GTQA

Getting rid of daylight savings time

How do you think industry or people would be affected by getting rid of daylight savings time?  :rolleyes: :)

I don't know about the people or the industry, but I'd be really glad.  :D 

Nowadays it seems that the benefit of the daylight saving time is close to none, specially if you compare with all the issues that cause. 

• Like 1

EDIT: I didnt make sense.

In any case, i dont mind some extra daylight in the evening and couldn't give a crap about daylight in the early morning. We should have it all year round so i may be able to have some daylight after work in the winter as well.

EDIT2: I just realized we might as well just adjust job and shop opening hours then, but i guess that would be harder to achieve.  :P

How do you think industry or people would be affected by getting rid of daylight savings time?  :rolleyes:

Better, because it's BS. What use is 1h earlier daylight when instead it gets dark 1h earlier as well. So instead of having some daylight left when you come home, you come home in the dark instead thanks to "daylight saving time".

The $ the industry saves by that "trick" is ridiculously low. The big power consumers run 24/7  because 3 shifts...

I'm in Arizona, and I've been here for almost 10 years now. We don't observe DST, and I can say I don't see much of a difference. I never really pay attention to when the sun rises and sets, so it's not a big deal. The biggest difference for me is that my time in relation to the other time zones change twice a year, and that kind of sucks.

I would like it if DST was not practiced. Whenever we turn the clocks, it always screwes for like a month. I just dont see the purpose of having "one hour more of daylight" when it gets dark just as fast at night.

I just dont see the purpose of having "one hour more of daylight" when it gets dark just as fast at night.

Correction: it goes dark faster, because you had that "extra" hour of light in the morning when nobody cares about it.  So when you finally come home you have 1h less light to do nice things outside.

Better, because it's BS. What use is 1h earlier daylight when instead it gets dark 1h earlier as well. So instead of having some daylight left when you come home, you come home in the dark instead thanks to "daylight saving time".

The $ the industry saves by that "trick" is ridiculously low. The big power consumers run 24/7  because 3 shifts...

Because this "trick" comes from XIX century, where daylight was needed in increased production and effectives. Nowadays Daylight Saving are useless and only drive people mad when they have to come back homes and it's dark during winter. Not to mention DS causing severe effects on human health. Funny because in EU they talk a lot about health and wellbeing... There is more and more criticism towards DS each year and I hope DS will be dropped. Hello! We don't live in a damned XIX century and majority of the people do not work in factories with roof illumination.  

People wait the whole year for summer time when evenings are longer wheras winter time is horrible when it gets dark already that early.

You are comming home from work or whatever you do and with one hour more most are happy to enjoy the "prolonged" day for activities outside.

Back to winter time the whole year would be quiete bad and the living quality would suffer.....definately against getting rid of daylight saving time.

Because this "trick" comes from XIX century, where daylight was needed in increased production and effectives. Nowadays Daylight Saving are useless and only drive people mad when they have to come back homes and it's dark during winter. Not to mention DS causing severe effects on human health. Funny because in EU they talk a lot about health and wellbeing... There is more and more criticism towards DS each year and I hope DS will be dropped. Hello! We don't live in a damned XIX century and majority of the people do not work in factories with roof illumination.  

it is the other way around. daylight saving time = summer time.

if you ask me, i would keep the "summer time" during winters just as well. In todays world, not one really gives a fuck about having light @6am. Everyone cares about having some light after 5pm though...

• Like 2

I think daylights savings was intended for agricultural communities.... not sure how that applies to most societies with it now (specifically, Eastern Coast, USA)

It simply sucks. Now when I´m hungry it´s actually still too early to eat....

Pufu is right, daylight saving is the summer, so removing it would mean shorter evenings in the summer.