This addon requires CBA_A3

What does it do and why?
It's a simple mod that adjusts your objectViewDistance dynamically, based on your current field of view.

I was frustrated that I had to manually readjust my objectViewDistance when I wanted to observe something that was far away.

Note: hint in the top-right part of the screen in the video is just a debugging tool, you won't see it in game.

How does it work?
It analyzes your current zoom level and adjusts the objectViewDistance based on it. Default zoom (0.933...) is going to render your default objectViewDistance setting, while focused eyesight (default hold right mouse button, 2.8 zoom) is going to increase it a bit, etc.

The effect maxes out by setting your objectViewDistance as high as your viewDistance setting is while the zoom reaches 34.98x (12x in-game - default binoculars at full zoom).
That means you can see stuff that is really, really far away, which is useful if you're doing anything that requires this perk, be it long ringe sniping or tank-on-tank combat.

Transition is as sharp as you want it to be. It's going to be very mild if your oVD is ~= to your total vD, it's going to be very sharp if your oVD is << than your vD.

Worried of FPS drops?
You shouldn't be. The way ArmA processes objects rendering is related to your FoV. High zoom equals narrow FoV, so despite your objectViewDistance being set as high as your total viewDistance setting is, you shouldn't encounter noticeable framedrops. It goes back to normal when you leave zoomed-in view.
I haven't noticed any FPS drops (matter of fact, I've encountered an increase while in optics), but weaker PC platforms *might* encounter FPS drops, especially when the LODs are changing, or when leaving the zoomed in view.

Disclaimers
This mod is released as-is. I've made it mostly for myself, but I might update it at my own convenience. I have some plans for it, but I can't promise I'll update it regularly.

Known issues
- cannot edit oVD while in-game, only in menu
- oVD setting is stuck at the set level after closing your game while in zoom (dying and then closing should work just fine)

Released under GNU-GPL license.

Mirrors:
Steam Workshop
Armaholic

WithSix

• Like 6

Sounds very interesting!

As soon as it's available on other services than SW I'll be sure to test it out :D

Great idea. Its so simple, I wonder why its not build in the engine.

That's pretty great. I remember it being "asked" several times even before Arma3 got into early access, must be low priority for BiS I guess.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

news_download_a3_3.png

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. Soon we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Very interesting addon for low FPS machines!  Hope you will find a solution to unlock ovD in game.

Looking very promising. Was able to see guys over 5clicks away with 60 FPS.

Loving it.

Anyway to do something clever when in towns... i.e. reduce Ovd when in the middle of big urban areas ? That would be an AMAZING feature

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

news_download_a3_3.png

Mk 1 eyeballs v1.0

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. Soon we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Anyway to do something clever when in towns... i.e. reduce Ovd when in the middle of big urban areas ? That would be an AMAZING feature

Good idea. To be honest that's also why I made the mod; I don't know about the additional functionality tho, it might be introduced to some newer versions. I was also thinking about planes, since you get really low FPS while flying low and fast.

If you set your base oVD low enough you can just stop worrying about FPS in cities. Played with that mod on Fallujah, in Kavala - I was happy as never before.

really well done

• Like 1

I've tried it, I've liked it and I approve it. This is now a must have addon for all ArmA 3 players. 

Was looking for a way to adjust VOF while flying.  Giving this a try now!  I know ACE offers different settings for VOF but no in SP!  ;)

Hey Arkhir! Would you mind setting up a play withsix mirror?

Edit: You allready did and I was too stupid to find it ;)

Umm yeah, wasn't me who uploaded it, it's the good people who run these mod aggregators B)

Fantastic, would love to see this implemented in the core game, works a charm!

Actually is does nothing for me. All I noticed was that I was stuck with 3000m oVD.

Awesome. This shouldn't be a mod- it should be in the main game.

Actually is does nothing for me. All I noticed was that I was stuck with 3000m oVD.

Probably your ratio between VD and oVD is the cause.

Well, currently I have my oVD to 1000m and my View Distance to 6500m. Now I see all objects close to me, but the objects further away than 1000m are not visible so I'm getting nice 60 FPS, where with 6500oVD I would probably get arround 15 FPS.

Now I take a sniper rifle with a high power optic and yeah, I see all objects thorugh the scope 6000m away -> with 60FPS (of course SP and not MP with all the server issues ;-) )

Hope it helps

• Like 1

Now I take a sniper rifle with a high power optic and yeah, I see all objects thorugh the scope 6000m away -> with 60FPS

Yup, and the only reason we're able to maintain high FPS with high draw distance is because BIS did a really good on rendering - ArmA III loads objects fully only if they are in (or near) your field of view.