kenoxite

List of issues with the new forums engine

The PM limit is really annoying, my inbox is full and I don't even know about it. Why there is a limit at all? Only 50 messages is ridiculous.

Anyway good work with the forum so far, I'm starting to like it.

Im sure this can be changed quite easily - most likely a setting to change.

Im sure this can be changed quite easily - most likely a setting to change.

Yeah, but default settings seem to be stupidly conservative. What's the point of a forum if you're not allowed to have a bunch of PM, or post something with more than 3 quotes, and so on...

Such artificial restrictions should only be put in place with good reasons, and as a last resort.  <_< 

Yeah, but default settings seem to be stupidly conservative. What's the point of a forum if you're not allowed to have a bunch of PM, or post something with more than 3 quotes, and so on...

Such artificial restrictions should only be put in place with good reasons, and as a last resort.  <_<

I can understand and appreciate your concern - unfortunately as a Volunteer Community Member Moderator i am unable to make the changes myself - the request will passed to the BIS Forum Team. - Thanks

Another problem with PMs (I bet that Invision Power guys would proudly call that a feature): when you're deleting some messages from your inbox/outbox, they're automatically deleted also from recipient/sender account. This is firstly very weird, and secondly annoying especially in community which is based on permissions.

Link this with impossibilty to archive PMs (sending them to e-mail account is the worst possible solution), and we can expect problems when trying to prove to the mods that we don't steal stuff from other's.

BTW: I'm curious, does anyone from BI webmasters have some past experiences with IP.boards? I don't have any, but those IP guys seem to break simplest things!

EDIT: yeah, I know - it's not possible to fix it, apart from changing the engine once again.

Automatic deletion from both sender and recipient explains a lot of things then. It's no like the "Save draft" button has the same action as the "Send" button, which leads to situations where you can't save a draft for a recipient with the PM bin full. The problem (huge problem IMO) is the way IP.Board is storing those PMs, where there seems to be just one instance of each PM in the DB where its status (sent, received, draft) is just a flag besides it. So, when you create a new message it most likely checks if both recipient and sender are allowed (under bin capacity limit). If that condition isn't met then the PM isn't stored in the database (and hence the stupid error). And when a PM is deleted, it's effectively removed from the DB, no matter if it was done by the recipient or the sender, as there was just a copy of the PM to begin with. This surely helps cut DB size and overall performance, but it's a piece of shit solution from a user POV.

And, yes, the main reason why being able to store (bin capacity increase) and export (ideally via xls again) is important is due to all the permission frenzy that goes and have gone around this community. I still have all the previous PMs stored just in case some yahoo starts claiming that X or Y permission wasn't actually granted.

---

EDIT: And let me just reiterate that the new forums aren't properly configured to be able to send emails yet. So, no notifications and no "archiving" of PMs.

Hi kenoxite,

thanks for taking your time into creating this list.

like many others, I have the problem that I cannot login as my original account, BUT the weird thing is that I didn't create a new account. Instead seemingly logged in as the BI account I created to be able to play Mini DayZ, plus my original account's avatar got lost somehow.

My original forums account:

https://forums.bistudio.com/user/891752-heeeeres-johnny/

My current account:

https://forums.bistudio.com/user/942564-here-is-johnny/

A problem might be that I'm using the same e-mail address and password for both accounts which could result in inconsistent data in the respective database(s) if the account identification happens by the combination of e-mail and password.

I hope this gets fixed (I'd like to use my original account) as I need to update a thread on a script I just recently updated.

Apart from that:

The new forum is obviously in need of getting used to, but I like the similarity to the DayZ Forums and I'm looking forward to the new features it provides.

Sent you a PM.

• SOLVED? - Possible conflict when two different accounts share the same email and password. Such as for existing users that created a new account using the same email and password as they used in their old account. This has the potential of create some glitches later on.
  • SOLVED? - Inconsistency in the number of the displayed page when browsing through page numbers. Page 3 becomes page 2, etc.
  • SOLVED? - Too much empty and unused space for those with high resolutions, due to the fixed width and centering of the current layout. A liquid approach to the layout (so it autoadjusts its width to the monitor's resolution) would be preferred.

Can someone confirm those have actually been solved?

My bet is that the first one should have, as it Beck has contacted the user that brought up that issue. Width of the forums seems to be now liquid instead of fixed, but my screen isn't near as high resolution as most of yours. As for the numbering, no idea. I never experienced that myself. I placed a temptative "solved" there.

Quotes need to be differentiated from the rest of a post. Give them a darker different coloured background. The smaller font is also difficult to read.

Well I'm looking at a full width board and its really good. Just the fact I can read it without my glasses is a plus for me ;). If this is a permanent setting (full width) then I'm very happy to see it back. :)

- I cannot login with using Opera and Adblock Plus, have to disable ABP at login time.

- The wasted vertical space on top is bad. So is the reaction of many users here. Crying and shouting like w0**e's grand daddy army. As if their life is in danger now after the forum update.

- I hope we get some templates for changing the layout.

Well I'm looking at a full width board and its really good. Just the fact I can read it without my glasses is a plus for me ;). If this is a permanent setting (full width) then I'm very happy to see it back. :)

It's not full width, but it's good enough (they increased the max-witdth). 

The top vertical space is still wasted indeed. I understand BIS wants to have a uniform header on their websites, but that should not be in spite of the usability.  It's much worse when viewing a thread btw, there it's just stacked lines of buttons and headers.  On my laptop two-thirds of the screen is covered in headers!

Uff, I don't like the new forums - it's too clumbersome, too big, reading a thread takes literally more space & time now, because more scrolling is involved. :-/

Is there a skin I can use maybe?

Way to much posts here so I just post it, hopefully it has not been said before:

I have the problem that I don't get emails on new posts in followed threads (since all my subscriptions where deleted (-,-) I needed to subscribe to all the over 100 threads.) Before the update I got around 30-50 Emails a day of thread activity. Now I don't get ANY.

Yes I have subscribed to the threads and Yes I set them on "Instantly" or what ever the option says!

Same here. No notifications.

It's not full width, but it's good enough (they increased the max-witdth). 

The top vertical space is still wasted indeed. I understand BIS wants to have a uniform header on their websites, but that should not be in spite of the usability.  It's much worse when viewing a thread btw, there it's just stacked lines of buttons and headers.  On my laptop two-thirds of the screen is covered in headers!

I suppose it could be res, but its full width on mine. But there again, I'm only viewing in 1920x1080, it might be different for higher res monitors, not sure.

__

Also to the forum builders; maybe it might be better to go back to, one sig per page. Therefore saving page space, repeating sigs for posters such as myself and many other that have sig's, can take up lots of space. Before there was only one sig per page allowed, I think that was a better idea.

• SOLVED? - Possible conflict when two different accounts share the same email and password. Such as for existing users that created a new account using the same email and password as they used in their old account. This has the potential of create some glitches later on.

This was a fault on my side, not knowing that I had in fact two different e-mail addresses for the two accounts. I don't know if this issue really exists, but as per reference to this post:

https://forums.bistudio.com/?showtopic=183456&p=2895894

it's not an issue.

Kind regards,

Johnny

Visually forum pages are a mess now, signatures and quotes, it all looks pretty much the same.

Visually forum pages are a mess now, signatures and quotes, it all looks pretty much the same.

The quotes are much more visible now.

I took te liberty to throw photoshop at the topic header... I only did some rearanging of elements.

KAznUUBh.png

See how many vertical space can be saved! And the location of the elements is more logical to me like this

• Like 1

I can't manage to get any 'new content' anymore...

Edit :disregard, i had accidentally ticked 'item i follow'

@BohemiaBeck

Thanks for checking into this thread regularly.

I assumed the migration would have minimal impact on myself given that I use the forum almost exclusively via tapatalk.

This seems to have stopped working now, reporting a network error when trying to log in or re-add the forum itself.

Perhaps the tapatalk backend has yet to be installed on the new forum. Please, are you able to clarify if this is the case, and if so, whether there are plans to reactivate it?

Thanks for your time.

@BohemiaBeck

Thanks for checking into this thread regularly.

I assumed the migration would have minimal impact on myself given that I use the forum almost exclusively via tapatalk.

This seems to have stopped working now, reporting a network error when trying to log in or re-add the forum itself.

Perhaps the tapatalk backend has yet to be installed on the new forum. Please, are you able to clarify if this is the case, and if so, whether there are plans to reactivate it?

Thanks for your time.

Yes, we are checking this thread regularly and working to resolve issues.

Tapatalk is planned and we will soon be testing it.

Best regards,

BohemiaBeck

• Like 1

BohemiaBeck, just a heads-up for the off chance you guys are not aware of it. We don't have access to our previous subscriptions, HOWEVER, these are still recognized somehow by the new forums software since I see a little star symbol on each of the threads I used to be subscribed to. so if you manage to put all those in a list ("favorites"?) I bet a lot of people will be happy :)

BohemiaBeck, just a heads-up for the off chance you guys are not aware of it. We don't have access to our previous subscriptions, HOWEVER, these are still recognized somehow by the new forums software since I see a little star symbol on each of the threads I used to be subscribed to. so if you manage to put all those in a list ("favorites"?) I bet a lot of people will be happy :)

The star seems to mark threads you have replied to at some point. At least I see these stars in threads I have never subscribed to but posted in.

Regarding the problem with PMs being deleted for both recipient and sender when one of those decides to delete it:

After some tests, it seems that it only affects legacy PMs (those sent and received before the transition). New "conversations" (series of PMs sent and replied to unde rthe same title) don't seem to be affected by this. The deletion is done only for the one who decided to delete them. The other one will keep all the received emails and will be notified that "X has left the conversation".

So, it's not as severe as some of us thought. But it still leaves the problem of what to do with all the legacy PMs some of us still have around.

So, it's not as severe as some of us thought. But it still leaves the problem of what to do with all the legacy PMs some of us still have around.

That's why some other method of PM archivisation (apart from send it all to my mail) would be appreciated...

Yes, we are checking this thread regularly and working to resolve issues.

... but that doesn't mean we don't appreciate what was already done! Thumbs up Beck & Co! :)

Is there a way to 'go to last unread post' in locked topics such as the Dev Branch changelog topic (which of course from forum coder stand point would be a useless feature I reckon on the note that locked topics don't usually get new posts..)?

Because if I click on the topic title it goes to the first post, and there is no blue dot/star to click like the regular topics have..