DnA

Release Candidate Branch Discussion

Its not fault of BI DEVS! Te done great job, off course there is allways complains (literally ALLWAYS) but people, use your brain and SATURATION, BRIGHTNESS, CONTRAST options, and set HDR to standard. And off course wait for CUP terrains AS YOU REPORT HERE CUP Terrains lighting bug, CUP devs stated they wait for stable branch to fix it, so be patient, and stop writing such stupid complaints. All custom maps will be updated after stable branch i believe.

It is not a CUP issue..it is engine side. Because Shadowdrawing like this is hardcoded in the engine.

This has nothing to do with gamma and brightness and so on...

And last but not least. i don´t need a little boy to tell me to use my brain... watch your language buddy..it´s a discussion and bugtracker thread...not a thread to argue about someone´s opinion.

Cheers 

Chaser

It is not a CUP issue..it is engine side. Because Shadowdrawing like this is hardcoded in the engine.

This has nothing to do with gamma and brightness and so on...

And last but not least. i don´t need a little boy to tell me to use my brain... watch your language buddy..it´s a discussion and bugtracker thread...not a thread to argue about someone´s opinion.

Cheers 

Chaser

the lighting and shadows looks terrible on ported map but its great on altis/stratis...some of u guys need to calibrate your monitor

Huh?

Edit:

What shadows EXACLY look so awful?

Clipping trough the walls and fences needs fixing and stop AI from glitching trough the same and then shoot us. It is a game killed Please.

• Like 2

Huh?

Edit:

What shadows EXACLY look so awful?

The material properties are not properly set up for the new lighting engine, the mid terrain texture properties do not contain the same lighting properties as the close terrain texture (hence the transition).

This is not due to BI, it is due to the fact that these textures are (fairly poor) ports of textures made for Arma 2.

Not that hard to fix though, I expect either CUP or the guy who made the CUP -> Dev lighting mod will patch it up to shape.

• Like 1

Clipping trough the walls and fences needs fixing and stop AI from glitching trough the same and then shoot us. It is a game killed Please.

Yes, agree, its very odd issue. It would require some changes to pathfinding and entry points in vehicles. But its very worth it, cant play with enemy walking through gates, building walls, fences.

I was one time on the mission where we as team, was re-capturing BTR apc standing in some hangar. We captured it, but then counterattack started, we were hidden in the magazine, enemy saw us there somehow*, and instead of opening magazine doors, they simply walked through it killing us all. since this time i dount touch mission that arent "in the open" as CQB is terrible.

* Another bug, when AI see you through buildings, inside buildings, allways.

The lack of moon and/or nighttime ambient light affects the Crossing Paths mission of East Wind campaign, as mentioned here:

Have to agree here-I am really missing the moons ambient light also. It makes night missions without NVG impossible.

• Like 1

I am having an issue where units are uncontrollably diving to the ground. I can replicate the issue if I hold the W+A keys and turn my mouse right and then let go of the keys (same for W+D and looking left). Units also seem to trip over nothing as they run across the terrain and again dive to the ground. This is an issue for both AI and player controlled units.

The material properties are not properly set up for the new lighting engine, the mid terrain texture properties do not contain the same lighting properties as the close terrain texture (hence the transition).

This is not due to BI, it is due to the fact that these textures are (fairly poor) ports of textures made for Arma 2.

Not that hard to fix though, I expect either CUP or the guy who made the CUP -> Dev lighting mod will patch it up to shape.

Yeah, but today i noticed this on Altis. So i guess its vanilla bug. You will note this driving uphill.

Also if AI have binoculars, they run on enemy with them in hands, instead with rifle, and while standing they "dancing" (by moving step by step forward).

Have to agree here-I am really missing the moons ambient light also. It makes night missions without NVG impossible.

all light brightness seems to be broken in 1.58 arma, hope it is fixed for 1.60.

examples:

throw a chemlight

put down a campfire

create a fire object

all have almost 0 light brightness.

• Like 1

all light brightness seems to be broken in 1.58 arma, hope it is fixed for 1.60.

examples:

throw a chemlight

put down a campfire

create a fire object

all have almost 0 light brightness.

Well it is still quite like that on Dev-so we will see..

I am having an issue where units are uncontrollably diving to the ground. I can replicate the issue if I hold the W+A keys and turn my mouse right and then let go of the keys (same for W+D and looking left). Units also seem to trip over nothing as they run across the terrain and again dive to the ground. This is an issue for both AI and player controlled units.

Hello,

thanks for the feedback. Are you running any mods? If so, does it happen in vanilla also? Does it happen only on certain locations/maps or everywhere?

Any piece of info you are able to recollect and might seem relevant will help. I had unfortunately no luck in reproducing the issue so far.

• Like 1

for above anims issues

vanilla

everywhere - some maybe with higher frequency inside buildings or when exiting/entering/colliding with door/walls

Hello,

thanks for the feedback. Are you running any mods? If so, does it happen in vanilla also? Does it happen only on certain locations/maps or everywhere?

Any piece of info you are able to recollect and might seem relevant will help. I had unfortunately no luck in reproducing the issue so far.

No mods. I've had it happen too if i was un-armed or holstered. You can run forward, move your mouse to the right or left, and then stop running. Your character should dive prone. Sometimes it's random, but i have had it happen to me.

No mods. I've had it happen too if i was un-armed or holstered. You can run forward, move your mouse to the right or left, and then stop running. Your character should dive prone. Sometimes it's random, but i have had it happen to me.

Oooooh, so its a problem with the forced prone ... when I saw "diving to the ground" I expected something like character sinking into the map and so on.

I believe the same issue was already reported before so it also should be fixed soon.

Edited by razazel

Oooooh, so its a problem with the forced prone ... when I saw "diving to the ground" I expected something like character sinking into the map and so on.

I believe the same issue was already reported before so it also should be fixed soon.

Apparently already in the public dev build: (link)

• Fixed: Characters were forced to go prone when opening an inventory while moving unarmed (kudos to ElectricLeash for the report)
  • Fixed: Characters would stop and slide when transitioning from an unarmed jog to an unarmed walk
  • Fixed: Characters would go prone when switching from an unarmed jog to an unarmed walk while turning (kudos to Somesangheili for the report)
  • Fixed: The first unit would respawn on an incorrect position in the Respawn Menu
  • Fixed: The brightness of Altis and Stratis in the map mode was too low

:thumb:

Good to see the prone animations sorted.

Now just looking for the fix for:

Greenfist - Last Sunday at 7:09 PM
Another minor anim annoyance: 1. stand up, 2. lower weapon, 3. crouch. The weapon will rise by itself. 
Doesn't happen if you're moving.

Just the main weapon affected, and also happens for the reverse of the quoted action repro.

E

you should check the visual update on Altis and Stratis the maps on which devs are working and not on arma 2 ports where lighting is probably broken.

But i did read on recent devbranch that they added new lighting to old maps etc. hope that will fix it

It looks all the same on my machine, I noticed Stratis just seemed to have a very bright/washed out OFP'esque look to it, on top of which was the anticipated performance issues that go along with it.

I'm glad there are some other people who drew the correlation to it looking like OFP, because that's exactly what I thought of when I saw it.

I'm personally not a fan, I tried downgrading to 1.58 and it didn't work for me which is unfortunate, I personally think BI needs to get off the hedonic treadmill development wise. There was nothing broken about the game prior to this release, some of the screenshots of the new visuals look nice enough, and if I had a better machine I'd be interested in how it plays out, but I am skeptical of the prospects of being able to tweak the new graphics settings and have the game perform and look as it did before the update. Both visually and gameplay wise I was pretty happy with where I fell on the performance envelope.

Nobody wants to be told: "You're going to have to have the game either look worse or play worse" if your system can't keep up, and to be honest it's not really justifiable either.

I think it's good that you guys at BIS update Arma.

@pd3: They are trying to keep the game up to date and that's perfectly justifiable. That is and was one of the great things of PC gaming: Getting new hardware and putting it to use. On the other Hand I understand that people with older rigs might have some problems with that. But can't you disable most of the new lighting features anyway? Or if you really don't like it use custom shaders?

Also I'm sure they are already looking into the broken lighting of custom maps if it is something on their end, otherwise we will have to wait till the map makers find the time to update their creations.

What ever happened to the night/infrared vision for the special purpose helmets and pilot helmets?   :confused: They won't turn on :\

EDIT: it's working normally for dev branch but not for Apex/RC branch

radio protocol seem to be broken

no matter what faction you choose your player unit will speak always the default english one.

• Like 1

What ever happened to the night/infrared vision for the special purpose helmets and pilot helmets?   :confused: They won't turn on :\

EDIT: it's working normally for dev branch but not for Apex/RC branch

I think it has been fixed very recently on DEV; the fix should hit RC soon.

radio protocol seem to be broken

no matter what faction you choose your player unit will speak always the default english one.

Exacly - in RHS mod, only player speak russian (when playing russians), all teammembers speak english. Same with vanilla and all modded factions.

First off, I want to thank BI for making such a great game and great DLC. I have over 2200 hours in-game and have very few complaints, but with regards to Apex, I found a few things worth mentioning.

1. ERCO sits too far forward (particularly on the SPAR 16). I know the Sig Bravo 4 (aka ERCO) advertises great eye relief, but come on... If the optic is made for the SPAR 16, it should at least be mounted properly.  In contrast, the DMS sits right at the sweet spot.   (For clarification eye relief is the distance from the eye to the eyepiece)

2. The ERCO is not sighted in properly. My shots always hit slightly right of the reticle, although I believe this is a known issue and has been mentioned previously.

3. The Xi'an and Blackfish can both accelerate vertically to 250km/h and 130km/h respectively. The only other aircraft that can do this (in-game) is the Neophron, and even that is questionable. In order to accelerate vertically, the thrust/weight ratio must be greater than one. Only few aircraft have achieved this: i.e. F16, F22, and we all know the Blackish/Xian are not in the same class as those aircraft...  

Unfortunately the new lighting is doing more harm than good to the current maps..

This. I don't follow the beta-testing here, just came to read the RC notes and saw nothing on lightning and I'm disappointed.

If you try Chernarus for Arma 3, the lightning is completely broken and there won't even be a proper night. OK; maybe it's up to the custom mapper.

But it also affects a lot of things in Altis and Stratis too. For example, the car lights are too small now and you can look into every light with nightvision on. Before, having nightvision on in city district with lights was a big disadvantage. Now you can look directly into car lamps.

If you try Chernarus for Arma 3, the lightning is completely broken and there won't even be a proper night. OK; maybe it's up to the custom mapper.

Can we get away from using generic throw-around terms like "completely broken" to a more, you know, informative type of reports?

Are you using CUP Terrains? If yes, then the lighting should be alright - tweakworthy, but not "completely broken".

If you are using AiA or an old version of CUP Terrains, then yes, these no longer work.

• Like 3