Hi.

Would it be possible to create a visible laser like this? If so, how?

greenlaser2.jpg

Thanks.

EDIT: If the beam is impossible, then how do you at least get the point where it hits?

I am pretty sure this is possible, like if you look in NV with a laser on a gun. the beam is shown from start to end....

there could be some config that prevents such laser to be seen without NV goggles. This could be a way to show a laser as you are looking for.

just an idea that popped into my head (if its possible) a super long tracer bullet that lasts for a very long time or until user/player clicks to turn it off or something 

I think making it work as a flashlight might work, but I haven't gotten it to work yet.

Flashlight has different logic i think and is too light and disperces too much to make ti perfectly visible during the day, ill see what i can find tomorrow

i was kinda thinking of makeing a bullet with a super long tracer that does no damage, but that wouldnt last longer, 

i think taking laser logic and seeing if there is a (visible in NV / daylight) would be the best option

AFAIK it's not possible to do it in a simple way since the IR laser model used is hardcoded to the way that laser attachments are simulated. There aren't any config parameters attributed to the beam itself so it appears the game must always apply the same model to an attachment with irLaserPos memory point, because it's told to do so at the engine level.

On real life visible lasers though, all you can really see with your eyes is the laser point that's projected on whatever you're aiming at. One can only see the beam if there's a lot of smoke or dust in the air that reflects the beam before it hits a wall. NVGs make lasers more visible because they are more sensitive to low levels of light, so there doesn't need to be quite so much dense smoke and shite in the air.

I've seen a couple of people script fake visible laser dot points that are projected in a direction from the player's hand similar to how people used to do hand-held flashlights in OFP and Arma 1. IIRC ACE for Arma 3 has a visible laser attachment that does this.

It's possible however there are ALOT of bugs.

would be happy if you could share a bit more information about how you did and what problems occured.