zbug

[MP][CTI-COOP] Liberation (beta)

The difficulty affects the AI skills but not the point where they stop spotting and hitting each other altogether. At 0.5 their skill gets reduced by the square root of 0.5, so that's 70% of the original skill values. I will do more testing on 0.5 difficulty to see what could have gone wrong. But if that means the AI have a very hard time hitting the players on "tourist" difficulty mode, I'd say it's just working as intended :P

The unitcap is used to prevent the mission from spawning too many AI units. If you send people everywhere to activate every sector, they will just stop activating at all. It prevents the AI numbers from reaching such amounts that you get poor performance both server and client side. What we miss right now is the client feedback to know when the cap has been reached and which sectors are active. I've had an instance where a single unit got lost into Agios Dyonisos without being killed, and it meant nothing could spawn because of those ~80 AIs defending the town for nothing.

If you go with the 200% cap, that means you can have two times more AI at a given time, and about 40% more AIs into each active sector, plus a bit more patrols and bigger battlegroups. That also means that with the current state of the game, you can expect terrible client performance even with the HCs managing it perfectly. Right now from what we can see during playtests I'd recommend 125% or lower, 100% being "the way it's meant to be played" anyways.

Just in case the HC does nothing for client performance, it just makes the AIs more reactive, challenging and enjoyable to play against. What might improve the experience further is the way they offload the AI from the main server, which means the server can spend its time dealing with the mission and networking tasks instead.

As for 0.9:

The version is done and we will playtest it tonight. It comes with a warning as it includes savegame patching, which means you won't be able to go back to an older version with your savegame if there is a major issue. I'll make sure there's no such issue, but I'll also recommend you keep a copy of your current 0.89 (or earlier) savegame in case you have to revert. I do not expect this to happen - but better safe than sorry.

Hey Zbug,

i would like to make a backup safe. Wich file do i have to copy in order so safe our progress?

Look for the <profileName>.vars.Arma3Profile file, somewhere on your server

Uhm in the Arma3 rootdirectory? Since we only have a rented gameserver we have no access beyond this...

Well you can search for *.Arma3Profile everywhere you have access, and if you don't find it, that's an issue indeed

No, I'm using a feature from the Arma engine here. Choosing the path would create a lot more issues than it would solve, if that's only possible

Edit: maybe there's something you can do with the server config, to store its entire profile in a place you can access for example. I don't know enough about server administration to answer that

Alright no problem. Saving does work aswell wipe savegame, we have to be carefull upgrading to your next version then. Think we gonna wait a while till its 100% stable and working. Thanks for your help anyhow.

Have a nice test today.

Ps: i had to change the cap_thresold_count to 4 since we had a hard time finding the last 2 guys hiding in a shitty little shack outside city last night.

v0.90 is out, grab it here

What's new:

1. Ingame tutorial has been added. It's not final, if you think some things are missing or if you spot mistakes, feel free to share. It will change anyways along with the new incoming features.
  2. Prisonners can now be properly captured. They must be brought back to a FOB to yield intel and a small ammo bonus.
  3. Passive ammo income no longer exists. Instead you will see vehicle ammo crates popping randomly inside friendly military bases. You have to slingload those crates back to a nearby FOB and recycle them to get resources. This is the first brick of the new secondary objectives and it will be expanded greatly in the future. The possibility to load crates onto trucks is into development already, but in its current state it couldn't be included in this version. Next time ;)
  4. New option to play with reduced fatigue settings, by default it will be 50% of the original value.
  5. New option to get smaller hostile groups when playing with only a few people.
  6. Now every build in progress can be cancelled with no ammo cost.
  7. New sectors, mostly in areas of the map that used to be very empty. Those sectors will be hostile so depending on your current progress you may have to take care of them first. Also Molos airfield is now a factory, just like every other airfield. 
  8. And a bunch of bug fixes and various tweaks.

As usual the savegame will be patched and you won't even notice it, but because of the new sectors you won't be able to go back to any previous version of liberation. We didn't have any issue playing with this version tonight (otherwise I wouldn't release and give it a few more days), but be aware of that, and make backups if you can.

Either click "how to play" in the main menu when the mission starts or use the action at the LHD

Dohhh!  Need to pay attention!

Great Mission, having lots of fun, wife hates you! :)

Interesting case:

I captured 3 Enemies but could only get one to move or transport, others stayed with hands on head but were part of my AI group, after awhile they departed my group and I had one left, no big deal just curious if you can capture more than one?

Last few days progress, with all the AddOns I can throw at it and it works great with 3 HC's.

http://i.imgur.com/n7oN2QP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/y3A6SoF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mgN38sD.jpg

Update: Just rejoined mission on Server JIP and this guy is still here?

http://i.imgur.com/kCfmQfK.jpg

Thanks,

Vengeance

• Like 2

That 2nd screen shoot, didn't realised you could build so many thing with the FOB. or did you edit your mission file maybe ?

That 2nd screen shoot, didn't realised you could build so many thing with the FOB. or did you edit your mission file maybe ?

I edited the mission; added Nimitz, base at Alymra, Auto Landing Airport in Ocean for Nimtz, USAF, TacOps, Flight Deck Crew, along with a dozen other mods.  The only thing so far that I can't make work with it is ALIVE and ACE3.  Also edited the Classnames so I can buy many of the Mods. 

I captured 3 Enemies but could only get one to move or transport, others stayed with hands on head but were part of my AI group, after awhile they departed my group and I had one left, no big deal just curious if you can capture more than one?

Nah it's definitely a bug, I didn't test with more than one, thanks for reporting it ;)

About that guy in your base, I don't know him personaly. It seems like your FOB might be into one of the new sectors so that's why civilians might spawn right into it

I haven't looked at 0.90 yet, but it looks like you're hand-placing areas on the map. Allows for a lot more hand-crafted customization, but porting it to other maps (as even if you don't, others will) would be made much easier by searching for locations and placing objectives based off that data.

Hi,

Thanks for this mission, nice and really funny.

I d like to personalize FOB.I have implemented one in the main FOB,  simple but I d like to personalize the flag with my own decoration when I use the flag inside construction menu to build a new FOB. Could you tell me where I can find this flag to write my script if it's possible ?

I haven't looked at 0.90 yet, but it looks like you're hand-placing areas on the map. Allows for a lot more hand-crafted customization, but porting it to other maps (as even if you don't, others will) would be made much easier by searching for locations and placing objectives based off that data.

I've looked into the idea of using map locations but it has a lot of issues:

- some sectors aren't locations,

- some locations aren't sectors,

- the hostile spawns are never a location,

- how to identify which is a town, which is a factory, which is a base,

- how to make sure there's not too many sectors close to each other (in some remote places 3 houses are enough to become a sector, but near Kavala it's not)

- how to name everything correctly, and Exile will give you an example of location names being off most of the time. Let's fly over to "Military". Uh uh. Sure :p

I've seen map analysis at work in Invade & Annex or DUWS and I didn't really like the result (plus in Invade & Annex it's so very slow due to the insane amount of buildings).

The idea has its merits (portability being the first) but in the end I felt like designing a system based on map analysis and tweaking it to give good and reliable results would take more time and effort than placing the sectors by hand on 10 different maps ;)

I'll be doing Bornholm with RHS, just in case anyone's wondering

Hi,

Thanks for this mission, nice and really funny.

I d like to personalize FOB.I have implemented one in the main FOB,  simple but I d like to personalize the flag with my own decoration when I use the flag inside construction menu to build a new FOB. Could you tell me where I can find this flag to write my script if it's possible ?

I guess your easiest way is to mod a custom flag pole with your texture into the game, and put its classname into classnames.sqf next to the regular NATO flag ;)

Adding some script inside the building function just to change the flag texture feels like a good way to break something, or have your modification erased with each new version

I'd like to use the occasion to repeat that currently I don't provide support for modded versions. You can do absolutely whatever you like and distribute your own version, but I really don't have enough time to help you with the issues you might encounter. The only thing that is safe to modify at the moment is classnames.sqf 

The idea has its merits (portability being the first) but in the end I felt like designing a system based on map analysis and tweaking it to give good and reliable results would take more time and effort than placing the sectors by hand on 10 different maps ;)

Your system is absolutely robust and reliable, do not change it. I've ported your mission to Lingor und FSF Rayak, each within an evening (and watching tv at the same time) and the mission itself works flawlessly on each map. So the effort for porting to a different map is absolutely ok. And tbh.... who does the porting.... mission makers. And mission makers are in my experience patient people, so speeding up the whole process is not necessary, imho.

Besides that.... your system gives the mission maker a lot of freedom to decide where to place what kind of location / sectors. An automatic system would be a reduction of that freedom. 

This mission is one of the best and most flexible mission (for porting and customization) i've ever seen. Structured files and folders, clean programming, easy to read and understand.......... epic.

Big cudos for you zbug.

• Like 1

- I have fixed the prisoner bug in the upcoming version,

- The taru has changed from the transport version to the external bench version, I didn't realise it would wipe the old taru from savegames if you had captured one, sorry for that :/

- The taru has changed from the transport version to the external bench version, I didn't realise it would wipe the old taru from savegames if you had captured one, sorry for that :/

My combat heli pilot was so mad, we got to buy him a Blackfoot, but now it's fine, he want to fly again to liberate stuff ^^

I see in config files there is some pre-made squad for sell, but I don't have any squad menu on the building screen ?

You need to use the commander slot, otherwise you won't be able to order them around. The commander slot will go when the votefor commander screen comes in

Zbug,

i don't know how you are spawning enemy groups (i hadn't time for a closer look). But is it possible to add some mission parameters to adjust the type spawing ratio (e.g. if 100 units are spawning, 75% will be infantry, 25% are cars, 0% tanks) ?

We had a session this week, where we were overwhelmed by Ifrits and infantry (around 4-5 cars and 2-3 groups in town, seems a bit out of balance for us).... tbh we were only three players and an ai-group. (overall ai amount setting were at 75%).