Sign in to follow this  
c0rvin

[Solved] Squad.xml Custom Elements.

Hello A3 Scripting community,

for a couple of days I have been working on a Squad.xml for my Mil-sim community.

I encountered a problem with the Squad.xml not loading after i changed some of the elements.

So my question is, how exactly would I change elements of the Squad.xml to something more fitting for a mil-sim community?

Would I have to replace the elements that i don't need (ICQ, Email) with the new ones I want to implement (Rank and position)?

And would I also have to change something in the Squad.dtd and squad.xsl?

Basically this

##This is how i would've wanted it in the Squad xml for a member.

<member id="111111111111111" nick="Ogefr.Zimmer 2.Jgr">
		<rank>Obergefreiter</rank>
		<name>Klaus Zimmer</name>
		<pos>2. Gruppe</pos>
		<remark>German Soldier</remark>
	</member>

I could not find anything on the forums regarding this problem. Perhaps it isn't even possible.

But I was told it is, but the thread didn't give an explanation on how to do it.

An explanation or help regarding my problem would be much appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

I've never used the squad.xml, but I here's (almost) all you want to know:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/squad.xml

There it says: "Do not use any characters beside A-Z, a-z, 0-9 and space in the nick-attribute [of the squad] inside the squad-element of your squad.xml." - So, double check if your squad name might break that rule.

Also, "The value in the nick-attribute of the member-element must represent the exact name of your players profile name." - So double check that, too.

As there seemingly is no support for custom tag names, your <rank> and <pos> tag will probably not work.

Finally, according to the BIKI, this is what a squad.xml may look like:

<squad nick="ESN">
    <!-- You can leave any field blank, but it's recommended to fill it with a "N/A" instead -->
    <name>Example Squad Name</name>
    <email>email@example.com</email>
    <web>www.example.com</web>
    <picture>logo.paa</picture>    <!-- always has to have the name "logo" -->
    <title>Use this e.g. for your squads name or your squads URL</title>
    <member id="123456" nick="=[ESN]=John">
        <!-- You can leave any field blank, but it's recommended to fill it with a "N/A" instead -->
        <name>John Doe</name>
        <email>john.doe@example.com</email>
        <icq>N/A</icq>
        <remark>Mostly harmless</remark>
    </member>
    <!-- Additional members may be added -->
</squad>

Yeah, I know what the WIKI says about the Squad.xml and how it is supposed to look like.

But multiple forums threads I visited on the creation off squad.XMLs told me that it is possible to just replace some elements.

I don't want them working as a Tag, but more like information displayed on the player when clicked on, in the list.

http://hx3.de/attachments/technische-fragen-probleme-186/squad-xml-arma3-4217d1362527168-arma3_profile4.jpg#

So you're saying it's not possible to do that?:

Instead of E-mail and IM: Rank and Position. The Info isn't supposed to show up in the tag or anything.

My exact name without the squad.xml stuff. Is Ogefr.Zimmer. So that is correct

I'm really not so sure about anything right now.

Related to the post above.

"No, you can't change the ICQ and Email fields in-game, but you can change how they show up on the webpage."

So I guess that means it cannot be changed. A bit confusing if you ask me.

A bit confusing, I agree. But that's because XML in combination with DTD is a rather "computer scientific" thing and probably hard to understand for people not familiar with the matter.

1.44 introduced stricter parsing of the XML to "avoid abuse". This meant I had to remove any custom node names not defined in the official schema. This is the problem you are facing.

Why not add your rank and position to the member remark field? That's what I do, eg "Cpl in 1 Section".

You seem to be doing this already wrt community position. Perhaps you can include the milsim rank/position in there too. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

• Like 1

Why not add your rank and position to the member remark field? That's what I do, eg "Cpl in 1 Section".

Great Idea, Cyprus. Why haven't I thought of this before? Thank you so much

• Like 1