Sign in to follow this  
colosseum

How to make AI units board a C-130, fly to an airport, and get out?

On the surface, this seems like it would be simple.  But as is all too often the case with Arma, of course it isn't!

I'd like a squad of AAF soldiers to board a C-130 (the only transport aircraft available, thanks to the RHS mods...) at an airport, fly to a destination, land the C-130, and disembark.  This seems like it would be very, very easy to accomplish.  But it isn't!  After hours of googling and fooling around in the editor, I've decided to cut my losses and ask the good gentlemen of this forum if they have any suggestions.  I'm using Sahrani (the great terrain from ArmA1).

Here's how I have it setup currently:

1. The squad is sitting on the tarmac of the Rahmadi airport in the southwest.  The C-130 is a BLUFOR unit synced to a "probability of presence: 0" AAF unit with the rank of Colonel (making the BLUFOR C-130 into an Independent unit). 

2. The squad receives a GET IN waypoint on the C-130 (LOAD does not work as the C-130 isn't part of the squad, and making the C-130 part of the squad meant it spawned in the hills behind the airport, exploding in the process (I love Arma).)

3. The squad receives a MOVE waypoint to a destination several kilometers southeast of the Antigua island (way northeast in Sahrani).

4. The squad receives a GET OUT waypoint on the Antigua airfield.

What am I doing wrong?  Half the time, the squad boards the plane, and as it tries to take off, it just crashes into trees as it seems to try to taxi all the way to its MOVE waypoint.  It doesn't attempt to taxi to the end of the runway and take off as normal.  Sometimes the troops just stand there and don't even board the aircraft.

I love and hate this game.

Couple of quick things.

-The reason it spawns behind the hill is because it is set to "in Formation". Set to None and it will spawn wherever you place it.

-Not sure if you did this but the c-130 needs it own set of waypoints.

I followed what you did but added waypoints for the plane as well. Over the island I had elevation set to 1000 and it crashed 2x. I had to change the waypoint to a diff area with lower elevation.

- so plane had 3 waypoints.

1) -load on airfield

2)-  move at 1000m over the right of the island (lower elevation)

3) - transport unload at antigua airfield

-aaf team had 3 waypoints too

1) get in on Airfield     SYNCED TO LOAD WAYPOINT FROM AIRPLANE

2) move waypoint same location/elevation as airplane move waypoint

3) get out at antigua airfield SYNCED TO TRANSPORT UNLOAD WAYPOINT FROM PLANE

works fine after that ;)

side note- u likely dont need the aaf teams 2nd waypoint but i like to do it anyways...

• Like 1

Excellent - will try it immediately!

Thanks so much.  It didn't occur to me to sync the waypoints.  Much appreciated.

Hmm... I'm still unable to make it work.  I have the C-130 sitting on the tarmac, manned by BLUFOR pilots, synced to a probability of presence 0 Independent unit with rank of Colonel. 

He then receives a LOAD waypoint directly in front of him on the airfield.  This is synced to the AAF squad's GET IN waypoint (with the sync direction being AAF -> C130). 

The C130 then gets a MOVE waypoint somewhere out over the water south of North Sahrani (with "c130 flyInHeight 1000;" in the onAct box - the C130 is named "c130"). 

The C130 gets a TRANSPORT UNLOAD waypoint at Antigua airfield.  The AAF squad receives a GET OUT waypoint at Antigua (synced to the TRANSPORT UNLOAD).

Am I doing this wrong?  The AAF squad boards the plane, but it just taxies across Rahmadi until it sinks into the ocean.

I'm at work... but I'll post the mission for you later and you can download it...

I'll test it again first tho ... lol

Edit... I didn't use flyinheight. I just used a standard move waypoint and set elevation in waypoint box. Remember that on act means it won't trigger until he is at waypoint which could be problem

Getting planes to take off (especally Modded ones) are less reliable with taking off when they are not facing the right side of the runway. The AI like to take off and land in a very specific direction, see if you can make it work with a fixed wing unit like the To-199, that is already set on the runway.

Getting planes to take off (especally Modded ones) are less reliable with taking off when they are not facing the right side of the runway. The AI like to take off and land in a very specific direction, see if you can make it work with a fixed wing unit like the To-199, that is already set on the runway.

Yup... I had the on the left side of airfield facing east

I still can't get it to work.  It's really maddening!

My mission.sqm: http://pastebin.com/7cKZ2fpQ

Lol... I hear that ;). I'll have a look when I get home if someone doesn't beat me to it

Still having trouble with it - I'm also using the AiA Sahrani and not the SMD Sahrani.  I wonder if the airports are correctly coded in AiA Sahrani?

Still having trouble with it - I'm also using the AiA Sahrani and not the SMD Sahrani.  I wonder if the airports are correctly coded in AiA Sahrani?

Try it on SMD Sahrani if you can. I'm curious if that is the issue.

edit - i just tried United Sahrani and Arma 3 crashed 2x in a row while the plane was trying to turn on its engines... seems like a glitch on my end... 

the smd version works on both the lower airfields...