zbug

[MP][CTI-COOP] Liberation (beta)

Thank you everyone who helped out with my issues in setting up the Headless Clients!

I do not know why I was making it so hard and so complicated when in all reality, it is super easy and fairly straightforward! So thank you to all for your help and patience! :)

I wanted to provide a step-by-step guide on how to setup headless clients for the Liberation Tanoa mission. There are many guides out there, but a lot of them focus on server admins who have full access and permissions to their server, something that unfortunately not all of us have with our rented and hosted servers we use. This guide is going to specifically detail how to get Headless Clients on your home/personal computer to connect to your rented or hosted server. I am doing this option for the time being as I am currently working with my hosting company to see if they can let me submit a file to be built and they build it for me. Once I am able to, I will move my Headless Clients over to the server itself as that is the most ideal setup and way to connect.

So without much further delay, let's go ahead and jump right into it! This setup will be based on a Windows-based home computer that is going to be connecting Headless Clients to a Linux-based hosted environment.

Sil's Guide to Connecting Headless Clients via Home Based computer to Hosted/Rented Linux Server for Liberation mission

Step 1:     Go to google.com.

Step 2:     Type in the question "What is my external IP address?" This is your public IP, write this number down and save for future steps.

Step 3:     In your server, find server.cfg (this is your server config file).

Step 4:     Open up server.cfg in text program of your choice, I personally use Notepad++ (https://notepad-plus-plus.org/https://notepad-plus-plus.org/)

Step 5:     Anywhere in the server.cfg file, you will want to add the following three lines:

headlessClients[]    = {"xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"};
localClients[]           = {"xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"};
battleyeLicense      = 1;

Step 6:     Take the number we wrote down in previous Step 2, and replaced the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with your external IP address that Google gave you. Replace both headlessClients and localClients to reflect your external IP address. 

Step 7:     Save your file and restart server

Step 8:     Go to your main Arma3 directory, mine is the default location for Steam (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3)

Step 9:     Find the file arma3server.exe, and right click one time on the entry to bring up the right click menu options

Step 10:   In the right click menu options, click option to "Create Shortcut" for arma3server.exe. Rename shortcut HC or HeadlessClient

Step 11:   Place the shortcut you created wherever you wish for convenience, I keep mine on my desktop right below the icon to launch Arma 3. We will use this shortcut to launch our Headless Clients. We only need one shortcut. Each instance that we open up (double clicking three times to bring up three copies of the program) will effectively connect HC1, HC2, and HC3 which have been predefined in the Liberation mission by zbug and McKeewa.

Step 12:   Right click on the shortcut you just created and choose Properties

Step 13:   In the Target field, add the following line to your entry:     -client -connect=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -port=xxxx -mod=

Step 14:   Replace the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with your RENTED SERVER IP ADDRESS. Make sure to include the correct PORT as well (Example: -client -connect=172.123.88.123 -port=2307 -mod=(any mods you normally run on your server go here, don't forget the -mod= format. So if you have ACE, you'll put -mod=@ace)

Step 15:   Accept changes

Step 16:   Double click the HC shortcut, a little white box should pop up that says Dedicated client created. Wait a few moments and you'll notice that "headlessclient connected" and will be under profile HC1,  HC2, or HC3. 

If any problems or questions with this guide, please let me know. I wanted to share this though because of the lack of clear guides that are available out there. The problem I ran into quite frequently was clashing and conflicting information. 

I hope this helps!

So- You turned your pc based server .exe into a Headless client for your server.. ?    (wow!)

So- You turned your pc based server .exe into a Headless client for your server.. ?    (wow!)

I did! With my unique situation as described in the post, I had to get a little creative! ;)

• Like 1

Sil, can I suggest you also post this information into the headless client post in the server administration section.

Very valuable for people that don't realise its possible to do it this way.

thanks.

for those wanting to host and play on their own machine the steps above are exactly the same, just use IP = 127.0.0.1

• Like 1

INCORRECT AREA. Accidentally posted my guide twice here, trying to delete but only lets me edit.

Please disregard this entry.

LIberation Tanoa v0.3 Beta is now available for download and testing! :)

https://github.com/SilCarmikas/Arma-3-Liberation-0.924-Tanoa/tree/master

Noted Issues:

-Secondary Missions do work most of the time, however every once in awhile, FOB bases and Helicopter Search and Rescue positions will spawn out in the water and cause some weird effects. Convoy missions will spawn, but no vehicles appear for you to go and capture? These are being worked on. Though the functionality is there, just use at your own risk!

-Scoreboard does not work fully. Individual soldier kills will not be tallied, but will still tally vehicle kills. I am suspecting this has to do with the ACE Medical and ACE Advanced Medical modules present for the map. I am experimenting with and investigating this to see if I can correct.

-Player obtained AI which was infused with VComAI scripts would not behave as they should all the time, I turned off VComAI functionality for them for the time being.

I suspect that you guys will have fun with this one! Please keep in mind that this release does require ACE. I will be updating the map and including a download for a non-ACE version soon. Please test and provide any feedback! Thanks guys!

Sil

The military base will work fine, as long as at least one person is nearby then yea, they won't respawn. If the progress bar is showing it's a good bet you're in a close enough vicinity to the sector for it not to respawn unless you leave, even if that is from another sector entirely. Once I saw how well the fps handled, I added quite a fair few of overlapping sectors to my own mission. It's gone well for me so far! But I think we're touching the "damaged fps" mark so we might have to pull some back. 

Does anyone know the exact requirements to keep the mission active? Is it distance and if so how far? Or?

We took the base over! It took 2 tries, for some reason my mate died, he was in the circle, I was also dead, so I re spawned and haloed in, everything re spawned. But we tried again and did it.. :D I think we have the problem completely sorted now. We know what to do, so thanks for the help, :)

• Like 1

i'm getting following error code:

'..._fnc_moduleInit_modules",[]]);
_modules |#|set [_modules find _logic,-1];
_logicmai...'
Error zero divisor
File A3\functions_f\modules\fn_moduleExecute.sqf, line52

and, when starting without atlas lhd, the parameter "start campain with fob already build" isn't working. it always starts with fob already build.

i unloaded the lhd because of the spawn bug. everything is falling out of the sky and spashes on deck (unplayable)

_logicmai...'

Error zero divisor

and, when starting without atlas lhd, the parameter "start campain with fob already build" isn't working. it always starts with fob already build.

i unloaded the lhd because of the spawn bug. everything is falling out of the sky and spashes on deck (unplayable)

Who's version are you using?

We took the base over! It took 2 tries, for some reason my mate died, he was in the circle, I was also dead, so I re spawned and haloed in, everything re spawned. But we tried again and did it..  :D I think we have the problem completely sorted now. We know what to do, so thanks for the help,  :)

Very good to hear!

Edited by Applejakerie

_logicmai...'

Error zero divisor

The ATLAS LHD mod requires a very specific install to work properly.

In order to work correctly, I had to load the mod onto the server as well as into my own direct Arma3 installation? I would give that a try?

~Sil~

• Like 1

Hi,

does anyone else have the problem, that after some time you cant capture some locations anymore, when using a headless client? 

Also enemies are not spawning anymore after some time with a headless client. 

Without a headless client everything is fine.

I have been having this issue too and it is quite curious. Has anyone else had this problem and have you been able to fix it? I can't make heads or tails of why this is happening?

I have been having this issue too and it is quite curious. Has anyone else had this problem and have you been able to fix it? I can't make heads or tails of why this is happening?

My server and  HC's  are all PayPerView ( jestservers.com)  AND I have not noticed any problems here with the AI.  Just occassional memory crash, seems its not completely rectified since 1.60,   again, its not persistant, but playing with the X-threads(no)  vs.  Allow Hyperthreading(on),  seems to alleviate the condition to some degree.Remeber 1.58, and early 1.60.. the ai's became autistic in that HC spawning created their world, and refused to engage any faction... 

Who's version are you using?

the current one of Sil.

and the comander's slot isn't working. only as admin, but when you're admin, it works with every slot. i also tried it with "whitelist restriction" bound to squad.xml.

the current one of Sil.

and the comander's slot isn't working. only as admin, but when you're admin, it works with every slot. i also tried it with "whitelist restriction" bound to squad.xml.

Oh okay, well I'll keep out. I haven't seen Sil's work (yet) so I can't comment. I would say to use PID rather than squad.xml, only because it's more secure, it won't fix any of those issues. 

Sounds like Sil went for a more, Zeus as Admin, work around. So maybe he's expecting only your Admins to be using Zeus?

Like Sil said, for Atlas to work the server and the client both need the same version of the LHD mod running. When the server picks up the mod, it uses the LHD, when it doesn't, it reverts to the default Chimera. I'm not sure if this is separate per person or if everyone on the server needs the LHD, if one person happens to be using it. (I really have no idea.) I do know that the mod works (barely) though so there is a way to fix your issues.

The ATLAS LHD mod requires a very specific install to work properly.

In order to work correctly, I had to load the mod onto the server as well as into my own direct Arma3 installation? I would give that a try?

~Sil~

no, doesn't work.

the rappelling thing ain't working, either. though only tried with ai (no one else on our server).

by the way, i'm speaking of the ace-version.

and is it intendet, that once you click "respawn" after you're unconcient, you have to end the game and start up again in the lobby?

cause after you have respawned, the screen is still grey and there is no other option, than to click on "end"

Yea that's Sil's version, I don't use Ace. 

Are you playing it in the editor or on a dedicated server?

Very strange. Something sounds broken to me, if you like you can follow my signature to my own mission but you'll need to add Ace modules etc yourself, it's totally vanilla in that sense.

Personally, I'd wait for Sil to be about. I'm sure he'd welcome helping you. :)

fact is, i already tried your mission, cause i've noticed your signature.

but it has the same problem with the atlas lhd. but maybe i give it another try without the lhd.

are there any special differences between yours and the version, that's out on steam?

Ohyes, the LHD has caused me no ends of problems. I'd personally suggest not using it at all, it's not worth the hassle when Tanoa has multiple runways to take advantage of.

I'm not sure which you mean on Steam but compared to zBugs original work on Altis, it's exactly the same + some features + Tanoan map. 

Quite a fair few sectors. (Some may be removed in the future.)

A whole new squad added for above 75% aggression, these are Viper by default. 

There's a changelog for major details and even a tutorial if you wanted to make any edits yourself.

Hello! I want to see if I can tackle these in order so bear with me if you don't mind! ;)

_logicmai...'
Error zero divisor

Allow me to remind myself of what all needs to be installed client and server-side for the Atlas to work with Tanoa, and I will PM you a guide and post one on here as well for others. I should have something available for you tonight or tomorrow. In regards to the FOB already appearing whether you choose Yes or No if I am understanding your question correctly, the only time I've encountered this is when I was using an old save. Deleting any old saves will remedy this problem.

the current one of Sil.

This is an active issue I am currently working on. It is directly related to the recent Arma update that came out that seems to have broken certain things. Consider this a work in progress still as we are actively working to correct this. :)

no, doesn't work.

the rappelling thing ain't working, either. though only tried with ai (no one else on our server).

We've tested Urban Rappelling and Advanced Rappelling on our dedicated server and we cannot replicate this problem other than not having the mod installed? Can you elaborate a bit more on what it is you are experiencing?

by the way, i'm speaking of the ace-version.

and is it intendet, that once you click "respawn" after you're unconcient, you have to end the game and start up again in the lobby?

cause after you have respawned, the screen is still grey and there is no other option, than to click on "end"

This is a strange bug indeed.

To answer your question, yes, unless you want to wait the 180 sec countdown for a buddy to revive you using the ACE Medical system that is enabled, the intent is for you to hit ESC, click respawn, and be able to spawn at a location of your choice. I am looking for a way to make this more streamlined. You shouldn't have to Abort out of the game unless you are wanting to change your class from Engineer to Medic for example? I will look into this further, but so far we cannot replicate this on the dedicated server we have setup? Is there any way you could provide a video if possible for reference? I am a very visual, tactile person so actually seeing what it is you are experiencing may help a great deal!

Thank you for letting me know of these bugs and your patience with me as I work to figure them out! The smoother I can make the experience and transition, the better! :)

~Sil~

We've tested Urban Rappelling and Advanced Rappelling on our dedicated server and we cannot replicate this problem other than not having the mod installed? Can you elaborate a bit more on what it is you are experiencing?

i thought it was integrated into the mission. when i'm running it with the server it works just fine.

This is a strange bug indeed.

To answer your question, yes, unless you want to wait the 180 sec countdown for a buddy to revive you using the ACE Medical system that is enabled, the intent is for you to hit ESC, click respawn, and be able to spawn at a location of your choice. I am looking for a way to make this more streamlined. You shouldn't have to Abort out of the game unless you are wanting to change your class from Engineer to Medic for example? I will look into this further, but so far we cannot replicate this on the dedicated server we have setup? Is there any way you could provide a video if possible for reference? I am a very visual, tactile person so actually seeing what it is you are experiencing may help a great deal!

Thank you for letting me know of these bugs and your patience with me as I work to figure them out! The smoother I can make the experience and transition, the better! :)

~Sil~

can't deliver a video. imagine... you get shot - get unconcious (blackscreen waiting to be treated by a medic) then you hit "esc" and click "respawn". everything is like it should be, exept for the grey screen. then you have option where to respawn..."click" screen stays gray, camera closes up to the respawn position, where your character stands, but you can't move. the only option is to end the mission and you end up in the lobby.

i thought it was integrated into the mission. when i'm running it with the server it works just fine.

can't deliver a video. imagine... you get shot - get unconcious (blackscreen waiting to be treated by a medic) then you hit "esc" and click "respawn". everything is like it should be, exept for the grey screen. then you have option where to respawn..."click" screen stays gray, camera closes up to the respawn position, where your character stands, but you can't move. the only option is to end the mission and you end up in the lobby.

Thank you for reporting this to me.

That sounds very, very frustrating. I will do everything I can to replicate what you experiencing, but so far, I have not had this issue happen nor has anyone else on my server mentioned anything to me, so I will definitely keep my eyes and ears open. If anyone else on here is experiencing, please let me know!

For the Rappelling being available mission side, I'm sorry, that was more of a note for myself of something that i had added to my server that I run rather than something that I included in the mission. I had forgotten to omit that from the readme. I wish i had scripting experience like that to be able to hardcode into the mission, then I'd really make some stuff! :P I'm sure there is a way, but that is way above my paygrade right now. ;) I'm sorry for any confusion I may have caused. Mods like that will still need to be loaded onto your server and/or client as appropriate. Refer to your Mod instructions for further details.

As for the issue with Helis spawning and dropping out of the sky, I have made some corrections to the maps and provided updated copies on my GitHub, so you should not be having this issue anymore once you update the .pbo file. I am sorry but I cannot remember what I did before to make them not start out with their engines on when you spawn. I'll play with it over the next few days to see what I did before, but for now am going to take a bit of a break.

Go ahead and try the updated maps on my GitHub - https://github.com/SilCarmikas/Arma-3-Liberation-0.924-Tanoa

One is setup for ACE = greuh_liberation_sil's_edit_beta_v0.3_ace.tanoa.pbo

The other is not = greuh_liberation_sil's_edit_beta_v0.3.tanoa.pbo

Thank you for all your input! Please let me know of any other bugs you find and I'll address them! :)

~Sil~

For the Rappelling being available mission side, I'm sorry, that was more of a note for myself of something that i had added to my server that I run rather than something that I included in the mission. I had forgotten to omit that from the readme. I wish i had scripting experience like that to be able to hardcode into the mission, then I'd really make some stuff! :P I'm sure there is a way, but that is way above my paygrade right now. ;) I'm sorry for any confusion I may have caused. Mods like that will still need to be loaded onto your server and/or client as appropriate. Refer to your Mod instructions for further details.

and how about vcom? i found two folders inside the mission labeled vcom and vcom_driving. are they working?

and how about vcom? i found two folders inside the mission labeled vcom and vcom_driving. are they working?

Yes, VCom and VCom Driving have been functioning very well, offering an added challenge to the experience!