kenoxite

List of issues with the new forums engine

Is there a way to 'go to last unread post' in locked topics such as the Dev Branch changelog topic (which of course from forum coder stand point would be a useless feature I reckon on the note that locked topics don't usually get new posts..)?

Because if I click on the topic title it goes to the first post, and there is no blue dot/star to click like the regular topics have..

It might be one of two things:

1. You clicked that link without being logged in. Currently, links to last posts are malformed (they don't actually send you to the last post) for not logged in users.
  2. You might haven't noticed the arrow that is displayed at the right side when you hover over a thread title (in the forum proper). Clicking it will expand that row and show both the first, last and last unread posts with direct links besides each one.

--

Apart from that, is it me or are bots spamming these new forums way more often and for longer than before?

It might be one of two things:

1. You clicked that link without being logged in. Currently, links to last posts are malformed (they don't actually send you to the last post) for not logged in users.
  2. You might haven't noticed the arrow that is displayed at the right side when you hover over a thread title (in the forum proper). Clicking it will expand that row and show both the first, last and last unread posts with direct links besides each one.

No, was logged in...

That arrow thing I did notice but didn't pay too much attention to it.. Wee bit cumbersome to get to the last post like that though.

Any chance someone can add max-height to the prettyprint css to cut back on the reams of code blocks we have to scroll through :) . Something generous like 600-700px enough to see a large portion without scrolling but enough to cut down on thread length.

Please do not fight/take away browser functionality (to then try adding some of it back by some silly means...).
What's the point in this "image-widget"?

icXFoth.png

If I would want to save the image, then I'd just hit my right mouse button (same if I'd wanted to watch something in its full resolution in case it has been shrunk by means of CSS. You know... open image in new window...). Too bad it has been deactivated/overleaded with some useless javascript.
That "save" functionality there.... I feel a bit ridiculed. ;)

Could you guys just get rid of this image widget thing?

Or at least make sure it only fires on a click of the left, but certainly not the right mouse button?

P.S. The forum still doesn't allow more than a few quotes per post, which is not only limiting but also "defaces" many old posts violating that new rule (quotes then simply do not get parsed, so they're still there.. just in ugly.).

P.P.S Maybe a small changelog w.r.t. the forum and its functionality would be nice, so we don't miss anything awesome. :D

I really don't like the fluorescent blue text it's so loud it's hard to concentrate on the subject.

It really shouldn't be allowed to have a signature with embedded youtube video... that's just ridiculous. Please add some line/size restriction to signatures.

Also... titles... you asked for it.

• Like 1

Please do not fight/take away browser functionality (to then try adding some of it back by some silly means...).

icXFoth.png

If I would want to save the image, then I'd just hit my right mouse button (same if I'd wanted to watch something in its full resolution in case it has been shrunk by means of CSS. You know... open image in new window...). Too bad it has been deactivated/overleaded with some useless javascript.

That "save" functionality there.... I feel a bit ridiculed. ;)

Could you guys just get rid of this image widget thing?

Or at least make sure it only fires on a click of the left, but certainly not the right mouse button?

Yes, yes, yes, yes! Please yettison these JavaScript bollocks. Pardon my rudeness here but I'm going up the wall every time I encounter such evil sorcery on a website. It drives me mad when developers try to bypass my beloved, fast, and known browser functionality with nicer looking scripts. Call me a 90s kid but when it comes to web services such as forums or websites I'm all for performance and usability over style and design. I'd like to quickly navigate and post in the forums and be able to open images and videos in external tabs (what's the point of cropped images and embedded vids anyway). I don't care for eye-candy. The design should be simple, support the known workflows, and be free of unnecessary images and GUI elements for users with low bandwith.

• Like 3

It really shouldn't be allowed to have a signature with embedded youtube video... that's just ridiculous.

Good thing is you can hide them individually!

Yay.

Bad thing is the mouse-over menu goes over the right border of the window, since that "x" is all to the right, yet the menu insists on spawning to the right (of that "x"). At least with some Firefox... haven't checked with a different browser.

See:

y6AwqPi.png

Pretty funny, considering this IP.Boards thingy is proprietary software. <_<

Is there no good open-source forum around? :lol:

Every time I click on a link from google to this forum, it goes to the specific page or thread, then auto-refreshes a second later to the main forum page. I know it says SOLVED for google link stuff, but I'm still experiencing difficulties with Chrome.

So update on this: I notice when I click a link from google, I'm not logged into the forum when it first goes to the link, then the page "refreshes" to auto log me in, but that puts me back on the main page. Beyond annoying. For now I either have to remember to log out every time before I google search, or I have to rapid fire my mouse on the X when it tries to auto-refresh to log me into the forum to prevent it from doing so.

Either way, it's incredibly annoying when I forget to do either of those things, which frankly shouldn't be required as thousands of other forums don't have that issue.

• Like 1

P.S. The forum still doesn't allow more than a few quotes per post, which is not only limiting but also "defaces" many old posts violating that new rule (quotes then simply do not get parsed, so they're still there.. just in ugly.).

P.P.S Maybe a small changelog w.r.t. the forum and its functionality would be nice, so we don't miss anything awesome. :D

Are you sure? I'm able to multiquote a whole page (20 quotes). That's why I upped it to SOLVED.

See post below.

Agreed on the official changelog bit.

Multiquote test. Warning, this is long:

Can someone confirm those have actually been solved?

My bet is that the first one should have, as it Beck has contacted the user that brought up that issue. Width of the forums seems to be now liquid instead of fixed, but my screen isn't near as high resolution as most of yours. As for the numbering, no idea. I never experienced that myself. I placed a temptative "solved" there.

Quotes need to be differentiated from the rest of a post. Give them a darker different coloured background. The smaller font is also difficult to read.

Well I'm looking at a full width board and its really good. Just the fact I can read it without my glasses is a plus for me ;). If this is a permanent setting (full width) then I'm very happy to see it back. :)

- I cannot login with using Opera and Adblock Plus, have to disable ABP at login time.
- The wasted vertical space on top is bad. So is the reaction of many users here. Crying and shouting like w0**e's grand daddy army. As if their life is in danger now after the forum update.
- I hope we get some templates for changing the layout.

It's not full width, but it's good enough (they increased the max-witdth).

The top vertical space is still wasted indeed. I understand BIS wants to have a uniform header on their websites, but that should not be in spite of the usability. It's much worse when viewing a thread btw, there it's just stacked lines of buttons and headers. On my laptop two-thirds of the screen is covered in headers!

Uff, I don't like the new forums - it's too clumbersome, too big, reading a thread takes literally more space & time now, because more scrolling is involved. :-/

Is there a skin I can use maybe?

Same here. No notifications.

I suppose it could be res, but its full width on mine. But there again, I'm only viewing in 1920x1080, it might be different for higher res monitors, not sure.

__

Also to the forum builders; maybe it might be better to go back to, one sig per page. Therefore saving page space, repeating sigs for posters such as myself and many other that have sig's, can take up lots of space. Before there was only one sig per page allowed, I think that was a better idea.

This was a fault on my side, not knowing that I had in fact two different e-mail addresses for the two accounts. I don't know if this issue really exists, but as per reference to this post:

https://forums.bistudio.com/?showtopic=183456&p=2895894

it's not an issue.

Kind regards,
Johnny

Visually forum pages are a mess now, signatures and quotes, it all looks pretty much the same.

I see. The Multiquote button allows you to select a full page (20 posts), but if you try to post that the forums won't let you ("Too many quotes" error message).
The real maximum for Multiquote is 10 quotes.

I'll update the first post with all this.

The real maximum for Multiquote is 10 quotes.

This is clearly not enough. :wacko:

IMHO such a limit is just stupid. Can't we get rid of it?

Btw. wouldn't it be possible to only quote the part I've selected, instead of the whole post?

Now that's a usecase where some Javascript actually would be welcome. :rolleyes:

If I would want to save the image, then I'd just hit my right mouse button.

You mean that hitting RMB on a picture doesn't give You context menu with Save/Copy/Etc. options? Check if it isn't somehow Your browser - for me it works, Opera 30.0 with JavaScript enabled for BI pages.

You mean that hitting RMB on a picture doesn't give You context menu with Save/Copy/Etc. options? Check if it isn't somehow Your browser - for me it works, Opera 30.0 with JavaScript enabled for BI pages.

Firefox here. Issues with RMB on embedded images. If anything, I could be blocking some scripts via uMatrix (that thing granularity when blocking scripts is pretty amazing), but I'm actually allowing all but google analytics.

So, it must actually be Opera blocking by default certain script actions OR Opera doesn't support the JS commands used in this case.

Good thing is you can hide them individually!

I know but i wouldn't call that a solution... if you have to block half the signatures because half the people put shenanigans in there for promoting/advertising whatever.

This is clearly not enough. :wacko:

IMHO such a limit is just stupid. Can't we get rid of it?

no, you dont need to quote every sentence individually. Keep it short. Others will thank you for it. If you have to, manually combine them yourself

Has anyone else noticed that the number of spam threads with shady ads, most likely opened by bots, seems to be increasing since the forum migration? I just hit "View New Content" and got four or five of them on the first page.

no, you dont need to quote every sentence individually. Keep it short.

[ ] Some n randomly pulled out of someone's hat is exactly the perfect number of max. quotes.

[ ] There will never be a reason or need to have a post with more than n quotes, because that's just crazy talk.

[ ] I have a selective sustained attention span of about 5 seconds.

[ ] Where am I?

[ ] Responding to other people's thoughts is stupid. That's not how discussions work.

[ ] Quotes are stupid. As if it matters what other people are saying.

[ ] This is twitter.

[ ] Uhm, what's a forum again?

<_<

I just noticed you can't use more than 10 images in a single post. I wonder if the 100kb limit is still in place.

Well... time for science!

UK2tE5V.png

size: 282kb

oGClON7.png

size: 1,39mb

h6wgNhE.png

size: 2,20mb

There doesn't seem to be any built-in limit to the size (in kb) of linked images. But do the moderators still enforce the 100kb limit?

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but you can't search for terms shorter than four characters. In a game where the "map" is a big deal, you can't search for anything on how to for example "disable map" in your missions.

thanks for changing the text size and contrast...i can read it on a small screen tablet easier.

My username has now been modified without my knowledge. The "m" was capitalized as "M" before, now all of a sudden it's not. I did not make this change, I didn't authorize anyone to make this change, and I can't seem to find any sort of option to edit it to fix it. Disappointing my account is being modified apparently without being informed first and without any obvious ability to revert or change what someone else changed without my knowledge.

Call me uptight but I really get bothered by account changes, for any website or program I have an account with, without being notified as to when and why the change is going to occur beforehand. I don't like other people, admins or what-have-you, sticking their virtual hands in my accounts without at least informing me that they're going to do so first.

The change in my username must have occurred over the past few days, well after the forum change took effect. I know for a fact it had a capitalized "M" even after the forum change.

• Like 1

When I come to the page I am not automatically logged in so:

- sometimes I wait a few seconds and then I am suddenly logged in or:

- sometimes I wait a few seconds and then I have to log in manually.

Does the reporting post even working? - i did reported few of those spam bots ,but it always returns to the same page like nothing happend

on previous forum , it always showed if the post been reported or not , atm with new forum there's no indication