Hahhahaah, now gameplaying means testing dagger scopes hahahahaah. You know, my friends did the same and we have not played that first night.

Well, changing light amplification in some scopes might be easy, so you got a good point. I´ll consider that.

I have also chosen some candidates for ffp, mainly the most powerful ones. In this case I might start with only 2 zoom powers, the highest and the lowest, what do you tink?

And I´ve found a bug on the scopes with clip-on night vision sights: their maximum zoom power was set like the main scope power, while it should be limited by the clip-on sight, which is 12x for the PVS-29, and 10x for the PAS-13. Or, if you might like to discuss that matter you can PM me.

Since the reticles used in the PVS-29 as clip-on sight will be the same used in the upcoming PAS-13 used as clip-on too, I plan on creating the 3rd magnification power, for the chosen scopes, as being 10x for both the PVS-29 and the PAS-13. What do you say?

Here´s a test with the Nightforce 32x

@8x

2015_08_12_00001.jpg

@32x

2015_08_12_00002.jpg

@32x night. Notice the yellowish light amplification inside the scope.

2015_08_12_00004.jpg

@32x night and illuminated reticle.

2015_08_12_00005.jpg

@32x night and clip-on AN/PVS-29. Notice the image noise.

2015_08_12_00006.jpg

Old WWII scope at night with no yellowish light amplification.

2015_08_12_00007.jpg

Guest hellghost

Hi QuickDagger,

Nice to see your excellent work coming on ArmA III.

I don't know if I already talk it to you, but I finished and still optimising mods that permit to have realistic names and correct usage of suppressors and magazines on base and modded weapons.

For example, reducing the number of suppressors and just using thoses who correctly fit to each weapons, and avoiding to use 30 rounds mags on light machineguns that only have 100/200/300 rounds boxes on the models to keep realism intact.

I don't released them, or more exactly just stop released them, because of non respect with my terms of releasing.

So you can't find them anywhere, but if you want I can send you these files.

If you like, I can try to apply your scopes models to existing scopes in base weapons for example. Like that, you can have a preview of what your mod can give to the community if you want to make a replacement scope for vanilla and/or modded ones.

Let me know if you want to, I don't know how to do actually but I can try.

See you !

• Like 1

Hahhahaah, now gameplaying means testing dagger scopes hahahahaah. You know, my friends did the same and we have not played that first night.

Well, changing light amplification in some scopes might be easy, so you got a good point. I´ll consider that.

I have also chosen some candidates for ffp, mainly the most powerful ones. In this case I might start with only 2 zoom powers, the highest and the lowest, what do you tink?

And I´ve found a bug on the scopes with clip-on night vision sights: their maximum zoom power was set like the main scope power, while it should be limited by the clip-on sight, which is 12x for the PVS-29, and 10x for the PAS-13. Or, if you might like to discuss that matter you can PM me.

Since the reticles used in the PVS-29 as clip-on sight will be the same used in the upcoming PAS-13 used as clip-on too, I plan on creating the 3rd magnification power, for the chosen scopes, as being 10x for both the PVS-29 and the PAS-13. What do you say?

Previews look great. That's pretty much what I was thinking of for the Enfield No. 32 scope and I would think the Colt 4x20, some of the Nam-era scopes and possibly the Hensoldt. Good thinking with the clip-on scopes 10x seems just about right. My sniper friend was also wondering if it was possible to increase the elevation adjustment on some of the higher powered scopes (ends at 20.0 for most of them I think). I don't have his exact data, but I believe he was either working with the Mar-10/Noreen Bad News .338 Lapua. Anyways I think he was using one of the higher powered Night Force scopes and he basically "ran out of scope" at around 1500m or so. I think he was still able to shoot out to around 1800m or so with the reticle, but he figures if he had 30 clicks instead of 20 he'd be able to accurately put rounds on target at around 2400m or so. The only other thing though, I really couldn't tell you how many clicks an actual high power NF scope would have so its possible we're just overlooking the realism. I'll see if I can get him to post on here he could probably explain it better.

• Like 1

@Hey Irvin,

About the light amplification / lens cover

I´ve made these without the feature:

-Dagger_35x_No4.p3d (WWII Enfield No.4 3.5x)

-Dagger_4x_Duplex.p3d (Colt 4x duplex scope)

-Dagger_9x_AccuRange.p3d (Redfield USMC Vietnam Era Accu-Range 3-9x40 scope)

I was in doubt about these, so I´ve left them with the light amplification:

-Dagger_4x_M1.p3d (Zeiss Hensoldt 4x24 M1 scope), because it seems there are some "modernized" versions of this scope.

-Dagger_4x_POSP.p3d (POSP 4x), because I don´t know much about Eastern scopes, but remember I´m using the modern ones, with reticle illumination.

-Dagger_4x_PSO.p3d (PSO 4x), because the same.

-Dagger_4x_PSO1M2.p3d (PSO 4x), because the same.

Dagger_9x_ART2.p3d (Leatherwood ART II 3-9x), I don´t know how innovative they were back in time.

About the turret elevation

Yeah, I´ve just forgot to assign real life values because I was mainly concerned about porting them from A2 to A3. Now that I´ve done that, I can rollover to phase 2 and use the elevation values in the manual. I´ll have to figure out how to do that in A3 though.

And remember, for extra MIL´s, you can always increase you zero range and also use hold overs with less zoom power.

@Hey Ghost, how are you?

Thank you man.

Nice ideas. Unfortunately I have already assigned different 3D models to my scopes, as suggested here at the forum. Just await a bit for the next release as I gather a few more suggestions like this one from Irvin.

class rhs_acc_pso1m2: rhs_acc_sniper_base {
    ACE_ScopeAdjust_Vertical[] = { 0, 0 };
    ACE_ScopeAdjust_Horizontal[] = { -10, 10 };
    ACE_ScopeAdjust_VerticalIncrement = 0.0;
    ACE_ScopeAdjust_HorizontalIncrement = 0.5;
};

that's how PSO-1m2 is done in ACE3 compatibility patch for RHS. You're unable to adjust vertical turret, you can adjust horizontal for windage with 0.5 step and -10 to +10 range.

• Like 1

Are them in Russian, USMC, NATO, or Swedish MIL´s? or MOA´s?

Or the Advanced ballistics overhauls everything and imposes one of these to every scope?

Thank You for your rapid response @Dagger, These reticles are most definitely on-point and have definitely carried the torch from A2! 

• Like 1

Are them in Russian, USMC, NATO, or Swedish MIL´s? or MOA´s?

Or the Advanced ballistics overhauls everything and imposes one of these to every scope?

milliradians

I believe your scopes inherited these configs from vanilla DMS scope if you didn't put them in there manually. If you want to configure these values you're going to have to do that.

It doesn't add the configs to every scope, that's why there is a compatibility patch - to add this functionality for modded scopes.

Coming back to your illuminated reticles - I've noticed it's currently working by pressing + once again while in 32x. Don't you think switching it over for "N" (nightvision key) would be better? This way you could have illuminated reticle even in 8x zoom steps :)

I like the yellowish tint, nice.

Are these scope textures (reticules) meant to be a modders resource or something?

They are really awesome, :)  defintley the best scopes i've seen done in arma, really enjoyable to use, but they are all using the DMS model, is that just a placeholder for now or is the intent for other mods with custom models to start using the scope view textures (or whatever is called sorry) you've made?

Are these scope textures (reticules) meant to be a modders resource or something?

Thank you miketim, but unfortunately not!

They are my scopes in my mod for Arma 3 only. They are not offered to anyone as resource or anything possibly related. No one is authorized to use them anywhere, unless with my authorization.

You can use them in you mods if you like, but you will have to ask me like other people do, ok?

Coming back to your illuminated reticles - I've noticed it's currently working by pressing + once again while in 32x. Don't you think switching it over for "N" (nightvision key) would be better? This way you could have illuminated reticle even in 8x zoom steps :)

I like the yellowish tint, nice.

Not easy to do that because the illumination is not a light that turns on and illuminates the reticle. The illuminated reticle is an additional .p3d retextured by me to look as if it is illuminated. So, in order for us to have illuminated scopes at lesser zoom power requires me to do additional scopes, which is something is not going to happen, since I don´t have time available.

I believe your scopes inherited these configs from vanilla DMS scope if you didn't put them in there manually. If you want to configure these values you're going to have to do that.

OK, fixed that. Just wait for the next release.

Any other suggestion?

Not easy to do that because the illumination is not a light that turns on and illuminates the reticle. The illuminated reticle is an additional .p3d retextured by me to look as if it is illuminated. So, in order for us to have illuminated scopes at lesser zoom power requires me to do additional scopes, which is something is not going to happen, since I don´t have time available.

I see. Somehow they got it working in some RHS scopes (for example their RPG sight - while pressing N the reticle gets illuminated) - don't know about the variable zoom scopes though.

OK, fixed that. Just wait for the next release.

Sure, I am :D

I just hope they'll remain ACE-compatible, if not by the inheritence then by your own settings of these parameters.

@Hey Irvin,

About the light amplification / lens cover

I´ve made these without the feature:

-Dagger_35x_No4.p3d (WWII Enfield No.4 3.5x)

-Dagger_4x_Duplex.p3d (Colt 4x duplex scope)

-Dagger_9x_AccuRange.p3d (Redfield USMC Vietnam Era Accu-Range 3-9x40 scope)

I was in doubt about these, so I´ve left them with the light amplification:

-Dagger_4x_M1.p3d (Zeiss Hensoldt 4x24 M1 scope), because it seems there are some "modernized" versions of this scope.

-Dagger_4x_POSP.p3d (POSP 4x), because I don´t know much about Eastern scopes, but remember I´m using the modern ones, with reticle illumination.

-Dagger_4x_PSO.p3d (PSO 4x), because the same.

-Dagger_4x_PSO1M2.p3d (PSO 4x), because the same.

Dagger_9x_ART2.p3d (Leatherwood ART II 3-9x), I don´t know how innovative they were back in time.

About the turret elevation

Yeah, I´ve just forgot to assign real life values because I was mainly concerned about porting them from A2 to A3. Now that I´ve done that, I can rollover to phase 2 and use the elevation values in the manual. I´ll have to figure out how to do that in A3 though.

And remember, for extra MIL´s, you can always increase you zero range and also use hold overs with less zoom power.

@Hey Ghost, how are you?

Thank you man.

Nice ideas. Unfortunately I have already assigned different 3D models to my scopes, as suggested here at the forum. Just await a bit for the next release as I gather a few more suggestions like this one from Irvin.

Yeah its quite true that there are more modern versions of the Hensoldt and PSO. I'm not really sure on the Leatherwood ART either, but to the best of my knowledge despite how crude it is today, the Starlight scope was rather well received and used by the USMC and US Army on the M14 and M21 for use in low-light conditions. Good point about adjusting the zero I'll have to ask my friend if he's been trying that. 

Also I have a few interesting ideas for scopes / reticles I wanted to share with you. Please don't think of this as a request but more as a topic of conversation. Maybe it comes from growing up watching so many 70s and 80s movies but I'm sort of a fan of some of the older stuff. I think a good candidate for addition to your pack would be the Colt 3x20 which as far as I know uses the same reticle as the 4x20 you already have. Something else that I would love to see but would probably be a bit of a challenge would be an old-style Single Point Red-dot like the Armson OEG, I wonder if it could be accomplished by inverting the light amplification to somehow make what you see through the scope appear darker to simulate the black background of the occluder. Another old scope that few have heard of but is apparently quite prized by collectors is the Leitz Canada Sniper Scope, the progenitor to the modern ELCAN (Ernst Leitz Canada) which was used on the C1A1 (Canadian version of the FN FAL). I only have one found one rather poor picture of the reticle but you can see the similarities between it and the later ELCAN C79. Lastly, getting a bit more up to date, some of the newer Trijicon products (TARS and VCOG) I think would be great candidates for ffp scopes. Last but not least, my friend's favorite reticle is the NF MOAR pattern but I believe you already have something from Night Force that is quite close. 

OK, I´ve made the old ones in fact a bit darker. I have also included additional reticles to the starlight and it is great now, you should try it. Both AN/PVS-4 and AN/PAS-13 carry very cool different reticles inside, and I strongly suggest you to try them. The first one will be available on the next relese.

About the new Trijicons and the 3x Colt I´ll consider them on future releases.

About the others I could not find good reticle pictures. Do you have any?

OK, I´ve made the old ones in fact a bit darker. I have also included additional reticles to the starlight and it is great now, you should try it. Both AN/PVS-4 and AN/PAS-13 carry very cool different reticles inside, and I strongly suggest you to try them. The first one will be available on the next relese.

About the new Trijicons and the 3x Colt I´ll consider them on future releases.

About the others I could not find good reticle pictures. Do you have any?

I wish I had some that were good. Here's the only picture I've ever found of the Leitz reticle /9bottom right). http://www.mycity-military.com/slika.php?slika=111839_61154037_FAL_ScopeC1Canada.jpg

You can sort of see the family resemblance to the C79 reticle (http://ext.pimg.tw/nekosp/1201211267.jpg) although without the range finding line or the tritium element.

As for the OEG, here's the closest I've seen http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_j612DZCPAyE/TDHUts1K43I/AAAAAAAAADg/zeRl51sLU1o/s1600/SingPtSightPicture.jpg The actual sight picture would be perceived as something similar to this when aiming with both eyes.

http://loungecdn.luckygunner.com/lounge/media/OE-simulation.jpg

This concept was the basis for what became the ACOG scope. Really interesting history, they were used by some of the Son Tay Raiders, and were bleeding edge back then. As I understand it though they had their peculiarities, you could only aim and hold a target for a split second before the dot would "wander off" once your brain fully focused on the occluder but the main reason they were used in the first place was to improve first shot accuracy vs an Iron sight. Some of the later ones (probably early 80s) had tritium vials. 

NF MOAR

http://nightforceoptics.com/sites/default/files/styles/default-image/public/MOAR_30MOA.png?itok=cZplBfRI

• Like 1

Nice,

The Canadian and the old elcan will be easy to do. I´ll add them with darkened glass. Do you know the size in MIL´s of the stadia lines? Or at least know what they are meant to measure at what distance? I mean, it must be something like measuring a tank in front view at 600 meters, or a soldier´s torso at 300 meters, or bla bla bla?

You already have the the OEG red dot, with another name. I know I´ve done this red dot but I don´t remember the name, I´m not home now. Please, just try all dagger scopes and you will find it. The same for the donut one, I remember this one as the magnified eotech, try it and you will find I have textured it exactly as scope, with full steel round body and stuff, instead of a square eotech.

And finaly the MOAR, I´ve done its MIL counterpart, which is the same scope but in MIL´s.

Nice,

The Canadian and the old elcan will be easy to do. I´ll add them with darkened glass. Do you know the size in MIL´s of the stadia lines? Or at least know what they are meant to measure at what distance? I mean, it must be something like measuring a tank in front view at 600 meters, or a soldier´s torso at 300 meters, or bla bla bla?

You already have the the OEG red dot, with another name. I know I´ve done this red dot but I don´t remember the name, I´m not home now. Please, just try all dagger scopes and you will find it. The same for the donut one, I remember this one as the magnified eotech, try it and you will find I have textured it exactly as scope, with full steel round body and stuff, instead of a square eotech.

And finaly the MOAR, I´ve done its MIL counterpart, which is the same scope but in MIL´s.

On the Elcan C79 the horizontal stadia are 10 mils across, not sure if that's true on the old Leitz. Here's a user's manual for the ELCAN C79 from the manufacturer http://www.nordicmarksman.com/kz-content/images/pages/files/ELCAN%203_4x%20User%20Manual.pdfreticle is on page 4. On the C79, to the best of my recollection, the "ranging line" which is to the lower left is meant to be measured against an average man's height 180cm I beleive. If the line cuts him in half he's at 300m and if he fits between the two lines he's at 600m, I may be wrong about this an it may be 500m / 1000m. Also in the picture it looks like the reticle for the Leitz is offset to the right, I am not sure if this is really the case or just how the picture was taken. Other than reading of some accounts of some guys liking the Leitz as one of the better scopes for the FAL at the time (vs Trilux, Hensoldt and others, none of which were officially used by Canada) I have very little to go on. It was used very sparingly and mostly shelved by the 70s when the Canadian Army got their first C3 sniper rifles. 

Yes I may have overlooked the red dot, I remember seeing one on there but I believe I just assumed it was an Aimpoint. Thanks.

• Like 1

Wow, Elcan looks great! The only thing I would add is that in military use they contain a tritium element at the triangular tip of the reticle post, but this is removed for civilian and I believe Law Enforcement use as well, so I think its fine.

I'll try to get you whatever info I can drag up on the Leitz C1. Its 4x and has a BDC ring (to the rear) which is adjustable from 100-1000 yards (so no precise mil / MOA adjustment). The front ring I believe was for windage and I think went 5 mils either way, but I am unsure. Also I would take a guess that the stadia are also 5 mils but i may be wrong. As far as ranging goes I'm going to guess that its done by comparing the target to the thickness of the post, although I could only speculate the scale (the post is as thick as a man at x00 yards / meters). I actually just ordered a book on Canadian Sniper Equipment so I should be able to tell you more when it arrives. Don't worry, I've been wanting to get this book for some time, this just gives me an excuse. 

Good, researching is always good!

Still on the C79, do you know what portion of the pole is illuminated by tritium, red I guess? I mean, is it only the triangle? Or, is it the triangle plus a portion of the pole? Like twice the triangle´s height?

The C79 manual does not say anything about the pole´s thickness, is it supposed to be a man´s breast at ???? meters/yards?

Good, researching is always good!

Still on the C79, do you know what portion of the pole is illuminated by tritium, red I guess? I mean, is it only the triangle? Or, is it the triangle plus a portion of the pole? Like twice the triangle´s height?

The C79 manual does not say anything about the pole´s thickness, is it supposed to be a man´s breast at ???? meters/yards?

The tritium used in the C79 is green as far as I know, and it should be just the triangle which is illuminated. Also, this is just off the top of my head but I think the post should hide a man at 300m.

Also, I wanted to mention another idea that I sort of got based on looking at your scopes. I don't think this will be easy in any way, because you'd have to somehow get the ballistics to line up, but it might be really interesting to adapt some of the BDC type reticles to different calibers, like what you've already done with the ELCAN Spectre DR in both 5.56 and 7.62. Mainly I'm talking about some of the mod-guns that are out there which use .300 BLK, 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel.

One of the big reasons we don't typically use .300 BLK is because of the severe drop past 300m, no BDCs line up with it, and its pretty impractical to pull out a range card and make adjustments for 400-500m shots. If the enemy is this close there's probably a good chance you're exchanging fire and you probably aren't going to have time to spin those dials. The biggest problem again is cross-mod compatibility, what one mod-maker thinks a .300 BLK should perform like may be different than the next and you do open yourself up to all kinds of inconsistencies but I thought it was worth mentioning.

On the other hand though, you may be able to get it to match up quite well with something common like ACE 3 advanced ballistics. Also, as far as I know, these types of inconsistencies are things that you have to watch out for when you are choosing a scope, a BDC reticle designed to be used with a 14.5 barrel shooting 55 grain bullets is going to be a bit off if you put it on something with an 18 inch barrel that's shooting 77 grain and so on. 

Yes, you are right about everything. That´s why I´ve done Dagger Ballistics hahahahahahah!

Yes, you are right about everything. That´s why I´ve done Dagger Ballistics hahahahahahah!

Oh yeah that's right, I knew you had done that for A2, didn't know you were also doing it up for A3. Sounds great.

All right,

Here is the FFP news through an H37...

2e58k7a.jpg

1zx1w86.jpg

1h47px.jpg

and more...

2z8qcmt.jpg

not to mention the clip-on thermals...

2ccmmmf.jpg

• Like 1