Sign in to follow this  
Dave -OFPL-

Ban lists

Hi - Ive been experiencing a fair amount of idiots in the game, such as team killing your team straight away, and things like the old unlimited ammo, some fool just sat thier with his PK firing off for about 5 minutes. So Ive collected a "Ban List" I was wondering if any server admins have done a similar thing? If they have could they please send it me! I was thinking of setting up a site hosting the ID's of the players and where people can submit thier own banned players - The only problem being anyold bloke shouldnt be able to come along and submit an id to be banned because he doesnt like someone else so I was thinking about having a respectable board of banners - Anyone willing to give a hand?

SHoP's website has a banlist of people banned from Stoner's server. You can ask other admins about it. But make sure that info given to you is either by people you trust or are sure they are server admins. And not just someone pissed at someone else.

But essentally the only ID I know I would ban if I had a server is 6787. It's so common because it's been copied and pirated so much. I belive thats the case. On several occasions I've seen 3 people with 6787 on a server at the same time. And countless others I've seen two with it.

Just remember, something like this is very easy to abuse, like if a ban list webmaster/moderator has a grudge against someone who has done nothing wrong... confused.gif

Doesn't bother me, I'm strictly co-op smile.gif

I´ve seen 3 poeple with this ID: 3165452.

Storm : 3165452

Samson : 3165452

Chipushistik : 3165452

If say 3 brothers have the game installed on their computer, they each have their own username, will it give them each a unique ID or would all 3 have the same ID?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Oct. 14 2002,18:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If say 3 brothers have the game installed on their computer, they each have their own username, will it give them each a unique ID or would all 3 have the same ID?<span id='postcolor'>

If they use the same cdkey they will have the same ID.

So people who play legitimately could be getting banned unfairly, that's a definite cause for concern.

Hardly seems fair some people get to nominate others as "cheats" to be banned with little or no supporting evidence.

I'm not calling anyone a liar, but something like this is just so open to abuse and for people to settle personal vendettas. confused.gif

It's a good idea, but i think thats about it, only good as an idea. Something like this could very easily be abused by people holding a grudge against someone else for reasons other than in-game cheating.

I didnt say you should ban those IDs I posted. Im pretty sure I have seen several players on teh same server with that ID so if you see it just check if someone else on the server has it too, its noot often you check if there are more then one of every ID...

Just found a screenshot of 2 people with teh same ID that I had forgot about.

Screenshot

Edit:

They were oth respawnkilling if anyone cares wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Oct. 14 2002,11:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If say 3 brothers have the game installed on their computer, they each have their own username, will it give them each a unique ID or would all 3 have the same ID?<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Oct. 14 2002,11:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So people who play legitimately could be getting banned unfairly, that's a definite cause for concern.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually each person playing should have their own CD (legally). So even if it were 3 brothers sharing a CD they are doing so wrongly. So not a real concern... IMO.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Oct. 14 2002,17:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So people who play legitimately could be getting banned unfairly, that's a definite cause for concern.<span id='postcolor'>

I agree. But that 6787 ID. Damn thats pirated so bad. I've seen a good hundred people with it.

As long as you have got the Ids from someone that knows what they are doing and arent going to just ban any player they dont like, surely their wont be too much of a problem.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BigQEd @ Oct. 15 2002,00:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Oct. 14 2002,11:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If say 3 brothers have the game installed on their computer, they each have their own username, will it give them each a unique ID or would all 3 have the same ID?<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Oct. 14 2002,11:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So people who play legitimately could be getting banned unfairly, that's a definite cause for concern.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually each person playing should have their own CD (legally). So even if it were 3 brothers sharing a CD they are doing so wrongly. So not a real concern... IMO.<span id='postcolor'>

before I start: I dont have any brother. my friend comes over and uses my computer, and uses my cd while I am not so he can play at times and we have different names, but I would guess same id. so if I came to ur server often and then my friend would come at another time (while I am not on obviously) and u would remember about the id, u would ban my id?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BigQEd @ Oct. 14 2002,23:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Actually each person playing should have their own CD (legally). So even if it were 3 brothers sharing a CD they are doing so wrongly. So not a real concern... IMO.<span id='postcolor'>

If they want to play at the same time yes, but legally are they not allowed to pay 1/3 each and for arguments sake get to play it 2 days a week with Sunday to rest?

I know it's all getting into semantics now but I figured as long as they're not all playing with the same cd at the same time they're entitled to share it smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ale2999 @ Oct. 14 2002,19:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">before I start:  I dont have any brother. my friend comes over and uses my computer, and uses my cd while I am not so he can play at times and we have different names, but I would guess same id. so if I came to ur server often and then my friend would come at another time (while I am not on obviously) and u would remember about the id, u would ban my id?<span id='postcolor'>

No, not unless they were being used at the same time.

I agree with fubar and winters this could lead to inocent people being banned from lotsa servers simply bc they were better or they beat the host team badly. Ive been called a cheat by beatin a n00b severely id hate to be banned from all these servers.

Just my opinion.

Kevin

well maybe the think that should be done is that the admins check this ids, and put those ppl under sever scrutiny before banning those ppl from their server as well.

Just yesterday I got kicked off from one server before I was even logged in. Didn't think too much about that but now that you've mentioned it:

Is it possible that my ID is banned in that server ?

I ask this because I have no idea why it would be so...

Things would be a lot simpler if the game was designed so that identical IDs couldn't join the same server, instead of inflicting FADE on everyone playing.

I had filtered out servers with passwords.

Only thing I can say for sure is that it was v 1.85 server.

Probably located in UK...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Oct. 14 2002,17:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So people who play legitimately could be getting banned unfairly, that's a definite cause for concern.<span id='postcolor'>

I don't see that as a cause for concern - there is always one person who bought the game and who has the responsibility for what is happening with his game and who uses it. If it's a bunch of brothers who bought the game together it's a shared responsibility. If the one(s) responsible for the game installation can't sufficiently control who is (ab)using his/their game, I recommend to password the computer it's installed on.

If its one of the owners that caused the ban, well, bad luck. Make the idiot pay for a new license so the others can continue to play, or try to talk to the admins and ensure the offender won't have access to the game anymore.

Public ban lists on the other hand are a bad idea - it is ok if people that know and trust each other share some user ids (the two servers I frequent mainly do that sometimes - but then the admins all know each other well), but I would never trust a stranger with something like that. It takes away the chance for the offender (or others sharing legally the same UID) to get the ban lifted by talking to the server admin. They would be able to talk to the server they have been banned on, but how to find all the servers, that banned the ID just because it was listed in a thread like this?

How could the admin putting the name on the list REMOVE it after others have already added it to their own lists? How to explain/'ask for mercy' if an admin doesn't know WHY you have een put on the ban list? Was it because of duplicate IDs (maybe you have a second license now?), because of a bad day ('hey I'm really sorry - GF left me that day, won't happen again' ) or because the admin putting the ID on the list just hated that player?