Sign in to follow this  
kenoxite

[Resource] Public domain voice pack (male and female)

Kenney just released a public domain voice pack. It consists of 46 voice snippets, both male and female,  in ogg format.

It includes the following:

• war_watch_my_back
  • war_target_engaged
  • war_target_destroyed
  • war_suppressing_fire
  • war_sniper
  • war_rpg
  • war_reloading
  • war_medic
  • war_look_out
  • war_go_go_go
  • war_get_down
  • war_fire_in_the_hole
  • war_cover_me
  • war_call_for_backup

More info and download links: http://www.kenney.nl/assets/voiceover-pack

--

And the voices pbofied for OFP/CWA:

Just drag and drop the @kenneyvoices folder to your OFP or CWA folder and add @kenneyvoices to a new or existing shortcut.

Included there's a text file with all the classes of the new voices. I've set their volume to the one the default OFP voices use. They are also avaliable in the Voices and Anonymous lists of trigger sounds, with the prefix: Kenney/Male/ and Kenney/Female/

Feel free to check it out and report anything wrong you find there.

Forgot to mention that I'm also releasing this as Public Domain. So feel free to do whatever you want with all this.

• Like 3

This is wonderful. I can think of a few ways to put this to good use ... Thanks for sharing!

I can think of a few ways to put this to good use ...

Which makes me think we should create a single pbo with all those new voices and store it somewhere we can all access.

That is to avoid several modders or mission makers creating several versions of the same voices, which is a mess from an user/player POV.

In fact, I think this is something krzychuzozechukekia (I'll never learn your nick) would love to do! :wink wink etc:

Or whoever is willing, really.

--

Who am I kidding. I know I'll do it myself.

Ah, well, since You've mentioned me by the name...

But not earlier than next week (I've got real life, ya know?) :P

EDIT: Call me Chris.

Ah, well, since You've mentioned me by the name...

But not earlier than next week (I've got real life, ya know?) :P

EDIT: Call me Chris.

OK, krzy.

But you're too slow. It took me barely an hour to pack and publish that pbo.

First post updated with download link and such.

Oh, how cool...

BTW: I don't quite get the difference, but I thought that in OFP it is better to convert sounds to .wss format. .ogg is said to give lower performance (as it is converted on the fly to uncompressed PCM). Is it really that important (most of the addons seem to use .ogg)?

BTW: I don't quite get the difference, but I thought that in OFP it is better to convert sounds to .wss format. .ogg is said to give lower performance (as it is converted on the fly to uncompressed PCM). Is it really that important (most of the addons seem to use .ogg)?

According to Zayfod WSS is more performance friendly. No mention of the margin other than "extensive tests" were done, so it might be from 1% up to 90% performance increase for all I know. Here's another old thread dealing with this, but this actually refer to the previous thread and doesn't provide much insight on its own.

My guess is that witch such small ogg files the difference must be pretty small. It might become significant for sounds that are played very often (like gun shots), but less so for the rest (such as the occasional voice). It looks like a case similar to the the jpg vs paa one.

An early (the one i had released when we made the DMA release day) version of the m202a1 that i had reworked in look and script for WW4 , used originally an OGG file for one of the sound effect.

While neither me or some friends that were using it could reproduce, a few people that were using the addon were crashing when they were shooting with it.

Replacing the OGG by a WSS fixed it for them.

An early (the one i had released when we made the DMA release day) version of the m202a1 that i had reworked in look and script for WW4 , used originally an OGG file for one of the sound effect.

While neither me or some friends that were using it could reproduce, a few people that were using the addon were crashing when they were shooting with it.

Replacing the OGG by a WSS fixed it for them.

That was probably too many oggs playing at once or sequentially for those processors to properly process the conversion to wav that is done by the OFP engine.

But I still don't think this should be an issue with the voices, unless for some reason someone plays a ton of them at once. Which isn't something advised in OFP in general, as too many sounds quickly fill the "sound queue" and OFP just skips any sound that overflows that quota (sometimes some sounds aren't played, and that seems to be the reason).

Anyway, if there's a real worry about this ogg format the sounds could be changed to wss. But I'm afraid that's a task for someone else to deal with :)

Music and Voices should be OK with OGG, but for explosion/shots/rockets/everything "dynamic" in gameplay , WSS should be prefered.