Sign in to follow this  
Maurdekye

Description.ext not working

This is probably asked a lot, since it's likely a common problem that I feel like I should have been able to solve by now, but my description.ext just doesn't work. It's not even that complicated, it's just five lines of config. Here are the contents;

respawn = "BASE";
respawnTemplates[] = {"MenuPosition"};
respawnDelay = 5;
respawnVehicleDelay = 3;
disabledAI = "true";

I've fooled with the formatting for a half hour now, double and triple checked to make sure everything is spelled and capitalized properly, used every alternative for values ("BASE" vs 3 in the respawn variable, "true" vs 1 in disabledAI), but no combination causes it to work. The filename is "description.ext", and I've made absolutely sure that it's also spelled right. I have no idea why it isn't working, and it's ridiculously frustrating. If anybody could give me suggestions as to what else I could try, it'd be greatly appreciated.

I've also added player and vehicle respawn locations to my map, with the names "respawn_civilian" and "respawn_vehicle_civilian_1" through "respawn_vehicle_civilian_6". I've double checked those for spelling errors as well.

I also added this line to my init.sqf for the vehicle respawns;

{
  _x respawnVehicle [-1];
} forEach vehicles;

Make sure your file is not actually a text file like "description.ext.txt" You can show hidden file extension in windows folder options.

I have "hide extensions for known file types" unchecked, so that's not the issue. Just to be sure, it says "EXT File" on the right under "Type" in the file explorer.

I am sorry what is not working exactly?

If you want to respawn vehicles its need to be scripted using command :

vehicle respawnVehicle [delay, count];

Or you can use a BIS module vehicle respawn or even use community vehicles respawn  script.

I just saved the map again, and it suddenly started working. I think I had an older version that it wasn't saving over for some reason.

Use disabledAI = 1; versus "true", for that is not a valid value for the setting.

true == 1, false == 0

Every time you modify Description.ext you have to load the mission you can't just save it and run the mission as the previous one is still in the memory.

I just realized that ctrl+s doesn't actually save the mission to the multiplayer mission pool, I have to go to Save As and click Export as Multiplayer Mission before it updates. Kind of stupid.

In my expirence, i also saw that in order for the mission to see the newest changers on these type of files, you may need to completely start the mission from Editor again, or possible hit the "OPEN" button to reopen mission and then load.  This way it reloads the file and see's changes.  Could be wrong but ran into a couple of situations where i had to reopen mission before the changes took place.  Hope that helps if any.

I should have asked earlier but...

If you exported the SP mission to MP, did you check if the mission file CONTAINS the description.ext? Your most likely better off copying the mission to the mpmissions folder, or packing it to a ".pbo" and then place it in your arma 3 MPmissions directory.

Also, -showScriptErrors is magic.