AveryTheKitty

What is your best/worst experience in Arma 3?

If this isn't the correct place to post this (I'd imagine it is) would a mod please move it to the correct sub-forum?

As the title says, what's your best or worst experience in Arma 3?

My best: I was playing the End Game public test w/ the developers. We were pinned down in the hospital, CSAT forces were every where. If I remember correctly, the people on my team were Ondrej, End Star, and a few other people. We were being suppressed from people behind the rocks, and me being a grenadier, I decided to use my UGL and see if I could take out anyone. A fired a few blind shots, no hits. Not a minute later, some of them begin to push up. I fire a few more grenades, one hitting zipper5 and killing him. We continued to hold our ground, but eventually the other team broke through and slaughtered us. In the next game, we managed to get our FOB up first and I hopped in one of the offroads headed to the objective where you kill the officer. We parked about 200 meters away from the compound.

I was an AT man this time. I scanned the hills as we approached the objective, and mid-way to the compound, I noticed something on the horizon. It was an offroad. I grabbed my PCML and locked on, firing a rocket at them. The rocket hits and kills 4 guys.

My worst was during Bingo Fuel, where I got the fuel truck after an hour and a half of sneaking around in broad daylight. I started driving to the drop-off point for Miller, and then a Mora notices me and blows up the fuel truck with me in it. GG.

Best:

MANW (participating, discovering I was a finalist, playing other missions from contestants and discovering very talented missions makers).

Worst:

the damage system / health system (why the hell they didn't keep ArmA 2's medical system and damage system)

Now, I have to shoot at least 3 or 4 bullets to a guy before he dies, sometimes headshot doesn't work, etc...

Plus the fact that the medic is still idiot and will barely come if I'm wounded...(like 3 hours after I asked for help).

Best - Playing Cti  with buddies...

One of the worst-

Some days.... I was doing some testing in W2E and just started taping. I had called in a friendly tank... what you don't see well is the tank fire hitting an enemy helicopter in the dark... we hadn't switched to nightvision cam at that point...

the rest speaks for itself...

• Like 2

Best: Wasteland - Dominating the Guglovo region for most of the duration of the server's up time, we then got raided by Blue Forces who kicked us out in one hell of a bloody battle. After being crap talked over chat, and the rest of Opfor having lost their pride, I engaged in aggressive tone against our team mates to get them back into shape. After giving up and seeming like my pep talk had no effect, it was just me and one friend closing in on Guglovo from the west... After sneaking past a few enemy patrols in the fields and tree lines, we got in close. To odd surprise, a voice broke over the radio. It was our friendly forces, about 15 or 20 moving in from the east on the hill, and in the forest, undetected. After gathering supplies they decided to make one last effort to take our base. I wouldn't let them down. As me and my buddy could almost touch the walls of our base, the count down begun, at sun set. The sun went below the horizon. It was time. 3... 2...1...

Lag...

Out of no where, there were at least 12 or so explosions in the forest, RPG's!!! As around 12 RPG's slammed into the towers and walls, and landing inside of the base, enemies were wiped out. Me and my buddy ran to the wall, unlocked walls, and charged in. Under friendly suppression fire, we went in CQB taking out any unsuspecting enemy too scared to pay attention to enemy infiltration. It was over within seconds. We'd taken back the base in 1/1000th the time it took Blue Forces to kick us out. There was no back talk from them anymore, it was an utter obliteration of their entire team.

Worst: Being bored of wasteland, and searching the server list only to not find anything else to play. Staring at countless life game modes that take too much effort to play, and a few annex/CTI/Domination style games that are too classic to play often.

Best: A friend and I were playing as a two man US Army team sent to the west of Bastam in Takistan. Our mission was to take out 2 weapons cache's: one in the mosque and one in the military complex of Rasman to the North. As we approached Bastam from the East we slowed our Humvee and began observing the enemy. After beginning our engagement we began to hear whistles...then BOOM...BOOM...BOOM. We were under inaccurate mortar fire and my buddy's just like: "We're a f*cking two man team, devil! How the h*ll do you expect us to deal with enemy mortar support?" We ended up completing the mission in Bastam and then finding the mortar in the fortifications between the two cities. His reaction, though: priceless.

Worst: A save point put me right at the end of an enemie's muzzle with no time to react. Finding no way to not get shot, I had to restart the mission. The same thing happened a second time.

Best.......Pilgrimage.

Worst.......No filter option to rid my life of Life Servers in multiplayer.....they truly are the Devil's spawn.

• Like 2

Best: This happened in TacBF. I see two man heavy machinegun team on the hills of Zargabad. I'm 1200m away and observing how some guy is getting in their rear. He gets one but the other one survives and shoots our guy. I give some suppression with iron sight Katiba so the living guy won't heal the other man and get back in the HMG. After about 10 rounds I see that there are now three bodies lying on the ground so I was my mouth open wondering could it be me that killed the other guy. After the session I load up editor put tracing script on and repro the situation. My shots landed just where the HMG team was and I didn't see anyone else shooting at them because they were very far away. I still can't be 100% sure about did I made 1200m iron sight shot with wind but at least now I know how to aim Katiba at that distance B)

Worst: Everytime I get fusturated about the action and commanding menu, server browser that can't filter out not interested servers, or that the VOIP is just lagging like hell. Big mention also goes to the Bingo Fuel that I've only made at daylight so my experience might be bit different from many others. After a year I tried it again and it was maybe patched or something because I got through easier than I thought it but it still felt pretty horrible because the AI was good only being bait for the enemy. Acting like a lone superhero in a mil-sim just doesn't cut for me... That wasn't really the only mission I felt that but it was the worst for me.

Best: Discovering the Pilgrimage SP mission. My scariest. moment in this was just after the start of a mission, in the dark and without NVGs. I was armed with just an SMG and a couple of mags. I moved into one of the two roomed single storey shacks and cleared it and then opened the map to decide which direction to take. After closing the map I moved into the other room only to come under fire from an enemy hiding in there. I returned fire and thanks to weapon inertia managed to kill the enemy before he killed me. I survived, but my underwear didn't.

Worst: trying to engage in CQB with single figure FPS

Best experiences:

- getting used to the new lighting and effects, I know they're not essential, but it made the game a hell of a lot more immersive.

- playing co-op territories, it was a year ago, and it was fairly laggy at times, but it was great fun, I recall one game in particular in which myself and another player attempted it alone, I assaulted from the ground, the other player ran CAS missions, we did fairly well considering it was a mission intended for many more players

- experiencing new vehicle physics, a marked improvement over A2, even flying helicopters feels different now

- discovering the AI can be fairly devious in how it tries to manage you as a threat, especially in urban terrain, again a marked improvement over A2

- Dragonfyre's release, it changed everything

- memory allocation being improved for A3 after devs took notice of how well third party optimizations worked, since then A3 has more or less maintained a great overall record of performance improvements on my modest machine

Worst experiences:

- buggy interactions within buildings, especially when moving and looking via iron sights, sometimes I'd magically get stuck, or teleport and die, or some other insane thing, messed up a few missions, thankfully now it really only happens with legacy A2 buildings, and I can't fault anyone for that as they're technically not A3 content

- being an experienced A2 player and getting acquainted with the A3 inventory system in the heat of an online firefight, I am now proficient in both

- struggling to activate a door and the option magically disappearing even though I'm within range (this was an A2 problem as well, so it's nothing new).

- corrupted game cache (but I don't really blame BI for that, but nonetheless it really sucked having to download the whole game over again)

In-all, my worst experiences weren't really anything at all, the bug was fixed, the inventory system for A3 works well for the game, about the only thing that is annoying, but far from the end of the world is an option mysteriously disappearing from the interaction menu. The game is pretty solid, the positives definitely outnumber the negatives.

My best

Killing 7 people on wasteland by hiding inside a bush with a SD rifle and SD pistol, found a tank upside down near camp tempest i flipped it over and it had full health and ammunition, my 3 freinds were streaming so they were beginning to shoot at me with a rocket launcher but i got a mod Blascore where i lets me see the rocket easier, they hit me i took  some damage i loaded HE round saw them on the hill blew them 3 up sky high xD

My Worst

I got myself a clan called the 45th VDV and its a russian elite airborne clan english only, getting recruits is slow for me, but thats not entirely my worst anyway the worst thing that has ever happened to me on arma 3 is running up to an opfor soldier that came out of knowhere like jump scared me, although i paniced and shot him and he was like NOOO IM RICK WHY YOU SHOOT ME xD, turns out the opfor guy i shot was my freind, now when i use to play cotton eye joe on Arma 3 epoch he sprays me with machineguns xD

Best- Playing invade and annex and I'm taking some guys to the AO. An enemy helicopter appears in front of us and starts shooting so I drop altitude fast. But it's a flat area and I manage to pull of a crash landing with everyone still alive. The helicopter ended up blowing us up anyway, but our medic survived and revived everyone

Worst- Every time I try and set down the ghost hawk just a little to hard and it breaks.

worst - this new crap food n drink stupidity, you claim realism, this is not realism, needing drink every hour after `filling up` is beyond a joke

worst - this new crap food n drink stupidity, you claim realism, this is not realism, needing drink every hour after `filling up` is beyond a joke

WTF are you talkin about? Food and drink? Thats not Arma thats some bullshit Life mod so military up or GTFO with your realism complaints.

• Like 1

Best

Getting much nice new scripts commands for the game. Engine first time allowing open world sandbox without bigger issues.

Worst

MANW - dedicated to work for it for a year with 5 last months under liver virus and horrible anxiety dissorder. Then my giant COOP get dropped by some one weekend projects. Later my SP project get judged by some clueless group that dont give a word of explanation why they their result was so opposite to target audience voting. Getting to hear lies from BIS workers that I thought were almost friends to me. I am offered feedback twice, but everytime there is another BIS worker about to play my entry instead of gathering thoughts from the BIS jury members that have already hope fully experience of the entry. Still I should believe that 30 missions (including campaigns and dynamic sandboxes) where properly reviewed by folk that dont have any experience of the job. As game reviewing freelancer I know myself how impossible task that would be - 100s hours of work. Still after that, jury dont like to share any word of the giant task? Shouldnt they get some spotlight for that massive work?

Why MP category was at the end all about small consepts and why story was the most important part in SP (I even remember one BIS jury member openly seeking story from SP entries in twitter)? Why not bother to say what you seek, instead make people work on something for year that isnt given any value at the end. I thought you seeked new big gamemode, but its was about small PvP and more narrow CallOfDuty corridor storyride. I could have made 30 PvP modes for you. This wasnt some fun one weekend t-shirt competition. People could have invest money in their entries and get skipped like my entry. Absolute unbelieveable how you can deal things this way. Just lazy and clueless. Did you even play all the MP finalist? And you probably realized my MP entry wasnt same as SP, only sharing name. Had probably more features in than all winners combined and community liked it the most. How its even possible to create something out-of-the-box, get most target audience votes and still drop 3 or more places down?

Your game is battlezone, I made a battlezone gamemode that can be played anyway you like (supporting automatically basically all mods that have been made or to be made). And you are not interested? You hyped open sandbox world still for game2, had some dynamic missions for arma2 campaign. But none in arma3, and once you have 3 year worked easily customizable open world sandbox with smooth FPS in front of you eyes then you are not quite in mood to check it? I could have easily helped you to create fully dynamic campaign for near free (that you clearly are incapable do yourself) and without real risks. Why not take it? You know I can include any material in quickly in only hours. The biggest AAA-title games are sandboxes today, still you want to copy some dying static CallOfDuty genre.

Been 8 years very active in the community, working also as ofpec staff, prepared missions for arma2 community mission pack (that was never released and no any sorry was given), been supporting you everytime you have asked and even wrote the highest and only 9/10 arma3 review for magazine that is listed in metacritic (i still think the game deserved that rate). But you think its okay not to say one word of feedback and sell my hard work for few second extra publicity for MANW partners. How you sleep at nights? Thanks ruining my favorite hobby.

• Like 2

Hi SaOk!

It is not for me to judge that, because I'm not involved, but I am speechless after reading your commentary.
Any feedback/statement from BIS?

Greetings

McLupo

They only say noone is responsible for making it joke and there is no way to be contact with the Spanel or other MANW judges. Basically there is only workers between trying to solve the problem (keep me silent). All my points go through deaf ears. And its like the community votes/comments dont exist. They say my WLA COOP was worse than paintball pvp. And they speak like WLA COOP was the main version, while its only a WIP demo of SP version. Also getting censored and once someone say anything against me, the moderators come shut down the conversation with phrase "And that being said...".

Thank you very much for telling your point of view

In spite of all this things - please keep up your awesome work.

All the best to you!

McLupo

My worst is flying, hands down. It was the aspect I was most looking forward to, and it is the most disappointing part of the game.

Realizing for the first time that airplanes are literally on rails was the most disappointing experience in Arma 3. (I know, they can move up and down. Ok, then it's like a roller coaster, but with fixed speed)

The best experience was actually something not combat related. On the first terrorist resistance outpost on Altis I picked up a side mission to investigate a disabled APC. It was in an orchard/garden located in a village close to the coast. I wanted to scout the area, so I took the quad and drove up a hill nearby. The sun had just set and when I got off the quad the soundtrack kicked in and you could see the village lights, the coast line - it was beautiful. I wish I could have kept that savegame. The music was perfect.

Combat related the best experience was stealing a light tank in the most difficult mission (Bingo Fuel IIRC) and wreaking havoc in the base from the hill on the other side - as well as taking down the chopper and some of the transporters in the village. Only later I found out that most people played that mission during the night as it's easier then.

Best: The Single Player Campaign.

It took me a few months to finish but right off the bat I knew Miller was up to something, especially with the way James approaches you when you come to the camp and then leads you into thinking Miller is in charge.

Waking up on Altis for the first time...was the first time in any game I've spent 12 hours on a single mission, and 15 on Bingo Fuel after capturing every vehicle I could. The ability to rearm your own crew in game was just great.

Even the campaign "WIN" was amazing, even if it was short, in that it shows you how technology/group effort can change the battlefield almost instantly...

Finally, Game Over...what a great way to say "Okay, hot shot, now take all you've learned and apply it for real this time..."

Worst:

Until I knew about game mechanics, the auto-kill boundaries placed on maps to keep you from wandering too far. This really felt like a cheap, CHEAP way to solve a critical problem. To boot, 100% of the time, even if I got the 'warning' ("uhoh, I think I'm going the wrong way.") the game killed me mercilessly anyway. Fortunately I found a mod that let me cheat a bit so I could at least see where the map boundaries were, but honestly, there is no reason they couldn't have just said "Stay in the operational area...period."

Conclusion:

The only regret I really have about Arma is that "Win" "Game Over" wasn't extended more. It's a challenge that says "Stop playing already!". I just wish that Game Over had saves and occasionally dropped enemies/supplies so that you could just play on and enjoy the game without replaying the campaign.

I realize there ARE mods that do this, however, I can't play online due to time constraints(I have two sons so I only get an hour here/there) nor do I want to spend hours mod hunting on Steam. Arma 3 Warlords was fun but without the ability to save it's very difficult to leave running all the time.

I just wish BI had an extended final map that said "Have fun now and don't get lost!" while letting you choose your own targets and ROE...

• Like 1

best experiences

- ArmA 3 and what it offers in general

-CTI

-Teamwork,when it actually works

-Single player campaign

-Tactics you think before the start of the mission or on the fly.And reactions to enemy plans.In CTI you always need to counter the enemy's plan and think of your own.Then share it with your team and it's Christmas time!!!

-Tanks and other heavy armored vehicles when i realise how deadly they can be with a full and trained crew.Just recently me and another player turned a whole CTI game around with one tank.I let my partner shooting our objective point with T-100s 50 cal cleaning the place of infantry while i was looking around with the main gun for enemy armor and.Right there i see a marshal ready to shoot me from the side and bammmmmm Marshal dead.He managed to fire a couple of shots,damaged my track but no big deal.As we continued to push forward i dropped a ghost hawk with my 125 cannon,many pawnees with 7.62 machine gun and many infantry.We really changed the game there.It's magical i can't describe it!

Worst experiences

-when i let A.I. drive

-when noobs ruining my game in every possible way

-When trying to kill a CSAT soldier A.I. with 5.56 gun

My Best Experience must be the arma 3 physics. Having a flying tank for a minute it was so funny.

My Worse Experience, i dont really have a worse experience.