kenoxite

List of issues with the new forums engine

Just wanted to let you know that i could finally login.

Since i couldn't login with that Ooops internal server error i decided to ask for password recovery, but it didnt work.

First tries the link wasnt working. They even had the title of the mail as Bohamia interactive :)

Then they fixed the name problem but forgot to add a link to reset the password.

And finally in my last try everything worked fine.

There seems to be some inconsistencies regarding how the forums behaves depending on if you are logged in or not. I'm talking about things like the "latest post" link directing you to the first page of the thread instead of the latest post if you're not logged. There might be other instances, but that's the one I've noticed so far.

I've updated the first post with all this.

Id like to add that at least I cant edit my old post anymore. There are some formatting errors in my topic that I would like to fix.

Also every time I open any topic or link on/to any page on the forum the page loads and then forwards me back to the forum frontpage. Hitting "back" on the browser gets me where I was going.

And lastly replying to this topic took a few tries as the reply button works wonky.

After getting internal server errors and timeouts like Big and other users got, I was finally able to log in again. However, there seems to be another problem. This account I'm posting from is not my usual forums account, it seems to be my BI Store account. When I originally signed up on the forums in 2009 I used a different e-mail adress than I used for my participation in the MANW contest where I had to create a BI Store account. (Or maybe I created it for another purpose, I actually can't remember.) When I'm trying to enter my old e-mail adress I'm getting 'user not found' errors. I'm pretty sure I tried to change the old e-mail adress under settings to my new one months ago.

Is there any way to merge this account I'm posting from into my original account 'IndeedPete' (https://forums.bistudio.com/user/756849-indeedpete/)? It'd be horrible if I lost my account with a few thousand posts, ongoing PM convos, and several active project threads. Anyone else having this problem?

Yes, I edited the first post a few minutes ago. I also stumbled upon that feature when messing around my control panel.

Also, it seems the linking has been fixed. Example: https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=ofp+materials

Ahh... Once again, since previous try seems to have dissappeared.

1. Not a big issue, but somehow annoying: previously an user name (and password) was everything I would need to log in. Now I need to type my e-mail address, which is quite longer. Time is precious!

2. Community groups seem to have vanished, which is a shame, because a lot of interesting discussions were hidden there. Though, I can imagine it;s impossible to transfer this feature to the new enigne.

3. The bottom panel, one which showed current forum time, dissappeared too.

Wrt. to the number of post per page, it is NOT an option with the new bulletin software! Pretty much industry standard, but nevertheless the software developer removed it:

https://community.invisionpower.com/topic/362706-number-of-posts-to-show-per-page-user-setting/

I also noticed that getting thrown back to forum front page happens if you start scrolling before the page has loaded completely. This was not a problem with the old forum software

• There's no or no obvious way to insert videos anymore. If anyone knows how to do this (as I've seen some videos already embedded) feel free to explain here.

Media tags :) [media*]link to media[/media*] without the *

• Like 2

• The private message limit seems to have lowered considerably now. With only 50 stored PMs (inbound and outbound) I can no longer send any new PM. I think this might have been an oversight. Please confirm.

Admins only can change that, it's done by group.

ACP > Members > Member Groups > Manage Member Groups > (Select Group) >  Global > Personal Messages > enter limit

What about topics we were subscribed to? Are they gone? I had about 150 of them...

I also noticed that getting thrown back to forum front page happens if you start scrolling before the page has loaded completely. This was not a problem with the old forum software

Jeesus, you're right. Scrolling while a page is loading sends you back to the main page. This is... nuts.

Media tags :) [media*]link to media[/media*] without the *

Me no comprende.

I tried that, but it doesn't work for me. See: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/145818-ww4-extended-unofficial-expansion-for-ww4-25/?p=2335256

And the same video here (code used first):

[media]
[/media]'>
[/media]

Note that even if I write that in "html mode" or whatever it's called, it still doesn't work for me. Even if I use the "extended BBCode" to insert it there instead, still no luck. :unsure:

Ah, it's probably the format of the URL.

Trying...

WTF

So, the trick is to use the URL of the video proper, as seen in the browser bar, not the one you get from clicking the Share button below the video (which was what you had to do before).

In other words, this format works:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<ID of your video>[/media]

Admins only can change that, it's done by group.

ACP > Members > Member Groups > Manage Member Groups > (Select Group) >  Global > Personal Messages > enter limit

Well, it still needs to be changed by someone with the proper rights. If the reduction of PM count was accidental, which I'm starting to wonder if it's really the case.

Forum keeps logging me out :(

Yes, It's happened to me also, when replying to another thread.

Or at least you'd think you're logged out. Turns out that if you go back to the main page it says you're still logged in... :huh:

Well, I was looking to reply to the topic Drongo started, 'These forums are utter shit', but looks like it was removed, so I will post here instead. I have to agree with Drongo here, these new forums are a pain in the ass to use...not so sure what was wrong with the last layout in order for it to have to be changed. Sure you have your reasons, but I sure hope it was worth the headache that will come with making this switch. I figured it wouldn't take long for people to say, 'anything new seems awkward, so you'll get used to it over time.' Well, can't really say I agree with that, if something is working do you break it and switch it all around just to see what result you come up with? And if the end result isn't what you want, do you just stick with it because it is new...so you will get used to it over time? I'm getting pretty sick of the forum telling me I don't have permission to do this or that, and kicking me back to homepage every couple minutes. Hell, just now I tried quoting someone elses post only to be told I have no permission....seriously? Not to mention, I can imagine released projects are playing hell for Foxhound and the crew over at Armaholic now that they have to fight with this new layout as well. 

Now I understand things can get better as bugs are fixed, and I don't think I really have a choice in the matter, either keep using them or switch over to Armaholic's forums. Well, nothing to do about it other than ride it out, so here's to hoping that everyone can 'attune' to the new layout or watch the community start to find new places to make home for their projects (meaning less people aware of releases).

Well, I was looking to reply to the topic Drongo started, 'These forums are utter shit', but looks like it was removed, so I will post here instead. I have to agree with Drongo here, these new forums are a pain in the ass to use...not so sure what was wrong with the last layout in order for it to have to be changed.

As far as I can gather, the main reason seems to be better support for mobile devices. And that's pretty much it.

And, now that we're talking about Drongo... Drongo, dude, come back to OFP. Since you are in the Arma 3 community you've become... unleashed. It's almost scary :P

But, while I try to keep calm and rational here, I must admit that I can easily echo his and your view on all this.

Some weird glitch when hitting the Back browser button when browsing these forums:

yZK6jD4.jpg

After a few reloads it worked fine.

After getting internal server errors and timeouts like Big and other users got, I was finally able to log in again. However, there seems to be another problem. This account I'm posting from is not my usual forums account, it seems to be my BI Store account. When I originally signed up on the forums in 2009 I used a different e-mail adress than I used for my participation in the MANW contest where I had to create a BI Store account. (Or maybe I created it for another purpose, I actually can't remember.) When I'm trying to enter my old e-mail adress I'm getting 'user not found' errors. I'm pretty sure I tried to change the old e-mail adress under settings to my new one months ago.

Is there any way to merge this account I'm posting from into my original account 'IndeedPete' (https://forums.bistudio.com/user/756849-indeedpete/)? It'd be horrible if I lost my account with a few thousand posts, ongoing PM convos, and several active project threads. Anyone else having this problem?

Nevermind this, I seem to have two accounts with slightly different e-mail endings (gmail.com vs. googlemail.com). On the new forums in general: I appreciate the work that went into it but the first impression is really bad. The usability went to hell and in exchange we've got a ton of useless features such as thread ratings or post likes. Then there are quite a few bugs but I'm sure they will be ironed out soon. I believe I'll just need some time to get used to the changes, we'll see.

As far as I can gather, the main reason seems to be better support for mobile devices. And that's pretty much it.

Anyone else with a Windows Phone, who does not get the mobile version? And that is unreadable with the grey-on-white ....

I've just tried to reply to a private message which took me about 10-15 minutes. On hitting "post" (why's that called "post" anyway, shouldn't it be "send"?) I was redirected to a "You're not allowed to do that."-page. Luckily, I copied the text to my clipboard before sending it and was able to reply again. It worked the second time.

Then I was wondering where the "You have N unread posts." button has gone. I used that one to quickly get a list of all new posts since my last visit without having to check every sub-forum manually. Is such a function still existing in the new version?

Hi kenoxite,

thanks for taking your time into creating this list.

like many others, I have the problem that I cannot login as my original account, BUT the weird thing is that I didn't create a new account. Instead seemingly logged in as the BI account I created to be able to play Mini DayZ, plus my original account's avatar got lost somehow.

My original forums account:

https://forums.bistudio.com/user/891752-heeeeres-johnny/

My current account:

https://forums.bistudio.com/user/942564-here-is-johnny/

A problem might be that I'm using the same e-mail address and password for both accounts which could result in inconsistent data in the respective database(s) if the account identification happens by the combination of e-mail and password.

I hope this gets fixed (I'd like to use my original account) as I need to update a thread on a script I just recently updated.

Apart from that:

The new forum is obviously in need of getting used to, but I like the similarity to the DayZ Forums and I'm looking forward to the new features it provides.

Apart from that:

The new forum is obviously in need of getting used to, but I like the similarity to the DayZ Forums and I'm looking forward to the new features it provides.

Heck, even the dayZ forums look better than this

On hitting "post" (why's that called "post" anyway, shouldn't it be "send"?) I was redirected to a "You're not allowed to do that."-page.

It boggles my mind how such a thing is even possible. It's 2015 and we still haven't mastered simple forum software?!

Why is this stuff so stupidly fragile? Who is going to use this/write stuff in here if we can not have some faith/confidence in this thing?!

Then I was wondering where the "You have N unread posts." button has gone.

Yeah, that was indeed useful. Looks like we've just lost plenty of functionality. Or is this just the base-version of this forum software and things can be added back in the form of plugins/modules or what not?

Seeing how you can't adjust how many post you wanna have per page and that this is a deliberate decision/tradeoff, I somehow doubt this software has its priorities straight.

We'll see, I guess... :|

One more issue:

• Please increase that limit for the number of quotes you're allowed to make per post.

Or just get rid of this nonsense alltogether. When has anyone ever posted "too many quotes"?!

...oh, and the default set of smilies sucks goose balls.

Gib me the old, silly stuff back. Pretty please. 8)

There is an issue when you view new content.

Each time I do that and there are more than 2 pages, if you click to view page 3 with new content it will show you a new page with the new content but the pagination changes to only 2 pages, while I am viewing page 3. Its maybe bugged? (phun intended.....)

:D

I wonder if any testing was actually done before releasing....I am working on my new website for a long time already and it needs to be tested, so if you could be so kind to send me the list of people who tested yours I will make sure to not invite them.

Way to much posts here so I just post it, hopefully it has not been said before:

I have the problem that I don't get emails on new posts in followed threads (since all my subscriptions where deleted (-,-) I needed to subscribe to all the over 100 threads.) Before the update I got around 30-50 Emails a day of thread activity. Now I don't get ANY.

Yes I have subscribed to the threads and Yes I set them on "Instantly" or what ever the option says!

Look, I know someone has worked hard on this and believes it to be a good alternative to the old board. I also know it will feel very demoralising to have lots of people say its not worked out well.

But why is the board a strip down the centre of the screen, which seems very reminiscent of the really old transition period from CRT monitors to the flat screen variety (higher res widescreen), which did happen a while ago.

Does anyone play on a screen that this board fits. Because on mine, I have soo much wasted space down each side of the screen, I'm wondering if it was a bad idea to move over to a flat panel widescreen monitor, years ago. ;)

For all the good intentions and I'm sure there were plenty of good intentions to make a better more functional board. I have to say, as of now, it hasn't worked out, could we not at least stretch it to fit modern screens ?

Edit: and I can still like my own posts, which is silly.. But at least its fun. ;)

• Like 1