kenoxite

List of issues with the new forums engine

Tapatalk is planned and we will soon be testing it.

Superb, many thanks.

In fact, I can see it has already been activated although my user credentials are reported as incorrect. I've tried logging in using my prior forum username and my current Bohemia profile email address.

Is it currently locked for testing, or could I be doing something wrong?

Also, seems my account is similarly affected by the capitalisation issue a few posts above.

Thanks again for your time.

My username has now been modified without my knowledge. The "m" was capitalized as "M" before, now all of a sudden it's not. I did not make this change, I didn't authorize anyone to make this change, and I can't seem to find any sort of option to edit it to fix it. Disappointing my account is being modified apparently without being informed first and without any obvious ability to revert or change what someone else changed without my knowledge.

This issue is already known, reported, and hopefully being fixed. As you can see, my account was affected by this as well.

This issue is already known, reported, and hopefully being fixed. As you can see, my account was affected by this as well.

Hello,

The account system caused some usernames to become all lowercase. This issue is now fixed. If your username has become all lowercase, you can resolve this by:

1. After you log in visit account.bistudio.com
  2. Change your username in the top left corner
  3. Click on save changes in the bottom right corner
  4. Click on logout
  5. Go to forums.bistudio.com and also logout there.

After those steps, and after you login again, your username should now have the proper case that you saved it as.

Best regards,

BohemiaBeck

Does the reporting post even working? - i did reported few of those spam bots ,but it always returns to the same page like nothing happend

on previous forum , it always showed if the post been reported or not , atm with new forum there's no indication

Hello,

We will look into a better reply or indication that a report on a post was made. To answer your first question, yes reporting on a post does work.

If you do report on posts for breaking the rules, thank you for taking the time to do so. Your efforts in this area do help in the up-keep of the forums.

Best regards,

BohemiaBeck

Hello,

The account system caused some usernames to become all lowercase. This issue is now fixed. If your username has become all lowercase, you can resolve this by:

Looks like all is well, many thanks on the fix and reply.  ;)

Bugs and glitches:

• Links to latest posts are malformed for not logged in users. ....

Hello,

Once again, thank you kenoxite and everyone for taking time to report on issues and provide your feedback. I appreciate it and thank you for your patience.

I have taken the list that kenoxite has been maintaining and wanted to respond to each item. There are still some items outstanding and the web team is continuing to make improvements.

I made my text Aqua

Bugs and glitches:

1. Links to latest posts are malformed for not logged in users.

The web team had made some changes to the view latest content. I have since tested this with logged in user and non logged in. The non logged in user is not presented with the blue dot icon, indication of new unread content, so I was not presented with link when logged out.

2. Email notification isn't properly configured.

The web development team is investigating email notification functionality.

3. It's not possible to save drafts when the recipient has his/her PM bin full.

The private message's limit was increased for all users. There should now be more space for private messages.

4. Threads with polls light up as unread every time a vote is made.

The web development team is investigating the notification system for new/unread content and its trigger from additional poll votes.

5.  You can vote on your own threads. I mean, the stars at the top of a thread.

This is still the case, however using like button has been disabled for self posts. We will continue to evaluate the rate feature and its configuration.

- - -

Missing features:

Features that were present in the previous version of the forums that haven't been implemented in the new version yet.

1. Missing ability to set the amount of posts to be displayed per page.

There are certain forum system functions that rely on the counts being the same for link generation/resolution. We will continue to evaluate if we will be able to make this customizable per the user settings.

2. Missing badge display in posts for supporters. Currently badges are only displayed in the Profile page.

The web development team are continuing to evaluate the display of badges within the new design.

3. Missing the Community groups.

There were certain aspects of the groups in the old forums that were customized in a way that prevented a straight migration over to the new forums. The web team currently investigating a migration from the old forums.

4. Missing bottom panel showing server time, etc.

The web team are discussing the display of this info.

5. Smiley selection is way too limited. At least compared to the previous version.

Currently in the process of adding back in and testing all previous emoticons. They will be available again soon.

6. Missing ability to set format of time and date. To 24h, american date formatting, etc.

Selecting a timezone is available in your "My settings" page.

7. Missing ability to state a reason when displaying the "Edited by" text.

Indication and display of reason for Edit is on the list with the web team.

8. Missing ability to export PMs as xls. While the "Archive this conversation" feature might help with saving PMs (once email sending is fixed) it still seems quite limited compared to the ability to export as xls.

There is currently an issue with the Archive conversation feature. The web development team are looking into the issue and as email and xls.

9. Missing button to easily insert videos in posts.

This is available, when making a post, by clicking on the icon to the left of "Font". Hovering over the Icon, the alt text says "Special BBcode", click on it brings up a window with a drop down, in the drop-down select "Media", paste in, for example, a Youtube URL in the  "Media URL" box and hit OK. This will add the BBcode

TheUrl you put in

in the post.

10. Missing ability to easily create nested lists.

When creating a post, to create nested list, select the items and hit the "Increase indent" button near the text align buttons.

• test 1
  • test 2
    • test 3
    • test 4

11. Missing more forum layouts.

The web development team will be looking into theme options. Careful consideration is being made in the discussions on the UI and color use for BI web pages, and between different BI game titles.

Partially solved or unkown status issues:

1. Inconsistency in the number of the displayed page when browsing through page numbers.

Confirmed this issue soon after going live after the migration, but it was not consistent for repeat. Some of the data for forums pages were updated during that time.

Changes were made and issues were fixed with that data.

Have been testing for this over the past several days and I have not personally repeated it. Please let me know if there is a way to repeat this.

- - -

Suggestions and Inconsistent/Suboptimal behaviour:

1. You are directed to the main forums page whenever you log in.

Agree that you should stay on the page you are on, if you login on a page that is not the front page. The web team will be looking to change this.

2. Quote or multiquote isn't available in the "Reply with more options" or "Full editor" screen.

Fixed.

3. The Friends list doesn't seem to serve a purpose right now. One would imagine that they would work, among other things, as a "Contact list", so you can easily select any of them when creating a new PM. Yet, there's no link nor any other way to access your Friends when composing a PM.

Hover your mouse cursor over the username brings up the profile card of the user where you can select to message the user directly from there.

4. No inheritance in forums selected via "Filter by forum" in New Content. While not an issue per se, this isn't the behaviour I was personally expecting. I thought that by selecting the parent forum ("or subforums hub", such as the ARMA: COLD WAR ASSAULT / OPERATION FLASHPOINT one) all the children elements inherited that selection. Actually, you have to manually click every single subforum for this to work as (I) expected. If this behaviour stays, you could as well remove the parent ones, as selecting them does absolutely nothing and just confuses things.

Investigating this one.

5. uBlock must be disabled to proceed correctly through the login process

Several login issues have been resolved, but there may be more that need to be investigated and addressed like this one.

6. Font styles and link format bleed to the blank space after a word or line break. As in: underscore strikethrough link etc. It'd be preferred to contain all that to pages and have styles close after line breaks.

When editing the post, if there is content that you have written that contains the strike-through or other style, you can highlight that text and click on the eraser icon to remove the formatting.

7. The current forum layout uses way too much vertical space.

BI web pages including the forums will soon have updates done to the style of navigation and headers to reduce vertical space and to make it more compact. Some changes to vertical space on the forums have already changed.

8. Multiquote limit is inconsistent. While it allows you to multiquote a whole page (20 posts) you won't be able to post that unless you trim it to 10 or less quotes.

This issue has be logged and the web development team has been testing changes.

9. Search function doesn't allow common scripting/modding or military terms if they are under 4 characters. Such as sqf, sqs, COP, FOB, etc.

This is an issue and we are looking to resolve it. The web development team is investigating changes and considering performance and functionality.

10. It's too easy to get "trapped" inside a quote when editing one.  If you delete the last line of a quote any further text you write will be enclosed inside that quote. You can only bypass that by changing to HTML/BBCode mode. I think this could be solved by forcing a new extra line whenever a quote is made, so there's always a buffer users can use to write below.

Some changes were made to Quote/Multiquote. Performed testing, result: pressing the down arrow brings the cursor down one line below the quoted content, from there hitting enter adds lines below the quoted text.

11. Implement ability to quote only the part of the post you have currently selected.

You can edit out portions of the quote to narrow it down to just the portion you want there. Understand the request here though. It will be looked into further.

12. Right-clicking an embedded picture displays the picture instead of showing the browser's context menu. Opera is the only browser able to bypass this behaviour.

Fixed. Tested FireFox, IE and Chrome.

13. There's a hard limit of 10 maximum images per post. This limit seems a bit too strict.

The web team are looking into settings, configuration and limits. No commitment to change on this one yet.

- - -

Here are some additional items either fixed or are currently being worked on.

- Username all lowercase issue.

Fixed.

The account system caused some usernames to become all lowercase. This issue is now fixed. If your username has become all lowercase, you can resolve this by changing your username at account.bistudio.com

1. after you login, go to account.bistudio.com
  2. change your username in the top left corner
  3. save changes in the bottom right corner
  4. click on logout
  5. go to forums.bistudio.com and logout(again)

After those steps, after you login again, your username should now have the proper case that you saved it as.

- Member Tile and group name issue.

Fixed.

- Social link meta data.

Fixed.

- Latest unread post in a locked thread.

Under investigation.

- Subscribed threads from old forums.

Has been under investigation. Discussion on feasibility as many users have now gone through and added with the new forums.

- Video player in signatures.

Fixed.

- Display of 0 warnings.

Fixed.

- Ignore signature popup is clipped.

Issue logged, planed for fix.

- Report a post needs more distinction.

Fixed.

- Member since display on post bio.

Shows up on the profile card when you hover over username.

The web team is investigating the style and display for it to appear near the user avatar/name in a post page.

- Better separation of posts.

Changes have been made.

- Mark threads/indication if BI staff have replied

Display options / style under investigation.

- Custom Syntax highlighting of code.

Under investigation.

- User badges/medals display.

Currently is displayed on profile page. Investigating display style near avatar on post page.

- Tapatalk integrated functionality

It is installed however there are issues in the testing we have been performing.

Unfortunately, there will likely need to be possibly some changes to Tapatalk client software, because of the unified BI account system.

Will continue to investigate.

Thats all I have at the moment. Again, thank you all for the feedback and for the patience.

Best regards,

BohemiaBeck

• Like 6

Thanks for the meaty reply.

Some notes from my part:

6. Missing ability to set format of time and date. To 24h, american date formatting, etc.
Selecting a timezone is available in your "My settings" page.

The reported issue was referring to the format of the display of dates and time.

Dates are currently displayed in european (?) format: Day Month Year (11 August 2015), but there's no option to display them in amercian (and UK, etc) format, which would be: Month Day, Year (August 11, 2015)

Time is currently displayed in 24h format (18:33), while there's no option to display it in 12h format (06:33 PM)

9. Missing button to easily insert videos in posts.
This is available, when making a post, by clicking on the icon to the left of "Font". Hovering over the Icon, the alt text says "Special BBcode", click on it brings up a window with a drop down, in the drop-down select "Media", paste in, for example, a Youtube URL in the  "Media URL" box and hit OK. This will add the BBcode

TheUrl you put in

in the post.

Correct but, is there any chance of adding a button in the WYSIWYG editor bar, such as the one available to embed pictures?

10. Missing ability to easily create nested lists.
When creating a post, to create nested list, select the items and hit the "Increase indent" button near the text align buttons.
  • This
    • Is
      • Great
        • To
          • Have
            • Back 
3. The Friends list doesn't seem to serve a purpose right now. One would imagine that they would work, among other things, as a "Contact list", so you can easily select any of them when creating a new PM. Yet, there's no link nor any other way to access your Friends when composing a PM.
Hover your mouse cursor over the username brings up the profile card of the user where you can select to message the user directly from there.

Good to know. Although having the list of friends displayed in the same page where you compose your PM would be great.

6. Font styles and link format bleed to the blank space after a word or line break. As in: underscore strikethrough link etc. It'd be preferred to contain all that to pages and have styles close after line breaks.
When editing the post, if there is content that you have written that contains the strike-through or other style, you can highlight that text and click on the eraser icon to remove the formatting.

Yes, I'm aware of that trick. Still, selecting a word to apply a style or link, then having to remove formatting from the white spaces or reselect to carefully select just the word is a PITA.

--

I will update later the first post with all the fixes you've mentioned, plus all the other relevant bits.

You mean the old PrivateSergeant and so on? Yes, it is dead. You can change it to what You want in Member title field in profile settings.

As some people mentioned earlier, my name too has been changed to all lowercase letters, first letters have always been capitals.

Weird.

Also please think about changing the default font, since it's really hard to tell a semicolon from a regular comma, same goes for i and I. Sitting 50cm from a 30 inch full hd display it's hard to tell the difference, no problems with other fonts.

Cheers

You mean the old PrivateSergeant and so on? Yes, it is dead. You can change it to what You want in Member title field in profile settings.

Yep, i saw that. I kinda liked the old ranking system, not a big deal though.

Well, now you can promote yourself, soldier. ;)

Are dailymotion videos supported by the new engine?

I can't get them working. I tried the "media" tags, but no luck.

Are dailymotion videos supported by the new engine?

I can't get them working. I tried the "media" tags, but no luck.

You are right. Daylimotion can't be embedded. You can with Vimeo videos, though.

Daylimotion video tests:

Vimeo tests:

It seems that "Member title" textfield is only activated for some of you. I don't have that entry anywhere in my settings page.

Just updated the first post with all the info supplied by BohemiaBeck in his latest post here.

There were some issues that he marked as fixed when they acutally are not. Such as:

• Right-clicking images still doesn't work properly on Firefox

I think there was also another. Anyway, first post uptated.

There were some issues that he marked as fixed when they acutally are not. Such as:

• Right-clicking images still doesn't work properly on Firefox

There is a way to get the right context menu, but it does involve two extra mouse clicks.

Click on the image, this brings up the image in a frame, click on "save", this opens the image by itself in a new tab where right click is available.

Also:

Missing ability to state a reason when displaying the "Edited by" text.

Fixed. After clicking Edit, check the box "Show 'Edit by' line" and fill in an edit reason in the input box to the left.

Edited by BohemiaBeck
Added fixed for display edited by text.

A size limit for signature would be welcome. I see some member on this forum with huge signature.

To clarify the Dailymotion query. It looks like I'm asking for something that hadn't been available on the previous board. But Dailymotion video was indeed supported. A list of compatible sites would be appreciated. :)

As some people mentioned earlier, my name too has been changed to all lowercase letters, first letters have always been capitals.

Weird.

Also please think about changing the default font, since it's really hard to tell a semicolon from a regular comma, same goes for i and I. Sitting 50cm from a 30 inch full hd display it's hard to tell the difference, no problems with other fonts.

Cheers

- Username all lowercase issue.

The account system caused some usernames to become all lowercase. This issue is now fixed. If your username has become all lowercase, you can resolve this by changing your username at account.bistudio.com

1. after you login, go to account.bistudio.com
  2. change your username in the top left corner
  3. save changes in the bottom right corner
  4. click on logout
  5. go to forums.bistudio.com and logout(again)

After those steps, after you login again, your username should now have the proper case that you saved it as.

Lot's of spambot passing through the anti spam system, needs a little overhaul.

Yep, a good start would be to not allow new members to create a new thread before reaching a certain amount of message (like in the previous version of the forum).

Personally not sure why they went with IP boards, I experience so many issues with this software to the point it destroyed my website and my work. In the end I moved to vbulletin best decision every made in my opinion. I know change is good sometimes but I feel the old forums was more user-friendly. 

There is a way to get the right context menu, but it does involve two extra mouse clicks.

Click on the image, this brings up the image in a frame, click on "save", this opens the image by itself in a new tab where right click is available.

Still, it looks more like a workaround than a proper solution TBH.

Fixed. After clicking Edit, check the box "Show 'Edit by' line" and fill in an edit reason in the input box to the left.

Are you sure this is fixed? I can't see the input box no matter what I try.

Tried it in Firefox 40 and Chrome 44.0.2403.155 m

2. Quote or multiquote isn't available in the "Reply with more options" or "Full editor" screen.

Fixed.

Also, this is the other item I forgot to mention that it's not actually fixed. The buttons are not present in the editing page, at least when you try the "More reply options" one (you can see the list of posts made below your WIP post/reply, but they are plain text and without any buttons).

--

Actually, there might be something going on with some features, which seem to be active just for certain users (regardless of browser). That would explain why some are able to edit their Member Title in the profile settings while others (like me) can't even see the input text. The same with the "edited by" text or the quote/multiquote in "full editor" mode.

Edited by kenoxite

Still, it looks more like a workaround than a proper solution TBH.

Are you sure this is fixed? I can't see the input box no matter what I try.

Tried it in Firefox 40 and Chrome 44.0.2403.155 m

Also, this is the other item I forgot to mention that it's not actually fixed. The buttons are not present in the editing page, at least when you try the "More reply options" one (you can see the list of posts made below your WIP post/reply, but they are plain text and without any buttons).

--

Actually, there might be something going on with some features, which seem to be active just for certain users (regardless of browser). That would explain why some are able to edit their Member Title in the profile settings while others (like me) can't even see the input text. The same with the "edited by" text or the quote/multiquote in "full editor" mode.

You are right, the right click image is not working they way you and probably others want. It is planned that the popup preview frame will be removed.

Confirmed the edit input box(works only on access level), written up and logged to be fixed.

Looking into the reply with more options.

Edit member title is available for users with 500 or more posts. We can change that value to what the senior members here feel is appropriate.

Edit member title is available for users with 500 or more posts. We can change that value to what the senior members here feel is appropriate.

I don't think there is a need to bind this to the number of posts, it might be confusing for newbies that they cant see it, and (I hope) the senior members are not that elitist.

Set that either to zero, or even better, bring the old system with ranks back, it fits the theme of ArmA :)

On this topic:

The profile area of the post looks messy now with the share button, It should go to the right top of the post, as all forums have it.

And pleaaaase bring the "Join date" back below the avatar, that's way more useful info compared to the postcount.