Sign in to follow this  
dontknowhow

No man's sky. Huge procedurally generated universe

18 quin planets that 99.9999% of look the same. The rest of them will look unnatural. Big terms for marketing.

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/

18 quintillion planets. Not bad. But no word of a release date. Possibly next year

Yep, I'm looking forward to playing this. It was touted a while back that September this year was for release. But as we all know its game development and the rule is to be at least a few months if not years late. But here's hoping it isn't too long for release.

It is supposed to be going to pc at the same time as console now, whereas earlier it was said to be going to console first then followed later by pc. But I read somewhere they are doing both releases together. Although I'm not absolutely sure. I'll wait for pc version anyway.

18 quin planets that 99.9999% of look the same. The rest of them will look unnatural. Big terms for marketing.

Did you even bother to look at a video? There is not much around, but something from the E3, for example, looks enough to me:

An environment can have so much variation, so I would expect some planets to look at least similar. But you should at least give it a chance

Yep, I'm looking forward to playing this. It was touted a while back that September this year was for release. But as we all know its game development and the rule is to be at least a few months if not years late. But here's hoping it isn't too long for release.

It is supposed to be going to pc at the same time as console now, whereas earlier it was said to be going to console first then followed later by pc. But I read somewhere they are doing both releases together. Although I'm not absolutely sure. I'll wait for pc version anyway.

Yes, both releases at the same time. It's mentioned for example at the end of this article:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/no-mans-sky-gets-new-details-about-stars-natural-d/1100-6429371/

I read someone saying 2016, but the simple truth is that there is no date yet.

Oh look, no posts since last year. Welp, i've actually become quite entertained by this game, despite the fact it's super grindy. Though i think the majority of gamers wanted it to be Multiplayer and were quite displeased to find it didn't have the slightest hint og Multiplayer aside from the ability to upload information you've found in the vastness of this Universe, in the Eulicid Galexy. I've seen a staggering amount of hatred then pushed towards the game, and even the developers with even a large number of people claiming they were to pursue even legal suits against them. However, after reading various statements vi. the dev's, it's come to my attention, that all of this is truly unfair, or perhaps blatently over looked.

Now of course the Dev's had stated bizarre claims for their game over the years, such as "every molecule" being proceduraly generated, which is obviously impossible... But there are a massive number of things they got right. Economies throughout different Solar System's, Economies on planet's, and even Economic influence in individual interloper's and travelers trading systems. There's a Galactic market price for which all items go by price, which vary through out the Universe which you can play to make large amount of Units, the in game currency.

Planets, the Moons, and a large number of points of interest, while possible being very repetitive, are indeed proceduraly generated. No company, or developer has achieved such a massive feat, ever, and this is what shines. The foundation is there, and while some say it lacks many things, what the game does lack, are only what professionals would call "Extras", or other additions to the game that aren't key, or crucial components for the game to function. What Hello Games has done, is what almost every other indie team has failed to do for years now, at least in the "survival" Genre of games, which is a strong, solid foundation, with solid core mechanics.

There's things that have truly blown my mind. For example, the ability to dig up the ground. Yes, you can use the Plasma Grenade to essentially dig away at the surface of the planet. ANY planet, and moon, that is also proceduraly generated. But it doesn't stop there. Doing so on an extreme planet with harmful atmosphere's allows you to seek refuge from harsh weather conditions. THIS, is amazing. So if you don't have enough supplies, and you're ship is out of commission, you could survive and find the supplies you need in caves. You can even dig out trenches if you wanted.

What's next for No Man's Sky? Now that all the dust from extreme criticism has settled, i think it's safe to say that Hello Games are aiming for much bigger things, now that their foundation is down, solid, and massive. They've recently rolled out the much anticipated Patch 1, which was likely held back to gain full feedback from both PS4 and PC players, with even hints from Reddit that XBox may also get a release in the future. With those out of the way, the developers have even opened up a bit more on the more popular suggestions about No Man's Sky.

On Gamespot, they've shared a bit of insight into the future of No Man's Sky.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/no-mans-sky-pc-patch-out-now-ps4-coming-soon/1100-6442779/

There you can find most of the answers you seek about the game as of late, along with some much anticipated info regarding the satuts of things like Multiplayer, and new features, and a few statements i find are probably going to be controversial.

Murray has talked about adding new content like "the ability to build bases and own giant space freighters." He has also teased that major-sounding new features could come in the future.

"If you hoped for things like pvp multiplayer or city building, piloting freighters, or building civilizations… that isn't what NMS is," he said. "Over time it might become some of those things through updates."

So the future is bright for No Man's Sky. What do you guys think, and how could this shape the future for the Space and Survival Genre's? have you enjoyed the game so far? What are you major concerns, or wishes? 

Oh look, no posts since last year.

As far as I'm concerned I didn't post because I was disappointed. I read many negative reviews of people complaining about the many worlds being generated by basically the same graphic assets. Which, unfortunately, makes sense. So inlesco was right.

I clearly started the thread because I was impressed  by the idea of a huge procedurally generated universe. But if all these quintillion planets are all the same the game looks far less attractive.

As far as I'm concerned I didn't post because I was disappointed. I read many negative reviews of people complaining about the many worlds being generated by basically the same graphic assets. Which, unfortunately, makes sense. So inlesco was right.

I clearly started the thread because I was impressed  by the idea of a huge procedurally generated universe. But if all these quintillion planets are all the same the game looks far less attractive.

That may be true in regards to, of course, it's less attractive if the scale is indeed just repetitive in nature, it's still an amazing feat. So what does it take for future technology to implement a little more variety within the procedural generation? As far as i've experienced, most planets are different enough. But to be unique in each individual planet? That's going to take some kind of technological progress i don't even know of. Nonetheless, it's still just the foundation, and i think Hello Games worked on this foundation the most, and that's what they're most proud of, and now that it's solid, and in place, they can build on that, don't you think?

But to be unique in each individual planet? That's going to take some kind of technological progress i don't even know of.

Well it's not that they have to be really unique. But if I have the feeling that I always am in the same place I don't think this huge universe is really helpful.

I don't know how they could do procedural generation of the whole thing. Maybe fractal generation for plants? Random selection from a set of physical features to build animals?

they can build on that, don't you think?

Could be, yes. That doesn't make the current game a good game. Maybe the next version.

That, obviously, still considering the fact that I haven't played the game. But this repetitiveness seems confirmed basically by everybody.

Edit: oh, and it's also so expensive. I don't think they can ask that.

Well it's not that they have to be really unique. But if I have the feeling that I always am in the same place I don't think this huge universe is really helpful.

I don't know how they could do procedural generation of the whole thing. Maybe fractal generation for plants? Random selection from a set of physical features to build animals?

Could be, yes. That doesn't make the current game a good game. Maybe the next version.

That, obviously, still considering the fact that I haven't played the game. But this repetitiveness seems confirmed basically by everybody.

Edit: oh, and it's also so expensive. I don't think they can ask that.

True, i agree. I too think that it's a good game in terms of potential, but NOT good enough to be 60 bucks off the bat, even if they plan, or already had planned updates to add in cut features, or even new ones to give it that kick it had in the trailers.

I personally like it, and of course since i got my copy for my birthday (lol), i'll be following their progress as closely as i do Arma's.

I agree it does have potential, but I have a feeling it will be one of those games you play for 10 hours and then don't touch it again. It the problem some games are running into these days with the more powerful computing we have that design this vast area, but it doesn't have deep story or detail to keep you engaged and engrossed.

What I'd really like to know is if the missing features were pulled from release, or whether they never actually existed in the first place.

As i'd anticipated, No Man's Sky receives an update that brings in features hotly anticipated since launch. Since the game was a steady platform, it provided sound foundation to build upon. Here's a video i think sums up the whole thing.

This update brought back some players and boosted a bit positive reviews statistics on Steam (probably first time there's more positive than negative reviews daily). Still it would need yet another update or few to call NMS a successful game (hopefully). As for me, there was no hype, thus no disappointment really, so I still consider "release" as early access opening and I'm patiently await for true release of the complete game. What I love about NMS most is an innovation, it introduces into game design like probably no other game in years (I mean procedurally generated content on this scale in modern visual standard). Despite all this shitstorm around HG and NMS. 

Update is really great.

I really enjoy NMS, one of the most relaxing games around.. Not that I have many games. :P

The style fits nicely into my childhood sci-fi dreams.. so long ago.. :rolleyes:

So wow.. I come to this with a heavy heart..

The new update is great for the game.. Not so much for any players that played the game for the last year, the way the game was intended, or it seems that may have changed too.

They reset the game, when I say reset, its a partial reset But the reset took away the most important part for me... 'Exploration' and indeed some of the original art style..

All planets that I discovered.. are gone.. replaced with new planets and new names.

Dates have all gone, so not worth exploring this last year in NMS..

So disappointed.

Forced restart.. Not sure now... :(

Massively disappointed they went with the moaners and changed the game style from exploring to, well, not sure now. :eh:

Why explore, when they may just reset again a year down the road.. I expect it from Alpha or Beta games. But this was a fully released title...

:down:

Meh, exploration always did feel a little flat. Everywhere I went there were already drones and outposts - I wasn't exploring anything.

On 13/08/2017 at 3:44 PM, dmarkwick said:

Meh, exploration always did feel a little flat. Everywhere I went there were already drones and outposts - I wasn't exploring anything.

Not sure what that means..

People explore things that have already been seen or inhabited, the exploration is from your side i.e. its new to you..

__

Anyway with a little over 830 planets visited, of which 750'ish are gone (replaced I assume) following the last update, I've been back into NMS. The thing with this game is the beauty, if you like the art style.. Its changed a little and not for the better. But it is still a great game to get lost in. I ignore the new stuff they added and just potter around exploring. There are empty barren planets, but you will always find the sentinels, they're very easy to pot shot and cause very little frustration. Part of the game is to find out why they're there. Not that I'm really bothered they are, just nice to potter around.

Very few games have the freedom; space, planet surface, caves and underwater. Its still good, although somewhat less so than it was when released. Still, its worth going back too, very refreshing in fact.

I do wish they would have left it alone and just improved on the original concept rather than pander to moaning players. Unfortunately the moaners out numbered the few players that understood what they were buying. Nevermind.

Not sure what that means.

I understand him very well. Same problem here. It should be about genuine discovery; to go, where no one go before, to see, what no one saw before, devs included. But instead, as for the feeling,  it's rather about "tourism". One of the bigger cons of NMS. 

NMS is much better after last update, although personally I still wait for more updates, some crucial to me aspects still beg for a lot of attention (fauna "ecosystem" is a bad joke for example, a placeholder at best). 

22 minutes ago, Rydygier said:

I understand him very well. Same problem here. It should be about genuine discovery; to go, where no one go before, to see, what no one saw before, devs included. But instead, as for the feeling,  it's rather about "tourism". One of the bigger cons of NMS. 

NMS is much better after last update, although personally I still wait for more updates, some crucial to me aspects still beg for a lot of attention (fauna "ecosystem" is a bad joke for example, a placeholder at best). 

That isn't what exploration is..

Tribes have been found that we knew nothing of (IRL). Exploring was what found them, its not that they weren't there.

So many players just didn't get NMS, as in, understand what they were buying. That was the main problem. The game was going to be all about exploration, or mainly as SM originally said a few years back, very early on.

Of course they have made it mainstream friendly now, that is a great shame.

That isn't what exploration is..

Perhaps, just for me it's a shame, NMS is probably closest, yet still not that, I would love to experience in such kind of game. BTW It was closer to my ideal, when devs was talking about NMS during development, than it appeared to be after release. Casual sightseeing with some more or less weird distractions is not exactly what I'm dreaming about, yet close enough to make me dream. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chrisb said:

Not sure what that means..

People explore things that have already been seen or inhabited, the exploration is from your side i.e. its new to you..

When I heard about NMS a few years ago, and saw the initial screenshots, I was excited to imagine a colourful Chris Foss-esque universe of crashed interplanet ships, living ecosystems, and flourishing civilizations.

Was I over-hopeful? Maybe. But despite the downsizing of content do I feel like I'm exploring? No I do not. Everywhere I go everything looks different...... while looking the same. The assets are mostly spread with predictable evenness. Everywhere has robot security droids that reveal that all I'm doing is tourism. The only single mechanic that shows anything different is the recording of species, of which the entirety is known about already I just need to tick each box seemingly. The aliens I encounter are robotic mannequins with no discernible difference between species. I see like one or two at any time. Where are the cities? Where are the civilizations? Where are forests, deep oceans, continents, roads, areas of industry? Where is the food chain and the drama of nature, where is proof of animals conforming to their environment? Everywhere looks generically different. In that once you've seen 10 or 20 areas, you've basically seen pretty much what you will continue to see for as long as you play (future updates notwithstanding).

So yeah. Once I'd grimly moved myself across a few dozen planets, I quietly put this thing down. I didn't feel I was really doing anything.

All IMO natch :) I know some people really like it. One guy at work here really likes it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dmarkwick said:

When I heard about NMS a few years ago, and saw the initial screenshots, I was excited to imagine a colourful Chris Foss-esque universe of crashed interplanet ships, living ecosystems, and flourishing civilizations.

Was I over-hopeful? Maybe. But despite the downsizing of content do I feel like I'm exploring? No I do not. Everywhere I go everything looks different...... while looking the same. The assets are mostly spread with predictable evenness. Everywhere has robot security droids that reveal that all I'm doing is tourism. The only single mechanic that shows anything different is the recording of species, of which the entirety is known about already I just need to tick each box seemingly. The aliens I encounter are robotic mannequins with no discernible difference between species. I see like one or two at any time. Where are the cities? Where are the civilizations? Where are forests, deep oceans, continents, roads, areas of industry? Where is the food chain and the drama of nature, where is proof of animals conforming to their environment? Everywhere looks generically different. In that once you've seen 10 or 20 areas, you've basically seen pretty much what you will continue to see for as long as you play (future updates notwithstanding).

So yeah. Once I'd grimly moved myself across a few dozen planets, I quietly put this thing down. I didn't feel I was really doing anything.

All IMO natch :) I know some people really like it. One guy at work here really likes it.

I find it remarkable that I'm the first living thing to see these places, just adds to the enjoyment.

Also seeing what the PG comes up with, so varied, yes there is replication, but there is in life itself, so its to be expected. But the different landscapes I've seen are pretty incredible and a big plus in the gaming world and a credit to HG, for me at least.

But as you say, its each to their own..

Edit: and don't forget mods, of course. There are some very good ones out there.

• Like 1