sgtelis

setVariable if ai knowsAbout?

Hi!

So I am making a mission where blufor is hunting a independent and there is a lot of civilians around that should be able to spot the independent and if then a blufor comes and talk to them I want them to remember if they have spotted the independent or not.

So what I have been able to find out is that knowsAbout is something that can be used to determen if a character have seen someone or not however I can't figure out how to use it.

What I want it to do:

If a civilian spotts a independent a script is called, this script sets a variable in that specific civilian that sais he have spotted a independent.

The rest I want it to do I can fix my self.

(Btw, I know how to use set- and getVariable)

Thank you!

I guess it'd probably be simplest to loop allUnits. Execute this from your initServer.sqf:

// loop as long as TRUE is TRUE, = forever

while {TRUE} do {

{ // forEach block start

// _x is the magic variable referring to the currently selected forEach object
        if (side _x == civilian) then {

// you can use side with knowsAbout;
            // 4 is the maximum knowsAbout that is achieved pretty easily
            if (_x knowsAbout independent >= 4) then {

// script you want to call here
                _x setVariable ["knowsAboutIndependent", TRUE, TRUE];

};
        };

} forEach allUnits;

sleep 6; // wait a bit before looping again
};
How smart this is depends on how your mission is build. If a lot of CPU-intensive stuff is going on, instead of cycling through all units, you might want to cycle a premade array of civilians instead. Generally I doubt the loop will be a problem, though.

If you need help with something specific regarding this, ask ahead, it's a nice setup for a mission that people can probably help with.

• Like 1

hmm... I pasted it in initServer.sqf and put in some hints to see that it works. I can clearly see that it starts up however the hint that I put at the same place as the setVariable never shows up, aka he never "spotts" the independent even though I stand infront of the civ as a indep for a very long time. Even tried to lower the knowsAbout to 1.

Oh, sorry, I didn't realise that only the first parameter (the one whose knowsAbout is checked) can be a side, and the other has to be an object. Since you need to check each civilian individually, I guess it needs be two cycles through allUnits. And now it looks messy:

// loop as long as TRUE is TRUE, = forever

while {TRUE} do {

// get allUnits since it's used more than once
    _allUnits = allUnits;

{ // forEach block start

// _x is the magic variable referring to the currently selected forEach object
        _unit = _x;

if (side _unit == civilian) then {

{ // second forEach block start

if (side _x == independent) then {

// 4 is the maximum knowsAbout that is achieved pretty easily
                    if (_unit knowsAbout _x >= 4) then {

// script you want to call here
                       _unit setVariable ["knowsAboutIndependent", TRUE, TRUE];

};

};

} forEach _allUnits

};

} forEach _allUnits;

sleep 6; // wait a bit before looping again

};

I tried to check the impact on the performance with BIS_fnc_codePerformance, and it at least didn't seem to make a huge difference.

On another note, you might want to run the game with -showScriptErrors enabled, since with it you can get some visible hints on what's gone wrong with a script like this.

• Like 1

Thank you! Now it works perfectly! :D

Also, -showScriptErrors was super helpfull! I was wondering if there was a debug tool of some sort in arma and there it was! :D

Thank you again! :)