Anyway keep up the good work! I love the varying heights!

• Like 1

Wish I knew what the cause was. Maybe a missing texture file that didn't come over?

Anyway keep up the good work! I love the varying heights!

Ha yea you and me both. It could be something like that but I am not certain yet. I appreciate the support though like I said there will be another update even if i have to restart.

Been working, when i can, on the next iteration of Alaska. I'm taking a much more methodical approach so development will take a little longer than the first version. In the end though a better terrain will be made. Below are some image of my WIP.

New 20 x 20 Terrain (Sat Image(WIP)) 

5efIm9M.jpg

Original image of Healy from Google Maps

KKeERZQ.jpg

Close up of Healy on Alaska 2035 so far

0jmPnuj.jpg

Higher overview of Healy and it;s surrounding area.

r0c8M03.jpg

• Like 3

Problem for me, no trees or buildings
I run with cba + cup terrain complete

I have been sitting on this version for a while and I decided to release it as is to get feedback on the base terrain. As of right now, there are really no trees or anything. Since this latest release, I have finished roads and added much more trees. I will be releasing that version by the end of the week. Expect frequent updates, I am tired of just sitting on this terrain so I will be working to finish it up by the end of the year.

• Like 4

what's the soundtrack in your video?

Looks like an awesome map as well.

Thanks, the song came from the you tube music library. Long Note One by Kevin MacLeod

• Like 1

Perhaps a bit too late to help you, but since I live in Alaska I thought I would share some information you might find useful.

1.  Mountains and valleys near the coast have relatively smooth (but steep) slopes because of glaciation.  Valleys are “U†shaped because of this.  Above 4000’ they normally start to become rocky and more typical what one envisions as mountains.
  2. Treeline is between 2000’ and 3000’ dependent on a lot of factors – slope, soil type, amount of rainfall (west & north side of Chugach and Kenai mountains are much drier than their east and south sides due to rain shadow effect, so treeline is lower).
  3. Forests at low elevation are a combination of deciduous (birch & aspen) and conifer (pine & spruce).  Forests have thick undergrowth (not a good idea for ARMA map).  Upper edge of treeline consists of alder, which is a large impenetrable bush).  Trees are stunted at high elevations – look normal just smaller.
  4. Near coast line, if terrain is flat it is likely to be marsh.
  5. Lower elevation tundra (in mountain valleys) often consists of tussock and or moss/heather covered rocks (small boulders) which make it impassible for wheeled vehicles (and difficult for tracked).
  6. Alpine tundra is rocky with low vegetation.  Most on ridges and high elevation plateaus.  Good trafficability if a vehicle can get there (unlikely).
  7. Rivers are wide but mostly rock unless in flood.  Overwise, the channels are narrow, fast and deep and should not be passible by swimming/walking in game, except at fords.  Dangerous even then.
  8. Mountain valleys often contain glacial moraine, and the heads of the valley often have rock glaciers.  Think piles of boulders.

If it is still possible I would suggest eroding your mountains.  The “steps†in the elevation are not typical in Alaska mountains.  Your mountains remind me of the Unita Mountains in Utah in this regard.

Here is a link to a couple hundred of my own photos to illustrate these points. 

https://goo.gl/photos/zJQaPStLNnPix1RX9

Apart from being a computer wargamer, flight sim and Arma fanatic, I also hike and am a landscape photographer, so hopefully these will be useful.  Happy to answer any specific questions.  I appreciate your diligence and hard work on creating this map.  I did a couple for the original Arma 10 years ago, so I understand what it takes.

I appreciate the info. Your images are great and will be put to good use. There still are things that I have to do with the terrain so its not to late ;) .  Again, thanks for the info and support.

v0.7 is out ! 

-Updated Satellite image

-Removed tree outlines outside of townson sat image (Trying out new method).

-Filled in trees around airport

-Adjusted terrain in Beaver, Seldovia, and New Stuyahok

• Like 1